Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

mavfire's underground

Go down 
+3
smokezombie
mrtn
mavfire
7 posters
AuthorMessage
mavfire
Hero
Hero
mavfire

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Bretonnians (Unofficial) Bretonnians (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: none

mavfire's underground Empty
PostSubject: mavfire's underground   mavfire's underground Icon_minitimeFri 6 May 2011 - 15:46

Originally posted some pics of these modular dungeons with some of my mini's and more pics of the tiles were requested. Here they are. Hope you enjoy, comments are most welcome.

(Miniature included for scale)

I use either 2" or 1" pink polystyrene on 1/2" plywood for stability. Plywood is cut to 12"x12" gives a nice managable size to work with. Block/stone work is drawn on with ballpoint pen (painstakingly) and all hand created then a good thick black latex paint is applied to the entire thing. Then the walls are drybrushed. The floor tiles are cereal boxes, I cut them in varying strips and then just nip the size tiles I wish, then lay them out and glue them, I work a small spot at a time with watered down elmers (pva) glue. Then they too are dry brushed.

This is the first 9 modules I created. There are more in the works.
mavfire's underground DSCF2337

This is the "green tile" room, tried for a marbled/glassy look. I hope it worked.
mavfire's underground DSCF2339

Few more looks at the "green tile" room. You will notice that the outside walls are textured to look like block as well, that is so that I can end passages into them giving a realistic "dead" end to a corridor.
mavfire's underground DSCF2341

mavfire's underground DSCF2342

mavfire's underground DSCF2343

mavfire's underground DSCF2344

Here is a corner section. I tried to work on getting the torch on the wall to reflect the "glow" onto the wall and floor. Achieved slightly.
mavfire's underground DSCF2345

mavfire's underground DSCF2346

This shot is a good representation of the stonework on the "outside" of the tile. I would just butt another tile to it and end a corridor or room.
mavfire's underground DSCF2348

Here is a cave/collapse section. I went with a brown theme anywhere that bare earth was shown. Again the stone tile floor continues into this area, so that it meshes up well with the other modules.
mavfire's underground DSCF2349

The stalactites are egg carton (cardboard). Stones are...Stones. I use a hot knife to carve/cut the polystyrene to shape. The cutter runs on two "D" sized batteries and can be bought at most craft stores or online.
mavfire's underground DSCF2350

This pic is a good shot of the edges "outside" the tiles. I found that if I didnt extend the "stonework" around the corners, it didnt look realistic when two tiles butted up against eachother.
mavfire's underground DSCF2351

More to come....

Back to top Go down
mavfire
Hero
Hero
mavfire

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: mavfire's underground   mavfire's underground Icon_minitimeFri 6 May 2011 - 16:00

Continued...

Here is a pic of a straight corridor with two doors. I rather like the way this one plays. The small alcoves work as either closets (when butted against an outside wall) or as a nice transition when joined with a corridor or room.
mavfire's underground DSCF2353

The doors are WIP.
mavfire's underground DSCF2354

I tried to vary the different types of stonework too. That accomplised two things...One I didnt get bored drawing all of those stones, and two it creates a feel of many years of work by different stone masons...
mavfire's underground DSCF2355

mavfire's underground DSCF2357

Here is a good shot showing different stonework walls. Also a good shot of the "alcove" doorways.
mavfire's underground DSCF2359

This one is a cross roads, where two straight corridors could meet, I gave it a unique "earthy" feel. Maybe the dwarves were digging one way, and the humans the other, and when they met up there was a giant skirmish here.
mavfire's underground DSCF2360

mavfire's underground DSCF2361

mavfire's underground DSCF2362

I wanted to show where the walls met up, the square stonework and the fieldstone, as well as where the tiles met earth.
mavfire's underground DSCF2368

Here is a T section. I collapsed some of the wall and carved the blocks out of polystyrene. To show that the blocks are deep if you look closely at the hole they fell out of there are blocks hinted at there as well. Several floor tiles were chipped when those heavy blocks fell too.
mavfire's underground DSCF2370

All for now...wife is bugging me to go. I will post more sometime this week, hope you enjoyed and got some inspiration. ta-ta.

