Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Shading red with green and blue

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
utu
Hero
Hero
utu

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:
Achievements earned: none

Shading red with green and blue Empty
PostSubject: Shading red with green and blue   Shading red with green and blue Icon_minitimeSun 4 Dec 2011 - 2:43

I have a White Dwarf article about shading red with a green wash or a blue wash mixed 1:1 with devlan mud. Has anyone tried either of these? I'm painting an old, OOP model(I'll save what it is till I post it! Wink ) and I was partial to the regal blue/devlan mud mix, thinking it will make the red pop a little more than just shading with brown. But I was also considering using Leviathan Purple mixed with Devlan Mud - would this work do you think? And would it make it "pop" more or less than using blue? (Probably less.) But would it look a little more natural? I'll probably go with the blue, but I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts.

Note: I'll say of the model, it's not a Mordheim model but could be used for several warbands and it's quite handsome!
Back to top Go down
siteon

siteon

Trading Reputation : 0

Shading red with green and blue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shading red with green and blue   Shading red with green and blue Icon_minitimeSat 10 Mar 2012 - 16:17

Hi,
The thread is a bit old, but I decided to share two of my experiments with shading red using its complimentary colours here.
The first one is a WH captain (I didnt finshed painting him yet, which is cearly visible)...
The red parts on him have been shaded by adding a some blue paint to a standard red and brown mix.
Unfortunately it is not so clearly visible on the picture, but in reality the shades are going from very light blue grey down to purple grey.

Shading red with green and blue Dsc_0312

On the second mini I tryied out shading red with green. I picked up crimson red for the base, and I have been adding various amounts of a dark green to it.
Again in reality the green is more visible than on the picture. The green shadows are similiar to what I imagine a Roman centurion cloak would look like.

Shading red with green and blue Dsc_0313

Cheers,
siteon
Back to top Go down

Shading red with green and blue
Page 1 of 1