Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Spellcasters and Levelling Up

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Thomas UK
Champion
Champion
Thomas UK

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders
Achievements earned: none

Spellcasters and Levelling Up Empty
PostSubject: Spellcasters and Levelling Up   Spellcasters and Levelling Up Icon_minitimeThu 16 Jun 2011 - 16:29

I've always found it frustrating to level up spellcasters in Mordheim. When choosing new skills
a hero has the ability to pick from the skill lists but spellcasters have to roll on their spell lists and receieve a random spell, making it difficult to get the spells or build you want with your spellcasters.

Although I think its sensible to keep the power of magic casters limited in Mordheim I think the spell lists and difficulty rolls keep magic under check well enough. Its difficult enough when levelling to get 'new skill' and not a random stat upgrade which may not be useful!

In response to this issue I propose optional rules for a new piece of equipment:

Scroll of Secret Knowledge:
Availability: Rare 8 Cost: 35gc
The next time a hero rolls 'new skill' when gaining an experience level they may choose
any spell from their spell list as a new spell inseatd of rolling for a random new spell. They may not pick a spell they allready know in order to reduce its difficulty roll in this manner. After one use the scroll is considered used and should be removed from the heroes equipment list.

This kind of optional rule would allow players to build more specific spellcasters but offsets this advantage with having to pay for a one use item which is of a fair rarity. I also think it would be sensible to stop players using the ruling to reduce spell difficulties in a broken manner.

What do people think? Any other optional rules to make levelling spellcasters easier? Do you think the levelling system is fine as it is?
Back to top Go down
folketsfiende
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
folketsfiende

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Spellcasters and Levelling Up   Spellcasters and Levelling Up Icon_minitimeThu 16 Jun 2011 - 16:53

It's an interesting idea. It's difficult to say whether the price is right, but I don't think it well offset the balance of the game.
Back to top Go down
StyrofoamKing
Etheral
Etheral
StyrofoamKing

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Spellcasters and Levelling Up   Spellcasters and Levelling Up Icon_minitimeThu 16 Jun 2011 - 17:01

Looks good. And a lot fairer than the BTB skill that just lets you pick whichever spell you want (eek). Maybe randomize the price a little, like 25 + 3D6gc, implying that some spells are more costly than others.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/styroheim/
Thomas UK
Champion
Champion
Thomas UK

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: Spellcasters and Levelling Up   Spellcasters and Levelling Up Icon_minitimeThu 16 Jun 2011 - 17:17

StyrofoamKing wrote:
Looks good. And a lot fairer than the BTB skill that just lets you pick whichever spell you want (eek). Maybe randomize the price a little, like 25 + 3D6gc, implying that some spells are more costly than others.

Oh wasn't aware of the BTB skill! Wasn't trying to deliberatley do something which has been done before! It sounds like the BTB skill is quite fair because it makes you use up a skill choice, which are quite hard to come by!

I like the idea of the randomized price, I suppose that fits alongside the other magical items well like tarot cards etc.

On another matter the true power gamer and spellcaster lover deep down in me wishes there was a way spellcasters could learn spells from other spell-lists, though I know this would be well unbalancing if there wasn't a heavy cost to doing it! I like some of the ideas I've seen posted on here before involving new academic skills to make spellcasters better support characters. Can't remember who posted it but the 'herbalist' skill where 'healing herbs' are generated once a game was cool!
Back to top Go down
Lord 0
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Lord 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Spellcasters and Levelling Up   Spellcasters and Levelling Up Icon_minitimeThu 16 Jun 2011 - 18:38

In Relics of the Crusade casters get to pick their first spell and then random for the rest of them. We use that as a houserule in all our campaigns now. It means that casters get to pick an xp earning spell right off the bat and you choose to go for a non-xp earning spell, well, it was you that chose it.
Back to top Go down
mweaver
Etheral
Etheral
mweaver

PostSubject: Re: Spellcasters and Levelling Up   Spellcasters and Levelling Up Icon_minitimeFri 17 Jun 2011 - 2:16

"In Relics of the Crusade casters get to pick their first spell and then random for the rest of them."

Never played Relics of the Crusades, but this rule is the one we came up with some years ago, and it works well. That said, I think your idea is quite reasonable, Thomas.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spellcasters and Levelling Up   Spellcasters and Levelling Up Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Spellcasters and Levelling Up
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum :: General Discussion :: Rules and Gameplay-
Jump to: