HomeFAQSearchRegisterUsergroupsBlogLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Share | 

Game Mats/Surfaces...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TheEnemyWithin
Veteran
Veteran

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Beastmen (EIF) Beastmen (EIF)
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Game Mats/Surfaces...   Thu 22 Mar 2012 - 23:05

Hey ho peeps,

So here is the situation, I live in a very small flat with my fiancé. The only gaming surface we currently have at our disposal is a 2x4ft breakfast bar...this is unacceptable! I resolved that I must use all my powers of awesome to rectify this problem!

I would love to build a super awesome hardwood/insulation foam multi layered table of win...but alas storage in our flat is veeeery limited, this this isn't an option.

So I started looking for a cheap and easily storable way to put together a full sized gaming table.

After some research I discovered that I could pick up two fold out wall paper plastering tables for around £20-£30. They are each 2x6ft so in total would make a hefty 4x6ft when set up next to each other, but when folded up take up just a little but more space than a large briefcase...perfect!

This seemed like a good start...but I have run into a problem...If I set up the two tables side by side, the hinges cause a gap of a few cms along the length of the table...somewhat unsightly and potentially dangerous for model placement ^^'

So I am now looking for a 6x4ft gaming mat to cover the table and make it a bit more gaming friendly and ofc look a bit nicer.

GW have the battle mat for sale at £18...

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440158a&prodId=prod2060001

But its a bit... florescent and green for a mordheim table :S

Other than that I have had a look around the place, but never found a suitable gaming mat for mordheim, have you guys got any suggestions? What do you use?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Game Mats/Surfaces...   Fri 23 Mar 2012 - 0:27

The local store uses flet of various shades, some of them patterned.

timplanet uses an interesting blanket. I have painted canvas for sea battles. Table cloths have also been recommended in the past
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lendro Furioso
Hero
Hero

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven

PostSubject: Re: Game Mats/Surfaces...   Fri 23 Mar 2012 - 0:32

Trust me, I know what a problem storage space can be. Now, the only solution I can come up with is a Zuzzy mat. While a bit on the expensive side (around 52$ for a 4x6 surface), they are storable, since they can be rolled up. I don't particularly like the Flagston Paven because of the squares, which really make a difference in Mordheim. They seem to be developing a new Fieldstone one, though, as seen on their main page, so you might want to wait for that.

Have you thought about making modular insulation foam (or whatever) blocks in 30x30 cm (or 1 foot) squares? These could be easily stacked for storage, although a lot more work to build. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheEnemyWithin
Veteran
Veteran

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Game Mats/Surfaces...   Fri 23 Mar 2012 - 0:49

Yeah, I had a look before and would absolutely love one of the zuzzy mats, but they would come in at around about £100 by the time I imported it to Scotland and paid import tax etc etc :'(

I've never heard of "flet" before, do you have some images/links I can have a look at?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pervavita
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Amazons (Unofficial) Amazons (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Game Mats/Surfaces...   Fri 23 Mar 2012 - 4:13

I think he means Felt (as flet would be a way to prepare a fish to eat).

A table cloth is the cheapest but i'm not sure to what extent you have your problem of the gap so that may not fix it.
A cheap/easy to pack fix may be to get a cardboard tire section display board that can go over your table and then throw the table cloth/felt over it all. That way you cover the gap and only have a small level change at one side or the other of your board or just in the center.
I know they make those display boards of good size so you may find one that can cover the whole 4x6 span at a craft store
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheEnemyWithin
Veteran
Veteran

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Game Mats/Surfaces...   Fri 23 Mar 2012 - 4:42

Pervavita wrote:

Hah, I thought so ^^ just wondered if it was a strange brand name or something ^^'

Pervavita wrote:
A table cloth is the cheapest but i'm not sure to what extent you have your problem of the gap so that may not fix it.
A cheap/easy to pack fix may be to get a cardboard tire section display board that can go over your table and then throw the table cloth/felt over it all. That way you cover the gap and only have a small level change at one side or the other of your board or just in the center.
I know they make those display boards of good size so you may find one that can cover the whole 4x6 span at a craft store

The gap shouldn't be a problem as long as there is something bridging it, it's only a few cms as it is so I wont need any physical structure to fill it or anything.

