Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Re-roll during exploration phase (Edit: and casting spells!)

Go down 
+6
Lord 0
RationalLemming
Dribble Joy
whiskeytango
Mephysto
Spiku
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Spiku
Warrior
Warrior
Spiku

Trading Reputation : 0

Re-roll during exploration phase (Edit: and casting spells!) Empty
PostSubject: Re-roll during exploration phase (Edit: and casting spells!)   Re-roll during exploration phase (Edit: and casting spells!) Icon_minitimeMon 17 Oct 2011 - 0:46

Edit: Famililar lets you re-roll a failed cast attemptl. Mind Focus lets you re-roll one of the dice used in a difficulty roll

A) Re-roll one of the dice via Mind Focus, Familiar lets you re-roll the other one if you want
B) Re-roll one of the dice via Mind Focus, Familiar lets you re-roll both
C) Re-roll one of the dice via Mind Focus, Familiar re-roll both, Mind Focus one of the dice again
D) I am misreading it and by one failed roll, Familiar is not referring to the "difficulty roll" but a die roll for the difficulty roll, and A) applies

Original:

Given that there are a variety of ways to reroll dice during exploration phase, can you re-roll a die more than once?

I notice Wyrdstone Hunter say second result stands, but then there's the rabbit's foot and what have you which don't specify; say may six heroes have 18 re-roll effects between them, is it still only re-roll each of the dice up to one time each?

Last edited by Spiku on Mon 17 Oct 2011 - 7:50; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mephysto
Veteran
Veteran
Mephysto

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Re-roll during exploration phase (Edit: and casting spells!)   Re-roll during exploration phase (Edit: and casting spells!) Icon_minitimeMon 17 Oct 2011 - 2:05

By no means a silly question, but one that can be answered quite definitely. Smile

Living Rule Book, p. 5 wrote:
If you are given the opportunity to re-roll a dice roll, you must accept the second score, even if it’s worse than the original.
Even if this is not mentioned explicitly in every case of an item that grants a re-roll, it is not explicitly overridden, either, so the rule stands.

And:
Mordheim FAQ, p. 8 wrote:
Q. The “Master Map” result of the Mordheim Map item gives a permanent re-roll in exploration, but unlike the other results does not say, “the re-roll may not be rerolled”.
Is this a deliberate exception to the normal convention that a re-roll may not be re-rolled, or an omission?
A. You may never re-roll a re-roll under any circumstances.

Q. The Wyrdstone Pendulum item from the Opulent Goods article also does not mention a restriction on re-rolling re-rolls. Should this be the case?
A. See above.
Back to top Go down
whiskeytango
Warlord
Warlord
whiskeytango

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: Re-roll during exploration phase (Edit: and casting spells!)   Re-roll during exploration phase (Edit: and casting spells!) Icon_minitimeMon 17 Oct 2011 - 2:10

Yeah. You can never re-roll a re-roll, at least that's how any group I've ever been in understood it

Whoops, meph beat me to it. His answer is certainly more definitive as well
Back to top Go down
Spiku
Warrior
Warrior
Spiku

PostSubject: Re: Re-roll during exploration phase (Edit: and casting spells!)   Re-roll during exploration phase (Edit: and casting spells!) Icon_minitimeMon 17 Oct 2011 - 2:10

I very much suspected that would be the case! Thank you muchly! I'm trying to work out what "free" acadmeic skill to take from rolling 4x2 in an Empire in Flames scenario. Given it's my sorcerer it probably -should- be sorcery, but I thought I'd see if I should get the hunter skill
Back to top Go down
Dribble Joy
Veteran
Veteran
Dribble Joy

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Re-roll during exploration phase (Edit: and casting spells!)   Re-roll during exploration phase (Edit: and casting spells!) Icon_minitimeMon 17 Oct 2011 - 10:41

In pretty much all game systems I have encountered, and especially GW's, under no circumstances can a re-roll be re-rolled.

It even applies if a rule forces the re-roll of successes that can be re-rolled.

For example, you have two attacks (hitting on 4+ for example), you can re-roll to hit and some effect forces the re-roll of hits.

You roll a 3 and a 5.

You re-roll the fail (3) by your ability to re-roll to hit and score a 4, the re-roll of successful hits cannot apply, so this result stands.

You re-roll the hit (5) by the effect forcing successful hits and score a 2, your ability to re-roll to hit cannot apply, so this result stands.

