Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Beastman Minotaur Weapon Selection

Go down 
+4
mrtn
Murray145
DRD1812
Rhoaran
8 posters

Which weapon option?
Halberd
Beastman Minotaur Weapon Selection Vote_lcap60%Beastman Minotaur Weapon Selection Vote_rcap
 60% [ 9 ]
Great Axe
Beastman Minotaur Weapon Selection Vote_lcap20%Beastman Minotaur Weapon Selection Vote_rcap
 20% [ 3 ]
Axe & Chains (works like sword)
Beastman Minotaur Weapon Selection Vote_lcap13%Beastman Minotaur Weapon Selection Vote_rcap
 13% [ 2 ]
Other
Beastman Minotaur Weapon Selection Vote_lcap7%Beastman Minotaur Weapon Selection Vote_rcap
 7% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 15

AuthorMessage
Rhoaran
Champion
Champion
Rhoaran

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Beastmen (EIF) Beastmen (EIF)
Achievements earned: none

Beastman Minotaur Weapon Selection Empty
PostSubject: Beastman Minotaur Weapon Selection   Beastman Minotaur Weapon Selection Icon_minitimeWed 18 May 2011 - 18:13

Hello,

I'm putting together a beastmen band. They seem to be a strong choice with their speed, toughness, numbers, and diversity. I'll work on my gaming group to let me use javelins on the ungors.

Equipping the minotaur presents a conundrum. I see three strong options for weapons.

1) Halberd. High strength and great initiative makes this a great option. My group made them viable weapons in general when we gave them 'First Strike' and upped their cost. We didn't take into account powerhouses like minotaurs when we made that rule, so I don't know if it is too strong to be fun.
2) Great axe. Str 6 hits will surely make a mess of his opponents. But it doesn't take advantage of his good initiative and leaves him exposed to retaliation.
3) Axe & chains (works like sword). The Avatars of War model with the flail is so amazing that it would be fun to use. Parry and +1 attack is good, but we house ruled that two weapon fighting suffers a -1 to hit. I don't think its better to add the attack but take the penalty.

You see my problem. All three present viable options, but which one would you go with and why. Thanks.

Also, I'm looking for some models and bits if you could help me out.
https://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/t5309-need-items-for-beastmen-witch-hunters-buy-or-trade
Back to top Go down
DRD1812
Warlord
Warlord
DRD1812

PostSubject: Re: Beastman Minotaur Weapon Selection   Beastman Minotaur Weapon Selection Icon_minitimeWed 18 May 2011 - 19:02

If you're playing with the -1 to hit rule for dual wielding, you don't want to go that route...especially on a model that already has 3 attacks. Likewise, your large models tend to get mobbed by multiple opponents. After you get the initial charge with your high movement, you get counter-charged by A LOT of guys, meaning you don't want to "strike last" with a great weapon. The halberd seems like your best option, especially with your house rule.

Of course, that's assuming you're out for blood and victory. If you've got a cool axe and chain model it might be worthwhile for the aesthetics alone. Do you have pics of that guy?

Last edited by DRD1812 on Wed 18 May 2011 - 23:09; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rhoaran
Champion
Champion
Rhoaran

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Beastman Minotaur Weapon Selection   Beastman Minotaur Weapon Selection Icon_minitimeWed 18 May 2011 - 19:17

http://www.avatars-of-war.com/eng/web/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=14&Itemid=60

Tons of great models in this range. Beastman stuff is in the middle.

The great axe minotaur could easily be a halberd too. I could extend the handle a little and add chains just for fun.
Back to top Go down
Murray145
Veteran
Veteran
Murray145

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

PostSubject: Re: Beastman Minotaur Weapon Selection   Beastman Minotaur Weapon Selection Icon_minitimeThu 19 May 2011 - 6:00

I'd go for Great Weapon, sure he might be a bit slow but the benefits are a Str 6 hit(s).
Back to top Go down
mrtn
General
General
mrtn

PostSubject: Re: Beastman Minotaur Weapon Selection   Beastman Minotaur Weapon Selection Icon_minitimeThu 19 May 2011 - 12:04

I went with a halberd for my mino and don't regret it.
Back to top Go down
folketsfiende
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
folketsfiende

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Beastman Minotaur Weapon Selection   Beastman Minotaur Weapon Selection Icon_minitimeThu 19 May 2011 - 12:26

Definitely halberd. Strength 5 is almost always good enough. Should you ever need more, give a hero the strongman skill as soon as possible, and a great weapon.
Back to top Go down
BalrogTheBuff
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
BalrogTheBuff

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Beastman Minotaur Weapon Selection   Beastman Minotaur Weapon Selection Icon_minitimeThu 19 May 2011 - 18:04

But S 6 can prevent a lot of parries early on in a campaign. So I would base it on your friends' choices. If they are all Orcs, Dwarfs or Mercs go for the Great Axe I would think. 2+ to wound and ignoring their feeble attempts to parry is fun. But S5 and hitting first or on-par is more useful if they don't use a lot of parry I'd say. Too bad they can't have a flail!
Back to top Go down
smokezombie
Warlord
Warlord
smokezombie

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: Beastman Minotaur Weapon Selection   Beastman Minotaur Weapon Selection Icon_minitimeThu 19 May 2011 - 18:19

Halberd for me please.
Back to top Go down
Rhoaran
Champion
Champion
Rhoaran

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Beastman Minotaur Weapon Selection   Beastman Minotaur Weapon Selection Icon_minitimeThu 19 May 2011 - 20:37

BalrogTheBuff wrote:
But S 6 can prevent a lot of parries early on in a campaign. So I would base it on your friends' choices. If they are all Orcs, Dwarfs or Mercs go for the Great Axe I would think. 2+ to wound and ignoring their feeble attempts to parry is fun. But S5 and hitting first or on-par is more useful if they don't use a lot of parry I'd say. Too bad they can't have a flail!

I wish they could have a flail because I would look amazing.
Back to top Go down
Grimscull
Etheral
Etheral
Grimscull

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Beastman Minotaur Weapon Selection   Beastman Minotaur Weapon Selection Icon_minitimeThu 19 May 2011 - 21:32

Buy both the halberd and great axe and equip the mino before each game according to your next opponent. Great axe against T4 stuff like other beastmen, orcs, possessed, lizardmen and dwarfs. Halberd against the rest.
Back to top Go down
Rhoaran
Champion
Champion
Rhoaran

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Beastman Minotaur Weapon Selection   Beastman Minotaur Weapon Selection Icon_minitimeThu 19 May 2011 - 21:44

Grimscull wrote:
Buy both the halberd and great axe and equip the mino before each game according to your next opponent. Great axe against T4 stuff like other beastmen, orcs, possessed, lizardmen and dwarfs. Halberd against the rest.

Now why had I not thought of that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Beastman Minotaur Weapon Selection   Beastman Minotaur Weapon Selection Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Beastman Minotaur Weapon Selection
Page 1 of 1