Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Sisters of Sigmar or Witch Hunters?

Go down 
+8
CowboyCapo
vampirekhaine
Grimscull
gorenut
Gardamazh
playtable
Von Kurst
xlins
12 posters
AuthorMessage
xlins
Champion
Champion
xlins

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters
Achievements earned: none

hunters - Sisters of Sigmar or Witch Hunters?  Empty
PostSubject: Sisters of Sigmar or Witch Hunters?    hunters - Sisters of Sigmar or Witch Hunters?  Icon_minitimeFri 24 Jun 2011 - 23:31

That is my main problem:

I like the Witch Hunter characters (the boss and the hunters...) also the hounds. I don't mind the flagellants, but is hard to decide here, ofc the cool part of the band are the WH...

On the other hand, I like the most of the Sisters of Sigmar, but the coolest mini there (bertha) is f*king hard to get one (or paying a lot of $$$ for her), and I don't know how powerful can they be.

¿What would be your advice? ¿Why would you choose one over the other?

Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Sisters of Sigmar or Witch Hunters?    hunters - Sisters of Sigmar or Witch Hunters?  Icon_minitimeSat 25 Jun 2011 - 0:32

I have played the Witch Hunters a bit. I never bothered with too many zealots, I tend to lean on flagellants, hounds and hired swords. I really liked the character Solomon Kane from the old Wierd Tales. Also I have an Empire Warhammer army and I had purchased the Warhammer Quest witch hunter and warrior priest before the warband came out so I had a pretty good start on the project.

Sisters have always been enemies. They are tough opponents, but fun to play against.

Good luck with your decision!
Back to top Go down
xlins
Champion
Champion
xlins

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Sisters of Sigmar or Witch Hunters?    hunters - Sisters of Sigmar or Witch Hunters?  Icon_minitimeSat 25 Jun 2011 - 23:17

Well even though I'm bidding on some Sisters, I also like the Witch Hunters... depending on the results I'll choose one band or another :p

(but in the very end I think I'll end up building both.... xd)
Back to top Go down
playtable
Ancient
Ancient
playtable

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Sisters of Sigmar or Witch Hunters?    hunters - Sisters of Sigmar or Witch Hunters?  Icon_minitimeSun 26 Jun 2011 - 5:44

I play both:
if you want to shoot things with crossbows and hit hard in hth with flagellants use Witch Hunters,
if you want to sling and whip & whip in hth do Sisters of Sigmar.
As for Bertha, yes she's a great model. I've had her painted up for probably 5 years now. (You do realize she is very hard to field.)
I've never used mine yet. I either forget to try or I fail the roll.
Back to top Go down
Gardamazh
Youngblood
Youngblood
Gardamazh

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead

PostSubject: Re: Sisters of Sigmar or Witch Hunters?    hunters - Sisters of Sigmar or Witch Hunters?  Icon_minitimeThu 4 Aug 2011 - 10:50

I personally like the witch hunters more. Just their style, I have no idea which is most fun/best to play with.
Back to top Go down
gorenut
Veteran
Veteran
gorenut

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Sisters of Sigmar or Witch Hunters?    hunters - Sisters of Sigmar or Witch Hunters?  Icon_minitimeTue 27 Sep 2011 - 22:21

I like Witch Hunters too. Even moreso after seeing the upcoming Avatars of War model.

hunters - Sisters of Sigmar or Witch Hunters?  Aow_witchhound_wip

I would love to play around with a Witch Hunter warband themed after a traveling Witch Hunter that really just recruits all over to deal with magic and unholy monsters the best he can (imagine one containing the likes of a Dwarf Slayer).
Back to top Go down
Grimscull
Etheral
Etheral
Grimscull

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Sisters of Sigmar or Witch Hunters?    hunters - Sisters of Sigmar or Witch Hunters?  Icon_minitimeTue 27 Sep 2011 - 23:01

It is not an upcoming Witchhunter by Avatars of War, it has been released for quite a while (almost purchased it myself last weekend).
I field my second Witchhunter-warband now, simply because I like the models so much and the chance to field some 40k models in MH. Never played SoS, because the models just don't do it for me.
I'd always give the advise I read in an old Citadel Journal - always go with what you like the look of!
Back to top Go down
vampirekhaine
Warlord
Warlord
vampirekhaine

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Sisters of Sigmar or Witch Hunters?    hunters - Sisters of Sigmar or Witch Hunters?  Icon_minitimeFri 30 Sep 2011 - 20:08

I really like sisters of sigmar. The theme is very inspiring and if you are like me, than you would not mind using another manufacturer to gather some really top-notch mini's and use them as sisters!

Reaper has quite a few. Werner Klocke made a lot of very interesting female miniatures! I would certainly check those out as well.
Back to top Go down
CowboyCapo
Youngblood
Youngblood
CowboyCapo

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marauders (BTB) Marauders (BTB)

PostSubject: Re: Sisters of Sigmar or Witch Hunters?    hunters - Sisters of Sigmar or Witch Hunters?  Icon_minitimeFri 16 Aug 2013 - 18:44

I have had two Sisters warbands; my first was the GW set which I kitted magnetic weapons onto, aside from the aforementioned Ms. Befraustrung, who simply has no need of them. I ended up letting a (former) friend borrow them to try them out for Mordheim; I made a second batch with a bunch of the Privateer Press minis.
Back to top Go down
Spectre76
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Spectre76

Trading Reputation : 4

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: Sisters of Sigmar or Witch Hunters?    hunters - Sisters of Sigmar or Witch Hunters?  Icon_minitimeFri 16 Aug 2013 - 23:29

Witch Hunters tend to be a more solid, all-around warband with some nasty tricks up their sleeves. Dog-spamming in the beginning of their career tends to be VERY effective. Send in the dogs first, and mop up with Flagellants, all the while picking off stragglers with crossbows.

Sisters have some COOL close combat toys that are totally unique to them, but like you said, the models are more expensive and difficult to come by. I've got a friend that works at my LGS, and he LOVES his Sisters warband.

In the end, it's up to you. Besides, there's nothing that says you can't play WH now, and SoS later as you collect the models.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thetonezone.net
Caledore
Champion
Champion
Caledore

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Sisters of Sigmar or Witch Hunters?    hunters - Sisters of Sigmar or Witch Hunters?  Icon_minitimeWed 21 Aug 2013 - 1:52

I've never played Sisters. I don't think I've even played against them. On paper they seem to lack variety - two similar types of henchmen and 3 basic heroes, with only the Augur and the Matriarch being more interesting than a typical human. Granted they do have some unique equipment. The models may be harder to come by, though the Kings of War Sisterhood that's coming out soon could make excellent Sisters.

Now for Witch Hunters - they are my favorite band, and I heartily recommend them. They're quite well balanced, with strong melee henchmen in Flaggies, cheap fast henchmen in Wardogs, prayers and close combat from the Warrior-Priest, and versatile Witch Hunters who can be capable in both long and short ranged shooting (I've outfitted half with crossbows and half with pistols myself). They also have a wide variety of Hired Swords available. They are limited in number compared to most bands, however.

Personally I also love the style of Witch Hunters - the torches, the pistols, the hats, the wonderful fanaticism. Aesthetics matters when it comes to modelling and painting a warband, so I would consider which style you like more.
Back to top Go down
The Ultra-Mega Bob
Veteran
Veteran
The Ultra-Mega Bob

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Sisters of Sigmar or Witch Hunters?    hunters - Sisters of Sigmar or Witch Hunters?  Icon_minitimeThu 17 Oct 2013 - 14:48

Personally, I have only played as Witch Hunters, as I love the 'So good we're evil' vibe they have.

I plan to start a counts-as Sisters warband soon though- based on Monks. I'd like to use the Flagellant bodies to convert a male version of the Sisters of Sigmar, as I think the availability and aesthetic of female models isn't really to my taste (I love getting all kinds of different models from alternative sources, but there aren't many female nun-style models out there... plus an evil Brotherhood is more my style Twisted Evil )
Back to top Go down
Sir Smelpig

Sir Smelpig

PostSubject: Re: Sisters of Sigmar or Witch Hunters?    hunters - Sisters of Sigmar or Witch Hunters?  Icon_minitimeWed 23 Oct 2013 - 7:54

I was having the same problem a few months ago. The group I play with is just finishing out first Border Towns Burning campaign and we're planning on starting another one in the new year, adding in some of the old city fight levels for variety. I'm playing as a super hard hitting possessed team at the moment and it's great, but I'd like to try a completely good/lawful team.

So looking around at different sites i found some really cool angel models, which sparked a new idea. I'm going to be using the Sisters of sigmar rules but with one change. adding to their initial cost, i'm giving each hero the wings mutation so they can all fly, then(as i'm going to be doing damned shall burn), instead of getting the 3 warrior priests, we're making it so at 20cp i can actually fly, not just float. It should make things very interesting, but not too difficult to understand. to round things out we're also saying i can't wear heavy armour as it doesn't really go with the whole flying idea. also, obviously they can't get any other mutations being a strict lawful team.

I was tossing up between witch hunters and sisters but I felt the sisters rules tended to fit the story more, being righteous warriors in the name of their god, rather than crazed fanatics only interested in killing anyone that isn't as fanatical as they are.

I don't know if this helps but it goes to show that the sisters don't necessarily need to be a bland warband. Another thing to think about is that there are a lot less hired swords available to the sisters than there are to the witch hunters.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sisters of Sigmar or Witch Hunters?    hunters - Sisters of Sigmar or Witch Hunters?  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sisters of Sigmar or Witch Hunters?
Page 1 of 1