HomeFAQSearchRegisterUsergroupsBlogLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Share | 

Gather the Warbands!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Soulblight
General
General

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Gather the Warbands!    Wed 6 Jul 2011 - 3:59

Since i joined TBMF ive come to understand that theirs a crazy amount of warbands out there. But now ive start to wonder; Just how many are there? Are they gathered somewhere on this forum and witch is one is balanced enought to play in ordinary campaign?

Thats what this topic is about. Ive seen some wonderful, brilliant warbands see the sun and got the forums labell of "accepted" (in a most good way!) and ive seen some warbands who isnt really "there" yet. (Im looking at you oh could-be-so-cool Blood Dragon list!!)

So my question is; Is there a topic devoted to this yet?

Seeing as there is so many of them, wouldnt it be mighty fine with an topic that lists the warbands and links to them? Perhaps there could be an a little not on how they work. If they are done, playtested and balanced.
Maybe even a little description about them.

The only downside i can think of with a topic as this is that the new player who stumbles upon this Most Fantastic Site is that their heads might implode by all the fantastic choices there are.

Personally i went from "oh, these Marienburger lads seem to be a charming group, with many possibility's and win-power (yeah, sadly i thought on winning first. Now thou im all about getting to evolve the characters...) till "These Undeadies seem awsome! Vampire! Hell yea!" and then i got more into this site and saw everything from the Protectorate of Sigmar (So damn wonderful!!) till The Restless Dead and now i feel i went from a little pool to a big freaking ocean of warbands...

Sorry for all the text, my mind keep spitting out words and its hard to make it stop...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Count Lucius
Champion
Champion

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead

PostSubject: Re: Gather the Warbands!    Wed 6 Jul 2011 - 6:26

Read the Watchtower portion of Issue 6 of Letters of the Damned. Here's the link: Letters of the Damned Issue 6 - It has most of the warbands and ratings as to how official and balanced they are. Thanks to Tabletop Geeks for hosting it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://countchetcula.blogspot.com
Pfreck
Warlord
Warlord

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Chaos Dwarfs (BTB) Chaos Dwarfs (BTB)
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Gather the Warbands!    Wed 6 Jul 2011 - 8:16

You can find every single warband ever published by GW, and a lot of unofficial warbands right here. There is even a ranking system on how well balanced the warbands are!

It's a sticky thread found in the "Mordheim Resources" forum! Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://pfreck.tumblr.com
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Monks (BTB) Monks (BTB)
Achievements earned: Silver Tom Silver Tom

PostSubject: Re: Gather the Warbands!    Wed 6 Jul 2011 - 11:03

Note that the list Pfreck pointed out is an updated version of the one I originally compiled for LotD. geek

General
General

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Gather the Warbands!    Wed 6 Jul 2011 - 12:09

Thanks for the links!! It was almost exactly what i was looking for!!

Your great guys!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eliazar
Etheral
Etheral

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Gather the Warbands!    Wed 6 Jul 2011 - 13:03

Yeah, stick to that list. If you wanted all warbands that have ever seen the light of the internet, it'd take you years to read Smile Even this forum, which is as busy on that area, has seen a crazy amount of warbands lately.. then there were the old SG forums and thousands of websites which died in the middle of last decade or so...

I've collected quite a number of warbands from around the net over the years, but most of the stuff isn't really balanced or even tested and whatnot. But with the Watchtower list, you get quite a number of official, unofficial and "experimental" warbands (to use the old classification... even though I consider some of the warbands of all the great supplements more balanced than some official unofficial stuff).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Murray145
Veteran
Veteran

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

PostSubject: Re: Gather the Warbands!    Thu 7 Jul 2011 - 10:52

I agree is Eliazar, it would take a bit of effort to get all the warbands ever written on the interwebs. I think that a Tom's Boring Warband List or a catalog of all of the warbands written on this forum (which I guess would be mostly myself and Styrofoamking) would be neat thing, allowing the forum members to rate each warband and deem them fit enough for game play.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BalrogTheBuff
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Gather the Warbands!    Thu 7 Jul 2011 - 11:53

