Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Lothern Seaguard

Go down 
+6
shotguncoffee
BalrogTheBuff
StyrofoamKing
Lord 0
werekin
Murray145
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Murray145
Veteran
Veteran
Murray145

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs
Achievements earned: none

Lothern Seaguard Empty
PostSubject: Lothern Seaguard   Lothern Seaguard Icon_minitimeSun 1 May 2011 - 7:26

Lothern Seaguard HE+-+Lothern+Seaguard

The fleets of the Lothern navy guard the coasts of Eataine, but they also range far and wide, sailing every ocean of the world and patrolling the sea-lanes for the enemies of the Elven people.

Choice of Warriors:

A Lothern Seaguard warband must include a minimum of 3 models. You have 500 Gold Crowns which you can use to recruit and equip your warband. The maximum number of warriors in the warband is 15.

Commodore: Each Seaguard warband must be lead by a Commodore: no more, no less!
Mist Mage: Each Seaguard warband may have up to one Mist Mage.
Sea Rangers: Each Seaguard warband may have up to two Sea Rangers.
Sea Guard: Each Seaguard warband may have up to seven Sea Guard.
Mariner: Each Seaguard warband may have any number of Mariners.
Merwyrm: Each Seaguard warband may have up to one Merwyrm.

Special Rules:

Excellent Sight: Elves have eyesight unmatched by mere humans. The Seaguard spots Hidden enemies from two times as far away as other warriors (i.e., twice his Initiative value in inches).

Hate Dark Elves: All warriors in a Lothern Seaguard Warband (excluding any Hired Swords) have an unyielding Hatred for Dark Elves.

Distaste for Poison: The use of poisons and various drugs is a Dark Elf specialty.Warriors in a Lothern Seaguard Warband may not use poisons of any type.

Valor of Ages: Seaguard may re-roll one failed rout tests per game.

Starting Experience:

The Commodore starts with 20 experience.
Sea Rangers start with 12 experience each.
Mist Mage start with 8 experience each.
Henchmen start with 0 experience.

Lothern Seaguard Skills:

The Commodore may choose skills from the Combat, Shooting, Academic, Speed, or Special Skills.
Sea Rangers may choose skills from the Combat, Shooting, Speed or Special Skills.
The Mist Mage may choose skills from the Academic, Speed, or Special Skills.
Henchmen who have become heroes via the 'Lad's got Talent', that character may choose skills from the Combat or Shooting Skills.

Seaguard Equipment:

Hand-to-Hand Weapons:
-Daggers 1st free/ 2 gc
-Sword 10 gc
-Halberd 15 gc
-Spear 10 gc
-Double Handed Weapon 15 gc

Missile Weapons:
-Bow 10 gc
-Long Bow 15 gc
-Elf Bow 35 gc

Armor:
-Light Armor 20 gc
-Heavy Armor 50 gc
-Dragon Armor(*) 50 gc
-Ithilmar Armor(*) 90 gc
-Shield 5 gc

(*) = Heroes only, Henchmen who have become Heroes via 'Lad's got Talent' may not be equipped with this gear.

Special Equipment:

Dragon Armor; Dragon Armor counts as Heavy armor, this armor also gives the wearer a 6+ armor save against any hostile magic targeted at it, this armor save cannot be altered.

Heroes:

1 Commodore; 80 gold coins to hire.
M 5; Ws 5; Bs 4; S 3; T 3; W 1; I 5; A 1; Ld 8
Weapons/Armor: A Commodore may be equipped with weapons and armor from the Seaguard Equipment list.

Special Rules:

Leader: Any Seagaurd within 6" of the Commodore may use his Leadership characteristic when taking any Leadership tests.

0-1 Mist Mage; 50 gold coins to hire.
M 5; Ws 4; Bs 3; S 3; T 3; W 1; I 4; A 1; Ld 7
Weapons/Armor: A Mist Mage may be equipped with weapons and armor from the Seaguard Equipment list.

Special Rules:

Wizard: The Mist Mage is a wizard and may use the Lesser Magic list. In addition the Mist Mage must pick one of the following spells and then roll a d6 for the other spell.

-The Writhing Mist: This spell has a range of 24" and can be casted on any friendly model visible to the caster, even those engaged in hand-to-hand combat. Any enemy shooting or hand-to-hand combat attacks targeted at the effected model suffers a -1 to hit penalty. The Mist does not affect the attacks of the model it protects. Once casted, the Writhing Mist remains where it is until the model moves.
Cast on a 7+

-Mistress of the Deep: Place an appropriate (man-sized) model to represent the summoned Oceanid within 6" of the Mist Mage. This model may not move or preform any actions at all; it is to all intents and purposes an item of scenery rather than a model, and counts as open ground for the purposes of movement. When ever a enemy model wishes to fire upon or declare a charge against a unit within 6" of the Oceanid the model must take a LD test, if the test is failed the model is distracted by the Oceanid's haunting song. Models preforming a shooting attack suffer a -1 to hit modifier and models charging Strike Last.
Cast of a 9+

0-2 Sea Rangers; 55 Gold Coins to hire.
Weapons/Armor: Sea Rangers may be armed with weapons and armor from the Seaguard Equipment list.
M 5; Ws 4; Bs 5; S 3; T 3; W 1; I 4; A 1; Ld 7

Henchmen

0-7; Seaguard 35 Gold Coins to hire.
Weapons/Armor: Seaguard may be armed with weapons and armor from the Seaguard Equipment List.
M 5; Ws 4; Bs 4; S 3; T 3: W 1; I 4: A 1; Ld 7

0+; Mariner 25 gold to hire.
Weapons/Armor: Mariner may be armed with weapons and armor from the Seaguard Equipment List.
M 5; Ws 3; Bs 3; S 3; T 3; W 1; I 3; A 1; Ld 6

0-1; Merwyrm 150 Gold Coins to hire.
Weapons/Armor: Merwyrm are armed with vicious claws and teeth. They do not wear weapons or armor of any kind.
M 4; Ws 4; Bs -; S 4; T 4; W 2; I 4; A 2; Ld 5

Special Rules:

Animals: Merwyrm are animals and so do not gain experience.

Fear: Merwyrm are frightening creatures which cause Fear.

Large Target: Merwyrm are Large Targets as defined in the shooting rules.

Aquatic: Merwyrms suffer no movement penalties for moving through water based terrain features, instead their Movement is increased to 10, and they do not count as a Large Target when in the water.

Scaly Skin: Merwyrms are coated in thick scales granting him a 5+ armor save.

Seaguard Special Skills

Fey: Hostile magic spells will not affect the Elf on a D6 roll of 4+. This ability may be improved by +1 if the Elf is wearing Dragon Armor.

Luck: The Elf is blessed by Lileath, the Elven goddess of luck. Once per game he may re-roll any dice roll he makes (but not one made by other members of the warband).

Speed of Asuryan: The Elf with skill may use a double-handed weapon without the usual penalty of always striking last. Work out order of battle as you would with other weapons.

Martial Prowess: The elf is highly trained and is well discipline in combat, the Elf with this skill always strikes first in combat regardless of the weapon he is equipped with unless he is equipped with a double handed weapon. This Skill may be used in conjunction with Speed of Asuryan.

Last edited by Murray145 on Fri 6 May 2011 - 2:18; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
werekin
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
werekin

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Norse (Unofficial) Norse (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: None

Lothern Seaguard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lothern Seaguard   Lothern Seaguard Icon_minitimeSun 1 May 2011 - 10:30

Hi Murray145.

I'm working on a Sea Rangers warband list myself for the Marienburg campaign. Not meaning to p!ss on your parade, but I just thought I'd mention it.

The information you're tapping is the bare necessities from Storm of Chaos, where the Lothern Guard military force is described by comparison to a standard High Elf patrol.

I've gone deep with my research for the new warband. Sea Elf Rangers proxy as a regiment for Shadow Warriors in a pitched tabletop battle. I'm hoping to expose the nuances of elven sailors is a defined list for the rangers. If you are expressing an interest in the pointy-eared folk then I look forward to your feedback when these mariners sail forth to explore in the Mordheim system!

