Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Joao's Random Workshop

Go down 
+33
Captain Bernhardt
qazbnm
Soulblight
Vagabond
vampirekhaine
Ed
Spectre76
folketsfiende
werekin
chaos wolf
Mike
Arcuballis
Von Kurst
Paluke
theomar pius
Paboook
maxxev
izmerul
magokiron
mr_harold
cianty
floedebolle
qboid
5pointer
The Yak
gewaltatron
timplanet
WarbossKurgan
Alex
smokezombie
luckyjoe
DeafNala
JoaoS
37 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
JoaoS
Etheral
Etheral
JoaoS

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: none

Joao's Random Workshop Empty
PostSubject: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop Icon_minitimeWed 21 Dec 2011 - 17:48

Hi.

Here are some of my painted miniatures and work in progress. They're in no particular order or theme - I'm usually very inconsistent when it comes to planning what I have to paint. Hope you enjoy it, though.

By the way, apologies for the camera work. I'm still learning the basics of using light in photography...

Joao's Random Workshop Warrio10
Warriors of Chaos Tzeentch Sorcerer Lord, Games Workshop

Joao's Random Workshop Scibor10
Goblin Warrior, Scibor Miniatures

Joao's Random Workshop Cavalc10
Forest Troll, Cavalcade / Dragonblood Miniatures

Joao's Random Workshop Dwead_10
Dwead Piwate Wuppwecht, Malifaux

Joao

Last edited by JoaoS on Tue 17 Jan 2012 - 23:56; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://fistful-minis.blogspot.co.uk/
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop Icon_minitimeWed 21 Dec 2011 - 19:35

VERY COOL STUFF...of course, now there are a few minis that I need to get, you cruel person, You. The Dwead Piwate & the Goblin are hands down favorites, but all are VERY WELL DONE! thumbsup

Doing pieces randomly is liberating, although I have a tendency to then build War Bands around the individual pieces. Suspect
Back to top Go down
JoaoS
Etheral
Etheral
JoaoS

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop Icon_minitimeFri 23 Dec 2011 - 16:22

He he he. Thanks for the nice comment!

Well, because of lack of time and energy, I've been concentrating mainly on individual pieces. But my long term plan is to have all the other Scibor goblins done (14 in total) and some more Malifaux minis. I've been also experimenting with white undercoat, but so far haven't been able to cope very well. Too fiddly for me (maybe I'm just too used to black undercoat). No

Joao
Back to top Go down
luckyjoe
General
General
luckyjoe

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop Icon_minitimeSat 24 Dec 2011 - 15:47

Those are very nice. My favorite is Wuppwecht.
Back to top Go down
smokezombie
Warlord
Warlord
smokezombie

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop Icon_minitimeThu 5 Jan 2012 - 1:07

Nice nice nice...
Ive been away too long.. kept looking for the "like" button on all these pics.
Great job JoaoS.
Back to top Go down
Alex
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Alex

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop Icon_minitimeThu 5 Jan 2012 - 9:12

great looking pirate, the scibor goblins are really funny Very Happy very good paintjob!
Back to top Go down
http://echoesofimperium.blog
JoaoS
Etheral
Etheral
JoaoS

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop Icon_minitimeWed 18 Jan 2012 - 0:36

Hey, thanks for the nice comments!

I decided to change the name of the title, as I still haven't finished enough miniatures to make a gallery as such. Instead, I'll just be posting some work in progress of my latest stuff. Apologies for the extreme diversity on themes and miniatures. I just can't stick to one thing at the time! clown

I had a few experiments with green stuff, and modified a few goblins for my pirate theme (heavily inspired by Warboss Kurgan's creations): https://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/t475-warbosskurgan-s-orc-pirates

Since I had a few dozens of unassembled GW gnoblars and a few more goblins and gretchin, I thought I could give it a go and do a few very simple conversions.

Joao's Random Workshop Goblin10

I'm also working on a pilgrim warband and thought this guy would look better as a human with a very long beard and nose. He's a Hordes Trollbloods Stone Scribe Elder.

