Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Thinking about Dwarf Treasure Hunters

Go down 
+9
BalrogTheBuff
Aureus
Pervavita
catachanfrog
Saranor
Grumbaki
SaltyWendigo
Vohlere
Edyy
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Edyy
Captain
Captain
Edyy

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs
Achievements earned: none

dwarf - Thinking about Dwarf Treasure Hunters Empty
PostSubject: Thinking about Dwarf Treasure Hunters   dwarf - Thinking about Dwarf Treasure Hunters Icon_minitimeSun 12 Feb 2012 - 22:36

I've played possessed for the past few years but I found them a little 1D so I'm thinking of starting a Dwarf warband when I can afford the time/money (oh and find a new gaming group) so I was just wondering what kind of setup people would recommend.

Oh and does anyone know of anywhere (in the uk or that ships there cheaply) that I could pick up some cheap minis maybe even second hand.
Back to top Go down
Vohlere

Vohlere

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Middenheimers Middenheimers

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about Dwarf Treasure Hunters   dwarf - Thinking about Dwarf Treasure Hunters Icon_minitimeMon 13 Feb 2012 - 0:22

Hey man, if you havent read it already, me and a friend are starting Mordheim too and we're in Cheltenham, so if you ever fancy a game we arent that far. As for mini's let me know if you find somewhere to get them second hand, we're trying to get a few warbands between us.
Back to top Go down
SaltyWendigo
Hero
Hero
SaltyWendigo

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about Dwarf Treasure Hunters   dwarf - Thinking about Dwarf Treasure Hunters Icon_minitimeTue 14 Feb 2012 - 23:19

Ebay usually has a good sells for single dwarf GW minis(Since you will only need 2 dwarf slayers and such).
Also check out reaper they have some great dwarf minis :http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/Dwarf

Tactically, As far as setup I this is my favorite one I've determined for a beginning campaign:

Dwarf Noble : Crossbow Helmet ,Hammer, Pistol
Dwarf Engineer : Crossbow Helmet, Hammer
Dwarf TrollSlayer : 2x Hammers
Dwarf TrollSlayer : 2x Hammers
2 Dwarf Tunderers : Crossbows Helmets, Hammers
Cost: 494

Granted that setup is boring so the core advice I would give you is max your Heroes and having at least 3 Crossbows. The reason I push for Crossbows is that Dwarfs are slow and you will need to "encourage" you opponents to engage you. Also get Ropes and Hooks for your Heroes asap.

Edyy wrote:
I've played possessed for the past few years but I found them a little 1D so I'm thinking of starting a Dwarf warband when I can afford the time/money (oh and find a new gaming group) so I was just wondering what kind of setup people would recommend.

Oh and does anyone know of anywhere (in the uk or that ships there cheaply) that I could pick up some cheap minis maybe even second hand.
Back to top Go down
Grumbaki
Knight
Knight
Grumbaki

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about Dwarf Treasure Hunters   dwarf - Thinking about Dwarf Treasure Hunters Icon_minitimeWed 15 Feb 2012 - 1:03

Nobles can't have Crossbows, unfortunately. One thing to consider is a screen of beardlings. I've used it before to good effect. Cheap enough to replace, tough enough to last by themselves. Back them up with crossbows and you are good to go.
Back to top Go down
SaltyWendigo
Hero
Hero
SaltyWendigo

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about Dwarf Treasure Hunters   dwarf - Thinking about Dwarf Treasure Hunters Icon_minitimeWed 15 Feb 2012 - 1:32

Your are correct, I have been just awful with rules today. I never liked taking beardings mainly because having possibly LD:10, WS:5 or BS:4 henchmen always seemed better in the long run.

Grumbaki wrote:
Nobles can't have Crossbows, unfortunately. One thing to consider is a screen of beardlings. I've used it before to good effect. Cheap enough to replace, tough enough to last by themselves. Back them up with crossbows and you are good to go.
Back to top Go down
Grumbaki
Knight
Knight
Grumbaki

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about Dwarf Treasure Hunters   dwarf - Thinking about Dwarf Treasure Hunters Icon_minitimeWed 15 Feb 2012 - 2:12

SaltyWendigo wrote:
Your are correct, I have been just awful with rules today. I never liked taking beardings mainly because having possibly LD:10, WS:5 or BS:4 henchmen always seemed better in the long run.

