Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Protective Coat Suggestions?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
wamez
Warrior
Warrior
wamez

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:
Achievements earned:

Protective Coat Suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Protective Coat Suggestions?   Protective Coat Suggestions? Icon_minitimeMon 11 Aug 2008 - 6:39

I've only ever used Testor's Matte Finish to protect my minis. Unfortunately, one of them took a fall and got chipped which made me wonder about the effectiveness of this one coat. I've heard of people using a gloss coat and then a matte coat since the gloss sprays theoretically dry harder, but I've always been afraid of screwing up the finished product. I really, really don't want shiny minis at the end of all this.

Has anyone tried the gloss/matte thing before? Do you have any other suggestions?
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Monks (BTB) Monks (BTB)
Achievements earned: Silver Tom Silver Tom

PostSubject: Re: Protective Coat Suggestions?   Protective Coat Suggestions? Icon_minitimeMon 11 Aug 2008 - 10:22

I have nothing to add except that I too am very curious about this. Anyone?
Back to top Go down
http://cianty-tabletop.blogspot.com/
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Protective Coat Suggestions?   Protective Coat Suggestions? Icon_minitimeMon 11 Aug 2008 - 11:27

Gloss Finishing/Sealing Spray is a more duable finish. SO.. if the model is going to be subject to a LOT of handling, or you're cloddy like moi, a light gloss spray followed [after it dries Suspect ] by a matte coat would be a excellent idea. CAVEAT: too heavy a coating of gloss CAN leave the deeper undercuts shiny after the matte finish is applied.

An alternative is to use a Workable Fixative [Krylon makes a very good one]. This type of spray is used to fix intermediate work with mediums like pastels, pencil, charcoals, etc.; it works like a gloss finish, but provides a better surface texture for addition coats; ergo, the matte finish will adhere better.
Back to top Go down
Admin Tom
Admin
Admin
Admin Tom

Trading Reputation : 12

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: Protective Coat Suggestions?   Protective Coat Suggestions? Icon_minitimeMon 11 Aug 2008 - 12:29

DeafNala wrote:
Krylon makes a very good one

Is that the stuff you spray on pencil drawings so that they don't get "blurred" when you touch them? I had no idea you could use that on minis!

*hurries over to cupboard where spraycan is kept*

DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Protective Coat Suggestions?   Protective Coat Suggestions? Icon_minitimeMon 11 Aug 2008 - 12:40

That's The Stuff! I sometime use watercolors as a mix with acrylics, AND the Workable Fixative is just the thing(y) to keep them from bleeding through.
Back to top Go down
ironbull
Hero
Hero
ironbull

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Protective Coat Suggestions?   Protective Coat Suggestions? Icon_minitimeThu 14 Aug 2008 - 3:30

I use mutiple coats of cheap gloss spray for protection followed by a coat of dullcoat. I just use the dollar a can cheap stuff from Wal-Mart. It is shiney and hard as a rock.

The trick is making sure you don't soak the miniatures with the spray. A light even coat does the job. Let it set and then hit it again. Most of my stuff has about three coats followed by the dullcoat flat layer on top. Might have to hit the mini twice with the dullcoat, but usually once does the trick.

I skip the gloss spray if I have dipped the mini in polyurethane (spelling?) and just go straight to the dullcoat.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Protective Coat Suggestions?   Protective Coat Suggestions? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Protective Coat Suggestions?
Page 1 of 1