Regards,

Stu
Back to top Go down
https://libermalefic.blogspot.com/
Murray145
Veteran
Veteran
Murray145

Personal Info

Lothern Seaguard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lothern Seaguard   Lothern Seaguard Icon_minitimeSun 1 May 2011 - 21:30

Excuse that previous comment, I read your comment and wrote my response at like 5 o'clock in the morning and was extremely sleep deprived, now rereading your comment now I get it.

super sorry brah
Back to top Go down
Murray145
Veteran
Veteran
Murray145

Personal Info

Lothern Seaguard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lothern Seaguard   Lothern Seaguard Icon_minitimeSun 1 May 2011 - 21:40

And yes, I would love to see anything you've done for the elf folk.
Back to top Go down
Lord 0
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Lord 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

Lothern Seaguard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lothern Seaguard   Lothern Seaguard Icon_minitimeMon 2 May 2011 - 2:49

It looks like a pretty good list from what I can see - a pity it wasn't someone like you that designed the Shadow Elves Smile. Just a few design questions:

Is there any particular reason these elves don't mind using gunpowder? Other elves I have seen regard it as smelly and uncouth and I would have thought that *sea* elves in particular would have little use for it.

Your caster starts with a reasonable stat line *and* two spells *and* 0 xp. What makes him less powerful than other casters to warrant dropping the starting 8xp?

Is the Mariner intended to be a human or an elf? If he is a human that is fine, but if he is an elf he probably deserves having his M increased from 4 to 5.

What is the intent behind Martial Prowess? Do you use the modern 'Strikes First' charge rules or do you use the older ones?

The Merwyrm seems a little under-powered for its cost. If I were going against it, I would feel fine if it had either +1A and +1W, or maybe +1T, or possibly just reduced in price do 110 or 120 or something.
Back to top Go down
StyrofoamKing
Etheral
Etheral
StyrofoamKing

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)

Lothern Seaguard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lothern Seaguard   Lothern Seaguard Icon_minitimeMon 2 May 2011 - 4:34

Lord O: I agree with Murray, actually. When Master and I did our version of Lothern for Sartosa, we we'ren't sure what to do with the gunpowder at first... most elves despised such a thing, but Sartosa was a very powder heavy setting. So, this was our justification:

A Note on Blackpowder: Lothern Commodores have spent years watching the kingdoms of Man use Blackpowder weapons, and the feelings towards it vary from captain to captain. They do not start with access to Blackpowder of any kind, but there is no rule forbidding it. If you have an inquisitive hero with the Weapons Expert skill, he’s allowed to use any powder weapon he finds.

Thus, a heretical captain may choose to use blackpowder, but most will not.

The Patrol: I haven't had a chance to look over the band completely (to be honest, I hesitate to comment on any band that I've written a version of... any "advice" might steer your band to be too similar to my own, and that just leaves you with two bands that are practically carbon copies... no good from that.)

Hates Dark Elves: Unless I'm crazy, the "hating dark elf" thing is more of a Shadow Elf rule. In the Lothern Sea Patrol army, the only units that hated Dark Elves where the Rangers (as those are recruited from Nagarythe.

Leadership: In 5th Edition, the default Ld for Elves was 8. I don't suggest EVERY model start with Ld 8, but Ld 6 for the elite henchman seems a little low- 7, maybe? The "novices" could believably have 6 or 7, as they are young.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/styroheim/
Murray145
Veteran
Veteran
Murray145

Personal Info

Lothern Seaguard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lothern Seaguard   Lothern Seaguard Icon_minitimeMon 2 May 2011 - 19:38

Just to clear things up, Mariners are young elves who have joined the High Elf Navy.
Back to top Go down
Murray145
Veteran
Veteran
Murray145

Personal Info

Lothern Seaguard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lothern Seaguard   Lothern Seaguard Icon_minitimeMon 2 May 2011 - 19:46

And the reason I did not add black powder weapons is because I have never seen any elves using Black Powder Weapons, Not even in Man O'War, they used Ballistas and Reapter Bolt Throwers.
Back to top Go down
BalrogTheBuff
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
BalrogTheBuff