Joao's Random Workshop 31r2i010

Spot the differences... Smile

Joao's Random Workshop Elder-10

Also, I've finally managed to get all my Wendigos painted - bases still to be done, though. They weren't as daunting as I had feared. Just a simple combination of greys and white and off they go. They are beautiful models from Crocodile Games.

Joao's Random Workshop Wendig11

Finally, a few unfinished civilians for my medieval town. First, this Shadow Tower Raven Keeper. The miniature is so well done, especially his face. I can't believe that the sculptor managed to give such a human feel to such a tiny little model. I shall be using him as the town sheriff.

Joao's Random Workshop Sherif10

And some Hell Dorado civilians. They are borderline 25/28mm I would say. The girl was especially difficult to paint, since she was a bit on the tiny side. The angry baker was a nightmare to get the eyes painted correctly. In the end, I just decided to put a red spot on the left eye, and pretend he had been injured or something...

Overall, they can still blend in with the rest of my 28mm villagers.

Joao's Random Workshop Hell-d10

The actual models came in the same box, called Damned Rank and File, from the Mercenaries range.

I'll have all of these based soon - quite a tedious task, I must confess...

Joao
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop Icon_minitimeWed 18 Jan 2012 - 13:43

That's quite an array of different minis that are all VERY COOL. ..the unifying factor. thumbsup
For some reason or other the Goblins remind me of Courier du Bois from the French & Indian Wars...this is a plus with moi.
The Hordes Fellow looks much better after your improvements; the nose & beard are EXCELLENT...he looks rather druidish.
The Wendigos are BEAUTIFULLY DONE. They're a cooler looking version of G.W.'s Beasty Guys.
The Lad with the Raven is VERY NICELY DONE...the Raven fits with the Knightly Order of Mordheim & their Raven Barracks.
AND the Townies are JUST PLAIN COOL...the Fellow in the middle reminds me of some disreputable old man I know. clown
Back to top Go down
WarbossKurgan
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
WarbossKurgan

Personal Info
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop Icon_minitimeWed 18 Jan 2012 - 17:11

Love the Tzeentch Sorcerer! cheers

JoaoS wrote:
I had a few experiments with green stuff, and modified a few goblins for my pirate theme (heavily inspired by Warboss Kurgan's creations): https://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/t475-warbosskurgan-s-orc-pirates
Nice job too! pirat Joao's Random Workshop 665330
Back to top Go down
http://www.flameon.co.uk
timplanet
Hero
Hero
timplanet

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop Icon_minitimeThu 19 Jan 2012 - 14:13

I have to say, I am a big fan of Joao's all-over-the-place drive to maniacally collect anything and everything that takes his fancy.

He's also a very good painter!

Surprised and glad to see you're branching out into a bit of sculpting. It's looking really good!
Back to top Go down
http://necropolishorrorskirmish.blogspot.com/
JoaoS
Etheral
Etheral
JoaoS

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop Icon_minitimeSun 29 Jan 2012 - 22:01

Thanks guys! Really helps to get positive feedback and knowing how to make sense of all this wacky paraphernalia!
@ DeafNala: who is the disreputable old man you know? Wink
@ WarbossKurgan: I hope to get started with the pirates as soon as possible (but I might get stuck with some other random project in the meantime). Smile
@ Tim: "all-over-the-place drive to maniacally collect anything and everything" is the best way to describe my approach to the hobby!

I'll be posting photos tonight, so watch this space. Smile

Joao
Back to top Go down
JoaoS
Etheral
Etheral
JoaoS

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop Icon_minitimeMon 30 Jan 2012 - 0:33

Hello!

I've finally managed to base some of the miniatures I painted recently and get some terrain sorted. This took a few hours but it was worth it.

First of all, a portrait of the "artist".
Joao's Random Workshop 0113
My girlfriend took this picture while I was painting a mausoleum of GW's Garden of Morr. By then, the house had been turned upside down as I was batch painting and basing 22 trees, dozen of terrain pieces and around 50 miniatures. No, it's not easy to live with me.

Moving on. Here are the completed Wendigos, from Crocodile Games.
Joao's Random Workshop 0213
I might be using these ten fellows are Beastmen proxies for Mordheim.

Three GW Night Goblin Fanatics.
Joao's Random Workshop 0314
Joao's Random Workshop 0413
Joao's Random Workshop 0514
I might not have any use for these guys, but they look great and were quite straightforward to paint.

