Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Rules for mounts and riding

Go down 
+2
RationalLemming
Saranor
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Saranor
Warlord
Warlord
Saranor

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Shadow Warriors (Unofficial) Shadow Warriors (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: none

Rules for mounts and riding Empty
PostSubject: Rules for mounts and riding   Rules for mounts and riding Icon_minitimeWed 19 Oct 2011 - 10:01

Hi,

what experience did you have with mounts and riding?
Do you use the rules from EiF or the simple set from the LRB?

Would you recommend to use mounts at all?

Saranor
Back to top Go down
RationalLemming
Etheral
Etheral
RationalLemming

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

PostSubject: Re: Rules for mounts and riding   Rules for mounts and riding Icon_minitimeWed 19 Oct 2011 - 13:32

We have not had much experience but we've always used the EiF / Blazing Saddles rules.

I think that most people generally recommend not using mounts! Laughing Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
http://sites.google.com/site/ourhouserules/mordheim
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Rules for mounts and riding   Rules for mounts and riding Icon_minitimeWed 19 Oct 2011 - 18:48

We have used the Blazing Saddles rules since they were published. Our campaigns use mounts a lot since we hardly ever play in Mordheim proper but do spend a fair amount of time riding around the Empire and Khemri.

The Blazing Saddles rules seem to have been written to discourage the use of mounts in Mordheim battles. They are complicated, require multiple skill slots and are lethal to your warriors.

We often kinda fudge the rules a bit during play to make them less annoying, Some recommendations--
-make mounts less expensive. We provide a warband with 250 gold to spend only on mounts to start.
-allow a number of heroes to start with the Ride skill.
-reduce the number of Whoa Boy tests.
-increase the number of 'free' mounts by adding mounts to the Exploration chart and to scenarios.
-Step Aside and Dodge work while on horseback.

Another idea is to keep the cost of mounts high but include the ride skill with the purchase fee.

I haven't tried this but you could also adopt the rules from Legends of the Old West.
-A warrior with a horse can ride it. No skill set necessary.
-The first wound suffered takes the horse OOA. The rider takes an I test or suffers fall damage,
-Horses can not die.
Back to top Go down
whiskeytango
Warlord
Warlord
whiskeytango

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: Rules for mounts and riding   Rules for mounts and riding Icon_minitimeWed 19 Oct 2011 - 21:12

Mounts are great for pretty much any of the supplements, since they tend to be more of an open world setting, but they are little more than a huge hassle in mordheim. The nightmare up trying to get to someone on an elevated level is enough to keep me from ever using one.

I really like that idea of 250gc to spend jut on mounts. That'd be a good idea to adopt for other stuff too. Hmm... I shall think on this
Back to top Go down
mweaver
Etheral
Etheral
mweaver

PostSubject: Re: Rules for mounts and riding   Rules for mounts and riding Icon_minitimeWed 19 Oct 2011 - 22:41

Some very interesting ideas there, von Kurst. For Mordheim itself, I don't think mounts should be common, and I agree the rules are intended to make them rare. But once you are out of Mordheim, mounts should be more common, but with the Blazing Saddles rules as written they are a huge money sink.

Back to top Go down
gorenut
Veteran
Veteran
gorenut

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead

PostSubject: Re: Rules for mounts and riding   Rules for mounts and riding Icon_minitimeThu 20 Oct 2011 - 18:30

I really like mounts, but obviously would like to limit them since they seem potentially very powerful. I'm thinking of starting up Orcs as my next warband and taking a War Boar (always loved them) and would love to see an "epic" battle between an Orc on Boar vs Saurus on Cold One.

I'm thinking of just taking costs as is and not deal with random things like having to take the ride skill, etc. What do you guys think of this?
Back to top Go down
Saranor
Warlord
Warlord
Saranor

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Shadow Warriors (Unofficial) Shadow Warriors (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Rules for mounts and riding   Rules for mounts and riding Icon_minitimeTue 25 Oct 2011 - 11:57

thank you for you advices.

We will discuss it and decide if we use them (perhaps they are only allowed to used in scenarios outside mortheim) and with which rules.

Perhaps we can make some test-games with the rules (including the ideas from von Kurst). Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rules for mounts and riding   Rules for mounts and riding Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rules for mounts and riding
Page 1 of 1