Both rules are applied equally, no re-rolls are re-rolled and the rules do what they should, and cancel each other out (statistically).
Back to top Go down
RationalLemming
Etheral
Etheral
RationalLemming

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

PostSubject: Re: Re-roll during exploration phase (Edit: and casting spells!)   Re-roll during exploration phase (Edit: and casting spells!) Icon_minitimeMon 17 Oct 2011 - 12:20

Welcome to the forum! Very Happy

As already mentioned, option A that you listed is the correct way to play.
Back to top Go down
http://sites.google.com/site/ourhouserules/mordheim
Spiku
Warrior
Warrior
Spiku

PostSubject: Re: Re-roll during exploration phase (Edit: and casting spells!)   Re-roll during exploration phase (Edit: and casting spells!) Icon_minitimeMon 17 Oct 2011 - 19:18

Thanks for the welcome ;3

The edit-in, to which you are the first to respond to directly, was thrown in because I was unsure if it would count as a new difficulty roll; say like how a rapier lets you attack again.

Looks like I may well just take sorcery and the familiar, 1st skill so complicated to decide =D
Back to top Go down
Lord 0
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Lord 0

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Re-roll during exploration phase (Edit: and casting spells!)   Re-roll during exploration phase (Edit: and casting spells!) Icon_minitimeMon 17 Oct 2011 - 19:20

Remember that rerolls past the 7th are still useful in exploration. There are rolls to see how many crossbows you get that can be re-rolled, toughness tests to see if you make it through the well, rolling on what kind of loot or what artifact you get etc. All of this is in the exploration phase and so can be re-rolled with an exploration re-roll.
Back to top Go down
Spiku
Warrior
Warrior
Spiku

PostSubject: Re: Re-roll during exploration phase (Edit: and casting spells!)   Re-roll during exploration phase (Edit: and casting spells!) Icon_minitimeMon 17 Oct 2011 - 20:49

Now that is well worth knowing! So every re-roll not used on the exploration dice themselves can be used on exploration results, that's definately going to encourage conservative re-rolls
Back to top Go down
Saranor
Warlord
Warlord
Saranor

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Shadow Warriors (Unofficial) Shadow Warriors (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Re-roll during exploration phase (Edit: and casting spells!)   Re-roll during exploration phase (Edit: and casting spells!) Icon_minitimeMon 17 Oct 2011 - 22:17

Regarding the Familiar and the Mind-Focus:

we played it this way:
You can't use the familiar after the mind Focus, because the roll is partly rerolled. The same for mind-Focus after familiar.
But you can have both:
If you roll 2-2 you use the familiar, if you have 1-6 you use the mind Focus.

This way you can choose the skill that fits better the situation.

----------

Regarding Rerolls for the post-Game sequence.

If you have 6 heroes, and 12 rerolls:
normaly you roll 6 dices and you can reroll all 6 once. The other 6 rerolls are discarded.

But if you have found previously a straggler (gives you one dice more) you can use one reroll for this additional dice.
The same if you have won a game or get otherwise another dice.

Example:
6 heroes, win, straggler, beggar, 12 rerolls:
9 dices, you can reroll all 9 dices !!
Back to top Go down
mweaver
Etheral
Etheral
mweaver

PostSubject: Re: Re-roll during exploration phase (Edit: and casting spells!)   Re-roll during exploration phase (Edit: and casting spells!) Icon_minitimeTue 18 Oct 2011 - 8:51

Lord O: "Remember that rerolls past the 7th are still useful in exploration. There are rolls to see how many crossbows you get that can be re-rolled, toughness tests to see if you make it through the well, rolling on what kind of loot or what artifact you get etc. All of this is in the exploration phase and so can be re-rolled with an exploration re-roll."