The real problem i'm encountering is the lack of any grey/brown battlemats...why are they all green!? xD

I wonder...does anybody have any experience with staining/painting the citadel battlemat?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
qboid
Elder
Elder

PostSubject: Re: Game Mats/Surfaces...   Fri 23 Mar 2012 - 7:29

I would have suggested Mat-O-War, their urban mats were perfect for Mordheim, but i have found out that they are no longer being made.
So i too am still looking for something suitable.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Game Mats/Surfaces...   Fri 23 Mar 2012 - 14:55

Pervavita wrote:

Yeah, felt. Thanks for the translation. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
opaque
Knight
Knight

PostSubject: Re: Game Mats/Surfaces...   Fri 23 Mar 2012 - 19:01

storage is a Problem for many of us. I´m permanently looking for some solutions of this Problem. For now i solved the Problem, using a Table made from 3 insulation boards each 120cm x60cmx5cm (about 4ftx2ftx2inch). I linked the board with adhesive tape, for sticking together, but can be fold for tranport or storage reason. ( if you fold it it looks like this: /\/ ) I ad two pictures, one unfolded and one folded:

A second option i didn´t tried myself until now, but seem to get good results is to build a battlemat by your own. Here are some links how it works. If you able to understand German, the sweetwater one is the best i´ve found until now.
http://www.sweetwater-forum.de/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=6661&pageNo=1
http://www.ulmer-strategen.de/Spieltisch-Matte.htm
http://finiatures.blogspot.de/2011/09/making-terrain-mat.html
http://www.flickr.com/photos/36331979@N00/3064009156/in/set-72157610259987470/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/war_artisan/2752048540/in/set-72157606657233854/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JoaoS
Etheral
Etheral

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Game Mats/Surfaces...   Sat 24 Mar 2012 - 20:44

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fistful-minis.blogspot.co.uk/
TheEnemyWithin
Veteran
Veteran

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Game Mats/Surfaces...   Sun 25 Mar 2012 - 7:16

The use of towelling material is rather interesting (and looks great to boot) but I wonder how much the paint etc would crack/flake off if I was to be rolling it up for storage :S
Back to top Go down
View user profile
opaque
Knight
Knight

PostSubject: Re: Game Mats/Surfaces...   Sun 25 Mar 2012 - 8:22

as i read in forum it is the fear of most the people who didn´t tried it. But they say if you give the color into the acryl it won´t crack anything because of the flexibility of the acryl. I didn´t tried for myself but the guys who did, some of them had build several mats and wrote it works fine. Because of this i will go and give it a try (i i found the time). I will post the results if i did so.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JoaoS
Etheral
Etheral

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Game Mats/Surfaces...   Sun 25 Mar 2012 - 11:01

Yes, it's perfecty ok to paint the blankets with acrylics. My friend Tim has had his painted blanket for over two years now and it's still as new.

Why don't you give it a go with a small piece of cloth as a test? You can also check sites that teach you how to dye fabrics with different colours.

Joao
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fistful-minis.blogspot.co.uk/
Sgt. Mulcayhee
Captain
Captain

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Averlanders Averlanders

PostSubject: Re: Game Mats/Surfaces...   Sun 25 Mar 2012 - 11:09

Lendro Furioso wrote:
Trust me, I know what a problem storage space can be. Now, the only solution I can come up with is a Zuzzy mat. While a bit on the expensive side (around 52$ for a 4x6 surface), they are storable, since they can be rolled up. I don't particularly like the Flagston Paven because of the squares, which really make a difference in Mordheim. They seem to be developing a new Fieldstone one, though, as seen on their main page, so you might want to wait for that.

Have you thought about making modular insulation foam (or whatever) blocks in 30x30 cm (or 1 foot) squares? These could be easily stacked for storage, although a lot more work to build. Good luck!

Thanks for the link, but I think I prefer this one, since it doesn't have the pre-measured squares. I think the flagstone is more authentic, but isn't in enough of a random pattern.

http://www.zuzzy.com/wc-bb-001-terra-flex-gaming-mat.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheEnemyWithin
Veteran
Veteran

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Game Mats/Surfaces...   Sun 25 Mar 2012 - 21:33

JoaoS wrote:
Yes, it's perfecty ok to paint the blankets with acrylics. My friend Tim has had his painted blanket for over two years now and it's still as new.

