Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Southlands Environments

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
BalrogTheBuff
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
BalrogTheBuff

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: none

Southlands Environments Empty
PostSubject: Southlands Environments   Southlands Environments Icon_minitimeWed 23 Nov 2011 - 19:45

Coastal Regions

Treasure

The main source of income for warbands in the Coastal Regions of the Southlands comes in the form of Salvage. This ranges from usable weapons and armor to alchemists equipment or even raw materials. Salvage comes in the form of heavy boxes, crates, barrels or similar. No matter the type of container it uses the following rules (adapted from Sartosa ).
Each piece of Salvage can be carried by a single non-animal model at base movement rate (no running allowed). Two models may carry a piece of Salvage, in which case they may run. While carrying Salvage, the model may not fire any missile weapons or use any spells. If attacked, the Salvage will be dropped, ready to be carried by anyone coming into contact with it. Once a model escapes off the board with Salvage, it may not return. Should a warband rout while any of its members have Salvage, the goods are lost if the model is within charge range of any upright, non-engaged opponents.
Stash: A warband may choose to secret their Salvage in one place rather than carry them around. Salvage crates in a stash must be within 1” of each other. To claim ownership at least one model must be in base contact with a piece of Salvage, or he must be the only model within 1” other than friends. Animals may also guard a stash even though they cannot carry Salvage. Of course, it is putting all your eggs in one basket.

For the sake Exploring for and selling Salvage, it is treated the exact same as Wyrdstone, Valuables, or similar goods. The exception is that once per Exploration Phase, you may open one piece of Salvage that you are not selling. Subtract it from your total and roll D66 on the Chart below (coming soon?). In addition Salvage must be kept track of separately from other Treasure types, but may be sold in combination with.

Dangers

The coast of the Southlands is full of abandoned outposts and villages as well as treacherous waters and rocky coastlines. Not every coastal region board needs to actually have a beach.

Beach sand – The sandy beaches are little hindrance to basic movement. However the sand can be difficult to move quickly. Models count sand as open ground; however movement enhancing skills or special rules such as Tall and Swift, Sprint, etc. may not be used if the model runs through the sand.

Dirt/Mud – The ground gets soft and muddy very quickly during heavy rain. When the Heavy Rain weather is in effect and during the turn after Heavy Rain ceases all movement for models is reduced by 1, but otherwise counts as open ground. Dirt roads are assumed to be harder packed and do not suffer from this rule.

Jagged Rocks – The coastal areas are riddled with jagged rocks with sharp edges. Any model falling (not simply knocked down) onto Jagged Rocks increases the strength of the fall by 1. If the falling model passes their initiative test they still take a strength 1 hit. Models jumping or performing a diving charge are not affected unless they fail their test.

Quicksand – Quicksand is present in the coasts of the Southlands. Unlike the bard stories however a calm person can wiggle out of quicksand fairly easily. If a model does not move in a turn while standing in quicksand they must take an Initiative test to prevent from sinking to their ankles. If the test is failed the model may not move until a Leadership test is passed, the turn they break free the model may not run or charge. Non-mounted animals automatically pass this test. Mounts use their rider’s leadership. A model not in combat equipped with a rope and hook within 3” may help a model escape without a leadership test required. A model that is stunned in quicksand automatically becomes stuck as if they failed the initiative test.

Strong Waves – The Southlands has strong waves that can often knock down unwary warriors. At the beginning of every each players recovery phase roll a D6 for each model fully in ocean waters. On a 1 that model must pass a Strength Test or be knocked down and swept away in a direction based on the chart below. Models may stand up in this turn. Models that start their turn knocked down or stunned automatically are swept away. Aquatic creatures may reroll failed Strength Tests for being swept away. Any model swept off the edge of the table is pulled into deep waters and is immediately taken Out Of Action and but instead of rolling for Serious Injuries must roll for drowning after the battle.

