HomeFAQSearchRegisterUsergroupsBlogLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Share | 

Lazy cobblestone gaming board... Help!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
The Yak
Knight
Knight

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Lazy cobblestone gaming board... Help!   Sun 6 Nov 2011 - 13:41

Hi there fellow Mordheimers.

I have recently decided that I am going to make a gaming board specifically for Mordheim. I have some pieces of MDF board that was going spare in an old shop I worked in (no I didn't pinch them).

I have 1 piece 4' x 4'
and 2 pieces 4' x 2'

I want to cover them in plasticard with a cobblestone or paving effect but do not know where to get hold of pieces large enough to cover the boards. I have looked on line at a few different places but they only seem to be sold in small sheets (i.e. 30cm x 14cm). I don't want it to look like there are loads of seems all over the place that will show up when dry brushed.

I have seen some amazing boards on here but do not have the skills of patience to sculpt or cut up loads of individual cobbles (lazy you see).

I intend to have the 4' x 4' completely covered in cobblestones (with some badly maintained, burnt and smashed areas obviously) and use the smaller sections as a dockside piece and a wasteland/ forest piece.

It does not necessarily have to be plasticard, if anyone knows of any other materials such as polystyrene tiles or even wall paper then point me in the direction and I will check it out.

Any info will be greatly excepted. Thanks in advance Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Etrigan001
Knight
Knight

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Lazy cobblestone gaming board... Help!   Sun 6 Nov 2011 - 15:13

plasticard can be pretty pricey even in small pieces.

maybe textured wallpaper?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Lazy cobblestone gaming board... Help!   Sun 6 Nov 2011 - 17:02

Textured wallpaper is the best. Paintable textured wall paper is even better. A google search should find you something.

I have a roll made by Graham & Brown.

www.grahambrown.com

Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Yak
Knight
Knight

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Lazy cobblestone gaming board... Help!   Mon 7 Nov 2011 - 2:58

Cheers!

I have never been that much of a terrain builder so am not used to the materials, I didn't realise how expensive plasticard is. It would cost me well over a ton to go down that route.

I will check out some textured wall paper and keep you updated.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrHobo
Champion
Champion

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Carnival of Chaos (EIF) Carnival of Chaos (EIF)

PostSubject: Re: Lazy cobblestone gaming board... Help!   Mon 7 Nov 2011 - 7:59

Or you might think about using the same method I'm planning to use on my table.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rupert
Youngblood
Youngblood

PostSubject: Re: Lazy cobblestone gaming board... Help!   Mon 7 Nov 2011 - 8:30

Hi, you can also look for leather imitation. Glue it on your mdf, and paint however you want. Type leather in google images search and check if there are any patterns that you might like- there are many different kinds. It can be also used to cover walls to give them different structure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Yak
Knight
Knight

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Lazy cobblestone gaming board... Help!   Mon 7 Nov 2011 - 14:29

HMMM some interesting thoughts here

@ DrHobo: I have seen your grand plans and although I am looking forward with great expectation to see what your board looks like. I have to sadly be honest with myself and work on something a little less complicated. I am unfamiliar with the products needed to create my own plates and being a little on the inpatient side do not know if I could sculpt even the tiles needed for the mould. No I think I will just watch your project develop and learn from that and the creation of this board. If all goes well I may attempt something better in the future Smile

@ Rupert: I had never thought of using leather I will put this on my list of things to look into. Thanks

I have been doing a little more thinking on the idea. I remember someone telling me when I was a wee nipper that when drawing say a house for instance you can give the appearance of it being made out of bricks without drawing EVERY brick. Just by doing random patches of brickwork.

A while ago (whilst looking for Pirate ships) I came across The Legends of the High seas pirate games supplies which can be accessed by typing in games of war 28mm pirate ships in google (sorry I am unable to post a link as I'm a newbee!) They do paved courtyard sections that come in little pieces that you can fit together like a jig saw.

I was thinking that I could get say about 32 of them, position them in various random patterns around the board Incorporating certain large areas towards the centre signifying the centre of town. Then I could use my oh so brave, 'cover it in sand and paint the bugger brown technique' (TM) to fill the rest of the baord

This again is just musings until I can go and check out some different options.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrHobo
Champion
Champion

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Carnival of Chaos (EIF) Carnival of Chaos (EIF)

PostSubject: Re: Lazy cobblestone gaming board... Help!   Mon 7 Nov 2011 - 16:30

The Yak, no problem. As I have stated in my thread, I've created a bit of a monster with this one - and on the weekend, my partner-in-crime sort of confessed to me that the has already been drawing plans for a modular 6x4 cityfight table... awesome, now we have what? Around about 4 different sets of tiles in the planning? And the first set is just in the stage of pre-production? Forget the "monster", this is a f*cking war mammoth with skeleton bear cavalry wizards as riders... but I digress.

I guess the tiles you mentioned were those?

They look really good, especially for pirate settings. I was thinking of the same tiles for a while, but they don't look very medieval to me and are more suited to Georgian or Victorian era settings (where "Legends of the High Seas" takes place, naturally). Oh, and feel free to correct me about the era's names, I'm not too firm with your history... around here it has basically been the Habsburgers all around Very Happy.

Like I said, it's not very suited to my project (to be geeky: I don't need Port Royal, I want Bree).

But if you ever get around to use them, please share a review with us. Oh, and bear in mind - for a 4x4 table you're going to need approximately 220 tiles - that's a LOAD of money...