Cool. Hadn't thought about that, before.
Back to top Go down
Spiku
Warrior
Warrior
Spiku

PostSubject: Re: Re-roll during exploration phase (Edit: and casting spells!)   Re-roll during exploration phase (Edit: and casting spells!) Icon_minitimeTue 18 Oct 2011 - 9:02

Shame Wyrdstone Hunter specifically says rolls for the Exploration Chart; but everything else is golden =D

What methods can you get re-rolls with then other than rabbit's foot and that pendulum?
Back to top Go down
mweaver
Etheral
Etheral
mweaver

PostSubject: Re: Re-roll during exploration phase (Edit: and casting spells!)   Re-roll during exploration phase (Edit: and casting spells!) Icon_minitimeTue 18 Oct 2011 - 9:47

"Tarot Cards: A Hero with a deck of tarot cards may consult them before each game. Make a Leadership test. If successful, the Hero gains a favourable insight into the future and you may modify the result of any one dice in the Exploration phase by -1/+1 (even if the Hero with
the cards is taken out of action). If the Leadership test is failed by three or more (ie, a Hero with Ld of 8 rolls 11 or 12) the cards show a portent of doom and despair and the Hero refuses to fight in the following battle and must miss the next game."
Back to top Go down
Lord 0
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Lord 0

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Re-roll during exploration phase (Edit: and casting spells!)   Re-roll during exploration phase (Edit: and casting spells!) Icon_minitimeTue 18 Oct 2011 - 19:44

Spiku wrote:
Shame Wyrdstone Hunter specifically says rolls for the Exploration Chart; but everything else is golden =D

What methods can you get re-rolls with then other than rabbit's foot and that pendulum?
A reroll from the skill on the chart frees up a reroll from another source to be used on the rest of the table though so it is still just as useful. Also, you always get it even after hard-fought games where you had to burn all of your rabbits' feet rerolls and so forth and roll poo for your LD checks and so forth.

Mordheim maps will grant you rerolls depending on their quality and finding the catacombs will also grant you a reroll. Those are all I can remember off the top of my head that aren't already mentioned.

Tarot cards are great — one of the significant factors in curbing mid to late game expansion by the Skaven.
Back to top Go down
Spiku
Warrior
Warrior
Spiku

PostSubject: Re: Re-roll during exploration phase (Edit: and casting spells!)   Re-roll during exploration phase (Edit: and casting spells!) Icon_minitimeTue 18 Oct 2011 - 21:13

I'm playing skaven, currently getting things like the lucky charms and stuff, just had to buy fighting claws for my sorcerer.

Will probably try and buy these expensive things before buying more verminkin just so I can improve my chances of finding loot; I got some swords,halberds and handguns at one point, and my sorc has a free acadmeic skill I'm still deciding on; probably going to be wyrdstone hunter or sorcery
Back to top Go down
Schoel
Knight
Knight
Schoel

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven

PostSubject: Re: Re-roll during exploration phase (Edit: and casting spells!)   Re-roll during exploration phase (Edit: and casting spells!) Icon_minitimeWed 19 Oct 2011 - 5:44

Saranor wrote:
Regarding the Familiar and the Mind-Focus:

we played it this way:
You can't use the familiar after the mind Focus, because the roll is partly rerolled. The same for mind-Focus after familiar.
But you can have both:
If you roll 2-2 you use the familiar, if you have 1-6 you use the mind Focus.

This way you can choose the skill that fits better the situation.

This is the way we play it too. Not sure if that is what you mean by option A.
Back to top Go down
werekin
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
werekin

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Norse (Unofficial) Norse (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Re-roll during exploration phase (Edit: and casting spells!)   Re-roll during exploration phase (Edit: and casting spells!) Icon_minitimeSat 19 Nov 2011 - 7:51

Satchel of Maps from BTB is another. Wink

A couple of the guys in my Marienburg campaign were visiting an old thread here this week;
https://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/t2259-rabbits-foot

This was because of Witch Hunters using a Rabbits Foot to prevent their rout. After reading the comments the Hunter Captain happily retracted his inappropriate use of the item and has routed.

Lord 0 made some interesting and useful comments for player reference after the thread wandered down the Exploration road. I had wondered what he was doing with all those bonus re-rolls being accrued, as I seemed to recall that stacking re-rolls on top of re-rolls was not permitted following Town Cryer FAQ's.

Satchel of Maps was included in BTB was because of the integrated story. The traditional Exploration Charts could be considered as more directed towards earning trappings and gold. In an integrated campaign you want to promote successful exploration. That said you can't just give top quality cartography away to everyone. And as useful as it would be in a story to let players re-roll their results over and over until they strike a result that pushes the story onwards there needs to be productive means to achieve this.

I like the idea of a Star-chart. study
Back to top Go down
https://libermalefic.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Re-roll during exploration phase (Edit: and casting spells!)   Re-roll during exploration phase (Edit: and casting spells!) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Re-roll during exploration phase (Edit: and casting spells!)
Page 1 of 1