Drowning Chart
(Aquatic models add +2, Heavy or Gromril Armor subtracts 1)
1 or less! - Drowning! Pass toughness test or drown and be count as the Dead result from Serious Injuries.
2 - Swept Away! If model's warband lost the battle pass Toughness test or be Captured by the winner. If model's warband won the battle count as Survives Against the Odds.
3 - Where Am I? Model misses D3 games before finding their way back to their Warband.
4 - Almost Didn't Make It! Miss next game due to mental and physical trauma.
5 - Close One! Ld Test or miss the next game due to the harrowing experience taking its toll.
6+ Found em Boss! The model is found safe and sound.

Swept Away Chart
1 – D3” Towards the shore
2 – D6” left along the shore
3 – D6” right along the shore
4-6 – D3” out to sea

Weather (Coming Soon?)

Salvage Chart (Coming Soon?)
Back to top Go down
Horatio
Knight
Knight
Horatio

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Bretonnians (Unofficial) Bretonnians (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Southlands Environments   Southlands Environments Icon_minitimeThu 24 Nov 2011 - 3:07

I might rename the Treasure section, since the boxes you are collecting are actually called salvage.

That drowning injury chart is really lenient. If someone in platemail really fell into a body of water, they would have a hell of a time getting out.
Back to top Go down
StyrofoamKing
Etheral
Etheral
StyrofoamKing

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Southlands Environments   Southlands Environments Icon_minitimeThu 24 Nov 2011 - 16:13

Horatio: Yeah, but it's for balance, I suspect. With armor, you have a 1/3rd chance of dying. OUCH!

Quicksand: I know real quicksand doesn't work the way it does in the movies, but what if it did? Remember, this is an exaggerated grim-dark world... if it couldn't kill you before, it can now!

I recommend you mix Sand + Quicksand. Whenever you move to a new location on sand, roll 2D6: on a natural 2, you stepped into the Quicksand! Put a 2" diameter marker on the board (small blast from warhammer) You and all models under it are now caught. While caught in quicksand, all combat is temporary stopped- you got bigger things to worry about
During their movement turn, they must pass an initiative test to break free- if you pass, your model moves to the closest unoccupied solid ground and stops at that point- he may not move further this turn. An initiative roll of 1 automatically succeeds. If you fail the test, the model remains in the quicksand, unable to move, fight, shoot, or cast spells. If you roll a natural 6 on your initiative test or become stunned or out of action while in the quicksand, you are pulled under. Roll on the "Drowned" injury chart. If a friendly model within 6" has a Rope and Hook, you may reroll the initiative test once each turn- if your model escapes, he will be moved in that model's direction (pulling himself along the rope).

Mud - I love the idea, but reduce movement to 1/2 or to 1/4. Don't subtract inches, that gets messy.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/styroheim/
Horatio
Knight
Knight
Horatio

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Bretonnians (Unofficial) Bretonnians (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Southlands Environments   Southlands Environments Icon_minitimeThu 24 Nov 2011 - 16:55

I remember seeing some rules like this in White Dwarf around the Lustria Campaign. You might want to look them up and see what they did, just for comparison. Needless to say Mordheim is a very different game, but it might give you some ideas for additional hazards.

If I were being especially devious, I would make armored models who entered water features willingly make an armor save. If they passed, then they would have to roll on the drowning table as there armor weighed them down! *chuckles maniacly*
Back to top Go down
BalrogTheBuff
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
BalrogTheBuff

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Southlands Environments   Southlands Environments Icon_minitimeThu 1 Dec 2011 - 20:57

I call it 'Treasure' as each of the three locations will have a different source of income, but instead of wyrdstone i called it 'treasure'. Should I call it loot or something? Or is there a good generic term for Wyrdstone/Cargo/Whatever?

I dislike things that can instantly kill a character, which is why I did not make the chart too deadly. But Heavy Armor is a 1/3 chance to die.

I did not use the 'Fake Quicksand' for this because the Coastal areas are the less dangerous of the 3 locales planned. The Jungle however will have sinkholes, head deep mud, dense underbrush, killer animals that will jump out and eat your face, poisonous insects and more. The Tusker Plains will be mostly focused around tall grass and of course animals.

The Jungle I want to be very high risk high reward, the Plains will allow you multiple ways to kill things to earn more money, and the Coastal Region will be compartively basic, other than the use of Salvage.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Southlands Environments   Southlands Environments Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Southlands Environments
Page 1 of 1