Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Perry Miniatures warband.

Go down 
+3
Moffe
folketsfiende
The_Zaheer
7 posters
AuthorMessage
The_Zaheer
Youngblood
Youngblood
The_Zaheer

Trading Reputation : 0

Perry Miniatures warband. Empty
PostSubject: Perry Miniatures warband.   Perry Miniatures warband. Icon_minitimeFri 5 Aug 2011 - 1:48

Here are some rather quick adventurers/mercenaries. Using these figures was originally an economy measure, but i had a lot of fun putting these together this afternoon and have really grown to love the versatility of the kits and the character that comes across with the fact they are truescale. I'm using both Perry medieval sprues, as well as the Mahdist box (which i will use for a possessed cult) also some leftovers from the questionable Wargames Factory sprues and the surprisingly useful Bolt Action british infantry box.

The photos are terrible and really bring out all the flaws which i have yet to correct, but hopefully get the message across. I'm coming back to gaming and modelling after a hiatus so c&c is very welcome.

Fluffwise - I hope to use these as part of an 'empire' burning campaign in the border princes, Once i work on this i'd be interested in getting some c&c on that too...

Perry Miniatures warband. DSCF2211

Perry Miniatures warband. DSCF2207

Perry Miniatures warband. DSCF2204

Perry Miniatures warband. DSCF2209

These two figures are town guard, they have the lord's warrant tied around the haft of thier poleaxes as a badge of office. I'm really not that happy with the scrolls, mainly the string around the scroll. Does anyone have any better ideas as to how to do this?

Perry Miniatures warband. DSCF2199

Perry Miniatures warband. DSCF2201
Back to top Go down
folketsfiende
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
folketsfiende

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Perry Miniatures warband.   Perry Miniatures warband. Icon_minitimeFri 5 Aug 2011 - 8:56

Looks like a good start! There's quite alot of character in the models. How much customizability is there in these kits? I have no idea what to do about the scrollstring, but perhaps it can be painted to look right?
Back to top Go down
The_Zaheer
Youngblood
Youngblood
The_Zaheer

PostSubject: Re: Perry Miniatures warband.   Perry Miniatures warband. Icon_minitimeFri 5 Aug 2011 - 11:08

Well, i can't post links as i'm a new member but there are plenty of reviews on google to look at with sprue pictures etc, check 'em out!

I found them really versatile, you have to cut and reposition a lot, but it's nothing new to most people i'd imagine.One thing that is pertinent to Mordheim is that there aren't really a lot of packs or pouches, you'll have to raid the bits box. Also they look very odd when you use the 'wrong' heroic-scaled item on them, you ust have to play around until things look right.

As you said though, lots of character, perhaps becasue you 'can' see these figures as actual humans.
Back to top Go down
Moffe
Captain
Captain
Moffe

PostSubject: Re: Perry Miniatures warband.   Perry Miniatures warband. Icon_minitimeFri 5 Aug 2011 - 11:09

i like em too. how is teh scale compared to warhammer models? i see the weapons are more resonably sized (if only warhammer models had that too...) but how is teh hight compared to warhammer miniatures?
Back to top Go down
The_Zaheer
Youngblood
Youngblood
The_Zaheer

PostSubject: Re: Perry Miniatures warband.   Perry Miniatures warband. Icon_minitimeFri 5 Aug 2011 - 11:24

Well, i don't have any of the new generation of plastics, but they DO look wrong compared to the current Empire figs (if you google 'Perry WOTR size comparison' you should get the pictures you are after), because of their proportions. That said, i think they look great next to Orcs and Goblins etc, it emphasizes the fantasy element having believable human figures i think. It will be a challenge (that i'm looking forward to) to get the spirit of the warhammer world into these figures.
Back to top Go down
Captain Bernhardt
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Captain Bernhardt

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

PostSubject: Re: Perry Miniatures warband.   Perry Miniatures warband. Icon_minitimeFri 5 Aug 2011 - 12:48

Lovely! i'm a big fan of these miniatures to! I'm gonna make my spares into a reikland warband Smile

on the scroll thingy: I think it would be best if you make a roll out of green stuff, then you could compress the middle part and let it dry. When sufficiently hardenen you can then make the string and seal in the middle so it looks like your string tightens the scroll. It will make it look more realistic that way.

