Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Need an answer for a quick question!

Go down 
+2
Moffe
Evilmarmot
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Evilmarmot
Warrior
Warrior
Evilmarmot

Trading Reputation : 0

Need an answer for a quick question! Empty
PostSubject: Need an answer for a quick question!   Need an answer for a quick question! Icon_minitimeFri 2 Sep 2011 - 21:53

Hey guys and gals.
yesterday i wrote a skaven warband and played my first game using skaven,
Right now i'm proxing my skaven warband with dwarves.
And i will buy a box of night runners and stormvermin (To convert the skaven so they look bigger and to convert heroes)
and i wonder does the stormvermin heads fit for night runners or are they too big?
And if they are too big what should i buy instead?
Thx in advance //Evilmarmot//
Back to top Go down
Moffe
Captain
Captain
Moffe

PostSubject: Re: Need an answer for a quick question!   Need an answer for a quick question! Icon_minitimeFri 2 Sep 2011 - 23:26

sorry to go off topic (i have no idea how the skaven models fit together) but just for the record, marmot does not mean bäver. it means murmeldjur.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marmot

sorry for being a bitch Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Evilmarmot
Warrior
Warrior
Evilmarmot

PostSubject: Re: Need an answer for a quick question!   Need an answer for a quick question! Icon_minitimeSat 3 Sep 2011 - 9:32

I know that it's not beaver But i Play counterstrike and there i have a friend called "The intelligent marmot" And he hates when you call marmots for beavers. So i made the picture just to annoy him Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Need an answer for a quick question!   Need an answer for a quick question! Icon_minitimeSat 3 Sep 2011 - 13:09

Unfortunately the Night Runners and the Storm Vermin are from different editions of Warhammer (Night Runners really being from the Mordheim range to boot). The Storm Vermin heads may actually be smaller than the Night Runners since Skaven have shrunk over the last 10 yrs.
Back to top Go down
5pointer
Elder
Elder
5pointer

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

PostSubject: Re: Need an answer for a quick question!   Need an answer for a quick question! Icon_minitimeSat 3 Sep 2011 - 17:51

Yep, the newer Skaven plastics don't work much (if at all) with the older stuff. Which wouldn't be a problem if they'd do a new style box of Eshin Skaven...
Back to top Go down
Evilmarmot
Warrior
Warrior
Evilmarmot

PostSubject: Re: Need an answer for a quick question!   Need an answer for a quick question! Icon_minitimeSat 3 Sep 2011 - 21:33

Aaah cripes...
How am i'm then supposed to convert every miniature in the warband so they look bigger and "Bulkier" xD
Any tips or ideas? Greenstuffing maybe?
Back to top Go down
Zekk
Veteran
Veteran
Zekk

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead

PostSubject: Re: Need an answer for a quick question!   Need an answer for a quick question! Icon_minitimeWed 7 Sep 2011 - 17:15

the heads may not be compatible, but the sizes are still close enough. I had a mix of Clan Rats and the mordheim skaven sprue in my warband. worked out just fine. although I tend to avoid the older style skaven models unless I want to convert them into some sick pose. the newwer models I find are harder to work with.
Back to top Go down
Grimscull
Etheral
Etheral
Grimscull

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Need an answer for a quick question!   Need an answer for a quick question! Icon_minitimeWed 7 Sep 2011 - 18:43

I am a little surprised about some of the answers here, because they differ from my experiences:

With the NEW armybook, which came out around 8th edition, GW released new clanrat- and stormverminmodels. All rather tall and not so many poses. What they kept is the old nightrunner-models, which are small and multipose. These nightrunners are the same models that were produced for mordheim as clan eshin warband.
In the LAST rulebook, (6th and 7th edition) they had the small, multipose nightrunners and small, multipose clanrats plus bigger, metallic singlepose stormvermin.
The multipose clanrats and nightrunners work great together. The nightrunnermodels are in part only remodelled clanrats, actually. There is tons of equipment, different heads, arms etc. What they lack is size. They are definitely not big and if you want to use some of the charactermodels, which are big, they are just going to look silly among the plastic models.
So if you want many great poses and equipment, get some nightrunners and maybe some old clanrats off of ebay. Convert chars using capes maybe, or torsi with armor. If you want bulky, get the new clanrats and maybe stormvermin. What shouldn't work is a combination of nightrunners and new clanrats/stormvermin. I saw a conversion once, and it didn't feel right at all.
Back to top Go down
5pointer
Elder
Elder
5pointer

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Need an answer for a quick question!   Need an answer for a quick question! Icon_minitimeWed 7 Sep 2011 - 19:52

So, we are in agreement then Grimscull - either one or the other is best; mixing models from different editions for Skaven is not something that can be easily achieved (if at all in my opinion).

For example I have a Clan Eshin warband with models from the Mordheim box (with an old metal Assassin and Rat Ogre) and a Clan Mors warband using models from IoB (and some single new Stormvermin bought off blackdagger on ebay). They don't look good next to each other at all, but with their own contemperaries each edition looks just fine.

Back to top Go down
Zekk
Veteran
Veteran
Zekk

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Need an answer for a quick question!   Need an answer for a quick question! Icon_minitimeWed 7 Sep 2011 - 19:55

Id almost agree. They CAN look good together, if you mix them properly. ie: a hero clanrat, witha leader night runner, and another hero ... say... Queek. ... those three would look silly.

but if all your heroes were based on the stormvermin and new clanrat line, while your clan rats based on the night runner package... that would look a bit more proper. painting techniques would also help with this.
Back to top Go down
5pointer
Elder
Elder
5pointer

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Need an answer for a quick question!   Need an answer for a quick question! Icon_minitimeWed 7 Sep 2011 - 20:17

The main problems I have are the faces/heads are completely different, the clothing styles are way different and the body types are quite different too. It'd be like putting the first old skool Orcs in with the new 'gorilla' sculpts, or current edition Dwarfs with Marauder minis, the effect is just jarring. Either can look good on its own, but together they just don't sit right.

I also don't see how it's possible to make a Stormvermin look like he belongs in a Clan Eshin warband at all, without some ridiculous amount of GS that means you might as well have sculpted him from scratch anyway.

Now, if someone can show me pictures that prove (to me) that the styles can gel effectively into a cohesive looking warband, then I'll gladly offer kudos for achieving what I think is virtually impossible...
Back to top Go down
Zekk
Veteran
Veteran
Zekk

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Need an answer for a quick question!   Need an answer for a quick question! Icon_minitimeWed 7 Sep 2011 - 20:19

if i had pics I would post them! gotta find them skaven models first. oi.
but dont forget, this is mordheim, not warhammer. Uniformity is important, but not an all out necessity. If all models looked the same, it would remove the unique role playing nature of the game.
Back to top Go down
5pointer
Elder
Elder
5pointer

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Need an answer for a quick question!   Need an answer for a quick question! Icon_minitimeWed 7 Sep 2011 - 20:35

True, but looking like completely different species of ratman kinda ruins the 'warband' concept for me, they have to look like they belong together otherwise I can't 'buy into' them being a collection of skaven sneaky pseudo-ninja.

I mean, if it looks like one of them brought inbred cousin Mungo along for the journey it's just not gonna let me take them seriously. Unless that is the fluff behind the warband... hmmm... that would certainly be different.

Back to top Go down
Zekk
Veteran
Veteran
Zekk

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Need an answer for a quick question!   Need an answer for a quick question! Icon_minitimeWed 7 Sep 2011 - 20:36

well, i dont know a LOT about skaven, but im sure theres different castes of rats. the black rats, the normal ones. the lesser rats.. i dunno. Im a 40k player, not a FB player! Its like in the movie Predators! Big predators and little predators. lol
ahhh that would be a fun model to try and sculpt.
Back to top Go down
5pointer
Elder
Elder
5pointer

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Need an answer for a quick question!   Need an answer for a quick question! Icon_minitimeWed 7 Sep 2011 - 20:42

lol fair enough, I can accept size differences - it's the fact they look completely different facially and physically (the way the models are posed etc) that messes it up for me.

To put it 40k style, it's like sticking a RTB01 beaky next to a new SM sculpt. Apart they both have charm, together there is something that doesn't look quite right.

PS if you do get a pic of your skaven up I'll be the first to admit it if you've pulled it off to my particular warped hobby-eye! Might even inspire me for another ratty warband of my own Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need an answer for a quick question!   Need an answer for a quick question! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Need an answer for a quick question!
Page 1 of 1