Go for it Murray! We'll be cheering for you! Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
StyrofoamKing
Etheral
Etheral

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Gather the Warbands!    Thu 7 Jul 2011 - 13:24

*wonders if Cianty will add his Sartosa warbands to the watchtower if he gives him a cookie* scratch

Murray: You've done a heck of a lot of work, but there have been a lot of writers in times past. Credit's definitely due to those who came before us. Sir, yes sir!
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://sites.google.com/site/styroheim/
Soulblight
General
General

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Gather the Warbands!    Thu 7 Jul 2011 - 14:25

@ Murray; Yeah, i thought in those tracks too.

Im kinda split about the freedom in Mordheim, on one hand I absolute LOVE it. All the possibilitys, the chance to create your own hero or to see him crash and burn, the fluff and the chaos it involves.
But on the other hand theres almost TOO mutch!

For a new player who has just discovered Mordheim one of the first things he/she will get is the Rulebook with the "original" warbands. Then he goes online and the deeper he/she goes, the more he/she finds!
More Sell Swords, more warbands, scenarios and artifacts.. More of everything.

Thats why a catalouge or something along this lines would be beneficial for the community. Cause what i know, most Mordheim players come sooner or later to this forum, and if this forum can "rate" an warband it would be helpful for many.

Or atleast, thats how i see it....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BalrogTheBuff
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Gather the Warbands!    Thu 7 Jul 2011 - 14:50

I would love to help with this catalogue of awesomeness. Start with just warbands that are official, unofficial or a major publication source (Border Town Burning, Letters of the Damned, Sartosa, etc?) and then take the various experimental warbands from this forum? I'm not active on SG forums but I assume they would have some goodies for us too.

So until someone really wants to step up and run with it people could PM me the links to various sites. Then if someone really wants to take lead (Murray perhaps?) i can pass it all off to them.

I would like to see some kind of a community rating system as well for the various experimental warbands people do. Some kind of standards codified to help people make fair & fun warbands. And to get people's opinions on how warbands stand in aproximate balance. I know some consider some settings to be balanced to each other but over or underpowered when compared to the core warbands. (Lustria and Relics are the common ones I hear)

Back to top Go down
View user profile
RationalLemming
Etheral
Etheral

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

PostSubject: Re: Gather the Warbands!    Thu 7 Jul 2011 - 20:09

The old SG forums were brilliant with a LOT of stuff. That is mostly lost now and the new SG forums are pretty bland. The only warband that I recall off the top of my head was Styro's and Ram Rock's Snotling Hoard warband (which may have been posted here on TBMF also).

If you do create a mega list then I'd almost suggest adding it to the existing Watchtower sticky thread unless the new list incorporates the old and replaces the old Watchtower sticky thread as a new sticky thread.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://sites.google.com/site/ourhouserules/mordheim
StyrofoamKing
Etheral
Etheral

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Gather the Warbands!    Thu 7 Jul 2011 - 22:28

Snotlings: I'll get around to republishing that... it'll be a part of the "Wee War" setting I'm more than halfway done with. I just need to trim some of the "flak" from it first.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://sites.google.com/site/styroheim/
Soulblight
General
General

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Gather the Warbands!    Fri 8 Jul 2011 - 2:33

Wow! It seems to look like a bit of snowball effect is going on here!

Balrog; I would happily send as many warband-links i can find! I really do think a catalogue like this would support the whole community!

So if you need an hand just pm me! (One warning tho; My tech-skill is useless.. I think i can manage an copy and paste but might be far stretched Razz )

Apart from making some kind of rating system, wouldnt it be wise to have a little description about the warband? Something along the lines of "Undead; Strong leader, great in Close Combat, poorly Ranged".

That way, the new guy/girl can find a warband who fights "his/hers way" easily or at least find a band that has the right feeling/theme for him/her.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BalrogTheBuff
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Gather the Warbands!    Fri 8 Jul 2011 - 9:23

Ok, So a descriptive rating such as the strong leader/strong melee theme or speed based horde, or all rounder with emphasis on shooting. And I would like to also have an overall balance ranking compared to core warbands (just something like balanced, slightly stronger, slightly weaker, too weak, too strong). I would like to provide a level of playtesting ranking as well. So if someone submits a warband for the list try to give what information you can.
Anything else?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Soulblight
General
General

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Gather the Warbands!    Fri 8 Jul 2011 - 14:48

Description, rating and link to source would be more than enougth for Mordheim-players to come!

However, searching the web for bands to mail to you i came up with a minor problem...

While looking throu the Mousillon supplement i saw there was an Blood Dragon therein. The thing is that there are another Blood Dragon warband in our little part of the net. So, my question is; If we are to catalogue the bands, should we describe those two, and other like them, as "Blood Dragon version 1. Blood Dragon version 2.?"
or "Wood Elf, MRB version, Wood Elf, BalrogTheBuff edition" and so on?

Better go look into more warbands then..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Murray145
Veteran
Veteran

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

PostSubject: Re: Gather the Warbands!    Fri 8 Jul 2011 - 15:06

I suppose you could do it like this;

BTB Warbands

X - Written by Bill
Y - Written by John Doe
Z - Written by Derp

Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum Warbands:

A - Written by James (AKA Murray145)
B - Written by ______(AKA _______)

and so on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BalrogTheBuff
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Gather the Warbands!    Fri 8 Jul 2011 - 16:17

I usually just call them Styrofoam King and Ram Rock's Snotlings or Balrog's Snotlings (both excellent but Styro and Ram's has more testing behind it I believe).

I'll probably make two versions. One which would be an index with links and blurb. The other would be the list of them with the full text of ones I can get permission for.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RationalLemming
Etheral
Etheral

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

PostSubject: Re: Gather the Warbands!    Fri 8 Jul 2011 - 17:38

I like this idea. I think it would be very useful.

I initially stayed quite but I decided that I'd spill the beans on a complimentary project currently in the works...

An up-to-date Watchtower is something that my gaming group has been planning for several months now. We have around 2 GB of Mordheim material that we've collected over the last five-or-so years. We have been saddened that the Mordheimer Information Centre is no longer up-to-date now that Mordheimer is pursuing Death Sqauds with Da Bank. Tabletop Geeks started out promising but is broader than Mordheim and Svenn hasn't had much/any time to dedicate to Mordheim resources lately (e.g. the Mordheimer Roster Builder) although he dropped a hint recently of a possible MiM exclusive coming up. Our vision is for the updated Watchtower to cover more than just warbands, hired swords and DPs though to also cover equipment, settings, and everything else in Mordheim.

Perhaps the jewel in the crown of our plan is a web-based Mordheim Campaign Roster which is nearly ready for deployment. Svenn's Mordheim Roster Builder is great for creating new warbands but really inappropriate for use after creating your initial warband. Our Mordheim Campaign Roster really is the opposite - it is no where near as flashy for creating new warbands but supports adding & removing of Heros, Henchmen, Hired Swords and Dramatis Personae as well as managing equipment, skills, injuries, etc.

Anyway, this is all still a way off. It won't subtract from the usefulness of this warband list as the plans have different but complimentary focuses.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://sites.google.com/site/ourhouserules/mordheim
BalrogTheBuff
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Gather the Warbands!    Mon 11 Jul 2011 - 10:16

Awesome! A resource like that would be great! I still remember how exciting it was for me finding Mordheimer's when i started to get back in to the hobby. THank you all of you who put so much time in to these efforts. They make things a lot more fun for the rest of us!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gather the Warbands!    Today at 21:39

Back to top Go down

Gather the Warbands!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1