Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Equipment swap before upcomming battle

Go down 
+3
Saranor
Paboook
Zero2Hero-DK
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Zero2Hero-DK
General
General
Zero2Hero-DK

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Restless Dead (BTB) Restless Dead (BTB)
Achievements earned: none

Equipment swap before upcomming battle Empty
PostSubject: Equipment swap before upcomming battle   Equipment swap before upcomming battle Icon_minitimeWed 31 Aug 2011 - 11:48

Hey everyone,
We, in my Mordheim gaming community, have a question regarding equipment swap inbetween battles, and especially when a battle has just been arranged between two warbands.

The ruling says that equipment is interchangeable between warband members and the warband stash post-battle. Though some equipment/items has to be used prior to the start of the game, such as bugman ale, appliance of poisons, ect., what about equipping garlic just before a battle - is this legal?

We had quite an disagreement, in the group regarding stashed equipment hence to this ruling. If it is possible to equip your members with garlic, popping a keg of bugmans ale ect. just before the battle, then you could always stash up on these kind of one-use-equipment, and use it just before encountering, say an undead warband with huge benefits when you do know which warband you are about to face.

Fluff wise I would say this is something which is done in the encampment, before ventureing into Mordheim for yet another exploration of desolate areas in the search for wyrdstone, regardless of which warband one might encounter.

I hope you understand where I'm comming from with this, and made the problem statement clear (English is not my native language) and plead for some clarification in this matter :-)

All the best, and looking forwards to some responses cheers
Kind regards
Zero2Hero-DK
Back to top Go down
http://Zero2Hero.tabletopgeeks.com
Paboook
Warlord
Warlord
Paboook

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: Equipment swap before upcomming battle   Equipment swap before upcomming battle Icon_minitimeWed 31 Aug 2011 - 12:09

I believe that swapping of equipment or drinking beer is something you can always do just before the game starts. But buying any stuff is a different issue, and to buy some garlic is IMHO the same as to buy weapons Surprised
Back to top Go down
Saranor
Warlord
Warlord
Saranor

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Shadow Warriors (Unofficial) Shadow Warriors (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Equipment swap before upcomming battle   Equipment swap before upcomming battle Icon_minitimeWed 31 Aug 2011 - 12:12

I like to swap some items before the game.

For example, if i have a vial of poison i don't want to use it, if i am up against undead, because most of them are immun and i want to safe it for a better occassion and put it in the stash.

But on the other hand, you can say, you have to give it someone, so he has it with him, in preparation of the fight, but you don't have to use it.
For example you can give the poison a warband member before the game, but he has to decide before the battle starts, if he wants to use it...
The Downside is, if this warband member is put OOA and dies or get robbed, the item is gone too.

i would declare garlic the same way. Normaly you have it wrapped in a towel or in a small chest to keep it fresh, if a fight starts, you can put it out and use it around your neck, but if you don't do this, you can use it another time...

--------------------
I prefer the first thing, that you can give items from the stash before the battle to warband members after your enemy is decided (perhaps even after the szenario is decided). This way you don't get confused between used/activatet items and just stashed items.
Back to top Go down
Lord 0
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Lord 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Equipment swap before upcomming battle   Equipment swap before upcomming battle Icon_minitimeWed 31 Aug 2011 - 12:30

If you have a houserule that puts in step 9.5 Decide next opponent, then yes, it is legal to change your gear like garlic and so forth before the next battle. If you are deciding who you are going to fight after updating your warband, then no, it is not legal.

1 Injuries.
2 Allocate experience.
3 Roll on the Exploration chart.
4 Sell Wyrdstone.
5 Check available veterans.
6 Make rarity rolls and buy rare items.
7 Look for Dramatis Personae.
8 Hire new recruits & buy common items.
9 Reallocate equipment.
10 Update your warband rating.

Back to top Go down
RationalLemming
Etheral
Etheral
RationalLemming

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

PostSubject: Re: Equipment swap before upcomming battle   Equipment swap before upcomming battle Icon_minitimeWed 31 Aug 2011 - 13:20

Officially you cannot swap equipment after choosing opponents. It is something that you could house rule as Lord 0 mentioned if that makes it more fun for your group. Not being able to swap does make it hard for using some equipment like poison when there is an undead warband as Saranor mentioned but maybe that is part of the harsh gambles you need to make in a harsh world.
Back to top Go down
http://sites.google.com/site/ourhouserules/mordheim
Paboook
Warlord
Warlord
Paboook

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: Equipment swap before upcomming battle   Equipment swap before upcomming battle Icon_minitimeWed 31 Aug 2011 - 14:12

Lord 0 wrote:

1 Injuries.
2 Allocate experience.
4 Sell Wyrdstone.
9 Reallocate equipment.

Sorry for the confusion. I guess I should read the basic rules again after all these years Smile
Back to top Go down
Drayven
Knight
Knight
Drayven

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Beastmen (EIF) Beastmen (EIF)

PostSubject: Re: Equipment swap before upcomming battle   Equipment swap before upcomming battle Icon_minitimeWed 31 Aug 2011 - 16:13

So it looks like as long as you don't update your warband rating until the match starts you're ok to switch equipment Wink Personally I think it's ok to swap out items when you find out who you're fighting against. You can justify it by saying the warbands have scouts out and about and if you're getting reports of heavy undead in the area you might slap on some garlic. If you went with that justification though you'd probably have to go a step further and any of the scenarios where you are caught by surprise you can't make changes.
Back to top Go down
Zero2Hero-DK
General
General
Zero2Hero-DK

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Equipment swap before upcomming battle   Equipment swap before upcomming battle Icon_minitimeWed 31 Aug 2011 - 16:16

Thank you all for your thoughts on this matter, really appreciated!!

