HomeFAQSearchRegisterUsergroupsBlogLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Share | 

A first campaign with a first warband

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Repeter
Hero
Hero

Trading Reputation : 0

PostSubject: A first campaign with a first warband   Wed 31 Aug 2011 - 20:47

I am a new Mordheim player, navigating my first warband through the depths of my first campaign. I’ve come into the campaign late and have so far faced opponents with more experience than me (although, not always a better WB rating). Since the advice offered up on this site has been so good, I have returned for more. I’d like to keep a running blog of my warband’s progress and hopefully glean some more useful nuggets from the vets here. I’ll apologize in advance for the wordiness of such an endeavor.

Following a quick rundown of my warband’s progress through their first three encounters, I will list some questions and ideas I have for future encounters. After this weekend, where I should get some copius painting time, I promise to start putting up pics with the battle reports.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Repeter
Hero
Hero

PostSubject: Re: A first campaign with a first warband   Wed 31 Aug 2011 - 20:47

Game one (last week):
Starting line-up:
Captain Amerigo: 2x Dueling pistols, sword
Champ Jackie B: Dueling pistol, sword
Champ Antony S: Dueling pistol, sword
Y’blood Bucky: Club, dagger
Y’blood Franklin R: Club, dagger
Swordsmen x2: Sword, dagger
Marksmen x2: X-bow, club, dagger
Marksman: Longbow, dagger
Marksman: Blunderbuss, dagger

During my first foray into Mordheim, my band resoundingly beat up another Marienburger warband that had just started. I think it had three encounters, but its rating wasn’t high enough to gain extra experience. It was built very differently than my Marienburgers, as it had way less henchmen and a Hochland hunting rifle.

We played a straight skirmish on a heavily ruinous board. I was able to deny the Hochland rifle any LOS on a critical turn two. My team was well positioned for turn three, wherein my lads caused three casualties (one was the opposing captain!). The highpoints included one of my Youngbloods, Bucky, taking out an opposing Youngblood, my Blunderbuss suprising my opponent (apparently they don’t use a lot of them locally—ha ha on them!), having all my dudes survive the battle, and finding an overturned cart for some extra gold.

After this game, I came to Tom’s boring site for advice. I ended up buying a couple swords for my swordsmen and a Lucky Charm for my captain.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Repeter
Hero
Hero

PostSubject: Re: A first campaign with a first warband   Wed 31 Aug 2011 - 20:48

Game two:
Starting line-up: Same as game one, with the mentioned weapon/equipment additions.

I felt bad about this game before it even started. The guy only had four warriors—two heroes and two henchmen. His rating, however, wasn’t quite 50pts below me, as his members had been fighting for a while. I offered to give him the extra experience, as he was only six points short of 50 below me, but he graciously declined and mumbled something about “prolly gonna start a new warband anyway…”.

We rolled for ‘Skirmish’ and we played in the midst of a ruined cemetery (featuring the new Garden of Morr in the middle of the table!!). With my opponent’s very low model count, I didn’t lose a man again. He failed his rout test at the top of turn three and we counted up the loot. I ended up finding a jeweled sword and dagger, my Champ, Jackie B, had a running pistol shot turn critical and got some extra experience. He and my Captain both leveled up but both rolled for a boost to Initiative—yuck. However, my Youngblood got a new skill and my henchmen all rolled well: Swordsmen gained an extra attack, and all my marksmen rolled for a boost to their BS. Plus, I made a bunch more coin, so I was pretty happy.

Another player (the same Marienburger player from game one—but with four more games under him) wanted to get a game in with me, so I had to make some fast decisions. I had been playing with some bits the other evening and had made an Ogre B’guard and a converted Pit Fighter. Since the Pit Fighter was cheaper, I decided to add him (I didn’t have any other models built to add them!). I also bought a Rabbit’s Foot for a champ (as thanks for his performance the prior game) and gave the jeweled sword to my Captain. Finally, I bought my Y’blood a Blunderbuss after giving him Weapons Training (whichever is the shooting skill). In the end, I saved about 60 crowns in the bank.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Repeter
Hero
Hero

PostSubject: Re: A first campaign with a first warband   Wed 31 Aug 2011 - 20:48

Game three:

With a new warrior under their yoke, and some new weapon/equipment loadouts, I rolled for scenario (his rating was about 20pts higher than mine). We got Breakthrough, and I chose to defend. This seemed easier than attacking, and since I am still quite in the learning phase, I am being a little cautious.

He set up first, with most of his warband in the center. It now included an Ogre bodyguard. A X-bowman set up in elevated terrain on one flank, and his Marksman-turned-hero (with the Hochland hunting rifle, which he could now fire every turn) set up on top of a three-story tower on the other flank. This was a problem, since he could pretty much see everywhere on the board. I set most of my warband near the center of the board, looking to create layers for my opponent to fight through if he wanted to get to the other side. I also set up my two Blunderbussers, the youngblood, Bucky and his pal Curly Tinhat near enough but out of sight to the enemy sniper.

I swear this to be the truth: My warband again didn’t lose a man. While some of this can be chalked up to opponent’s damage rolls (sorry, Mike!), there were some other highlights: After the enemy sniper failed to wound my Captain, he was brought down by the first blunderbuss shot. Bucky’s blunderbuss then put two wounds on the ogre. Captain Amerigo was too happy to finish off the nasty thing. After that, a hail of bullets and arrows brought down three more enemy warriors. I did have some knockdowns and my captain will be looking for another Lucky Charm, but the lads came through well again. The real craziness, however, came in the exploration phase.

Using the Rabbit’s Foot, I rolled three 6s in the exploration phase and now have an Ogre bodyguard looking after my lads. Woot! I feel it was fate, as I had just built him. I also rolled another two 5s and got a couple crowns from an overturned cart. With the high wyrdstone roll, my lads have some loot, and some decisions to make.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Repeter
Hero
Hero

Here are my Marienburgers’ stats at this point:

Rating: 189
Bank: 158 crowns
Shards: 1

Captain Amerigo: Brace of dueling pistols, 2x swords, helmet
Jackie B, champ: Dueling pistol, sword, dagger, rabbit’s foot (are these one-time use?)
Antony S, champ: Dueling pistol, sword, dagger—needs to choose a skill
Bucky, y’blood: Blunderbuss, dagger, hammer
Franklin, y’blood: Dagger, hammer—needs to choose a skill
2x Swordsmen: Swords x2 (two attacks—how does this work—three attacks per H2H?
2x Marksmen: X-bow, hammer, dagger (BS 4)
Marksman: Blunderbuss, dagger x2 (one is the jeweled find—another gift for performance)
Marksman: Longbow, dagger (BS 4)
Ogre bodyguard: need to decide which loadout to take
Pit Fighter: about to level up if he lives through the next encounter

Queries, ideas and trepidations:
1. I was thinking of taking Pistolier on Antony and giving him Jackie’s other dueling pistol. Double pistol shots is a scary thing. Of course, I’d have to re-arm Jackie on the cheap (which any Marienburger champ would be loathe to do)—probably a bow and a second melee weapon?
2. The blunderbuss on my Y’blood seems cool, because it offsets the way low BS, so I was thinking of giving my other Y’blood the same skill and loadout. Is this over kill? Again, I’d have to re-arm the marksman (I was looking to use his higher BS 4).
3. I would also like to add to the Longbow, X-bow and Swordsmen groups--they all got pretty good stat increases. Thoughts?
4. I need more Lucky Charms. Nuff said.
5. Are two hired swords too much for a young warband to handle? I came across them both without much thought, but now that they are in my warband, I want to keep them…

I am sure I will come up with more newb questions and worries, so as always, thanks for any help.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
qboid
Elder
Elder

PostSubject: Re: A first campaign with a first warband   Thu 1 Sep 2011 - 10:07

If it was me, i would be thinking "Great start, but im going to get kicked in the nuts soon!"

I would be expecting to lose 5 models in the next game, and would want to keep some cash in the bank to replace them.
But, the Ogre is a great thing to have, and an experienced Pit Fighter cant be sniffed at.

You have some tough choices to make. Good luck!

ps- Rabbits Foot can be used once per game, or once per exploration phase, but don't get consumed by use, so are there for the next game. Like Lucky Charms. That's how we use them anyway.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vagabond
Ancient
Ancient

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: A first campaign with a first warband   Thu 1 Sep 2011 - 13:03

Repeter wrote:
Game three:
...Using the Rabbit’s Foot, I rolled three 6s in the exploration phase and now have an Ogre bodyguard looking after my lads. Woot! I feel it was fate, as I had just built him. I also rolled another two 5s and got a couple crowns from an overturned cart...

I don't understand how did you roll twice in the exploration phase? Did I miss something...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alex
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Merchants (BTB) Merchants (BTB)

PostSubject: Re: A first campaign with a first warband   Thu 1 Sep 2011 - 14:34

great to see that people are sll finding there way to mordheim after all this time. Keep it up!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Repeter
Hero
Hero

PostSubject: Re: A first campaign with a first warband   Thu 1 Sep 2011 - 17:00

Thanks for reading folks.

@qboid: I fully expect to get my ass handed to me each time my warband takes the field. In fact, if one were to go with just the odds, my guys should've suffered some casualties by now. I have seen a lot of 1s and 2s rolled while opponents have tried to damage my lads. I will heed your advice, however, and save a good chunk of money to replace any fallen.

@Vagabond: Sorry, I am not always very clear. Here is the sequence of events: I rolled 6,6,5,5,4,1. I then used the Rabbit's Foot and re-rolled the 1 for another 6. I don't know if it is a house rule, but my group gets all the triples and doubles they roll in the exploration phase, so I ended up getting Chance Encounter and the Overturned Cart.

@Alex: I can't even begin to understand how Mordheim has flown under my radar for so long. I have always avoided WHFB and 40K (I like skirmish games), so I never gave their smaller games a look.

I have two buddies building their first warbands right now because of all the yapping I've been doing about it. I think what I like best about this game is that it is really only supported by the gaming community. If one wants to play Mordheim, they have to seek it out. It requires the dedication of the truly interested. The folks at the LGS who play have all been into it for years, unbeknownst to me.

I could wax on this subject forever. Mordheim requires total hobby immersion. Conversions, terrain, campaigns, etc. Hell, it's pretty easy on the wallet too. There is no endless release schedule, but their are endless possibilities.

Ok, I've gushed off-topic for long enough--I apologize...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vagabond
Ancient
Ancient

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: A first campaign with a first warband   Fri 2 Sep 2011 - 1:29

Definitely a house rule! Smile When you roll for exploration you only choose the highest numbers, so if you rolled 6,6,5,5,4,1 and then you used Rabbit's foot and got 6 you "found" Ogre. But never mind, just enjoy the game and have fun... Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ordo Septenarius
Warlord
Warlord

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: A first campaign with a first warband   Fri 2 Sep 2011 - 9:58

I kinda like that house rule!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
luckyjoe
General
General

PostSubject: Re: A first campaign with a first warband   Fri 2 Sep 2011 - 11:26

This is a great thread. I'm enjoying following your warband's progress. I've been considering adding in a Blunderbuss, and it sounds like they are totally worth it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Drayven
Knight
Knight

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Beastmen (EIF) Beastmen (EIF)

PostSubject: Re: A first campaign with a first warband   Fri 2 Sep 2011 - 14:08

Vagabond wrote:
Definitely a house rule! Smile When you roll for exploration you only choose the highest numbers, so if you rolled 6,6,5,5,4,1 and then you used Rabbit's foot and got 6 you "found" Ogre. But never mind, just enjoy the game and have fun... Smile

I'm pretty sure you can actually choose which of the things you get when you have more than one. So you could choose to use the double 5's OR the triple 6's it doesn't have to be the highest one it just happens that usually the higher one is a better choice. I like the idea of house ruling that you get the rewards for all doubles/triples, just wanted to clarify what I think it says in the rule book Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vagabond
Ancient
Ancient

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: A first campaign with a first warband   Fri 2 Sep 2011 - 15:27

From the rulebook:
...For example, you might roll two 3’s or three 5’s, in
which case you should refer to the chart. Choose the
most numerous multiples if you score more than one
set of multiples. So, if you rolled a double 3 and a
triple 5, only look up the triple 5 on the Exploration
chart. In the case of two doubles or triples look up the
highest result. For example, if you rolled double 1
and double 3, look up the double 3 result...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kidterminal
Veteran
Veteran

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead

PostSubject: Re: A first campaign with a first warband   Thu 8 Dec 2011 - 1:28

This is a nice thread I hope it won't get bogged down with a rules discussion. There are other threads for that. I'm glad you're doing so well Repeter. Good luck in your next fight.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A first campaign with a first warband   Today at 17:53

Back to top Go down

A first campaign with a first warband
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1