Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Cathay Style WIP

Go down 
+13
Captain Bernhardt
oldschoolgameroo
JoaoS
Squig
floedebolle
Von Kurst
quidamcorvus
opaque
qboid
DeafNala
Theorox
The_Ferret
izmerul
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Theorox
Warlord
Warlord
Theorox

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: none

Cathay Style WIP - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cathay Style WIP   Cathay Style WIP - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 19 Mar 2012 - 19:07

I like them! Smile I'd personally hit the wall surfaces with a brown wash, to blend the colours and bring the highlights down a bit. That wood looks awesome, great job on that. It looks very realistic!

Theo
Back to top Go down
opaque
Knight
Knight
opaque

PostSubject: Re: Cathay Style WIP   Cathay Style WIP - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 19 Mar 2012 - 20:05

they look really beautiful. I like the ocre on the walls, the red on the woodwork and the grey stones. All this colors fit together nicely. You really did a good job on this walls.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Cathay Style WIP   Cathay Style WIP - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 19 Mar 2012 - 20:33

The painting is turning out VERY NICELY. I'm used to the orange roofing tiles of Italian or Spanish sort, so the grey throws me off. Be that as it may, you're doing a FINE job. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
izmerul
Veteran
Veteran
izmerul

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Cathay Style WIP   Cathay Style WIP - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 20 Mar 2012 - 1:36

Thanks guys!

@Theo i think you're right, I deepened the shadows a bit too much on these, I've changed it a bit since and should be better on the next walls

@Deaf YOU of all people thrown off by something unconventional? I find it hard to beleive What a Face
Back to top Go down
izmerul
Veteran
Veteran
izmerul

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Cathay Style WIP   Cathay Style WIP - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 21 Mar 2012 - 2:12

They are almost complete ! only 2 L sections left to paint and i've done the bases.

Thanks to JOAO for the inspiration for the bases, and to ALL OF YOU who texture their blue foam for inspiration on the rest!

Cathayan Monk 1

Cathay Style WIP - Page 2 Wip8
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Cathay Style WIP   Cathay Style WIP - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 21 Mar 2012 - 2:51

VERY WELL DONE! I like the red gate & trim...breaks up the white & grey nicely. The groundwork looks TERRIFIC. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Cathay Style WIP   Cathay Style WIP - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 21 Mar 2012 - 3:24

The finished product looks great! I like how versitile it is. Perhaps some ruined sections?
Back to top Go down
izmerul
Veteran
Veteran
izmerul

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Cathay Style WIP   Cathay Style WIP - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 22 Mar 2012 - 7:26

Thank you Deaf! yeah it's amazing what a little bit of sand will do!

@ VK yes i'll make some ruins eventually, i'll try to make a step by step guide when I do it!

Didnt paint the last 2 walls yet as I needed to get my mind of of it for a bit, but i've progressed on the first building/cottage

Trying to keep it simple but give it some details to be sure we know it's Asia, here's what it looks like so far:

Cathay Style WIP - Page 2 House1-6

And some in progress pictures:

Cathay Style WIP - Page 2 Th_house1-5
Cathay Style WIP - Page 2 Th_house1-4
Cathay Style WIP - Page 2 Th_house1-3
Cathay Style WIP - Page 2 Th_house1-2
Cathay Style WIP - Page 2 Th_house1-1
Back to top Go down
opaque
Knight
Knight
opaque

PostSubject: Re: Cathay Style WIP   Cathay Style WIP - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 23 Mar 2012 - 6:11

a nice building with a strong asian style. Ilike it a lot. It seem like you textured the floor, are you able to remove the roof an play inside?
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Cathay Style WIP   Cathay Style WIP - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 23 Mar 2012 - 10:17

LOOKIN' GOOD! You have a flair for things with an Oriental flavor. The roof & woodwork are especially well done. Keep it coming! thumbsup

If you're planning on cutting out the windows, heating your knife blade over a candle makes cutting easy. What a Face

Last edited by DeafNala on Sat 24 Mar 2012 - 10:57; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
izmerul
Veteran
Veteran
izmerul

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Cathay Style WIP   Cathay Style WIP - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 24 Mar 2012 - 9:19

Thanks guys!

@Opaque: unfortunatly no ... i'd done the floor just in case, but with all the pinning involved i couldnt make the roof removable. i'll try to find a way for the next one though.

@Deaf: I may need to use that soon, i'm not specially happy about the window on the right and will probably cut it out and redo it in balsa Smile

I finally finished the L sections and painted all the sides black on the walls, so here's a picture of them REALLY finished with the wittle house in context:

Cathay Style WIP - Page 2 Wip9
Back to top Go down
qboid
Elder
Elder
qboid

PostSubject: Re: Cathay Style WIP   Cathay Style WIP - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 24 Mar 2012 - 10:37

That looks fantastic mate!
The separate little building looks great as an outbuilding.
Any plans to build a tiered pagoda house (i don't know what they are called) as a centre piece?

