Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Quickshot and bow/crossbow subtypes

Go down 
+4
Drayven
Schoel
Mephysto
Triumph
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Triumph
Youngblood
Youngblood
Triumph

Trading Reputation : 0

Quickshot and bow/crossbow subtypes Empty
PostSubject: Quickshot and bow/crossbow subtypes   Quickshot and bow/crossbow subtypes Icon_minitimeWed 8 Jun 2011 - 13:08

Just to check, when Quick shot says it may be used with a Bow, this means it can only be used with a basic 24" range Bow, and not a shortbow, elf bow or long bow?

And by the same logic Crossbow does not include Repeater Crossbows?
Back to top Go down
Mephysto
Veteran
Veteran
Mephysto

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Quickshot and bow/crossbow subtypes   Quickshot and bow/crossbow subtypes Icon_minitimeWed 8 Jun 2011 - 14:27

Maybe too liberal on my part, but since the skill explicitly states its exceptions (crossbow pistols and nothing else), and since the old rulebook allowed this skill to be used with an even wider spectrum of missile weapons (which had its own problems, so I understand the new wording as a clarification and rephrasing of the old skill, not a restrictive new one), I think every kind of bow (so short, long and Elf bows, indeed) or crossbow (except crossbow pistols) can be fired twice with it. Smile

/Edit: For repeater crossbows, why not? Go ahead, fire twice with the skill (or without it Wink) - no one ever said you could fire four times. Razz
Back to top Go down
Schoel
Knight
Knight
Schoel

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven

PostSubject: Re: Quickshot and bow/crossbow subtypes   Quickshot and bow/crossbow subtypes Icon_minitimeWed 8 Jun 2011 - 15:13

I agree with Mephysto on this one.
Back to top Go down
Drayven
Knight
Knight
Drayven

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Beastmen (EIF) Beastmen (EIF)

PostSubject: Re: Quickshot and bow/crossbow subtypes   Quickshot and bow/crossbow subtypes Icon_minitimeWed 8 Jun 2011 - 15:28

That's how we play it too. Any type of bow or crossbow except for those specifically stated.
Back to top Go down
Eliazar
Etheral
Etheral
Eliazar

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Quickshot and bow/crossbow subtypes   Quickshot and bow/crossbow subtypes Icon_minitimeWed 8 Jun 2011 - 15:30

I agree, too. Would be pretty silly if you could only use it with a standard bow.
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Quickshot and bow/crossbow subtypes   Quickshot and bow/crossbow subtypes Icon_minitimeWed 8 Jun 2011 - 16:27

We discuss this pretty often I think, although if you try a search very little comes up, Either way the consensus is that ALL types of bows and ALL types of crossbows are covered.

As already noted repeater crossbows do not become 4 shot weapons, instead the skill allows the warrior to lose the -1 to hit for firing twice.
Back to top Go down
DRD1812
Warlord
Warlord
DRD1812

PostSubject: Re: Quickshot and bow/crossbow subtypes   Quickshot and bow/crossbow subtypes Icon_minitimeWed 8 Jun 2011 - 16:34

What I've never understood is the desire to group crossbow pistols with every other type of pistol. The rules are totally different! If you want to fire twice with a crossbow pistol, you've got to buy a second one (a "brace") and take Pistolier. It always struck me as a more elegant solution to place crossbow pistols under the purview of Quick Shot.

Is that somehow too powerful? Anybody have any insight on the subject?
Back to top Go down
Lord 0
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Lord 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Quickshot and bow/crossbow subtypes   Quickshot and bow/crossbow subtypes Icon_minitimeThu 9 Jun 2011 - 10:06

In my group we modified Quick-shot to be you get +1 shot, so for repeater crossbows (and slings at the time) you would get 2 shots at normal and 3 shots at -1 to hit.

I think perhaps what they really didn't want was crossbow pistols being used with Quickshot *and* Pistoleer. So because they could only choose one skill that it would be used with they went with Pistoleer because the mental image of a person dual-wielding crossbow pistols was way cooler than a person just shooting twice with one of them.

My close-support Big'Un likes the new rules - he can fire a brace of dueling pistols and then fire a brace of crossbow pistols while waiting for them to cool down to reload them. My Marienburger captain is less fond of the rules. He used to be able to have a Hockland Long Rifle and a dueling pistol and use Hunter to quickly reload both of them. Now he has to wait for the pistol because Hunter only works with handguns and long rifles and I don't give him Pistoleer.
Back to top Go down
DRD1812
Warlord
Warlord
DRD1812

PostSubject: Re: Quickshot and bow/crossbow subtypes   Quickshot and bow/crossbow subtypes Icon_minitimeThu 9 Jun 2011 - 18:38

Ha! I suppose dual crossbow pistols is a much cooler image.

TWANG!

"What the hell was that? Are there bees in Mordheim?"

TWANG!

"Argh!"

Still, that extra 35 gold to get a second shot is annoying. Especially when there's no close combat advantage like you would get with a second pistol. However, if you're going to combine crossbow pistols with other pistols on a single model...

@Lord0: Your explanation FINALLY gave me some insight into the crossbow pistol's inclusion on the Pistolier skill. If you've got a "close-support" character like your Big 'Un, it makes sense. The function of a crossbow pistol and a regular pistol in-game are similar, even if the rules are dissimilar. In other words, they're both close range weapons, so they OUGHT to only require one skill slot to use effectively.

Still, it bothers me that the only reason a "brace" of crossbow pistols exists is to shoehorn them into the Pistolier skill. They don't require a reload, so buying that extra one still feels like a waste of gold.
Back to top Go down
Lord 0
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Lord 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Quickshot and bow/crossbow subtypes   Quickshot and bow/crossbow subtypes Icon_minitimeFri 10 Jun 2011 - 4:12

You could always house rule it in your group to come under the Quickshot rule instead or make it so that the person using them can choose which one they want it to come under. That way a person with Pistoleer doesn't have to get Quickshot and a person with Quickshot doesn't have to get Pistoleer. Just so long as you don't make it so that it it can have *both* apply to it.

We don't have anyone playing Witch-hunters in my group so noone takes them very much. I think I will put it to them to see if we will allow it to benefit from either (not both, of course Razz).
Back to top Go down
DRD1812
Warlord
Warlord
DRD1812

PostSubject: Re: Quickshot and bow/crossbow subtypes   Quickshot and bow/crossbow subtypes Icon_minitimeFri 10 Jun 2011 - 18:53

Lord 0 wrote:
I think I will put it to them to see if we will allow it to benefit from either (not both, of course Razz).

I may do the same. A very reasonable solution, IMO. And I'm definitely in agreement that both skills should not apply simultaneously. No silly "but I should get 4 shots" arguments here!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Quickshot and bow/crossbow subtypes   Quickshot and bow/crossbow subtypes Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Quickshot and bow/crossbow subtypes
Page 1 of 1