HomeFAQSearchRegisterUsergroupsBlogLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Share | 

Troglodyte Warband

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
StyrofoamKing
Etheral
Etheral

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Troglodyte Warband   Mon 30 Jan 2012 - 19:22

Discussions on the likeliness of Lizardmen in Mordheim and an all Saurus Warband reminded me of this idea I had while doing Dogs of War:

And for those who've never seen a Troglodyte:
http://www.solegends.com/citjour85bautumn/citjour85b026-01.htm

_______

Troglodyte Warband

Troglodytes Special Rules:
Cold Blooded: Troglodytes are Cold-blooded, and roll 3D6 for each Psychology test, using the lowest 2D6.
Lose Their Cool: Troglodytes have a difficult time surviving in this cold continent- any lasting chieftain knows when to cut his losses and run! A Troglodyte leader always take Fear, All Alone and other Leadership tests using 3D6, as dictated by the rule Cold Blooded. However, he takes Rout Tests with 2D6- Troglodytes aren’t nearly as brave as their Southland brethren!
Very Stupid: Unless stated otherwise, all Troglodytes are even simpler than Saurus, and they suffer stupidity. Despite the fact that they are Cold-Blooded, they still use 2D6 for Stupidity tests, instead of 3D6. This rule only applies to henchmen- when he becomes a Hero, he loses the rule “Very Stupid”.
Scaly Skin: Troglodytes have tough scaly skin, and are considered to have a 6+ armour save. This save cannot be modified beyond 6 due to strength modifiers but any result of ‘no save’ on the injury chart will negate the unmodified 6+ save.
Warm-Blood Mistrust: A troglodyte may never hire Hired Swords or Dramatis Personae that are warm-blooded (or, in the case of Undead, WERE warm-blooded!) Some Hired Swords they can use are: Zoat Warrior,
Proxy: Use Saurus. The old 5th Edition Saurus are even better.
Conversions: Clip off the fins, and decorate them with small patches of chain mail & metal armor.
Base: 25 mm.

Max Stats M WS BS S T W I A Ld
Trog 4 5 5 5 5 3 4 4 10

Equipment:
Hand-to-hand Combat Weapons
Dagger . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1st free/2 gc
Hammer . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3 gc
Axe . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5 gc
Sword . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10 gc
Spear . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10 gc
Halberd . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10 gc
Double-handed weapon . . 15 gc
Flail . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 15 gc
Morning star . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 15 gc

Missile:
Slings. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2 gc
Throwing Knives. . . . . . . . 15 gc
Javelins. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5 gc

Armor
Light armor . . . . . . . . . . 20 gc
Shield . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5 gc
Helmet . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10 gc

HEROES
1 Troglodyte Chieftain – 75 gc
M WS BS S T W I A Ld
4 3 3 4 4 1 2 1 9
Weapons & Equipment: Chosen from the Troglodyte Warrior table.
Skills: Combat, Strength, Special
Special Rules: Leader

0-1 Troglodyte Skirmisher - 40
M WS BS S T W I A Ld
4 1 3 3 4 1 2 1 7
Skills: Combat, Special. (Shooting? Speed?)
Special Rules: Can move through forest terrain without penalty.

0-2 Troglodyte Braves – 50 gc
M WS BS S T W I A Ld
4 3 2 4 4 1 1 1 8
Skills: Combat, Strength, Special

HENCHMEN
Troglodyte Warriors– 30 gc each
M WS BS S T W I A Ld
4 2 2 4 4 1 1 1 8
Special Rules: Very Stupid (see above.)

0-5 Giant Reptiles – 15 gc
M WS BS S T W I A Ld
4 3 0 4* 2 1 4 1 4
Weapons & Armor: None!
Special Rules:
Poison Bite- Giant Reptiles have a poisonous bite that counts a S4 hit- however, it has no effect on armor saves. If the model is Immune to Poison, the hit counts as a S2 hit instead.
Cold-Blooded: Take all Leadership tests at 3D6 instead of 2D6.
Animal: Giant Reptiles gain no experience and cannot climb.

Special Equipment –

War-drum – An inspirational item amongst the simple-minded Troglodytes. Once a tribal figure starts playing it, he cannot stop- it’s in his blood!
Miscellaneous Item – 25 gc. Rarity 5
Fire-Up: If a hero using a war-drum was placed on the board this game, then for the remainder of the battle, all Trog henchmen do not suffer Stupidity while they are in combat. This applies even if the War drum user is taken out of action.
Combat: A model with a War Drum must wield a club in one of his two hands (which he uses to beat the drum.) He cannot wield a two-handed weapon in combat.
Loud: A model with a War-drum may never hide- he is far too loud!

Savage Gifts
Many Skink and Saurus warriors are born with distinct markings or mutations. A Hero may only have a single Savage Gift and these may only be bought when you recruit the Hero, not in the middle of a campaign.
Massive Jaw – 30 Points
Troglodyte have a powerful bite attack, this bite attack uses the Troglodyte’ own Strength to wound and receive no penalty for not using a weapon. The Bite attack always strikes last, regardless of who charged or which weapon is used. The Bite even attacks after Double-Handed Weapons.
Poison Glands - 40 points
The Troglodyte has been gifted with glands that produce a deadly poison. He may choose to make any number of attacks with his teeth instead of his weapons; these attacks are treated just like a Massive Jaw attack (strike last in combat). These attacks at +1 save modifier, regardless of the Strength of the Troglodytes, in addition add +1 to the roll on the Injury table as well.
Thick Skin – 25 points
The Troglodyte’s naturally scaly skin is extra thick- it provides a 5+ save instead of a 6+ save. However, his thicker hide means that he can only wear specially made armor- buying Light Armor for him costs 50gc instead of 25gc. He may not trade armor with another Troglodite, getting his “cheaper” armor.

Special Skills
Spitting Attack – Only for models with “Poison Gland” gift. The model may spit venom whenever he is charged. He may pick to make one of his attacks as a Spit attack, instead of using a normal weapon- if so, it goes BEFORE the charger would attack. It has +1 Armor save (regardless of Strength), but rolls +1 to injury table.

Inner Fire – Leader Only. All Henchmen within 6” of your Leader do not have to take Very Stupid tests during their turns.

Single-Minded – The Troglodyte may not be good at multitasking, but he can do one thing well. If using a double-handed weapon, the Troglodyte DOUBLES his Initiative in combat. This has no effect when taking Initiative tests (ex. Such as climbing.)

Last edited by StyrofoamKing on Mon 30 Jan 2012 - 19:33; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://sites.google.com/site/styroheim/
StyrofoamKing
Etheral
Etheral

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Troglodyte Warband   Mon 30 Jan 2012 - 19:28

Still in rough form, I know. It's just a thought at this point.

Some explanations:

Why don't they use Cold-blooded with Stupidity?: To be honest, this was merely a way to make things faster. With 5 or so guys on the board, rolling 3D6, take away one would be TEDIOUS. This speeds it up slightly. However, to make it fair, they needed a higher LD, otherwise they would freeze every turn. Thus "lose your cool" is thrown in.

You end up with a warband that can shrug off fear like crazy (probably because they're too stupid to understand the threat), but breaks like normal. Likewise, the War Drum was added to eliminate the greatest threat of all - the inability to fight in combat if stupid.

Why only 2 henchman?: Because I'm trying to think of a third. I'm debating between a Zoat (who would be an awesome Ogre-spellcaster [who never becomes a hero], a Fimir Balefiend (who is also coldblooded, but less likely to be a henchman), or something else. (ex. GW used to sell Kobolds- small reptilian goblins.) GW also used to have "Chaos Snakemen". To be honest, they kind of look cool.

Thoughts on the subject? Different ideas on how to approach it?
Back to top Go down
Pervavita
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Amazons (Unofficial) Amazons (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Troglodyte Warband   Mon 30 Jan 2012 - 19:56

You could make the Skirmisher into a henchmen unit.
If not I say use speed for the 3rd skill set. Skirmishers are more "fast" then any thing. Though it would be nice to have speed, combat, and shooting but with the special a 4th skill set for them is too much.

The War Drums I like but I think it should have a radious maybe? It does eliminate one of there draw backs. with out this you could hide a hero with the drum and just camp him back. Also think that maybe if it's dropped (hero goes OOA) then the bonus should go away maybe in the next turn.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zekk
Veteran
Veteran

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Troglodyte Warband   Tue 31 Jan 2012 - 7:43

lol! wow those are old models
whats sad, is i actually have one of those Chaos Ogre models still!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jackalope
Hero
Hero

PostSubject: Re: Troglodyte Warband   Wed 1 Feb 2012 - 13:43

I'd vote Zoat, just because it sounds awesome and interesting to play with. Kobolds might be cool too, if you had them you might want to have a Kobold skirmisher as a hero instead of the Troglodyte one. I'd be impressed if I saw some play this band with the original models. If you had the Fimir Balefiend, I'd almost consider having him lead the warband, but it would make it something different entirely.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
StyrofoamKing
Etheral
Etheral

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Troglodyte Warband   Wed 1 Feb 2012 - 15:14

Yeah, I might put out a Boglar warband with a Balefiend head, but for now, I'll keep them out.

Zoats it is. Will post more after my commute.

edit

0-1 ZOAT WARRIOR - 215 gc

M WS BS S T W I A LD
7 5 3 4 4 3 5 1(+1) 7

Weapons/Armor: May purchase a club, a heavy club (halberd), or a doubled handed weapon. May also purchase a shield.

Special Rules:
Cold Blooded: For any Leadership test, the Zoat rolls 3D6 and discards the highest result.

Scaly Skin: Has a natural save of 4+. This cannot be reduced below 6+ by Strength modifiers, but any result of "no save" on the injury chart will negate this 6+ save. A shields adds +1 to the save.

Stomp: The Zoat has a stomp attack, in addition to its normal weapon attack. The Stomp attack suffers no penalty for being unarmed. Unlike a Saurus bite attack, it attacks at the same time as the normal Zoat attacks, following the normal rules for attack order. (If this causes the Zoat to deliver two attacks that different times, he cannot knock-down & stun a model with one attack, and 'automatically' hit it/injure it with the second... it must treat the model as though it was uninjured, assuming it was uninjured before the Zoat's initial attack.)

'Mounted': While not a Mounted creature per se, the Zoat is an impressive large Quadroped creature. It suffers +1 to hit against missiles, cannot go in doors, and counts as a 'Large' Model (thus, adds +20 to rating instead of +5) Also, he cannot traverse terrain that a mounted animal would be unable to traverse. He rolls on the injury table as normal, not on the 'Whoa Boy!' Table.

Forest born: All Zoats can move through forest and jungle terrain without penalty.

Hard to Kill: A Zoat that is taken out of action dies on a 1D6 roll of 1, instead of the normal 1-2.

Detached: Troglodytes have a hard enough time persuading Zoats to join them- getting them to lead is impossible. Zoats reroll any advancement results of "That Lad's Got Talent" until another result is rolled.

Life Caster: Zoats start with one random spell from the Lore of Life spell list. They may not learn additional spells. If the spell rolled is "Healing Might", the Zoat may not heal itself.

Lore of Life
1 - Howler Wind Difficulty 8 The fury of the skies unbound is a force that few can hold at bay. This spell is cast upon the wizard himself. Both he and any models within 8 inches of him gain the protection of the Howler Wind. Anyone targeting these models with mundane ranged weapons suffer a -2 penalty to their Ballistic Skill, however shooting past these models does not affect the missile in any way.

2 - Healing Might Difficulty 9 Allowing the healing power of the earth to rise up within him, the wizard aids even those with the most grievous wounds around him. All models within 4 inches of the wizard rise from the ground, shrugging off the effects of being Knocked Down or Stunned. Furthermore, any units within 2 inches of the wizard have all of their wounds restored.

3 - Mistress of Marsh - Difficulty 7 – Water from underground seeks out a victim, softening the ground and pulling his feet into the softened earth. Pick any model within 24". Until your next turn, the model counts as moving through Difficult Terrain (if already on Difficult Terrain, this spell has no effect.)

4 - Master of Wood - Difficulty Auto – Strangled seedlings are given new life, twisting skyward before the viewer’s eyes. This spell must be used before the game, and only once. After deployment but before the start of a game, you may place 1D3-1 Forest terrain pieces on the board (which means you can result in 0). This may be placed anywhere on the board, so long as it is 12" away from any enemy warband and 3" away from each other. These forest pieces count as cover and difficult terrain.

5- Rain Lord - Difficulty 6: The air crackles and the wind howls around the shaman, until the skies suddenly open up. Weather immediately changes to Raining. All missile and powder weapons are at -1 to hit. Those wishing to fire a Black Powder weapon must first roll 4+ on 1D6 otherwise the powder is too wet to fire. At the start of each player's turn, roll 1D6: on a 1, the rain stops. You may choose to end it at the start of any of your Turns, although you must wait until next turn to recast it.

6 - Master of Stone - Difficulty 7: The earth crawls up around a willing host, encasing him in a shell of rock. You may use the Master of Stone successfully only once per battle. Choose any single model within 6". Roll a D6 to see what happens to the affected model.
1 - May ignore difficult terrain when moving over rocks. 2-3 - Gains +2 Armor Save 4-5 - Gains +1 Toughness 6 - Gains +1 Wound and may ignore difficult terrain when moving over rocks.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Troglodyte Warband   Today at 17:00

Back to top Go down

Troglodyte Warband
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1