on the comparison part:
Perry Miniatures warband. Dscn5300

the left one is a GW sprearman with a perry head, the second in the row is a perry body with current GW state troops arms and a pistoliers head, the third one is 100% perry and the last one is 100% GW
Back to top Go down
Moffe
Captain
Captain
Moffe

PostSubject: Re: Perry Miniatures warband.   Perry Miniatures warband. Icon_minitimeFri 5 Aug 2011 - 12:59

thats absolutely brilliant tbh. if i ever feel like starting an empire army (for warhammer) ill definately buy a couple of these boxes for starters. the quality seems comparable to GW and the price is what? a third? a quarter?

two thumbs up Very Happy

ps. sorry for hijacking the thread a bit. im looking forward to see the warband painted Very Happy
Back to top Go down
shotguncoffee
Warlord
Warlord
shotguncoffee

PostSubject: Re: Perry Miniatures warband.   Perry Miniatures warband. Icon_minitimeFri 5 Aug 2011 - 18:10

cant wait to see where this is goign
Back to top Go down
Myntokk
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Myntokk

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: Perry Miniatures warband.   Perry Miniatures warband. Icon_minitimeMon 8 Aug 2011 - 20:11

Wow, I didn't realize the Perry minis were in such compatible scale with GW Warhammer figures (at least Empire, anyways) - that's awesome! I always kind of assumed that since they're historicals they'd run small, but it looks like they would fit into an Empire or Dogs of War army perfectly, or possibly even pass as Bretonnian men at arms! The Perry head on the GW body looks a little bit small, but otherwise they all match up very well.

I'd been eyeing those War of the Roses and Medieval infantry, and just may have to get some after all.
Back to top Go down
The_Zaheer
Youngblood
Youngblood
The_Zaheer

PostSubject: Re: Perry Miniatures warband.   Perry Miniatures warband. Icon_minitimeFri 19 Aug 2011 - 0:38

Ok, here are some photographs with the usual excuses (I am terrible at taking photographs, i haven't painted anything for eight years etc etc.

Perry Miniatures warband. DSCF2261

Perry Miniatures warband. DSCF2260

Perry Miniatures warband. DSCF2258

More will follow, i will try to take some better pictures, i figured it was best to post something 'the worst thing you did is better than the best thing you didn't' etc etc, hopefully it will inspire me to do a bit better!
Back to top Go down
Moffe
Captain
Captain
Moffe

PostSubject: Re: Perry Miniatures warband.   Perry Miniatures warband. Icon_minitimeFri 19 Aug 2011 - 9:28

yay! those look really great! i love the slightly more "peasant" and less "pride parade"-look of the troops compared to standard empire troops. lovely palette too imo. great work Smile

EDIT: the only thing im not crazy about are the sides of the basess. i am a traditionalist and want my base-sides in one plain color Wink
Back to top Go down
The_Zaheer
Youngblood
Youngblood
The_Zaheer

PostSubject: Re: Perry Miniatures warband.   Perry Miniatures warband. Icon_minitimeFri 19 Aug 2011 - 9:50

Hah, yes. Well they will be, not finished yet!
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Perry Miniatures warband.   Perry Miniatures warband. Icon_minitimeFri 19 Aug 2011 - 11:59

VERY NICELY DONE! I like the face on the top Archer...good shading & a fine expression. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Myntokk
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Myntokk

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: Perry Miniatures warband.   Perry Miniatures warband. Icon_minitimeSat 20 Aug 2011 - 22:53

Great looking minis! Just convinces me further that I should own some of those guys (my wallet isn't very happy with you!)...
Back to top Go down
folketsfiende
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
folketsfiende

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Perry Miniatures warband.   Perry Miniatures warband. Icon_minitimeSun 21 Aug 2011 - 8:49

It seems you're heading in a fruitful direction! You will have a mighty fine looking warband. It seems that the lighting in your latest pics is too strong and to close to the minis. Try to spread the lights a bit, and if possible no strong direct light, as this puts parts of the mini in shade and exaggerates the contrasts.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Perry Miniatures warband.   Perry Miniatures warband. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Perry Miniatures warband.
Page 1 of 1