Saranor wrote:
I like to swap some items before the game.

For example, if i have a vial of poison i don't want to use it, if i am up against undead, because most of them are immun and i want to safe it for a better occassion and put it in the stash.

But on the other hand, you can say, you have to give it someone, so he has it with him, in preparation of the fight, but you don't have to use it.
For example you can give the poison a warband member before the game, but he has to decide before the battle starts, if he wants to use it...
The Downside is, if this warband member is put OOA and dies or get robbed, the item is gone too.

i would declare garlic the same way. Normaly you have it wrapped in a towel or in a small chest to keep it fresh, if a fight starts, you can put it out and use it around your neck, but if you don't do this, you can use it another time...

--------------------
I prefer the first thing, that you can give items from the stash before the battle to warband members after your enemy is decided (perhaps even after the szenario is decided). This way you don't get confused between used/activatet items and just stashed items.

I really like the idea, of actually "equipping" the warband members with poisons, and other equipment, which then can be used as "one-use-only" items, like popping an item in WoW or something like that. But I would hit someone really hard who ventured into mordheim with a giant keg of bugmans ale on the shoulder of one jolly sing mercenary youngblood, who would have to drag this keg around in combat when not popped in start of the battle. Laughing

The fact with the garlic, it should work for the battle from which it was bought for IMO. Not that I have a problem with the fact that it can be carried in a small chest kept around the neck or something as conservative, but I would have to lay down a house rule that only warbands with something special against undead warbands, say sisters of sigmar, or the witch hunters may do this, since they may have adapted some means of conservation of such artifacts used in general vampire hunts throughout the empire.

I agree with RationalLemming, that it is infact a chance encounter - and by this is meant that you'll never know, who your next opponent would be, and weather the fight would be a surprice attack, or something else to say the least. Though with another thought about the scenarios it could be allowed that the "Ambush" or "Surprice attack" or any other scenario, the attacking warband may chose to swap equipment, or pop items as they please, hence to they knowing which warband they are ambushing?
Any thoughts on this?

As for Lord 0:
Quote :
If you have a houserule that puts in step 9.5 Decide next opponent, then yes, it is legal to change your gear like garlic and so forth before the next battle. If you are deciding who you are going to fight after updating your warband, then no, it is not legal.

1 Injuries.
2 Allocate experience.
4 Sell Wyrdstone.
9 Reallocate equipment.

This was my argument of why it couldn't be possible to swap equipment before knowing which warband you would fight next...

Though I must say, this is fruit for thought for future campaigns with more specialized rules in this matter...

Back to top Go down
Zero2Hero-DK
General
General
Zero2Hero-DK

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Equipment swap before upcomming battle   Equipment swap before upcomming battle Icon_minitimeWed 31 Aug 2011 - 16:21

Drayven wrote:
So it looks like as long as you don't update your warband rating until the match starts you're ok to switch equipment Wink Personally I think it's ok to swap out items when you find out who you're fighting against. You can justify it by saying the warbands have scouts out and about and if you're getting reports of heavy undead in the area you might slap on some garlic. If you went with that justification though you'd probably have to go a step further and any of the scenarios where you are caught by surprise you can't make changes.

Yes, that could be justified indeed, but then I insist that the warbands equip their heroes with appropriate equipment before moving away from their stash ( I assume that the warband has a locked up stash in one of the encampments in the perimeter of mordheim. Actually, it is in fact these places the warband recruit their warband members, as well as trading...

It makes no sense that the warband actually packs up all of their spare equipment for each battle, not in my opinion anyway Smile
Back to top Go down
BalrogTheBuff
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
BalrogTheBuff

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Equipment swap before upcomming battle   Equipment swap before upcomming battle Icon_minitimeWed 31 Aug 2011 - 17:36

I would agree that you cannot change your gear after finding out your scenario and opponet. However certain scenarios lend themself to a prepared warband, fluff wise. For any scenario that makes sense a warband would be prepared and have planned things out I would allow a change. IE a scenario to raid an enemies camp, etc.

Also the Merchant Caravan warband would make sense to be able to swap gear around at will unless being ambushed. They carry everything in their wagon right?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Equipment swap before upcomming battle   Equipment swap before upcomming battle Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Equipment swap before upcomming battle
Page 1 of 1