Why don't you give it a go with a small piece of cloth as a test? You can also check sites that teach you how to dye fabrics with different colours.

Joao

Thanks for all the info, this looks like it will be the best option at this stage.

I found a good website to order it from if you're in the UK...

http://www.fabricuk.com/fabrics.php?fabric_type=196

You get a good choice of colours and for a 4x6ft board I'll only need to order 2 meters (at £9.99 per meter so about £20 all in) and you can even order a test piece for 50p. I'll get a small piece and test it out with paints etc to see what it comes out like, I'll post up the results when it's done ^^

Thanks again everybody!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
timplanet
Hero
Hero

PostSubject: Re: Game Mats/Surfaces...   Sun 25 Mar 2012 - 21:58

Hey,

Well with Joao plugging my blanket technique I thought I'd better weigh in.

It cost me £25 for the "towelling material" itself from a fabric shop, then I bought some black dye (which I wouldn't have needed if the towelling had been black to start with).

I then bought tester pots from a DIY store that mixed the colours I wanted and did it with them.

I haven't written a tutorial a such but if you look at my
bridge tutorial it tells you how I did it there because I used the same technique for the bridge surface.

The war blanket is literally the best money I ever spent on Little Men. It has immeasurably improved my gaming experience (I paint the model bases the same colour). With books underneath it can be used in any configuration.

And it feels soft to the touch. I have a snow and wilderness war blanket, both of which have not aged at all.

The best thing is that the wilderness one looks as great for street scenes as it does for country.

Here are some pictures.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://necropolishorrorskirmish.blogspot.com/
TheEnemyWithin
Veteran
Veteran

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Game Mats/Surfaces...   Sun 25 Mar 2012 - 23:33

Thanks a bunch Tim, it really does look great and will work especially well with my concept of a "return to mordheim" campaign, where the city is older and overgrown etc with mutant plant life and what not spreading through the city.

The website I linked sells various colours that may work well for people looking for different surfaces without having to worry about dying the base material.

Couple quick question though, did you water down the tester pots to drybrush the fabric, or use it neat? and How much paint do you reckon you would need for a 4x6ft table? ^^

Thanks again!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
timplanet
Hero
Hero

PostSubject: Re: Game Mats/Surfaces...   Sun 25 Mar 2012 - 23:48

Hey,

I didn't water down the paint, I just drybrushed it as it was.

I don't remember exactly how much paint I used but it wasn't that much. And it was a quick process. I did the whole thing in one evening.

Did you see the detail I put in my bridge tutorial on colours and technique?
Back to top Go down
TheEnemyWithin
Veteran
Veteran

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Game Mats/Surfaces...   Sun 25 Mar 2012 - 23:56

Indeed, it's an especially nice touch basing your minis/buildings with the same drybrush layers ^^ it will really allow pretty much any piece of scenery you want to blend in with the mat, and I assume since the towelling is fairly soft it looks like the weight of the terrain will actually makes it "sink" into the mat a bit, making the blending even better.

Definitely going to give this a shot, any advice on storing the mat when you're not using it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
timplanet
Hero
Hero

PostSubject: Re: Game Mats/Surfaces...   Mon 26 Mar 2012 - 1:32

Well you need to watch out for creasing, but other than that, it can be stored as small as you can fold it. You could even hang it in a wardrobe!

I'm blessed with having finally achieved that most lofty of goals: my own war room, so I tend to leave mine out. The snow blanket is tucked on a shelf somewhere.

The trick, as you can see here, is to go for variations of tone rather than too flat a colour. The colours I chose for my wilderness blanket work for anything from desert or town to jungle. The context of the other scenery makes that difference in the viewers mind.

My next mission is to come up with a solution for the model base colour that allows them to go on both wilderness and snow without looking out of place!

Back to top Go down
timplanet
Hero
Hero

PostSubject: Re: Game Mats/Surfaces...   Mon 26 Mar 2012 - 1:40

Just had a thought (after discussing with Joao)...

The critical thing when buying the material is to get fabric (like towelling) that has a lot of texture to pick up the drybrushing. A smoother blanket would probably look terrible.

Post some pictures when you're done!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Game Mats/Surfaces...   Today at 5:22

Back to top Go down

Game Mats/Surfaces...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1