HomeFAQSearchRegisterUsergroupsBlogLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Share | 

The Hooded Man

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Joshua Von Wolkestadt
Hero
Hero

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: The Hooded Man   Wed 18 Jan 2012 - 7:20

For a respectable amount of time now, I have been pondering deeply and experimented with alternative Assassin rules. scratch I've always loved the concept of the "Assassin's Creed" games and I thought I might want to bring the wonder from the Console to the Tabletop. Smile

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

It was a rather riotous night within the Pompous Pig tavern. The air was filled with numerous layers of confabulation and drunkards stumbled from table to table as they thrust their glasses up high and cheered, spilling ale at the equivalent rate of their consumption. As the Dwarven Barman surveyed the unruly sight that spread across the building it was then that he noticed a single man, sitting in the far corner, merged with the shadows. This intrigued the short and stumpy Barman as this mysterious man appeared sober, silent and ready, but ready for what?

His face was hidden by a hood and his lean and agile structure greatly contrasted that of most grizzled mercenaries. His belt also boasted a vast collection of magnificently crafted weaponry and he bared an unusual gauntlet upon his arm. The Barman continued to examine him. The man seemed to remain still and composed but it looked as if he was scanning every man within the building. His head slowly turned to each man, he looked them up and down and moved onto the next. His eyes soon connected with the Barman's and the Dwarf was soon to divert his pupils elsewhere. Very few men, or Dwarves for that matter, would dare challenge such a man.

The Dwarf continued to avoid staring at the mysterious figure but instead he watched a rotund Merchant burst through the door, exhibiting a rather expensive attire. Within seconds the hooded man rose to his feet and began to push through the disorderly crowd. The Merchant leaned up against the bar and demanded a glass of strong wine. The Barman fluently turned around and prepared his drink. As he turned back to face his customer he notice that the mysterious man was present just beyond the Merchant's shoulder. He flinched with fear and then pushed the wine towards the Merchant's fat fingers.

"Three shillings please Sir", the Dwarf promptly said.
"Sir, three shillings please ...", the Merchant continued to remain silent.

The Dwarf stared at him angrily and before he managed to spit another word beyond his beard he was met by a groan. The Barman looked at the Merchant with a degree of curiosity. It was then that the Merchant slumped forwards, against the Bar, with a dagger stuck in his back. A great pool of blood began to grow and work its way towards the Barman's hands but he was quick to rip a blunderbuss from underneath the bar and swing it into the direction he last saw the hooded man. Instead, he was met with a crowd of drunk mercenaries pointing daggers and pistols at each other, as they were unaware of that stealthy figure, who had some how disappeared within an instant.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Dramatis Personae

50gc to hire
25gc to upkeep

M WS BS S T W I A Ld

Weapons/Armour - Sword, Hidden Blade, Throwing Daggers, Crossbow Pistol, Elven Cloak.
Rating - An Assassin increases the warband's rating by +24 points, plus 1 point for each experience point he has.
Skills- An Assassin may choose from Combat, Speed, Shooting skills or Unstoppable Charge from the Strength skills list when he gains a new skill. He may also choose from the special Assassin skills below.
Special Rules - Web of Steel, Scale Sheer Surfaces, Dodge, Step Aside, Man of the Creed.
Assassin Skills - Back Stabber, Hide in Shadows, Ultimate Kill.

Hidden Blade
Strength - As User
The Hidden Blade is an innovative and sophisticated weapon, boasting highly complex internal mechanisms, which can only be assembled by the most profound of engineers. If worn by a professional assassin, all those that are found at the mercy of this weapon are certain to perish.
The hidden blade is built for concealment and surprise. Due to this the hidden blade confers +1 to hit in the first round of combat and it always strikes first in combat.

Man of the Creed
The 'Known World' knows little of the secret society. The Creed is a sect of highly trained assassins that seek to bring peace, through the elimination of the corrupt and greedy. This group of dedicated assassins will stop at nothing to kill those that threaten their ultimate goal.
At the start of the game the assassin must recognise and mark one of the opposing characters as the "Target". If the assassin successfully sends his target Out of Action he may regenerate a lost wound on a roll of 5+. If he has not previously lost a wound his combat skills temporarily become supernatural and he strikes in the next combat with +1 Attack, +1 Strength and +1 Weapon Skill.

So, what do you guys think? I'm relatively new to the rules so I understand if you have any corrective feedback. My ultimate aim is to capture the authenticity of the Assassins found in the "Assassin's Creed" games. Very Happy

Thank You for Viewing!

[Updated upon 19/01/2012]
[Updated upon 21/01/2012]

Last edited by Joshua Von Wolkestadt on Fri 20 Jan 2012 - 17:57; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BalrogTheBuff
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: The Hooded Man   Wed 18 Jan 2012 - 17:01

Wow I like the character. But what about making him a Dramatis Personae instead? You can play around with making him really unique and maybe even have competetion over who gets him each battle. Maybe an 'auction' system where his cost keeps going up if both want to hire him?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Joshua Von Wolkestadt
Hero
Hero

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The Hooded Man   Thu 19 Jan 2012 - 6:59

That's a very nice idea! Thanks you! cheers Do you think I'll need to edit his profile in any way? I'll probably update the post relatively soon, so that I can make him more of a Dramatis Personae type character! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
View user profile
StyrofoamKing
Etheral
Etheral

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: The Hooded Man   Thu 19 Jan 2012 - 8:41

Hidden Blade- Not sure why it gives +1 to hit if it's hidden. What if it struck first, like a Whip? I think that suggests a feel of "coming out of no where." Or, give it +1 to hit in the first round of combat only, to represent the unready opponent.

If you're going for assassin's creed feel, he needs scale sheer surfaces. That will give a MUCH better idea of him running and jumping up walls, even more so than the M5.

The more I think about it, the more I think he would make a better DP. Kind of like Johan, but more up close and personal.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://sites.google.com/site/styroheim/
Joshua Von Wolkestadt
Hero
Hero

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The Hooded Man   Thu 19 Jan 2012 - 8:59

I can see your point of view StyrofoamKing! king I totally agree with you! Very Happy Thank You for your much needed advice! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BalrogTheBuff
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: The Hooded Man   Thu 19 Jan 2012 - 10:14

Suggestions:
Weighted Elven Cloak (Elf Cloak + Buckler)
Scale Sheer Surfaces
Dodge
Step Aside
2 Wounds

I like the idea of him as an assassin with a cause. So maybe something like "Strength of Spirit" or such where he has a 6+ every recovery phase to go back up to 2 wounds? Or he marks a target at beginning of game and if that target is taken OOA he recovers to 2 wounds? Or simply just give him the 4/5+ spell resist like sisters can get.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Joshua Von Wolkestadt
Hero
Hero

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The Hooded Man   Thu 19 Jan 2012 - 10:36

Awesome! Cool Thanks for the suggestions. They should prove handy ... The "Strength of Spirit" thing sounds good. I think I'll wait for a few more replies until I make another update; so that way I can look at the big picture and pick the best details from it. Thanks BalrogTheBuff! He should soon become a formidable Assassin very soon! Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
5pointer
Elder
Elder

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

PostSubject: Re: The Hooded Man   Fri 20 Jan 2012 - 16:31

I think that it would be cool to reflect the Assassin's higher orders from the Brotherhood. Like a randomly determined opposing hero has been marked by the Brotherhood for death. Not sure how to give it a cool mechanic though - maybe he gets some kind of bonus/buff for killing the marked man like Balrog's suggestion.

Also, unless it is used in Revelations (I'm a bit behind in the game series myself) Ezio doesn't use his cloak in his fighting technique. So, for purity, I'd drop the buckler Cloak. He's got or could have enough damage-avoidance skills anyway.

And if you give him any kind of special rule that would at all fit 'Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted' then you have to do it... you know you want to!! Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Joshua Von Wolkestadt
Hero
Hero

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The Hooded Man   Fri 20 Jan 2012 - 17:06

5pointer, that is some really nice stuff that you have thought up! Very Happy I'll take it all on board! Thanks for your help! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Hooded Man   Today at 13:22

Back to top Go down

The Hooded Man
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1