Speaking of fanatics, here are a few Empire Flagellants.
Joao's Random Workshop 0613
Joao's Random Workshop 0713
I didn't put as much effort on the detail as I wanted. This is what happens when I do batch-painting on human models (always trouble with the skin...).

And a "bit" of undead stuff, which was lurking around for quite a while.

Mordheim Ghouls, from GW - I got them with a Wraith that I had ordered from eBay. They came as very handy extras.
Joao's Random Workshop 0813

Vampire Counts Skeletons, from GW. Easy and fast to paint.
Joao's Random Workshop 0913
Joao's Random Workshop 1012

Mummy Servant Priests, from West Wind Productions. I love their dynamic poses and they really look good with the rest of the undead bunch.
Joao's Random Workshop 1112

And some undead terrain.

Cemetery Chapel, from Ziterdes.
Joao's Random Workshop 1211
It was surprisingly easy to paint (mostly with drybrushing techniques) and has a fair level of detail. I added four GW gargoyles to adorn the building. The other advantage of Ziterdes buildings is definitely the sturdiness of the model. Its hard foam makes it almost indestructible (as opposed to resin buildings - unfortunately...).

And still on the topic of foam, here's an old Citadel graveyard.
Joao's Random Workshop 1311

Joao's Random Workshop 1411
It came pre-painted and flocked with grass (in some annoying spots too), so I sprayed it with black and repainted the whole thing. The paint scheme was very similar to the one used on the chapel.

Adding to these, I painted GW Garden of Morr. This is by far the best terrain they've done since Storm of Magic came out, in my opinion. And not as tricky to paint as I thought. Here's a quick shot of one of the fences (with the inevitable skulls).
Joao's Random Workshop 1511

Some of the extra bits that came with the kit were put on a scenic base. This can be placed on the periphery of the graveyard or even in the middle of a spooky forest.
Joao's Random Workshop 1611

Speaking of spooky forest, I went a bit mad and got myself 12 Citadel Trees and put random terrain bits on them, like some tomb stones from the zombies kit.
Joao's Random Workshop 1711

Finally (boy, you're brave if you're still reading this!), after a long interregnum in my medieval town project, I saw this amazing thread (http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=32806.0) which made me go back to my civilians. It also gave me loads of inspiration for colour schemes, especially for the civilians clothes. Some of the following miniatures are using green, red, yellow or blue to create a more colourful feel to the town.

And here they are:
Sheriff and deputy (like Bob Marley's song).
Joao's Random Workshop 1811
The sheriff is a model from Dark Sword miniatures called Shadow Tower Raven Keeper. His evil helper is called King's Advisor, from Mega Miniatures (their models are much better than what they look like on the site. And quite cheap too).
These guys are going to be wandering around the town, making sure they punish as many poor civilians as they can.

Scribe's helper.
Joao's Random Workshop 1911
Joao's Random Workshop 2010
He came in a blister pack with a wizard from Mirliton Miniatures. The fact that is carrying loads of books and scrolls made me think that he could go well with the scribes that I already have in my town.

Minstrel, from Hasslefree Miniatures.
Joao's Random Workshop 2110
The town was needing some nice tunes and melodies to entertain the locals, so why not giving them this singing chap?

Tavern drunkards.
Joao's Random Workshop 2210
The one on the left is some old Citadel miniature whose name I can't remember at the moment. The one in the middle is one of the fellows from Mordheim's Frenzied Mob. And the one on the right is a Bar fighter with bottle from Black Cat Bases. They all go well together and their unifying element is indeed the bottle(s). You can only expect trouble from these three.

Peasants.
Joao's Random Workshop 2310
These came from Lead Adventure's range called Bruegelburg. They are exceptionally sculpted and were a joy to paint.
I just love the amount of unnecessary detail they've put into these models (including the cheeky rat going round the lady's dress).
Joao's Random Workshop 2410

Apple Seller.
Joao's Random Workshop 2510
This is a very nice model from Alionas Miniatures. I got this one after seeing Cianty's excellent townsfolk from his Gierburg project: http://cianty-tabletop.blogspot.com/search/label/Gierburg?updated-max=2010-01-30T14:07:00%2B01:00&max-results=20
In fact, the painting tips from Tom on that article were crucial for me when I painted the apple vendor.

