Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords

Go down 
+5
floedebolle
BurnTheWitch
Eliazar
DeafNala
5pointer
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
5pointer
Elder
Elder
5pointer

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs
Achievements earned: none

hired - The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords Empty
PostSubject: The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords   hired - The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords Icon_minitimeWed 1 Jun 2011 - 13:50

"Need an extra strongarm? A keen-eye? Or something more exotic? Come to The Hireling Agency for all your personnel needs!" - poster on the roadside outside Brigandsburg

This thread will be the home of my many hired swords. Each will be posted only when painted and will include short backgrounds. You can expect many bad puns, clichéd stories and strange use of foreign languages. Embarassed

All my hirelings will be painted as and when I get the urge and when I get a chance between other projects, so expect lulls and threadomancy to occur during the life of this project!

As with all of my efforts, my hope is that they are of table-top quality; I make no suggestion that they are anything but that.

(please forgive my multiple postings as this starts up - I'm going to put each hireling in its own post)

Last edited by 5pointer on Tue 16 Aug 2011 - 21:39; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
5pointer
Elder
Elder
5pointer

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords   hired - The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords Icon_minitimeWed 1 Jun 2011 - 13:52

Ernst Adler - Freelancer

The middle son of a minor noble family from Blutfurt in Ostermark, Ernst is a capable warrior who served faithfully in the bodyguard of his father for a number of years. The Adler family recently fell on hard times when their lands were attacked by a Waaagh! led by the Goblin Chief Mignob Zitnose. Waaagh! Zitnose was only repelled at great cost to the Adlers who were forced to hire a Mercenary army to assist with the defence of their lands. Ernst has become a sellsword to help refill the family coffers, but he carries with him his hatred of the greenskins who devastated his home.

His full-plate armour, once resplendent and finely-kept, is tarnished, battered and scratched. His shield, once proudly marked with the Adler crest is gouged and scarred from countless desperate battles. Despite all this, Ernst carries himself with quiet nobility and a stoic determination.

hired - The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords Ernst

hired - The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords Ernst2

You probably can't make it out, but I added battle-damage to his armour, helmet and sword as well as the more obvious shield - poor Ernst really has been in the wars!
Back to top Go down
5pointer
Elder
Elder
5pointer

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords   hired - The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords Icon_minitimeWed 1 Jun 2011 - 13:55

Mario Idraulico - Tilean Marksman

Known as the ‘Golden Brother’, since childhood Mario could do no wrong. Where his brother Luigi was scolded, he was praised; where Luigi practised his trade, Mario lounged around; when Luigi went to war, Mario courted eligible women. Through it all Mario was loved and cherished by his parents.

Mario recently married Maria Pesca, so what if she was his brother’s childhood sweetheart?

When Luigi left Tilea in a rage, Maria convinced Mario to follow him, to try to rebuild the shattered relationship between the Idraulico brothers.

hired - The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords Mario

hired - The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords Mario2

The inspiration behind our Tilean friend here should be obvious, as is my favourite character from the games! (his eyes don't look quite that bad in real life, honest guv!)
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords   hired - The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords Icon_minitimeWed 1 Jun 2011 - 14:43

Don't worry about the multi-posts; you don't get any extra credit for high numbers of posts...trust me on this one. Suspect
Both minis are VERY NICELY DONE...the background fluff adds a depth to the paint jobs. The eyes look like they're suffering from a bit too much light in the photo process...otherwise they look fine.
In keeping with the Renaissance costumes, I think the Mercenary theme fits perfectly. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
5pointer
Elder
Elder
5pointer

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords   hired - The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords Icon_minitimeWed 1 Jun 2011 - 14:49

Cheers! Just the kind of encouragement to give me a boost on the next hireling... Smile

I don't see the point in miniatures without background fluff, so expect a bite-size intro for each and every one (only 100 98 to go!) study
Back to top Go down
Eliazar
Etheral
Etheral
Eliazar

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords   hired - The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords Icon_minitimeWed 1 Jun 2011 - 15:39

Very nice miniatures! I really like your approach (perhaps doing something like this would give me a reason to finish all the odd miniatures I have lying around at my place that don't fit anywhere else...)

As you call them semi-DP. do they all have some special rules as well or do you simply use vanilla HS rules for them?
Back to top Go down
BurnTheWitch
General
General
BurnTheWitch

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ogres (BTB) Ogres (BTB)

PostSubject: Re: The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords   hired - The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords Icon_minitimeWed 1 Jun 2011 - 16:54

Great minis and great background stories thumbsup The background stories makes the minis come more to life!
Back to top Go down
5pointer
Elder
Elder
5pointer

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords   hired - The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords Icon_minitimeWed 1 Jun 2011 - 20:51

Thanks guys! This is why I love this forum - it's so supportive and, at least in my opinion, really helps keep my enthusiasm for the hobby at a high level!

The Hireling Agency project started as a way to use some old miniatures up, but the rest came as a result of either spotting a cool miniature on eBay or similar, or having an idea and getting/kitbashing a miniature to suit.

