HomeFAQSearchRegisterUsergroupsBlogLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Share | 

Beastmen placement

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Grimtoof
Hero
Hero

Trading Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Beastmen placement   Tue 5 Jul 2011 - 23:08

I have an orc warband and a beastmen warband, and I am not sure where they place.
The orcs have a much easier time keeping their heroes alive against enemy shooting as the boyz all have T4, where 1/3rd of my beastmen are hounds T3. This results in 3 or more of my hounds dropping before I get a charge off and result in a much weaker assault. Yet the speed means I almost always get the charge off (resulting in my friends models getting mauled usually).

I guess I am wondering what everyone else thinks about beastmen and where they would place. Are they a more competitive warband? Or are they more of a fun and fluffy warband. I know that orcs are competitive, (their combat outcomes always show this.)

Let me know what you all think.

P.S. I haven't used a minotaur yet, but I am iffy about him as I can see him dieing every game to shooting before he gets in melee.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Murray145
Veteran
Veteran

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Beastmen placement   Wed 6 Jul 2011 - 0:46

Beastmen are a pretty good warband, they certainly are fast (being able to charge 10"), Ungor do have a bit of trouble withstanding a barrage of ranged attacks, but Gors do have T4.

If you dont want to dish out tons of cash on Gors then I would suggest using a good amount of hounds as a screening unit for your heroes against shooting attacks.

As for the Minotaur, I personally dont like him. He is 200 gold and might be a powerful combatant in close combat and causes fear, it is still a large target and suffers from frenzy after taking a single target and doesn't have any type of save. His stats aren't that impressive for a super monster.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RationalLemming
Etheral
Etheral

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

PostSubject: Re: Beastmen placement   Wed 6 Jul 2011 - 1:42

The minotaur is one of the best monster henchmen. Give it heavy armour and watch out slaughter especially early in a campaign. Frenzy is a good thing once he gets amongst a group.

Beastmen are a top tier warband. Very powerful when used well but not overpowered.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://sites.google.com/site/ourhouserules/mordheim
folketsfiende
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Beastmen placement   Wed 6 Jul 2011 - 3:17

Beastmen are one of the easiest warbands to play due to their melee prowess. When you're moving in for the charge, take care not to leave your warriors out in the open - use cover and go into hiding now and then. As for the orks, they're powerful, with their high number limit as their best asset, but you are using the animosity rules? I always find that animosity puts a spanner in the works...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Theorox
Warlord
Warlord

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Beastmen placement   Wed 6 Jul 2011 - 3:22

My orcs might be faring so well since I freakin' keep FORGETTING ANIMOSITY then! D: I'm an O&G player in Warhammer, I shouldn't forget. But I do! xD

Theo
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lord 0
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Beastmen placement   Wed 6 Jul 2011 - 6:06

I had never played Orcs until I saw the 'Ogre' models at Warfoundry. With a few face-swaps they made orcs that I could see myself playing (I had played Marienburgers before that). I was constantly forgetting animosity when I first started, but I am a lot better now. I would say orcs are easily a top tier warband, and beastmen are *at least* mid tier, possibly top tier. Not sure as I haven't played with them so just go with the others Smile.

http://wargamesfoundry.com/fantasy_ranges/single_packs/fantasy/ogre/mercenary_ogres_ballaguthon_and_jonaddon_orcp008/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
StyrofoamKing
Etheral
Etheral

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Beastmen placement   Wed 6 Jul 2011 - 6:28

Beastmen - stats
High Toughness
5 Powerful starting heroes (all better than human champions)
High move
Powerful Minotaur (not much stronger than a troll, but can access equipment)

Cons
Low Ld
NO missiles
Expensive (although, they have 2 cheap henchmen units)

The low ld is their greatest weakness, really... they are a 1/6th more likely to rout than humans or orcs. Other than, they play like missile-less skaven with t4.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://sites.google.com/site/styroheim/
mrtn
General
General

PostSubject: Re: Beastmen placement   Wed 6 Jul 2011 - 9:54

If you find that your hounds get taken out by shooting there are two things you can do. Either stop taking hounds, or play with a decent amount of terrain. I find beastmen powerful, both when I've played them and when I've played against folketsfiende's beastmen.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Grimtoof
Hero
Hero

PostSubject: Re: Beastmen placement   Wed 6 Jul 2011 - 10:14

The main problem with hounds and ungors (I am at my maximum on gors) is they will get shot down very easily.

We play with large amounts of terrain but the enemy still needs to see me before I charge, Or I can get at him within 4 inches and try an initiative roll to charge him (he is smart and doesn't let me do this anyways). So I have to be where he can see me for 1 turn and be under half in order to charge him.

This means my hounds are behind cover so -1, reiklanders 4+ to hit with like 10 shots wounding on 4's, he mangles my dogs every time. I do thrash him in melee, but so do my orcs but they never have the casualties the dogs have.

We do play with animosity, but when only 2 guys really squable a turn in my 18 orc warband, it is never enough and I just roll him. I haven't lost a single hero in about 4 games with my orcs.

Oh, I don't need to worry about my beastmen's leadership really, as my chieftain died, and a gor henchmen that got LGT became the new leader with Ld 9.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BalrogTheBuff
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Beastmen placement   Wed 6 Jul 2011 - 11:17

Never played as beastmen, but have played against them several times. One time was a brand new mordheim player (he had 2 games under his belt before making beastmen) and the other my my brother who has played around with a good few warbands.

Beastmen seem like a great choice for beginners. Fast, tough melee troops with some character. They allow a player to learn the basics without having to worry about too many complicated special rules. They handle well and can compete with the best. But I did notice the large expense of heroes and if they lose something like the Centigor early it can be very expensive.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Beastmen placement   Today at 18:53

Back to top Go down

Beastmen placement
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1