Back to top Go down
Squig
Captain
Captain
Squig

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Cathay Style WIP   Cathay Style WIP - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 24 Mar 2012 - 11:12

Simply superb!
I like it very much. Very Happy

Keep up the wonderful work.
Back to top Go down
opaque
Knight
Knight
opaque

PostSubject: Re: Cathay Style WIP   Cathay Style WIP - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 24 Mar 2012 - 11:57

it´s wonderful, i want to play with this. unfortunatly you can not move inside the building, but the atmosphere it creates helps a lot not to feel to sad about it.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Cathay Style WIP   Cathay Style WIP - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 24 Mar 2012 - 12:13

NICE PROGRESS! The building is coming along VERY NICELY. Filling up the courtyard area has a lot of possible modeling projects involved...you will notice that finishing one piece necessitates doing a couple more to accompany the first. What a Face
Back to top Go down
JoaoS
Etheral
Etheral
JoaoS

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Cathay Style WIP   Cathay Style WIP - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 25 Mar 2012 - 9:32

izmerul wrote:

Thanks to JOAO for the inspiration for the bases, and to ALL OF YOU who texture their blue foam for inspiration on the rest!

You're welcome! Wow, the whole setting is looking stunning! Now I need to start building something similar for my far-eastern scenarios.

Smile

Joao
Back to top Go down
http://fistful-minis.blogspot.co.uk/
izmerul
Veteran
Veteran
izmerul

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Cathay Style WIP   Cathay Style WIP - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 26 Mar 2012 - 12:19

Thanks a lot guys! I just pressed the thank you button but i dont really know what it does ... i thought it thanked the person but aparently it thanks the thread? I dont get it Razz

Anyway please go for it Joao! The more the merrier! And it would be great to see what you can do with it, you've got some wonderful terrain already!

qboid wrote:
That looks fantastic mate!
The separate little building looks great as an outbuilding.
Any plans to build a tiered pagoda house (i don't know what they are called) as a centre piece?

Cheers qboid, and i dont want to say too much too quick because already this week-end my progress was stopped by work (and a lot of alcohol Embarassed ), I also only just finished looking through Cianty's thread about his Cathay terain ( Cianty's Cathay Terrain Thread ) and if HE had trouble finishing ... i dont want to give false hope until I figure it out :S

I'm thinking of something but not THAT huge Razz
Back to top Go down
izmerul
Veteran
Veteran
izmerul

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Cathay Style WIP   Cathay Style WIP - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 28 Mar 2012 - 7:01

Well i've slowed down quite a bit Razz I'm getting stuck on little things for the house and there are a couple of things i havent had time to buy to finish it off. (need something for the wall texture ...)

Soooo I decided that starting the base of the next project would be easier for now, and I can jump from one to the other depending on my mood bounce

So here's a small begining ... 3 floors planned

Cathay Style WIP - Page 2 DSC_0001
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Cathay Style WIP   Cathay Style WIP - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 28 Mar 2012 - 12:37

NICE START! You do some very nice stonework. thumbsup
I've found moving from one part of a project to another speeds things along...I don't waste time staring at a piece that I'm stuck on. Remembering to get back to it can sometimes prove problematic though. clown
Back to top Go down
oldschoolgameroo
Knight
Knight
oldschoolgameroo

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Cathay Style WIP   Cathay Style WIP - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 29 Mar 2012 - 1:53

Impressive work mate! The stone work is very nice and enjoy the different style you are going for.
Back to top Go down
izmerul
Veteran
Veteran
izmerul

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Cathay Style WIP   Cathay Style WIP - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 29 Mar 2012 - 4:20

Thanks Gameroo! And I'll keep that in mind Deaf!

It's strange but I really LOVE doing the stonework ... I get lost in it, could do it all day ... Is there anyway I can make a normal living doing that?

EDIT: I need a suitable name for my 'scale' armless bite you to death anyway mega-marine in ubber armor, with skullz. so if you know a good one!

Cathay Style WIP - Page 2 Temple2
Back to top Go down
oldschoolgameroo
Knight
Knight
oldschoolgameroo

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Cathay Style WIP   Cathay Style WIP - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 29 Mar 2012 - 4:34

hey quick question, are the gate doors, removable? Just wondering if not how that effects your gameplay.
Back to top Go down
izmerul
Veteran
Veteran
izmerul

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Cathay Style WIP   Cathay Style WIP - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 29 Mar 2012 - 5:30

oldschoolgameroo wrote:
hey quick question, are the gate doors, removable? Just wondering if not how that effects your gameplay.

See now THIS is where i'm limited lol, i've never actually played Mordheim ... and no they arent removable but I WILL make sure I think about it for next time! Thanks for asking, it will make my next creations better ^_^!

It's because of the "true" line of sight is it? I'm sure with a couple of "open" "closed" counters and a string you can figure out if your model would see the guy through the door. and then consider him in "cover" for shooting or what not?

Some of the real gamers around can certainly give you a clearer analysis!
Back to top Go down
oldschoolgameroo
Knight
Knight
oldschoolgameroo

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Cathay Style WIP   Cathay Style WIP - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 30 Mar 2012 - 23:58

Cool, was just wondering. An easy way to do it in the future, that will allow you to keep the style would be to make the top of the gates slots and you could just slide them in to show closed gates. The ornamental pieces at the tops can be your 'pull tabs'
Back to top Go down
Captain Bernhardt
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Captain Bernhardt

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

PostSubject: Re: Cathay Style WIP   Cathay Style WIP - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 2 Apr 2012 - 22:06

just wanted to say some great stuff in here!
that's all Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cathay Style WIP   Cathay Style WIP - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cathay Style WIP
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next