Another idea I had during the more creative (read "mercilessly overconfident rambling") phase of the project's inception was to take a piece of chicken wire (or any other metal mesh), glue it around a rolling pin, then cover the whole surface in a thin layer of plaster (or modelling putty, or maybe tile adhesive) before rolling over it with the pin... you'd get a nice, even, hexagonal pattern (or whatever mesh pattern you chose) with this, and with a little extra effort (like gently tapping the surface with stones, etc), you'd create a rather convincing texture...

... but take that with a pinch of salt, since I've never actually tried it on such a scale, just using a similar technique for bases and display bases and, like I've said, I did quite some hallucinating when planning our table...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pervavita
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Amazons (Unofficial) Amazons (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Lazy cobblestone gaming board... Help!   Tue 8 Nov 2011 - 11:00

here is my idea;
Model Magic, you can buy it cheap (I think a big tub is about $25.00 US) and it is also vary light.
I just picked some up and it molds pritty easy but takes a few days to air dry (and even then still some what plyable if thick). But for it's light waight and cost i don't complain.
I am going to start painting it soon; it should paint easy.

any way take a big slab of this to your cutting board and get a rolling pin (for cooking) and flatten it like you would dough for cookies or pie crust.
After done and it's thin cut off the extra and then place it on your base of choice (say card board) then trim the excess off to make it fit.
Then just take your tools and make the stones how you like; maybe make a pattern to use if you like.

End result is if I remember the cost of a tub your looking at your game board base getting done up with modular pieces at maybe $25.00-$30.00 + cost of what you chose to place it on. The only real investment is the time you put into doing the stones up and then the few days set aside to have it dry.

and any extra you have you can use to make rubble if you like.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
renfield286
Captain
Captain

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven

PostSubject: Re: Lazy cobblestone gaming board... Help!   Tue 8 Nov 2011 - 15:19

Left is the plasticard & Right is the leatherette. if you are considering that route
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://renfieldin28mm.6sided.net/
rhuntar
Warrior
Warrior

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Lazy cobblestone gaming board... Help!   Tue 8 Nov 2011 - 18:41

The cobblestone method that i'm currently pursuing is using joint compund, a drywall mud or putty, and carving/drawing cobblestones into that.

I spread out a between 1/8" and 1/4", draw large irregular stone shapes with a dull pencil or other small tapered stick, and then let it dry.

The next day I hit it, lightly, with a palm sander until it's smooth, and retrace out the grout lines.

I haven't got any painted yet, as i'm doing these on the inch or so on the front side of my buildings, but a nice coat of some kind of sealer or shellac should keep it from being too chip-able

Cheap and not crazy time intensive.

just my two bits.
If i get around to getting some pictures up, i'll make sure to include my current streets...

-rhuntar
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DeafNala
Honour Guard
Honour Guard

Trading Reputation : 8

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Lazy cobblestone gaming board... Help!   Tue 8 Nov 2011 - 19:22

I find that gluing a layer of Fan Foam style insulation over the base board; roughing it up with coarse sand paper; & drawing the cobblestones with a pencil or ball point pen works just fine. All told it takes about a day & costs around $5 to $10 dollars. What a Face
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Yak
Knight
Knight

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Lazy cobblestone gaming board... Help!   Wed 9 Nov 2011 - 15:28

Sweet lord Marius! Toms Boring Mordheim Log is obviously the place to come for when you need some help. I've gone from having vaguely no idea what to do, to having more options that I can shake a dead frog at! Respect is due to you all and thanks.

@ DrHobo: I know what you mean about the cost of those tiles but was at the time just thinking of having 30-40 spread about with sand and grass in-between but I will probably go with something else now. Your right about getting the right feel/time/place right I was thinking of doing the board to match my Estallian's I am working on. Maybe setting it in the time period when Estalia was over run with Undead, Arabians and any one else who felt like kicking that lands ripe arse!

@ Pervavita: Cheers, I would have never have thought of using this but I think I will get some and test it out on making a small section of cobbles. My only concern Is it's durability on a large gaming board (you know with people leaning on it, losers punching it, my son sleeping on it etc etc).

@ Renfield 286: Nice one for the comparison shots. I thought leather might be good for cost, ease and durability but having seen all the cool stuff that's on this forum feel like I may be a little braver and opt for something else. The level of detail on the plasticard is superb so I am aspiring to get it to look like that (somehow)

@ Rhuntar: Another good suggestion I think that no matter how lazy I want to be I am going to have to do some form of carving or printing so I will bear your idea in mind, Thanks.

@ DeafNala: You know what, I think I may have a little try of that and see how I get on with it, Cheers.

So many ideas to try out when I get some time I will give you updates on my progress.

In the meantime keep an eye out for my painting plog "The Ballad of Bloody Bernard" The trials and tribulations of keeping your flashy pants clean in Mordheim. Over in the painting and Modelling section.

Dont forget to feed The Yak Sir, yes sir!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
renfield286
Captain
Captain

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven

PostSubject: Re: Lazy cobblestone gaming board... Help!   Wed 9 Nov 2011 - 22:55

Something like this then.
obviously not that one because its 46 per roll.

For the fake leather also, with the same detail as the plasticard, take a look at fake crocodile & Aligator leather.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://renfieldin28mm.6sided.net/
JoaoS
Etheral
Etheral

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Lazy cobblestone gaming board... Help!   Sat 12 Nov 2011 - 3:54

This one is not cheap, I think, but it may be of interest for some of you:

http://www.zuzzy.com/sw-fg-001-flagston-paven-gaming-mat.html

Joao
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fistful-minis.blogspot.co.uk/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lazy cobblestone gaming board... Help!   Today at 9:08

Back to top Go down

Lazy cobblestone gaming board... Help!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1