Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Dwarf Treasure Hunters--Help!

Go down 
+8
Lord 0
MyLittlePwny
Mike
smokezombie
DRD1812
Delectable Tea
StyrofoamKing
JPRoth1980
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Lord 0
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Lord 0

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: none

dwarf - Dwarf Treasure Hunters--Help! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Treasure Hunters--Help!   dwarf - Dwarf Treasure Hunters--Help! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 9 Jun 2011 - 4:22

1/ We have not been using Dodge. A: It is against RAW - Dodge only allows you to dodge missile weapon attacks and these are equipment, not missile weapons. B: Dodging a grenade is kinda silly. I don't think moving a step or two to the side would make a lot of difference how badly you were hit.

2. There is no FAQ anywhere that I am aware of. In Mordheim everything is assumed to not be exhausted unless the rules say they are. Anything that only lasts for one battle and is then gone is very clearly said so. "there is enough for just one use", "There is enough to supply the warband for one battle only", "In either case, the net is lost" etc. Very unambiguous. Whereas flash-powder just says "one use during the battle", nothing about it being only one battle or just that battle or anything like that. Also, look at the pricing of it. Caltrops are better and cheaper by almost *half* whereas Hunting arrows are replenished, Healing Herbs are replenished, and Flash Powder is replenished and all of these are in the 20-30 gold bracket whereas one-shot-wonders are in the 5-15 bracket, heck they are as cheap as 1 gold if you include garlic.

I think the most telling thing though, is the fact that even with its replenishing, it is still not something you buy and put on every heroes - it just isn't that good. Depending on the warband people will usually buy 1-3 at the most and generally put them only on those that really need it and even then they are generally lower on the list to buy than a lot of other stuff. I think if we ruled that flash-powder was a one use ever item we would stop getting it at all.

As a matter of fact, just recently we realised that it said that only *poisons* were one-use and not drugs too so we are thinking of experimenting with what happens when you make drugs replenishable as well. It should be good because at the moment, noone buys them ever.
Back to top Go down
StyrofoamKing
Etheral
Etheral
StyrofoamKing

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Treasure Hunters--Help!   dwarf - Dwarf Treasure Hunters--Help! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 9 Jun 2011 - 5:53

Lord 0 wrote:
1/ We have not been using Dodge. A: It is against RAW - Dodge only allows you to dodge missile weapon attacks and these are equipment, not missile weapons. B: Dodging a grenade is kinda silly. I don't think moving a step or two to the side would make a lot of difference how badly you were hit.

I disagree. I may have never served, but if you drop to the ground faster than the person next to you, odds are you'll fare better than he did. All about jumping into a ditch.

As for slayers, in the Slayer warband I'm working on, they can use only thrown weapons. It's a matter of their strength, rather than using wussy arrows and what not. If it's macho, they will look the other way.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/styroheim/
Lord 0
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Lord 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Treasure Hunters--Help!   dwarf - Dwarf Treasure Hunters--Help! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 9 Jun 2011 - 8:03

*Shrug* Each to their own. We are using what works for us, but if we later decide that you need to be able to use Dodge against fire bombs then we will doubtless steal your rationalisation. I have no qualms whatsoever when it comes to bending flavour to fit the most fun interpretation Smile.

To be honest, I wouldn't object to slayers using throwing axes either. I might have to think of throwing knives as throwing hatchets or something though Razz .
Back to top Go down
zephyr40k
Warrior
Warrior

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Treasure Hunters--Help!   dwarf - Dwarf Treasure Hunters--Help! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 28 Jun 2011 - 10:08

I played a Dwarf warband a couple of years ago in a Mordheim campaign, and they did well and were lots of fun. I found that if you kept the group together they would form something of a bowling ball and smash their way through the opposition, but if they got spread out, you were screwed. Though a couple of quarrelers to cover the advance is good.

I found caltrops were very useful for dwarves. When someone tries to charge you, you throw the caltrops, stopping them within range of your charge the next turn.

I didn't bother investing in the gromril or mithril weapons or armor, as it just handicapped a starting warband too much. The dwarves start slow in a campaign but once they got a few uogrades under their belts they were a serious force to be reckoned with.

Oh, and for some extra difficulty, I decided my dwarf warband would be all female. Was quite a pain to source the models, but it worked out great in the end. For example, I used this model for my Engineer, with her Brace of Pistols she was quite a hit:

http://www.amazon.com/Hasslefree-Miniatures-Pirates-female-pistolier/dp/B002DCVTQM
Back to top Go down
Evilmarmot
Warrior
Warrior
Evilmarmot

PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Treasure Hunters--Help!   dwarf - Dwarf Treasure Hunters--Help! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 5 Jul 2011 - 22:41

Douchebag tactic!
cheap heroes (an engineer ofcourse)
thunderer crossbow 1 club and keep them coming!
Then later add moore and moore handguns and then moore "HW's
Maybe beardlings standing infron of your thunderers from being charged then charge using a 2HW to get the strike first!
Ofcours not a fun but still good tactic!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Treasure Hunters--Help!   dwarf - Dwarf Treasure Hunters--Help! - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dwarf Treasure Hunters--Help!
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2