Fishwife, from Alionas Miniatures.
Joao's Random Workshop 2610
Another addition to the collection via Cianty. She is such a fine sculpt, that I couldn't help myself from getting her. Also, my medieval market was lacking some fish, so she was a must to get!

Here's one of her sons.
Joao's Random Workshop 2710
He came originally with Mordheim's Witch Hunters' pack, but I saw him more as an angry fishmonger, so there!

And the other son, who came from Mordheim's Frenzied Mob, completes the fishmongers gang.
Joao's Random Workshop 2810
He's always getting in trouble with the fish as you can see.

Last, but not least, the puppeteer.
Joao's Random Workshop 2910
Another Mordheim Witch Hunter. I chopped his weapon off his staff and placed the head of a monk to make up a puppet. The play could be called "The Angry Monk and the Deadly Bishop".

And this is it.

Next up, a bit of outdoors photography.

Joao
Back to top Go down
JoaoS
Etheral
Etheral
JoaoS

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop Icon_minitimeMon 30 Jan 2012 - 0:59

After the "studio" shots, I took the whole gang to a trip in the garden, where I could get some natural light for some atmospheric pictures.

Starting off with the town and its growing population.
Joao's Random Workshop 0214

Joao's Random Workshop 0315

Joao's Random Workshop 0414

Joao's Random Workshop 0515
The peasants gossip near the main town square. Probably on the topics of cost of food or clothes...

Joao's Random Workshop 0614

Joao's Random Workshop 0714

Joao's Random Workshop 0914

Joao's Random Workshop 1013
The drunkards decide to mess with the wrong guy: the local baker!

Joao's Random Workshop 1113
The brothers get into a fight with their own fish. Their mom watches them and shakes her head in disapproval.

Joao's Random Workshop 1212
The market bustling with all sorts of townsfolk.

The spooky cemetery on the outskirts of the town. As you can see, it's not the best place to wander around on your own...
Joao's Random Workshop 1312

Joao's Random Workshop 1412

Joao's Random Workshop 1512

Joao's Random Workshop 1612

Joao's Random Workshop 1712

Joao's Random Workshop 1812

Joao's Random Workshop 1912

Joao's Random Workshop 2011

Joao's Random Workshop 2111

A group of flagellants marches relentlessly in the middle of the woods.
Joao's Random Workshop 2211

The Wendigos in their natural habitat, being led by their mighty chieftain and shaman.
Joao's Random Workshop 2411

Joao's Random Workshop 2511

Joao's Random Workshop 2611

And the goblin fanatics, with plenty of room to play with their balls (I'm not being rude here).
Joao's Random Workshop 2311

I hope you've enjoyed it. Please let me know if there is anything I should change or improve on the painting side of things.

Joao
Back to top Go down
gewaltatron
Hero
Hero
gewaltatron

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Carnival of Chaos (EIF) Carnival of Chaos (EIF)

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop Icon_minitimeMon 30 Jan 2012 - 1:20

I LOVE the mummies!
Back to top Go down
http://40kcampaigncologne.blogspot.com/
The Yak
Knight
Knight
The Yak

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop Icon_minitimeMon 30 Jan 2012 - 1:49

Post of the Year! Post of the Year! Post of the year!

So many cool things to say about this lot I don't know where to begin....

Im going to have to do it in a few shifts I think.

First up the amazing atmospheric shot favourites

The puppet master and his hard to please audience
The Fish Brothers
The Butcher fighting off the drunks

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Got to go now but will comment on all the cool miniatures tomorrow

Great Work Joao
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop Icon_minitimeMon 30 Jan 2012 - 1:55

That is INCREDIBLE; all your diverse little projects seem to have all come together to form an AMAZING collection that somehow work WONDERFULLY together...you've been busier than a one armed paper hanger. FANTASTICALLY WELL DONE! thumbsup

I think I'll go back & browse my way through them all again...maybe a couple of time so I don't miss anything . Shocked
Back to top Go down
5pointer
Elder
Elder
5pointer

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop Icon_minitimeMon 30 Jan 2012 - 8:32

It is all amazing, but the Fishmonger Family is my favourite! Keep up the awesome work!
Back to top Go down
timplanet
Hero
Hero
timplanet

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop Icon_minitimeMon 30 Jan 2012 - 17:18

Obviously these pictures are plain incredible – especially the
outdoor spooky shots.