I'm working on some very draft rules for each of them, but as I'm way off playtesting I'll unveil those further down the line. Of course, they (at least some of them!) can also be used as vanilla HS or as counts as at a push.
Back to top Go down
5pointer
Elder
Elder
5pointer

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords   hired - The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords Icon_minitimeWed 1 Jun 2011 - 20:55

Heimdall Frostcaller - Norscan Warrior

Hailing from the frozen and harsh land of Norsca, Heimdall has both traded with and raided the costal towns of the Empire and Bretonnia. Following a disastrous raid against one such town, Heimdall managed to escape into the surrounding countryside.

The Norscan joined up with a variety of Mercenary Armies, serving as a musician in one of the many Norse Berserker regiments that earn their coin fighting as Dogs of War. After proving his worth, his new leader presented him with an enchanted warhorn, the Frostcaller’s Horn. Heimdall decided not to return to Norsca with his new comrades, choosing instead to travel to the infamous city of Mordheim in search of adventure and the irresistible call of gold.

hired - The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords Heimdall

hired - The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords Heimdall2

Well, not the greatest sculpt in the world, but I got him very cheaply indeed and thought he deserved a spot in the Agency if nowhere else Smile
Back to top Go down
floedebolle
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
floedebolle

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords   hired - The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords Icon_minitimeWed 1 Jun 2011 - 21:11

Nice idea, love your backgroundstories, adds an extra bit of colour to your minis, and of course: excellent choice of minis, thumbs up!

Bob Parkhurst: Take it!
[she undoes her shirt - exeunt]
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords   hired - The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords Icon_minitimeWed 1 Jun 2011 - 23:45

While the mini might not be exactly a state of the art piece, he certainly did turn out TERRIFIC...again enhanced by his history. VERY WELL DONE! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
5pointer
Elder
Elder
5pointer

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords   hired - The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords Icon_minitimeFri 3 Jun 2011 - 14:34

Thanks again guys! The supportive words have encouraged me to finish a couple more...

La Spada - Tilean Duellist

The Tilean known only as La Spada is a duellist of dark and dangerous repute. For years he plied his trade across the Old World, serving as a proxy in duels for wealthy merchants and effete nobles. Each time he won, typically cutting his opponents to ribbons in the process, and left with a pouch full of gold crowns.

La Spada thirsts for a greater challenge; the reputation of the Cursed City has attracted him, as has the stories of the skilled warriors that have gathered there. He now sells his services to whoever will pay his fee – as long as there are opponents to kill, La Spada is satisfied.

hired - The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords Spada

hired - The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords Spada2

An experiment with skin colour, at least now I know an easy way for vampire/dark elf skin! Laughing
Back to top Go down
5pointer
Elder
Elder
5pointer

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords   hired - The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords Icon_minitimeFri 3 Jun 2011 - 14:37

Abdul Kahar - Arabian Bodyguard

Abdul Kahar is a famous sell-sword from the distant land of Araby. His skill with his finely crafted scimitar (known as Prophet's Will) is second to none and his ferocity in battle is matched only by his sense of honour and justice.

Such is Abdul’s tenacity and determination in battle that his comrades-in-arms are often inspired by his conduct, refusing to flee no matter how desperate the situation.

hired - The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords Abdul

hired - The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords Abdul2

A great mini that I was scared to paint! Mrs 5pointer chose the colour scheme - I think he looks quite dapper!
Back to top Go down
smokezombie
Warlord
Warlord
smokezombie

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords   hired - The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords Icon_minitimeFri 3 Jun 2011 - 18:07

He looks good. Is he a reaper mini?
I like this thread, full of immagination ( and cool minis ). Thanks.
Looking forward to seeing more.
Back to top Go down
BurnTheWitch
General
General
BurnTheWitch

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ogres (BTB) Ogres (BTB)

PostSubject: Re: The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords   hired - The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords Icon_minitimeFri 3 Jun 2011 - 18:27

Gj! Love the arabian bodyguard mini! Where is he from?
Back to top Go down
5pointer
Elder
Elder
5pointer

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords   hired - The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords Icon_minitimeFri 3 Jun 2011 - 18:40

Thanks again guys! I'm glad to hear people are finding the thread enjoyable!

And yes, Abdul is indeed a Reaper mini and he is an awesome one at that!

Here he is on the Reaper site but I got mine from Hoard o Bits on eBay, a great source of both bits and Reaper minis (and their scenery barrels and crates are keenly priced too!)

I've got two warbands and five more Hirelings on my painting table - but these are Hirelings without pre-written stories so I'm waiting for inspiration to strike!
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords   hired - The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords Icon_minitimeFri 3 Jun 2011 - 20:58

Both new additions fall into the Oh-So-Cool mode. The pale complexion of the Duelist/Assassin gives him a sinister feel...appropriately. AND I like the greens you chose for Abdul. VERY WELL DONE! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
5pointer
Elder
Elder
5pointer

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords   hired - The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords Icon_minitimeSun 5 Jun 2011 - 22:21

Thanks again for the kind words of encouragement - they paid off, so here's another Hireling!