Grumbaki wrote:

Aye, I always felt the same way. It's just the cost that gets to me. When a clansman dies, it hurts. When a beardling dies, it is more managable. My first three dwarf warbands I played with clansmen. In my last one I used beardlings, and I actually liked it better.
Back to top Go down
SaltyWendigo
Hero
Hero
SaltyWendigo

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about Dwarf Treasure Hunters   dwarf - Thinking about Dwarf Treasure Hunters Icon_minitimeWed 15 Feb 2012 - 2:19

Yeah I can see where the cost becomes an issue. I've had good luck in the past, but I play a big defensive game with my dwarfs since I can't win a footrace. I'll have to try some beardlings out I suppose.
Back to top Go down
Edyy
Captain
Captain
Edyy

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about Dwarf Treasure Hunters   dwarf - Thinking about Dwarf Treasure Hunters Icon_minitimeWed 15 Feb 2012 - 4:36

I thought about trying to get as many crossbows as possible but then like in your list @SaltyWendigo I could only get a few warriors and I think I want at least 3-4 henchmen just so that I can try to avoid my heroes going OoA. So do you reckon I could get away with one crossbow for the Engineer and then a few guys with pistols instead just to save a bit of money?

Heres what I had in mind:

Noble with Hammer and Pistol
Engineer with Crossbow
2 Slayers with Halberd

2 Clansmen with Hammer and Pistol
Thunderer with Pistol
Beardlings with Shield

499gc
Back to top Go down
Saranor
Warlord
Warlord
Saranor

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Shadow Warriors (Unofficial) Shadow Warriors (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about Dwarf Treasure Hunters   dwarf - Thinking about Dwarf Treasure Hunters Icon_minitimeWed 15 Feb 2012 - 10:22

Do you have any houserules?

Particularly dwarfs should consider Gromril armor, if there are houserules that improve them.

Regarding the minis you should try to build a rough warband with 12 minis or better 15-20 minis that you can switch modells (if you want more clansmen with 2hand weapon or more thunderer etc):
1xNoble axe+shield
2x Slayer 2handed weapons or 2 weapons
1x Engineer crossbow
4x thunderer crossbow
4x clansmen ....

It dosn't help, if you get money after your first game and you have no minis do use them.
Back to top Go down
catachanfrog
Elder
Elder
catachanfrog

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about Dwarf Treasure Hunters   dwarf - Thinking about Dwarf Treasure Hunters Icon_minitimeWed 15 Feb 2012 - 12:27

Back to top Go down
Pervavita
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pervavita

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Amazons (Unofficial) Amazons (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about Dwarf Treasure Hunters   dwarf - Thinking about Dwarf Treasure Hunters Icon_minitimeWed 15 Feb 2012 - 15:19

Dwarfs are a tough nut to crack. Speed is there one true weakness and to over come it you need to be able to shoot well. a few x-bows to over come this is best.
other then that I say the number of troops you start with is not that important with them as you have a higher Ld then most warbands as well. granted don't throw your guys away thinking you will never rout though. It will be hard for you to recruit past 8 guys to start and have equipment. If you push for that 9 mile stone then odds are you will have to win the battles in a scrap with no shooting.
2-3 x-bows and try to win with those with the rest of your dwarfs with hammer/dagger mix to get in close to win the day.

also don't be afraid to get 2 handed weapons. the strike last rule isn't going to hurt you much with dwarfs. you have Initiative 2 so odds are good your striking last any way in most cases, why not get the +2 strength if you can.
Back to top Go down
Aureus
Veteran
Veteran
Aureus

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about Dwarf Treasure Hunters   dwarf - Thinking about Dwarf Treasure Hunters Icon_minitimeWed 15 Feb 2012 - 15:57

Never forget about mercs. They can easily balance out some of dwarfs weaknesses, and you have quite a few to chose from (mercs, I mean). I would recommend tilean marksman or imperial assasin at the beginning. Depends on what you intend to boost more, ranged combat or melee. Marksman doesnt benefit from engineers skill, but he should always hit on 3+ (Though in our games he is cursed - lots of bad rolls). Imperial assasin has poisoned everything, lots of cool stuff and excellent stats. With gold earned from Incomparable miners skill you can easily afford a merc without hindering your progress much.
Back to top Go down
BalrogTheBuff
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
BalrogTheBuff

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about Dwarf Treasure Hunters   dwarf - Thinking about Dwarf Treasure Hunters Icon_minitimeWed 15 Feb 2012 - 18:15

Halfling Scout is your friend. Extra warband member for dirt cheap. Plus he cooks. And he can move around the battlefield quickly. His cheap cost and decent Ld makes him an ok choice for sacrificing himself to slow down enemies until your stunties can catch up.
Back to top Go down
DjCloudo
Youngblood
Youngblood
DjCloudo

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about Dwarf Treasure Hunters   dwarf - Thinking about Dwarf Treasure Hunters Icon_minitimeWed 21 Mar 2012 - 10:30

Slayers should only ever use 2 Dwarf axe's add a beardling with a shield and light armour in front of him to absorb shots on the way to the combats, arrows are Slayers only weakness 1st skill up get Master of Blades
Back to top Go down
TheEnemyWithin
Veteran
Veteran
TheEnemyWithin

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Beastmen (EIF) Beastmen (EIF)

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about Dwarf Treasure Hunters   dwarf - Thinking about Dwarf Treasure Hunters Icon_minitimeWed 21 Mar 2012 - 12:03

DjCloudo wrote:
Slayers should only ever use 2 Dwarf axe's add a beardling with a shield and light armour in front of him to absorb shots on the way to the combats, arrows are Slayers only weakness 1st skill up get Master of Blades

Shhhhhhhh!...Don't mention Master of Blades...It makes my Beastmen cry xD
Back to top Go down
DjCloudo
Youngblood
Youngblood
DjCloudo

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about Dwarf Treasure Hunters   dwarf - Thinking about Dwarf Treasure Hunters Icon_minitimeWed 21 Mar 2012 - 12:06

Slayers parrying 6 with re-rolls Muhaha
Back to top Go down
TheEnemyWithin
Veteran
Veteran
TheEnemyWithin

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about Dwarf Treasure Hunters   dwarf - Thinking about Dwarf Treasure Hunters Icon_minitimeWed 21 Mar 2012 - 12:13

DjCloudo wrote:
Slayers parrying 6 with re-rolls Muhaha

Don't forget you can parry TWO attacks...when rolling EQUAL TOO or over...and you can re-roll failed parrys ;_; One of the single most imbalanced skills available in the official warbands imo xD
Back to top Go down
DjCloudo
Youngblood
Youngblood
DjCloudo

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about Dwarf Treasure Hunters   dwarf - Thinking about Dwarf Treasure Hunters Icon_minitimeWed 21 Mar 2012 - 13:40

Even better when I write the rules up for doom seekers whirling blades of death
Back to top Go down
DjCloudo
Youngblood
Youngblood
DjCloudo

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about Dwarf Treasure Hunters   dwarf - Thinking about Dwarf Treasure Hunters Icon_minitimeWed 21 Mar 2012 - 13:46

And balance wise dwarfs don't get magic at a starting level so that's a balance
Back to top Go down
TheEnemyWithin
Veteran
Veteran
TheEnemyWithin

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about Dwarf Treasure Hunters   dwarf - Thinking about Dwarf Treasure Hunters Icon_minitimeWed 21 Mar 2012 - 13:59

DjCloudo wrote:
And balance wise dwarfs don't get magic at a starting level so that's a balance

Hm? Plenty of warbands don't have magic heroes at their disposal o.O that's not a balance issue at all (Unlike some warbands they can also hire plenty of magic users).

Master of Blades is imbalanced simply because no other one skill does so much for a hero as it does. Hell just look at the wall of text attached to it! Most skills give your character one additional buff/ability...Master of Blades gives you three xD.

It's pretty much always going to be the first skill any dwarf axe wielding warrior will take as it suddenly makes your dwarf almost un-killable in close combat versus any other normal warrior. You're only effective counter to it is to try and play "keep away" with them...at which point the crossbowmen can simply rip you to shreds xD

Ofc that is all just in a straight up fight, not really a realistic representation of tabletop/scenario tactics ^^'
Back to top Go down
5pointer
Elder
Elder
5pointer

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about Dwarf Treasure Hunters   dwarf - Thinking about Dwarf Treasure Hunters Icon_minitimeWed 21 Mar 2012 - 22:29

Cloudo - There are rules on here for a Slayer Cult:-

https://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/t1548-slayer-cult-warband-rules

It includes Doomseekers with the option for Whirling Blades Smile

Back to top Go down
DjCloudo
Youngblood
Youngblood
DjCloudo

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about Dwarf Treasure Hunters   dwarf - Thinking about Dwarf Treasure Hunters Icon_minitimeThu 22 Mar 2012 - 0:04

My starter list I have used for the past 5 years
Use the beardlings to cover the slayers on the run into combat

1 Noble 85
1 Dwarf Axe 15
1 Shield 5
1 Gromril Armour 75
1 Helmet 10 190

1 Engineer 50
1 Crossbow 25
1 Light Armour 20 95

Troll Slayer 50
2x Dwarf Axe 30 80

Troll Slayer 50
1 Dwarf Axe 15 65

Beardling 25
Axe 5
Shield 5

Beardling 25
Axe 5
Shield 5

Back to top Go down
Edyy
Captain
Captain
Edyy

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about Dwarf Treasure Hunters   dwarf - Thinking about Dwarf Treasure Hunters Icon_minitimeThu 22 Mar 2012 - 13:05

I was going to avoid the master of blades skill because it just seemed a little too good so I was going to set my slayers up with the double attacks on the turn they charge skill for their first skill. And on the the gromril totting tank approach I played a test out of dwarfs a few months ago with the gromril badass because who can resist the temptation of getting gromrill for half price and no rarity rolls? But only ended up with about 6 guys and got ripped to shreds by my mates reikladers Sad (we play with quite a lot of scenery but most of our buildings are at least 3 storey high turning me into pin cushions while my dwarfs attempted to drag their stumpy little bodies up to the top) so I think its probably worth trading the gromrill for a couple of beardlings/pistols and crosbows but I still need to it out test out (hopefully this easter if revision for my exams goes well) and also is the light armour really necessary for the engineer? wouldn't he be better served by a shield and dwarf axe? or just send him in armourless and put the 20 towards another crossbow or pistol?
Back to top Go down
Pervavita
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pervavita

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Amazons (Unofficial) Amazons (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about Dwarf Treasure Hunters   dwarf - Thinking about Dwarf Treasure Hunters Icon_minitimeThu 22 Mar 2012 - 16:17

I say it's a solid list too. But the 20 gold for a 6+ AS is a waist. if your playing house rules then ok I can see it but at the early part of the game it seams a waist.
better to save the 20 gold in the bank for more dwarfs latter (as they have a high cost) or throw a x-bow (- shield) on one of your beardlings... or throw helmets on the two beardlings if you want them as scrappers.
Back to top Go down
aviphysics
Champion
Champion
aviphysics

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about Dwarf Treasure Hunters   dwarf - Thinking about Dwarf Treasure Hunters Icon_minitimeThu 22 Mar 2012 - 20:23

To me it seemed like a good idea to have at least to crossbow toting Dwarves. Besides this I basically stripped down a lot of my starting guys to hammers accept for a slayer whom I gave a two handed hammer. My goal was to start with 4 heroes and 6 henchmen.

I think the list a posted in the starting warbands thread is pretty close to my final list though I made some changes. We are playing our first game this weekend so I will find out soon how well it goes.

@Pervavita I think only Thunderers and the Engineer can use crossbows.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about Dwarf Treasure Hunters   dwarf - Thinking about Dwarf Treasure Hunters Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thinking about Dwarf Treasure Hunters
Page 1 of 1