HomeFAQSearchRegisterUsergroupsBlogLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Share | 

New Warband construction help

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lydor
Captain
Captain

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: New Warband construction help   Thu 5 Jan 2012 - 0:30

ok so my buddys look to me as a rules guru and games master/musterer. recently they came to me with an awesome challenge, or series of challenges i suppose.

One came to me and wanted a Dark elves assassin warband, something more balanced then the current Dark elf warband from lustria.

Another came to me and wants a eastern/japan themed ninja warband(need to figure out why ninja's would want to come to mordheim first....)

and finally One came to me and wants a whole new warband based off a "wizards or college of magic" expedition style warband.

I can do it, but you guys are awesome at finding the balance for warbands. i would like to keep them about as close in power to the warbands int he core book....any of you guys got ideas?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
StyrofoamKing
Etheral
Etheral

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: New Warband construction help   Thu 5 Jan 2012 - 7:40

For number 3, the Letters of the Damned has an awesome Sorcerous Society warband. Never played it, but it looks neat and is allegedly one of the most balanced "sorceror" warbands out there. If you want to make it more "college-y", feel free to use the 8 Lores from my "Sages and Mages" document:
http://sites.google.com/site/styroheim/storm-of-magic/sagesandmages.pdf?attredirects=0

Dark Elves - well, considering that the Lustria list is one of the most balanced DE lists I've seen, you have to first answer "how is broken". Once you've done that, you can decide which direction to make the warband.

If you don't mind, I might take a stab at it. I've been wanting to write a (balanced) Witch Elf warband for a while. Add in assassins and executioners, you could have an awesome Cult of Khaine warband. I'd use the Slayers Warband I wrote as a basis- fearless and deadly, but little to no long range and little-to-no armor.

As for ninjas, there might be a Nippon warband out there. I recommend you look at the Eshin (i.e. the default Skaven) warband, as they are essentially Skaven ninjas. Switch out the ratmen for humans, give the Sorceror the "lore of shadows" (which I stole from the Shadow Warriors list), and you've got a pretty firm start.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://sites.google.com/site/styroheim/
BalrogTheBuff
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: New Warband construction help   Thu 5 Jan 2012 - 11:05

I did a mage warband as well for a friend. Never tested but tried to make a good feel for an organized group of mages during the time of mordheim. Although I do like the idea of replacing their magic list with Stryo's 8 lists. But limit one list to each master or something.
http://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/t5144-balrog-s-circle-of-mages-warband?highlight=circle
Back to top Go down
View user profile
playtable
Ancient
Ancient

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: New Warband construction help   Thu 5 Jan 2012 - 11:28

StyrofoamKing:
Quote :
As for ninjas, there might be a Nippon warband out there. I recommend you look at the Eshin (i.e. the default Skaven) warband, as they are essentially Skaven ninjas. Switch out the ratmen for humans, give the Sorceror the "lore of shadows" (which I stole from the Shadow Warriors list), and you've got a pretty firm start.

Wow, I never thought of it that way but it sure makes a lot of sense...Skaven = Ninjas.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://s218.photobucket.com/albums/cc193/playtable/
StyrofoamKing
Etheral
Etheral

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: New Warband construction help   Thu 5 Jan 2012 - 21:28

Well, though they don't say it, the default skaven list IS the Eshin warband. Throwing stars, bare-handed martial arts, blowpipes. I mean, Eshin even trained under the "great colleges of death in the East."
Back to top Go down
Lydor
Captain
Captain

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven

PostSubject: Re: New Warband construction help   Thu 5 Jan 2012 - 22:42

this is awesome stuff guys! thanks much!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
StyrofoamKing
Etheral
Etheral

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: New Warband construction help   Fri 6 Jan 2012 - 3:41

I'm still curious, Lydor: in what ways do you / your group consider the Lustria Dark Elves broken?

Compared to the Shadow Elves, they're leaps and bounds better.
Back to top Go down
Lord 0
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: New Warband construction help   Fri 6 Jan 2012 - 4:12

This is a College warband I made a while ago. I wanted one that was specifically a post-College-founding warband where magic was legal. That sorcerous warband is a good one for capturing the feel of a pre-college warband though.

I have only had one campaign of playtesting, but it seems ok so far - nothing too glaring and my friends and I are fairly competitive. That being said we all know how the warband is *supposed* to go so perhaps not everything is written down Smile.

