Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

modelling putty??

Go down 
+3
drakkol
Eliazar
mavfire
7 posters
AuthorMessage
mavfire
Hero
Hero
mavfire

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Bretonnians (Unofficial) Bretonnians (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: none

modelling putty?? Empty
PostSubject: modelling putty??   modelling putty?? Icon_minitimeFri 13 May 2011 - 3:25

OK, I have searched this amazing site for a few days and read a ton of tutorials, but can someone please describe the differences in the modelling mediums out there. (ie. Greenstuff, Milliput, Apoxie sculpt etc).

In the US Greenstuff is like $15 for a mere dab. I am looking to do some modelling and would like something comparable to greenstuff, but at half (or less the cost)...

Also, it wouldnt be a bad idea to post somthing on the differences in the mediums, what each can do, is best for etc...

Thanks in advance, and awaiting your expertise!
Back to top Go down
Eliazar
Etheral
Etheral
Eliazar

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)

modelling putty?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: modelling putty??   modelling putty?? Icon_minitimeFri 13 May 2011 - 8:46

I can't really say much about milliput and apoxe, but as far as I know, ProCreate is a cheaper alternative to Greenstuff. It is a little harder to work out finest details, but apart from that, they should be really similar.
Back to top Go down
drakkol
Ancient
Ancient
drakkol

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

modelling putty?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: modelling putty??   modelling putty?? Icon_minitimeFri 13 May 2011 - 9:03

Order green stuff in England... I live in Italy and i've received for 15€ (shipping fees included) something like 90cm (35 inches) of GS.
Brown stuff is a nice alternative but i don't know the price (i've never bought that, a friend gave me a small amount).It has a finer grain, it's easier to cut and it's better for sharp edges.

Milliput has different mechanical properties (characteristics) but dirties your hands and tools.

Super sculpey is similar to clay (in fact is a polymeric clay)...you could use it only to sculp complete models as it needs to be cooked (plastic models aren't happy to be at 130°C for 15-30 minutes!). The good thing is you can work on it for weeks before cook it and it doesn't harden.

I prefere GS, BS and SS...which are clean putties,but the last one doesn't work well for modifications on minis
First time i used milliput and thought it was awsome...then tried GS an it was better...then BS and did the same...but now i use every putty for a different purpose. Milliput and similar to define volumes, GS and BS for details.
But which is the best thing for you? You're the only one who can decide...just take a test.

my 2 cents

PS:look at this
or this
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Drakkols-workshop/294017540629240
Captain Bernhardt
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Captain Bernhardt

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

modelling putty?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: modelling putty??   modelling putty?? Icon_minitimeFri 13 May 2011 - 10:59

I got mine here: http://www.gf9.com/store/index.php?cPath=36

ordered mine thorugh maelstrom but they don't seem to stock it anymore
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

modelling putty?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: modelling putty??   modelling putty?? Icon_minitimeFri 13 May 2011 - 13:16

I hope you don't mind that I moved your thread to the Painting & Modeling section: re, things tend to get ignored in General Discussion; you'll get more feedback here. What a Face

My own humble sculpting is mostly with plumber's epoxy & Milliput. I don't do the really fine detailing that would require G.S. or B.S.. clown
Back to top Go down
mavfire
Hero
Hero
mavfire

Personal Info

modelling putty?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: modelling putty??   modelling putty?? Icon_minitimeFri 13 May 2011 - 16:00

wow, thank you all ofr replies...I will try ordering it from overseas, and see if there is a diff in price....

I have used GS before and found it to be great. The cost is what holds me back right now...I have also tried plumber 2 part, and squadren tube putty (which kinda sucks).

Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
Ordo Septenarius
Warlord
Warlord
Ordo Septenarius

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

modelling putty?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: modelling putty??   modelling putty?? Icon_minitimeFri 13 May 2011 - 18:48

I live in the US, and this is what I use:

http://www.thewarstore.com/product18832.html

You get a TON and it's super-cheap — and the chemical break down of this and GreenStuff are exactly the same.

Back to top Go down
Mr.chair
Warlord
Warlord
Mr.chair

modelling putty?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: modelling putty??   modelling putty?? Icon_minitimeSun 22 May 2011 - 9:28

Green stuff really can't be beat in quality. There are a number of places you cn find it for relatively cheap. As an alternative you can use milliput or Aves apoxy sculpt to do work that doesn't require fine detail. I usually use it to build up miniatures I am making from scratch and then use green stuff for the outer layers and details.
Back to top Go down
mavfire
Hero
Hero
mavfire

Personal Info

modelling putty?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: modelling putty??   modelling putty?? Icon_minitimeSun 22 May 2011 - 12:07

I ended up finding 100g (two blobs the size of sidewalk chalk!!!!) of it for $18.00 US shipping included....that is a heck of a deal...thanks a bunch for your help...I shall be putting it to good use now.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

modelling putty?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: modelling putty??   modelling putty?? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

modelling putty??
Page 1 of 1