Back to top Go down
mrtn
General
General
mrtn

PostSubject: Re: mavfire's underground   mavfire's underground Icon_minitimeFri 6 May 2011 - 16:49

Looking very nice, good work! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
smokezombie
Warlord
Warlord
smokezombie

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: mavfire's underground   mavfire's underground Icon_minitimeFri 6 May 2011 - 17:34

These are really nice. Great job on the floor where the blocks fell and smashed some tiles, in fact I like the way you've done the floor throughout.
Doing the outside of the modules and the edges of the cave colapse section shows good attention to detail.
Show us a wip of the bottom right module please, it looks interesting....don't be shy now Very Happy
Any plansfor a "feature" room?
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: mavfire's underground   mavfire's underground Icon_minitimeFri 6 May 2011 - 18:59

VERY NICE! This is the sort of terrain everyone whose gone crawling through the Underdark envisions. I especially like the transition from natural tunnels to the man-made sections. BEAUTIFULLY MODELED & PAINTED! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
dr. willett's workshop
Champion
Champion
dr. willett's workshop

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

PostSubject: Re: mavfire's underground   mavfire's underground Icon_minitimeFri 6 May 2011 - 19:27

Good job, I like the painting on the tiles (first picture).
Back to top Go down
http://drwillettsworkshop.co.uk
mavfire
Hero
Hero
mavfire

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: mavfire's underground   mavfire's underground Icon_minitimeFri 6 May 2011 - 21:05

Thanks for the comments, I will try and do some WIP too as I get going again.

Here are some more.....(sorry some are blurry)

This is the T corridor with the fallen blocks, just more detail....
mavfire's underground DSCF2372

And from reverse...
mavfire's underground DSCF2373

A square room.... Not totally finished yet
mavfire's underground DSCF2374

More of the square room showing wall detail where the masons merged fieldstone with block.
mavfire's underground DSCF2375

Here is the WIP of the lower right....Hope it is ok for this thread....
mavfire's underground DSCF2380

A little detail of the "toothpick" grates, and stonework.
mavfire's underground DSCF2385

This pic looks in from the "outside". I plan on bending some of the portcullis bars and filling the area with a water effect.
mavfire's underground DSCF2387

This shows good detail of the "channel" I actually got the router out for this one and routed out the trough about 1/4" deep. The black edging is foamcore with one paper edge pulled off and bricks cut into it.
mavfire's underground DSCF2388

Here is a detail pic of the "pool/fountain", I had to raise it up so that it would fit into and above the floor of another corridor module. I think I will put a statue in the center of it and fill it with water effect.
mavfire's underground DSCF2389

Another pic of the pool, this time with another modular peice butted up to it.
mavfire's underground DSCF2390

Here is the stack of plywood for the next 18 modules.
mavfire's underground DSCF2391

I just realized I have a ton of work left to do.

Thanks for looking, as always comments welcome.
Back to top Go down
SerialMoM
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
SerialMoM

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

PostSubject: Re: mavfire's underground   mavfire's underground Icon_minitimeSat 7 May 2011 - 22:53

This is a very nice project.

I love the caverns.

The other tiles i like too, but i think they are too "clean". The broken wall is a very nice detail.

Keep up the good work
Back to top Go down
mavfire
Hero
Hero
mavfire

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: mavfire's underground   mavfire's underground Icon_minitimeSun 8 May 2011 - 12:10

Thanks, but expand on "too clean"...I know I didnt put in alot of debris, but I didnt want to detract from where models could stand....Plus I have plans to make "filler" if you will, with crates, barrels, junk...

Thanks for looking.
Back to top Go down
folketsfiende
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
folketsfiende

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: mavfire's underground   mavfire's underground Icon_minitimeMon 9 May 2011 - 10:53

That's looking pretty darn good, I'd say. Sure, you might have a ton of work left to do, but you've done lots as well! Let's hope you will have the energy to proceed, because I would very much like to see the rest done.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: mavfire's underground   mavfire's underground Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

mavfire's underground
Page 1 of 1