I was trying to get a balance between including all the different colleges, but still having all the colleges balanced both against themselves and everyone else. I did that by making a Common school of magic and then giving different flavour to the spells depending on which college the caster is. E.G. a bright mage makes all his Blast spells Flaming, someone with a Buff cast by an amethys mage causes fear etc. Preserves a lot of the flavour, but still means there is only the 6 spells for you and your opponent to memorise. Also you get to invent your own spell names and descriptions Very Happy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
StyrofoamKing
Etheral
Etheral

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: New Warband construction help   Fri 6 Jan 2012 - 9:12

Ha! You used a cantrip system. A little formulaic, but definitely inspired. Wouldn't have thought of that in a million years.

May I suggest that the next time you run it, each college mage have his own special equipment?:

Bright- Flaming Brazier
Metal - Heavy Armor (+plus warrior wizard skill) (or, in your version, gunpowder stuff)
Shadow- Elven Cloak
Beast - Warhound or animal familiar (see Sorcerous Society warband.)
Celestial - Wyrdstone Pendulum
Light - Blessed Water
Life - Animal familiar or Healing Herbs
Death - Scythe (counts as Halberd)

I also have a few college Marks if you're interested in stealing anything. Given the generic manner of the skill list, the more you can differentiate the heroes, the more individual they'll seem.
Back to top Go down
Lord 0
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: New Warband construction help   Fri 6 Jan 2012 - 17:16

Oh it is definitely formulaic, but that was a design decision right from the start. The reason for it is because the first time I made it I *did* make 8 colleges worth of spells and found that when they were all different you effectively have 8 different heroes and it runs into that same effect you have already noticed. If you have all different heroes then your warbands all become the same as you take one of these mages do the blasting, One of these for the debuffs, one of those for the buffing, etc.

With the formulaic spells no mage has to worry about missing out on key spells so you are free to take whatever wizards make you happy (or you have the models for Razz).

Also, with a page of spells printed out for each hero, casting became longer and more time-consuming that it really ought to for a skirmish game. Well, to my mind anyway. YMMV Smile.

Although I am wary of differentiating them too much and ending back where I started with 8 individual heroes I do like the idea of an optional piece of starting equipment.

Amber: Throwing axes/spears/knives (just one), wolfcloak
Amethyst: Scythe (halberd)
Bright: Brazier staff
Celestial: spyglass and crystal ball (tarot cards).
Gold: Wyrdstone pendulum*
Grey: Elven Cloak
Light: Holy Relic and Warhorn
Jade: Healing Herbs and sickle (axe).

*To me this feels more like a Gold magic item because of the treasure-finding associations I have with dowsing.

What are the College Marks you have?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
StyrofoamKing
Etheral
Etheral

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: New Warband construction help   Sat 7 Jan 2012 - 19:44

Here's the mark (I stole Werekin's "Mark" system, in that you can only take a Mark on a doulbe-roll of a skill, i.e. double 1, double 2, double 5, or double 6.

Lore of Fire Mark - Bathed in Flames: Any model in base contact with the wizard suffers an automatic Strength 1 hit at the beginning of each close combat phase. Flames will never cause critical hits or ignite opponents. The wizard may never declare himself as hidden (as he‟s permanently alight!)

Mark of Metal - Alchemist: If you are playing in a campaign that includes Wyrdstone, the wizard may evaluate any stone for free, using the rules from the Power in the Stones article. You may do this without wasting a rarity search (although it may only be done once per post game.)

Mark of Shadow - Journeyman: Grey wizards are the most common of adventurers, and learn to be very versatile. A Grey wizard may immediately learn one spell from the Lesser Magic list. He may only take this mark once.

Mark of Beasts- Beast-wrangler: You may purchase 0-3 Wardogs in your warband, as written in the Witch Hunters warband. You may only take this mark once. If taken by a Hired Sword, the Dogs will leave the warband if the hired sword leaves or is killed- each dog adds +10 to your warband rating, and do not count towards your warband size limit.

Mark of Heavens- Seeker. When rolling on the Exploration chart, the Wizard allows you to modify one dice roll by -1/+1.

Mark of Light - Acolyte: Replacement Heroes only. When you gain the mark, you may pick any hero with less experience than the Warlock to be an Acolyte. Whenever that hero is within 6 of the Light Wizard, the Light Wizard may reroll one dice roll each time he makes a Difficulty roll. Remember, you can never reroll a reroll.

Mark of Life - Woodwalker: The Wizard may walk through wood, river and jungle terrain without penalty.

Mark of Death - Last Rites: The Amethyst Wizard may learn one random Prayer from the Prayers of Morr list (see Miracle Workers PDF). This is treated as a spell, NOT a prayer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Warband construction help   Today at 1:13

Back to top Go down

New Warband construction help
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1