Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Surviving Experince

Go down 
+4
Grimscull
Von Kurst
mweaver
BlacKnight
8 posters
AuthorMessage
BlacKnight
Youngblood
Youngblood
BlacKnight

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders
Achievements earned: none

Surviving Experince Empty
PostSubject: Surviving Experince   Surviving Experince Icon_minitimeFri 27 May 2011 - 5:21

I thought I had this rule down pat, but I got asked this question by one the players in my campaign...and now I'm having doubts. Here is what he asked:

"Thing I did not know: Under earning experience, it looks like if you are *not dead*, you get 1 XP at the end of the scenario! I wasn't giving it to Orks that were put out of commission..."

So do all of your heroes and henchmen groups gain +1xp just for playing a battle if afterwards you don't kill them all when rolling on the injury table?

I've been playing it as you only gain +1xp if you aren't taken out of action by the end of the battle. So all characters that are taken out of action don't gain any experience at all (even if they put multiple models out of action)

Some backup on this would be great. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
mweaver
Etheral
Etheral
mweaver

PostSubject: Re: Surviving Experince   Surviving Experince Icon_minitimeFri 27 May 2011 - 5:58

"So do all of your heroes and henchmen groups gain +1xp just for playing a battle if afterwards you don't kill them all when rolling on the injury table? "

Yup. You live, you earn the experience. In terms of the fellows who were biffed out of action... think of it as the school of hard knocks.
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Surviving Experince   Surviving Experince Icon_minitimeFri 27 May 2011 - 6:01

I think we played this wrong for several years before someone finally straightened me out. You all are catching on quick! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
mweaver
Etheral
Etheral
mweaver

PostSubject: Re: Surviving Experince   Surviving Experince Icon_minitimeFri 27 May 2011 - 6:06

It is a common misunderstanding. In fact, I think the two most common misunderstandings are this one and applying the melee rules regarding attacks on knocked down and stunned guys to ranged attacks as well.
Back to top Go down
Grimscull
Etheral
Etheral
Grimscull

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Surviving Experince   Surviving Experince Icon_minitimeFri 27 May 2011 - 8:27

mweaver wrote:
and applying the melee rules regarding attacks on knocked down and stunned guys to ranged attacks as well.
Which one is that: I declare to shoot my bow at a stunned model and it's ooa automatically? Or another one? (just asking to make sure I don't play anything wrong myself)
Back to top Go down
Schoel
Knight
Knight
Schoel

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven

PostSubject: Re: Surviving Experince   Surviving Experince Icon_minitimeFri 27 May 2011 - 9:14

Grimscull wrote:
Which one is that: I declare to shoot my bow at a stunned model and it's ooa automatically? Or another one? (just asking to make sure I don't play anything wrong myself)

Yepp, that's what he means. That is NOT how it should be played though. A declared shot at a stunned model still needs to hit, to wound and injury roll.
Back to top Go down
smokezombie
Warlord
Warlord
smokezombie

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: Surviving Experince   Surviving Experince Icon_minitimeFri 27 May 2011 - 11:13

We play a little diffferently on that one. In regards to shooting you allways have to roll to hit, if a stunned mini is hit than auto ooa, if a knocked down mini is hit than roll to wound and if wound is recieved than auto ooa. Though when I think about it it feels like an armour save should be allowed for a stunned mini.

Quote :
That is NOT how it should be played though. A declared shot at a stunned model still needs to hit, to wound and injury roll.
Is this covered in the rulebook (and I missed it), is it a rules review clarification or am I just slow Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Schoel
Knight
Knight
Schoel

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Surviving Experince   Surviving Experince Icon_minitimeFri 27 May 2011 - 11:43

Quote :
Is this covered in the rulebook (and I missed it), is it a rules review clarification or am I just slow Embarassed

It is covered by the rulebook. The rules for Auto-OOA are declared under the rules for Close combat, not Shooting. The section for "Warriors stunned" p. 21 of the LRB explicitly mentions "hand-to-hand combat". Even though the section for "Warriors knocked down" doesn't, I think it's safe to assume that they also only cover hand-to-hand combat (they are listed under Close Combat!).
The shooting section has no similar sections so the normal rules for hitting, wounding and injuring should apply.
Back to top Go down
smokezombie
Warlord
Warlord
smokezombie

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: Surviving Experince   Surviving Experince Icon_minitimeFri 27 May 2011 - 17:38

Wow... and everyone plays like that ( except me? )?
I'm not sure I'm going to be able to convince my group on this one. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
WarbossKurgan
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
WarbossKurgan

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Surviving Experince   Surviving Experince Icon_minitimeFri 27 May 2011 - 17:44

It's to stop all shooting warbands from becoming all powerful warbands! They take less risk to kill the enemy so they have to work harder for it.

On the original topic, yes they get the experience if the don't die in the after-game injury sequence. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.flameon.co.uk
BalrogTheBuff
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
BalrogTheBuff

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Surviving Experince   Surviving Experince Icon_minitimeFri 27 May 2011 - 18:01

I always thought the 1 exp for surviving was more to represent the little things and minor scuffles and exploration they do inbetween battles. Mordheim is not a nice place and I doubt they get much peace and quiet when not in major fights.

I was going to use this in my map-based campaign (which I never got good enough to be usable) to be instead of just surviving it was 1 exp per turn.
Back to top Go down
BlacKnight
Youngblood
Youngblood
BlacKnight

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: Surviving Experince   Surviving Experince Icon_minitimeFri 27 May 2011 - 18:15

Thanks for answering my question, and for the insight into shooting stunned models. I had interpreted that wrong as well. I was just going to have them shoot, hit, OOA, but I agree, that makes shooting warbands just a tad too powerful. In one of my latest games I was able to win by the third turn without even getting into combat just by taking out a few with some well placed crossbow bolts. No reason to make winning easier Wink

Balrog, that sounds interesting. Are you saying +1exp per turn of a battle? Or per campaign turn? If it was per battle, those heroes would get pretty beefy pretty quick.

Again, thanks for answering my exp question. You saved the other players from a Mordheim-Hardcore version of the game. Smile
Back to top Go down
BalrogTheBuff
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
BalrogTheBuff

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Surviving Experince   Surviving Experince Icon_minitimeFri 27 May 2011 - 19:15

Sorry Map Turn, not battle turn!!! So even if it was a boring turn you still got to have something happen.
Back to top Go down
Schoel
Knight
Knight
Schoel

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Surviving Experince   Surviving Experince Icon_minitimeSat 28 May 2011 - 2:04

smokezombie wrote:
Wow... and everyone plays like that ( except me? )?
I'm not sure I'm going to be able to convince my group on this one. Embarassed

I must admit that we played the way you do for quite some time. But back then we also played that the number of attacks is the number of times you could shoot in the shooting phase Smile We didn't read the rules very carefully the first year or so! That was around 12 years ago or so, and I think we now have figured out the rules Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Surviving Experince   Surviving Experince Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Surviving Experince
Page 1 of 1