Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

My take on several mordheim buildings

Go down 
+24
Bolbotos
Von Kurst
Drenengar
oldschoolgameroo
Captain Bernhardt
weeble1000
Pervavita
izmerul
Ordo Septenarius
havre
Joshua Von Wolkestadt
mr_harold
Etrigan001
Bimbi
floedebolle
ghostbear
Milliardo
shanks
The Yak
playtable
qboid
opaque
DeafNala
Zero2Hero-DK
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Zero2Hero-DK
General
General
Zero2Hero-DK

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Restless Dead (BTB) Restless Dead (BTB)
Achievements earned: none

Building - My take on several mordheim buildings  - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My take on several mordheim buildings    Building - My take on several mordheim buildings  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 15 Aug 2012 - 14:03

@ Von Kurst: Yes, I guess thats the drive of this hobby - always to discover new exiting ways to replicate authenticity of pieces Smile

@ DeafNala: Lichen, I've seen this at several shops, and now that I think of it, I think you're right! Yes it is very fragile, I think I'll give it some hair spray, and see how it hold.

Thanks to you both! I've been busy here the past few days, and have more terrain to show you guys. The big piece "the tavern" is on hold at the moment, and I've dedicated my time for the smaller uncompleted pieces I had laying around. So here's the progress as well as finished pieces.

First up, GW's own mordheim tavern in cardboard.

Building - My take on several mordheim buildings  - Page 3 71091B3F-orig

Actually my first try at a building! When I first thought of creating my own terrain, I tried to focus on fast, durable pieces so I could start gaming fast! But I soon realized that the process of creating these pieces would indeed not be a quick task. The first I did was to find the actual print of the buildings, and then print the images on label paper and adhear it on cardboard. Without the interlock assembly pieces which followes the original starter box, I had to think of a new way to scaffold the pieces, and the only material I had available at that time was Polystyrene. A terrible mess and I was really dissapointed with the quality of the cornor pieces, so I abandonned the project.
Later on I got into basing my terrain pieces, and thought I could save this piece by creating a nice base - I think it turned out alright! Really playable piece - not my nicest creation, but it'll do as "clutter" Laughing

Building - My take on several mordheim buildings  - Page 3 3506343D-orig

I'm out of time atm, but I'll be posting a massive post about my newest creation - my overgrown ruined tempel as you can see at the right of the last picture!

Comming soon! Exclamation

As always C & C is more than welcome!

Back to top Go down
http://Zero2Hero.tabletopgeeks.com
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: My take on several mordheim buildings    Building - My take on several mordheim buildings  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 15 Aug 2012 - 14:36

You've created some very attractive & games worthy pieces. I really like your brushwork & color choices...good depth of color. VERY WELL DONE! thumbsup

Building terrain is an on-going process; i.e., even those pieces you deem as completed will probably be revisited & updated. Once you've knocked out the basic structures you can go back & make them more elaborate as you find the time & motivation...adding detail is when the fun begins. clown
Back to top Go down
Bolbotos
Veteran
Veteran
Bolbotos

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: My take on several mordheim buildings    Building - My take on several mordheim buildings  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 15 Aug 2012 - 18:32

Looks very pretty! Great implementation of cardboard and other materials. I especially like the wooden floor
Back to top Go down
Zero2Hero-DK
General
General
Zero2Hero-DK

Personal Info

PostSubject: The Overgrown Ruined Tempel   Building - My take on several mordheim buildings  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 16 Aug 2012 - 15:13

Thanks I'm glad you like it Very Happy

As promised, a new update is in order - The Overgrown Ruined Temple / city stakeout.

In this post I'll post the progression of this piece, all from the initial plan, to the finished product - WARNING! A LOT OF PICTURES!

So here we go!

As you know I've previously experimented with the use of plaster, to create authentic looking bricks, oversize monestary bricks Smile When I created the large tavern, I continued to cast some more bricks, since I had the idea to create a 3 story building, using the bricks. First I wanted to try out how the stability of the bricks would be on a smaller structure, so I decided to create a ruin before I created the higher buidling. Here's the first pictures of the layout of the ruin/temple.

Building - My take on several mordheim buildings  - Page 3 BAD6E6F4-orig

Building - My take on several mordheim buildings  - Page 3 EB161AE2-orig

And heres a picture of my materials used

Building - My take on several mordheim buildings  - Page 3 425488AA-orig

That was the ground work. I realized that when I made the prime cast brick, it had warped in my 16x brick mold so the bricks wasn't 100% identical, which suited me fine! I'm not a fan of total clinic appearence, and like the layout a bit chaotic. I also learned in this process that it would be hard to create a total perpendicular wall to the surface of the ground, and make my dream of creating a tall structure void. Nevertheless I might be able to create some effects later on with this method.

And I continued expanding the structure and details...

Building - My take on several mordheim buildings  - Page 3 0EFB850E-orig

Creating a mold of columns was great fun! I partially ripped off the skull column base from hirst arts studio What a Face

It was really fun to model the prime parts to be casted, and I will indeed experiment with this in the future. I used natural rubber for the creation of the casting molds - I might be using silicone in the future.

Building - My take on several mordheim buildings  - Page 3 3956E75F-orig

Building - My take on several mordheim buildings  - Page 3 1D8390EF-orig

Building - My take on several mordheim buildings  - Page 3 0EFB850E-orig

Building - My take on several mordheim buildings  - Page 3 D6364B88-orig

And here's a couble of shots with the mordheim warlock for size comparison

Building - My take on several mordheim buildings  - Page 3 C6A20CD2-orig

Building - My take on several mordheim buildings  - Page 3 A3BB1951-orig

Building - My take on several mordheim buildings  - Page 3 ECE4CA94-orig

Now the foundation was created, now I just needed to get it painted up, and tested the playability of the piece

The idea was to create a piece which looks like it has been used a lot by the local population in this part of time, but has been abandonned in a long time. Sadly I hadn't recieved my flock and turf yet at this point, so the test battle was without the final touches

Building - My take on several mordheim buildings  - Page 3 BFB79A1C-orig

Building - My take on several mordheim buildings  - Page 3 6EB029E1-orig

Building - My take on several mordheim buildings  - Page 3 045C5496-orig

Building - My take on several mordheim buildings  - Page 3 F1F1E84A-orig

I'm quite happy with the colours and the playability, it's really accessible and a nice cover from missile fire.

Here's the finished piece with all the fixes Razz Hope you like it Very Happy

Building - My take on several mordheim buildings  - Page 3 5EA1CD58-orig

Building - My take on several mordheim buildings  - Page 3 D40B435A-orig

Building - My take on several mordheim buildings  - Page 3 199782F9-orig

Building - My take on several mordheim buildings  - Page 3 9DD299AD-orig

Building - My take on several mordheim buildings  - Page 3 870BB3AE-orig

Building - My take on several mordheim buildings  - Page 3 8B93A09D-orig

Thank you all for watching my thread! Please post any C&C, I'm always interested in learning more!

Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: My take on several mordheim buildings    Building - My take on several mordheim buildings  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 16 Aug 2012 - 18:09

LOOKIN' GOOD! Getting a step by step progression on the beasty is a cool presentation...a mini tutorial as it were. It certainly painted up nicely...GREAT WORK! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Etrigan001
Veteran
Veteran
Etrigan001

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: My take on several mordheim buildings    Building - My take on several mordheim buildings  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 16 Aug 2012 - 19:26

Very nice WIP post! Piece looks great!
Back to top Go down
pascal the rascal
Ancient
Ancient
pascal the rascal

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: My take on several mordheim buildings    Building - My take on several mordheim buildings  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 20 Aug 2012 - 19:34

nice work & photos
enjoyed reading this thread
finished work/paint/flock really were finishing touches
ever considered trying to work with foamcore and/or blue/pink foam ? you might enjoy that
'ave fun & keep the pics coming
Back to top Go down
Zero2Hero-DK
General
General
Zero2Hero-DK

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: My take on several mordheim buildings    Building - My take on several mordheim buildings  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 20 Aug 2012 - 20:09

Thanks a lot all of you - I'm glad you like it Very Happy

Dont get me started hehe I've search everywhere here in Denmark for the Foamcore product, but haven't been succesful in finding it...

I'd LOVE to work with this product, it has soo much potential, and I really think I would be able to do the material justice!

I have found Foamboard though, and I'm planning to getting a couble of boards for smaller projects. But my primary focus is to get this Foamcore material...

If any of you danes have found this product, I'd love a heads up Smile

Last edited by Zero2Hero-DK on Mon 20 Aug 2012 - 20:10; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Back to top Go down
Stronzo
Warlord
Warlord
Stronzo

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Beastmen (EIF) Beastmen (EIF)

PostSubject: Re: My take on several mordheim buildings    Building - My take on several mordheim buildings  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 20 Aug 2012 - 23:52

Looks really good Smile and great step by step pictures Very Happy

Oh and about foamcore, I've looked around as well, but with no luck. Do you know if there's a Danish name for the stuff?
Back to top Go down
Zero2Hero-DK
General
General
Zero2Hero-DK

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: My take on several mordheim buildings    Building - My take on several mordheim buildings  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 21 Aug 2012 - 4:03

@Stronzo: Yes, I have the same problem - I don't know what it is called either.Though I found foam board by searching in Google for "skum plast", perhaps you'll have more luck than i've had searching the same?
Professional photographers tend to use these boards for commercial presentations or conferences and such. I'm expanding my search to local sign manufactures which might stock foam core boards. If I don't find it here, I'm clueless of where to find it...

I'll pass you a PM in case I do find it, and hope you'll return the favour? Smile

Last edited by Zero2Hero-DK on Tue 21 Aug 2012 - 4:07; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Back to top Go down
pascal the rascal
Ancient
Ancient
pascal the rascal

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: My take on several mordheim buildings    Building - My take on several mordheim buildings  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 21 Aug 2012 - 18:54

you should look for warehouses that sell building materials ; these foamboard plates are used as isolation materiaal
even if they don't know the name for the product, just walk through these warehouses
it probably isn't stocked far away from polystyrene plates if they have those in stock

check companies that build houses (real ones that is ;-) and check with what they isolate the walls
Back to top Go down
skipspence
Knight
Knight

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Carnival of Chaos (EIF) Carnival of Chaos (EIF)

PostSubject: Re: My take on several mordheim buildings    Building - My take on several mordheim buildings  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 21 Aug 2012 - 19:14

I'm thinking of ordering some from this company http://www.antenocitisworkshop.com/wargaming-materials-tools/sheet-materials/styrofoam.html

Not sure how you feel or if it possible to order from them to another country.

Only glanced at the site so far and I'm very new to scenery building but the prices seem quite good to me.

Skip
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: My take on several mordheim buildings    Building - My take on several mordheim buildings  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 21 Aug 2012 - 19:17

Actually there are two types of stores to checkout for foam board. The first might be an arts & crafts store, & the second is a store that does framing of pictures &, particularly, posters...that is the principal us for foam board. GOOD HUNTING! What a Face
Back to top Go down
Bolbotos
Veteran
Veteran
Bolbotos

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: My take on several mordheim buildings    Building - My take on several mordheim buildings  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 21 Aug 2012 - 20:02

good work!
Now I know whats missing in my colleciton: wooden pallisades Wink
Back to top Go down
Zero2Hero-DK
General
General
Zero2Hero-DK

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: My take on several mordheim buildings    Building - My take on several mordheim buildings  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 21 Aug 2012 - 21:27

@ pascal the rascal: Thanks for the hint! I'll check it out!

@ skipspence: Yes I thought of that as well, until I saw the shipping fee for 16£... that's as much as the whole order for me. thanks anyways though.

@ Deafnala: yes it was in one of these shops I saw the foam boards. I'll look around for the foam core Smile

@ Bolbotos:Thanks! I love barricades and such. It really gives atmosphere to a piece pirat
Back to top Go down
skipspence
Knight
Knight

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Carnival of Chaos (EIF) Carnival of Chaos (EIF)

PostSubject: Re: My take on several mordheim buildings    Building - My take on several mordheim buildings  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 21 Aug 2012 - 23:22

£16 shipping dear god that's bad!

edit:

Just went on there site to have a look at shipping fees, they wanted nearly £9 for a £6 order. That's is crazy! Sorry I even linked them Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Zero2Hero-DK
General
General
Zero2Hero-DK

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: My take on several mordheim buildings    Building - My take on several mordheim buildings  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Aug 2012 - 11:35

no no don't worry about that Smile Thanks for checking it out!

Yes those shipping fees are ridiculous!

Back to top Go down
Bolbotos
Veteran
Veteran
Bolbotos

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: My take on several mordheim buildings    Building - My take on several mordheim buildings  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Aug 2012 - 14:35

what colours do you use for wood? Mine's seems getting to dark Sad
(black foundation, scorchered brown drybrushing and bubbobic brown/vermin fur for the highlights)
Back to top Go down
Zero2Hero-DK
General
General
Zero2Hero-DK

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: My take on several mordheim buildings    Building - My take on several mordheim buildings  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Aug 2012 - 15:09

Actually I use colours that matches yours,but the trick is to finish very lightly with skull white for highlights.This automatically lighten your woodwork What a Face
Back to top Go down
Bolbotos
Veteran
Veteran
Bolbotos

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: My take on several mordheim buildings    Building - My take on several mordheim buildings  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Aug 2012 - 15:13

thanks, I'll try that
Back to top Go down
pascal the rascal
Ancient
Ancient
pascal the rascal

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: My take on several mordheim buildings    Building - My take on several mordheim buildings  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Aug 2012 - 20:42

do you find anything if you google "blue foam" ?
I found this Danish company that cuts it. Maybe you could contact them to ask where to buy it at a reasonable price ?
http://www.digitalcrafting.dk/?cat=9&paged=2

I found the next beneath on the Dow site, but they have a Danish site as well (http://building.dow.com/europe/dk/ but can't reading anything there)

http://building.dow.com/ap/in/about/ :
STYROFOAM, the Blue Foam from Dow

STYROFOAM™, the blue extruded polystyrene (XPS) foam is a special, high performance insulation material, developed by Dow more than 50 years ago. Its closed cell structure offers a number of special characteristics and advantages at the installation:

high insulation value long-term, excellent mechanical strength,
no capillarity, high moisture resistance, resistance to freeze-thaw cycles,
long-term durability,
lightweight and easy to handle,
easy to cut with simple tools,
resistant to rot and deterioritation,
clean, odourless and non-irritant to skin.

http://building.dow.com/na/en/products/insulation/rigidfoam.htm
I'm sure you'll find a lot more when googling a bit
Back to top Go down
Zero2Hero-DK
General
General
Zero2Hero-DK

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: My take on several mordheim buildings    Building - My take on several mordheim buildings  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Aug 2012 - 22:57

Thanks a lot for doing some research! Unfortunately I think I'll have to buy by the bulk to actually get a local to buy some because from my experience, these companies only sell business to business. And that's a too big investment on my part. nevertheless I'll try callthe company tomorrow to try my luck! Thanks again you're all too kind Smile
Back to top Go down
Zero2Hero-DK
General
General
Zero2Hero-DK

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: My take on several mordheim buildings    Building - My take on several mordheim buildings  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 3 Sep 2012 - 10:58

Remember the gate house which had a bit of an accident? (spray painted polystyrene)

I did a make over! Recently I got into basing, and thourght I could save some of my old work by creating a cool base for them, so I took up the challange and began painting the melted gatehouse. I thourght to my self that it would be a waste to NOT use it, so here we go.

My Idea was to create some cubblestone which was made for house carts to travel in and out of the gate house, so I started out milliputting the base and made some wooden floor.

Building - My take on several mordheim buildings  - Page 3 7DEA535C-orig

This was really what spiked my interest to finish this building, so sadly I don't have more progress pictures. I'm sorry for the bad, blurry and over exposed pictures - it has been really cloudy today, and all light bulbs I have is enegy saving, which sucks for picture taking.

Building - My take on several mordheim buildings  - Page 3 2012-09-02121721

Building - My take on several mordheim buildings  - Page 3 2012-09-02121749

Building - My take on several mordheim buildings  - Page 3 2012-09-02121648

Building - My take on several mordheim buildings  - Page 3 2012-09-02121836

Building - My take on several mordheim buildings  - Page 3 2012-09-02121823

Building - My take on several mordheim buildings  - Page 3 2012-09-02121859

I think I saved it and it turned out alright - thanks for watching! Smile
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: My take on several mordheim buildings    Building - My take on several mordheim buildings  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 3 Sep 2012 - 12:35

I think it looks FANTASTIC! The damaged surface actually adds to the comet blasted effect. The new base really makes the piece. VERY WELL DONE! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Bolbotos
Veteran
Veteran
Bolbotos

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: My take on several mordheim buildings    Building - My take on several mordheim buildings  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 3 Sep 2012 - 14:04

really cool! Great work!
But I think the roofing shingles are way too big.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My take on several mordheim buildings    Building - My take on several mordheim buildings  - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My take on several mordheim buildings
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next