Il Guerriero di Verezzo

The famed Champion of the fighting pits of Verezzo, master of the traditional curved sword combat style and beloved hero of hundreds of bouts. The man spoken of only as Il Guerriero is an enigma to most; he is said to never remove his helm while in the company of another.

The victim of a despicable plot within his own Pit Fighting School, Il Guerriero was sold to a wealthy traveller from the Empire to use in his own bloodsport. This traveller, an influential owner of a stable of pit fighters, has issued Il Guerriero with only one instruction; to carve a bloody path through all who stand against him. Most recently he has been pitched against the many different warriors of the Empire and beyond. These fights take place in ramshackle settlements and filthy flea-ridden pits that surround the ruins of a once-proud city, a far cry from Il Guerriero’s days in Verezzo.

hired - The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords Guerriero

hired - The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords Guerriero2

This old Chaos Thug model was an impulse purchase and his helmet style just put me in the mind of gladiators (well, that and watching the Spartacus series!).
Back to top Go down
SerialMoM
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
SerialMoM

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

PostSubject: Re: The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords   hired - The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords Icon_minitimeWed 8 Jun 2011 - 19:25

Great project.

I also just paint minis because i have them and use them as villains or hired swords.

But your background stories really make the difference.

I am looking forward to see more.

Back to top Go down
5pointer
Elder
Elder
5pointer

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords   hired - The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords Icon_minitimeSat 11 Jun 2011 - 22:24

Thank you for the kind words! Some of the hirelings could (and will!) be used as villains/NPCs. In fact, most races will be represented (eventually!) so there will be something for everyone! Smile

Dieter of the Free Foresters

A member of the famed Free Foresters regiment from Stirland, Dieter is a straight-talking, straight-fighting, straight-drinking soldier of fortune. After a taxing campaign in the Southern provinces of the Empire, the Free Foresters were forced to seek worthy recruits. Dieter headed North, looking for trusty and capable men deserving of an offer to join the Free Foresters.

Dieter wields his double-handed axe with consummate ease, skill gained from many years serving as a mercenary. His gruff demeanour has gained him few friends, but he continues his search for able men to join his regiment.

hired - The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords Dieter

hired - The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords Dieter2

I love this mini! This time the idea for Dieter came first then I got lucky and chanced upon this guy on eBay Smile
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords   hired - The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords Icon_minitimeSun 12 Jun 2011 - 0:01

VERY COOL mini with a GREAT paint job...a nice combination! The 80s & 90s were a tremendously prolific period for Citadel apparently...there are just SO MANY minis out there that I for one have never seen. VERY WELL DONE! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
SerialMoM
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
SerialMoM

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

PostSubject: Re: The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords   hired - The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords Icon_minitimeSun 12 Jun 2011 - 11:34

Dieter is a very nice mini, and well painted too.
Back to top Go down
5pointer
Elder
Elder
5pointer

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords   hired - The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords Icon_minitimeSun 12 Jun 2011 - 12:27

Such kind words from such skilled and talented people! Thank you so much!Smile

Still have another two hirelings prepped on the workspace, so I'll hope to share something new as soon as I get them done!
Back to top Go down
5pointer
Elder
Elder
5pointer

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords   hired - The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords Icon_minitimeMon 13 Jun 2011 - 22:10

Fernando il Ghepardo

A Tilean mercenary pikeman, Fernando earnt his nickname from the exotic leopard skin he wears draped over his helm. He has fought in several of the famous pike regiments that serve in the many armies that wage war for the princes of his home country.

Fernando has plied his trade from Araby in the South all the way to Marienburg in the North. It was while in the port-city that Fernando was hired by a wealthy patron of a mercenary band that was headed to the city of Mordheim. Fernando, always willing to do the bidding of his paymaster, happily journeyed to that cursed place.

hired - The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords Fernando
hired - The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords Fernando2
hired - The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords Fernando3
hired - The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords Fernando4

I hope the leopard fur effect has worked out OK... I wanted to do it justice, hopefully it'll be OK for the tabletop!
Back to top Go down
5pointer
Elder
Elder
5pointer

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords   hired - The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords Icon_minitimeSun 19 Jun 2011 - 21:23

Vladik from the North

A member of the Ungol people of Kislev, Vladik is proud of his heritage. He fights in the traditional style of the Kossar; with battle axe and bow. He has spent years in the armies of Kislev, fighting back the threat of Chaos from the Wastes.

Times are hard in Kislev and Vladik has travelled South to the Empire to seek his fortune, perhaps one day he will return to his homeland, but for now he sells his martial skills in return for gold crowns. Able to fight the enemy at both range and in close combat, Vladik is a welcome hireling to any warband that is willing to pay his fee.

hired - The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords Vladik

hired - The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords Vladik2

Well that's the last hireling that I have prepped painted. Any suggestions what I should do next? More Humans? Or some Dwarfs? Elves? Halflings? I'm working on my Nipponese(Reiklander) and Tomb Guardian warbands next, but that won't stop me prepping some more Hirelings! Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords   hired - The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Hireling Agency - 5Pointer's Hired Swords
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next