HomeFAQSearchRegisterUsergroupsBlogLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Share | 

Magic college symbols in mordheim terrain?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Pathfinder Dubstyles
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Magic college symbols in mordheim terrain?   Wed 4 Apr 2012 - 21:07

OK, i got the wonderful new witchfate tor and dreadstone blight terrain from GW, but they both have huge magic circles on the bases.

The warhammer timeline tells me mordheim was struck in 1999, and the colleges of magic were founded in 2305. DID THE SYMBOLS FOR THE COLLEGES OF MAGIC EXIST BEFORE THE FOUNDING OF THE COLLEGE?

I know Magnus the Pius razed Mordheim (can't find the date) and he was noted as being alive the year before the colleges were founded. Unless he was over 300 years old in 2305, mordheim existed for at least ~250 years before it was razed and plowed over by Magnus. Surely the symbols could have found their way into a wizards tower in mordheim before the founding of the colleges... right?

I would like to use this terrain without filing off the magic symbols, and i probably should not care enough about the timeline to ask such questions, Figgy is making fun of me as i type this!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.creativecasualty.net
Stronzo
Warlord
Warlord

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Beastmen (EIF) Beastmen (EIF)
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Magic college symbols in mordheim terrain?   Thu 5 Apr 2012 - 2:33

I really like the way you think here. In our group we debate fluff and timelines quite alot Smile . Ive been seaching the web for some information on the symbols you mention, however i cant seem to find any about their origin.
I think that the colleges, back when founded, would have picket up existing symbols rather then go to some designer and ask for an arcane logo Smile

On the other hand the exact combination of the symbols in a ruin in Mordheim so meny years before might seem off. But if you like the buildings as they are id suggest you keep them that way, for the above reason.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WarbossKurgan
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Magic college symbols in mordheim terrain?   Fri 6 Apr 2012 - 7:00

I would suggest that the symbols could be the elven runes for the winds of magic that they shared with the colleges when they were formed, rather than the symbols for the colleges themselves.

I have nothing to base this on but it gives you a good excuse to use Warhammer terrain in Mordheim games! Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.flameon.co.uk
Pathfinder Dubstyles
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: Magic college symbols in mordheim terrain?   Fri 6 Apr 2012 - 10:35

stronzo: fianaly someone cares about this pointless stuff as much as me!

kurgen: Reading descriptions of the winds of magic i see that wizards see the winds in its multicolor spectrum. The elves certainly did not invent the colors of magic when they founded the colleges for humans since they are a natural occurrence. They just did not believe humans could harness all of the colors equally to use high magic so they split it up into the 8 disciplines. Therefor it is safe to assume those are ancient elven runes.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.creativecasualty.net
Tintin
Warlord
Warlord

Trading Reputation : 4

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Magic college symbols in mordheim terrain?   Tue 10 Apr 2012 - 7:10

I agree with the above, the runes and symbols are arcane and of a much older origin than the Schools or Colleges them self, and naturally, they will use them, just like most of the religions of our own world have been adopting both symbolicm, sacred places and buildings, to make the transition to the "new" religion easier.
I would keep them, if you can justify that there have been arcane activities in the keep, wich I assume that you want to do.
There are absolutely more people around like your self, for instance, our Warhammer RPG group is very very very rigid in its Warhammer Old World lore, and nothing new is allowed to seep in to it what so ever, unless, it can be really justified by means of tying it to the old RPG lore.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Magic college symbols in mordheim terrain?   Today at 7:09

Back to top Go down

Magic college symbols in mordheim terrain?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1