But do you realise you’ve been very spare on your pictures
of the Garden of Morr. You’ve only provided glimpses and I’d like to see a lot
more.

And don’t forget your little Garden of Morr mausoleums fit
over some of the graves in the GW graveyard. Try it!
Back to top Go down
http://necropolishorrorskirmish.blogspot.com/
qboid
Elder
Elder
qboid

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop Icon_minitimeMon 30 Jan 2012 - 18:20

Great collection you have going there mate, some fantastic paint jobs, the winner for me is the apple seller, but its all really nice.

I think those Mummies are going to get ordered.
How do the West Wind figs scale with GW?
Back to top Go down
floedebolle
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
floedebolle

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop Icon_minitimeMon 30 Jan 2012 - 19:16

Great work, those town pics look awesome, full of life!

Bob Parkhurst: Take it!
[she undoes her shirt - exeunt]
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop Icon_minitimeMon 30 Jan 2012 - 19:27

floedebolle wrote:
Great work, those town pics look awesome, full of life!

Even better...the Town Scenes are filled with some GREAT LOOKING buildings. Any chance of showing us your Town? What a Face
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Monks (BTB) Monks (BTB)
Achievements earned: Silver Tom Silver Tom

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop Icon_minitimeMon 30 Jan 2012 - 20:37

Oh man... Whattalottaeyecandy!! bounce bounce bounce Very inspirational stuff. I obvisouly especially love the civilians and the town shots. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://cianty-tabletop.blogspot.com/
mr_harold
Hero
Hero
mr_harold

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop Icon_minitimeMon 30 Jan 2012 - 21:48

Wonderful miniatures, and the outside pictures look fantastic! Especially the one with the town center and all the townsfolk.
Back to top Go down
http://clearhorizonsalvage.blogspot.com/
JoaoS
Etheral
Etheral
JoaoS

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop Icon_minitimeWed 1 Feb 2012 - 23:15

Wow! This is quite some feedback - certainly more than I can handle! Smile

OK, on with the replies:

@ gewaltatron and qboid: the mummies were a very good addition to my undead gang. And they weren't that expensive. As for the scale, they certainly scale with GW. Here's an example:

Joao's Random Workshop Dsc_0414

In fact, most of the Gothic Horror range from West Wind is definitely worth checking as they have tons of different characters and monsters that you won't find anywhere else.

@ Yak, 5pointer, mr_harold and floedebolle: thanks a lot! The town and its inhabitants is quite an enduring project but it's coming along. When I see a miniature and decide to get it, it's usually because I saw a potential "narrative" for the model. The fishmongers are a good example of it. All of them came from different packs.

@ Cianty: thank you for the great inspiration!

@ timplanet: it wasn't enough that you came to the house and check out the terrain for yourself, you want me to go back to the freezing cold to take some more pictures, you evil man! Smile
Anyway, I will take a few more photos of the Garden of Morr as soon as I get the chance.

@ DeafNala: "one armed paper hanger" was a funny thing to picture.
The town itself is mainly composed by Ziterdes houses, GW buildings, GW fortress and a couple of Conflix houses. I also have an amazing Tabletop World house, but it's still unfinished (surprise, surprise...)
Just like with the Garden of Morr, I will need to take a few outdoors pics, which may take a while.

Anyway, thank you so much for checking this stuff out. I can't promise I will update this regularly, but I can always try!

Joao
Back to top Go down
magokiron
Ancient
Ancient
magokiron

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop Icon_minitimeTue 28 Feb 2012 - 18:03

WOW! Shocked Shocked Shocked

Man, you're my hero!

Beautiful scenery, carefully chosen miniatures with a GORGEOUS paint job, and lovely atmospheric pics, this is one of the BEST threads I've seen.

Thanks fopr sharing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Joao's Random Workshop   Joao's Random Workshop Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Joao's Random Workshop
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next