Personal Info

Lothern Seaguard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lothern Seaguard   Lothern Seaguard Icon_minitimeMon 2 May 2011 - 21:36

I would still allow them to use blackpowder IF they learn the weapons expert skill (or whatever it is). Also Mariners should still have 5 move as that is elf standard. Maybe if they are supposed to be very new give them a rule where they take all alone tests any turn they start 6" away or more from an ally, not just in combat? Elves have a lot more life to lose than humans after all... Maybe once they hit max exp or become a hero that goes away?
Back to top Go down
shotguncoffee
Warlord
Warlord
shotguncoffee

Lothern Seaguard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lothern Seaguard   Lothern Seaguard Icon_minitimeMon 10 Oct 2011 - 23:19

so where can i find your SG warband, werekin?
Back to top Go down
WarbossKurgan
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
WarbossKurgan

Personal Info

Lothern Seaguard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lothern Seaguard   Lothern Seaguard Icon_minitimeTue 11 Oct 2011 - 12:02

Murray145 wrote:
And the reason I did not add black powder weapons is because I have never seen any elves using Black Powder Weapons, Not even in Man O'War, they used Ballistas and Reapter Bolt Throwers.
Even in Dreadfleet the Elven ship only has Ballistas - it only does "crew damage" (rather than hull damage) as a result.
Very Happy

I really like the fact that you aren't saying they can't but they more often don't use black powder weapons. Leaves the options open for out-the-ordinary. pirat
Back to top Go down
http://www.flameon.co.uk
shotguncoffee
Warlord
Warlord
shotguncoffee

Lothern Seaguard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lothern Seaguard   Lothern Seaguard Icon_minitimeSun 8 Apr 2012 - 19:42

can it be true that almost a year later, werekin's warband is still unavaliable? ;(
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

Lothern Seaguard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lothern Seaguard   Lothern Seaguard Icon_minitimeSun 8 Apr 2012 - 20:24

I suspect Real Life.
Back to top Go down
RationalLemming
Etheral
Etheral
RationalLemming

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

Lothern Seaguard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lothern Seaguard   Lothern Seaguard Icon_minitimeMon 9 Apr 2012 - 0:07

I'd prefer a year or a few and have a well play tested warband that is balanced then having one that is released too early. I agree with you though that there has been very little movement on the LM /Mi front and I'm finding it hard to stay patient. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://sites.google.com/site/ourhouserules/mordheim
Lewis
Hero
Hero
Lewis

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pit Fighters (Unofficial) Pit Fighters (Unofficial)

Lothern Seaguard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lothern Seaguard   Lothern Seaguard Icon_minitimeFri 13 Apr 2012 - 17:54

The WS 5 on your commondore and BS 5 of the sea rangers seems too high for a starting warband - nobody else starts with such high stats? After a few games they could be BS/WS 6

What exactly are the drawbacks on these guys?
Back to top Go down
Murray145
Veteran
Veteran
Murray145

Personal Info

Lothern Seaguard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lothern Seaguard   Lothern Seaguard Icon_minitimeSun 17 Jun 2012 - 8:00

Expensive Heroes, if you purchase all 4 heroes it will cost you 240 gold which is almost half of your starting gold without the purchase of weapons and armor (a Mercenary Warband would have 5 heroes at the cost of 160 gold). Ontop of being expensive, they only have four heroes which mean their exploration will be lower than the average warband (i,e. Humans) who would have 5 heroes starting out.

Back to top Go down
Murray145
Veteran
Veteran
Murray145

Personal Info

Lothern Seaguard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lothern Seaguard   Lothern Seaguard Icon_minitimeSun 17 Jun 2012 - 8:04

Another weakness of this warband is the lack of 'hard' hitting ranged weaponry. They do not have easy access to Black-Powder Weapons or Crossbows, their range attacks will more than likely be Str 3.

So although skilled in combat, this Warband will more than likely have Str 3 attacks across the board (excluding characters with great weapons and magic)

Also their Wizard is a glorified Warlock (Hired Sword)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Lothern Seaguard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lothern Seaguard   Lothern Seaguard Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lothern Seaguard
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum :: General Discussion :: Rules and Gameplay-
Jump to: