Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Pirates of Cathay

Go down 
+13
5pointer
Maestrom
Scurvy Dog
werekin
SerialMoM
Ezekiel
WarbossKurgan
folketsfiende
Pfreck
Myntokk
DeafNala
Murray145
Eliazar
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Eliazar
Etheral
Etheral
Eliazar

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: none

cathay - Pirates of Cathay Empty
PostSubject: Pirates of Cathay   cathay - Pirates of Cathay Icon_minitimeSun 24 Apr 2011 - 18:44

It's holiday time again, which means that I have been working on a few more conversions... As some of you might know, I am looking into playing a game of warhammer or two, which means that I need to extend my existing two pirate warbands (Redbeards Crew and the River Strigany) - initially, I just wanted to do some handgunners and a hellblaster volley cannon, but the more I though about it, the more I found the time was right to work on some Cathayan pirates. The result of a weekend full of modelling (so much, in fact, that I didn't even get a chance to apply some greenstuff, yet) is what you can see below.

First, the Captain, Zheng Shenzhi - as you can see, I don't think Cathayans are interested in the firearms of the Old World (as the fluff of the Sartosa warband would suggest), but are rather far advanced in this area themselves. Usually, if you hit the gunpowder storage of a Pirate ship, it will explode. With the Cathayans, you get an explosion as soon as you shoot at one of the fighters.

cathay - Pirates of Cathay Cpt-wi10

Next, the first guy of a litte family reuinion - John You, nowadays called Lin Feng, father of the terror of the seas of the old world, Jack "Redbeard" Johnson. He went to Cathay with his fleet, taking his son with him, then they split up, and now as he is aged and his fleet got minced by the Cathayan Navy, he decided to join the crew of his old friend Zheng.

cathay - Pirates of Cathay John-w10

THen, we have some more heroes (yet unnamed). To the left, the second part of the big family meeting, Jiang Zhi, twin brother of Jiang Wei. Then two gun freaks, the one in the middle additionally armed with some grenades (as you can guess from his leg, he wasn't always that fortunate with them).

cathay - Pirates of Cathay Heroes10

Then, some swordsmen. They look a little weird as they are all former fishermen, but like most of the rural population of Cathay, they are trained in some martial art or other and thus use a variety of weapons and fighting styles with similar effects to the swordsmanship of the Old World.

cathay - Pirates of Cathay Crew-w10

THen, we have some gunners:

cathay - Pirates of Cathay Gunner10

A Cathayan Pirate Ogre (a must!)

cathay - Pirates of Cathay Cathog10

And, of course, the Hellblaster (yes, already invented in Cathay 500 years prior to the Academy of Nuln).

cathay - Pirates of Cathay Hellbl10

THere's still one hero missing, but he needs quite a lot of GS and doesn't look like much yet. However, I do have a sneak preview at a much larger project which should be revealed in the weeks to come, a Priest of Strohmfels, Shark God of the Pirates. The thing he is holding in his hands will become a hammerhead shark mace, holy weapon of the Temple of Strohmfels in Sartosa.

cathay - Pirates of Cathay Strohm10

C&C welcome Smile And thanks for bearing with all the text,
Back to top Go down
Murray145
Veteran
Veteran
Murray145

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

PostSubject: Re: Pirates of Cathay   cathay - Pirates of Cathay Icon_minitimeSun 24 Apr 2011 - 18:47

Your models look awesome, I especially like the Shields. I can't wait to see them painted!
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Pirates of Cathay   cathay - Pirates of Cathay Icon_minitimeSun 24 Apr 2011 - 19:27

VERY COOL LOOKING conversions...you're making the most of your free time. What a Face
Back to top Go down
Myntokk
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Myntokk

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: Pirates of Cathay   cathay - Pirates of Cathay Icon_minitimeSun 24 Apr 2011 - 20:32

Nice start to the warband, can't wait to see these guys painted up! If your previous pirates are any indication, this warband is going to be awesome!
Back to top Go down
Pfreck
Warlord
Warlord
Pfreck

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Pirates of Cathay   cathay - Pirates of Cathay Icon_minitimeTue 26 Apr 2011 - 10:26

Ah crap! Totally forgot to send you those Greatswords legs, I'm sorry man.. Sad

These fella's are looking awesome btw, really dig all the different characters - great choice of parts also. Now, paint them! Smile
Back to top Go down
http://pfreck.tumblr.com
Eliazar
Etheral
Etheral
Eliazar

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Pirates of Cathay   cathay - Pirates of Cathay Icon_minitimeTue 26 Apr 2011 - 15:08

Thanks for the comments, folks. There is a Japanese film festival going on this week in Frankfurt, so I don't know how much time I can spare, but hopefully, they will all be greenstuffed to be ready to get painted soon Very Happy

@Pfreck: Don't worry about the legs, as you can see, I still found a pair and the other projext got scrapped anyways due to the fact that I decided on converting a lot of new pirates Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
folketsfiende
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
folketsfiende

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Pirates of Cathay   cathay - Pirates of Cathay Icon_minitimeTue 26 Apr 2011 - 16:19

Wow! Looking good! You are a very creative fellow Eliazar. You seem to manage to make something different each time you kit bash - inspiring! There are so many good models I can't even bother to mention one. Gotta get going on my own Cathayan pirates soon, but there are so many other projects that I've embarked on... sigh. Well, soon summer is here, hopefully I'll be able to squeeze in a few weeks of modelling and painting then...
Back to top Go down
WarbossKurgan
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
WarbossKurgan

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Pirates of Cathay   cathay - Pirates of Cathay Icon_minitimeTue 26 Apr 2011 - 17:47

Lovely work so far!

Really looking forward to the tattoos that ogre MUST have! Cool
Back to top Go down
http://www.flameon.co.uk
Ezekiel
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Ezekiel

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Merchants (BTB) Merchants (BTB)

PostSubject: Re: Pirates of Cathay   cathay - Pirates of Cathay Icon_minitimeWed 27 Apr 2011 - 10:04

haha, love the hellblaster crew dude (with the beard)
and great to sse you pulling up a little army as well! Smile nice to play some big battles when the next meetup happens! Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.mysthconcepts.nl
SerialMoM
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
SerialMoM

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

PostSubject: Re: Pirates of Cathay   cathay - Pirates of Cathay Icon_minitimeThu 28 Apr 2011 - 19:14

Great and inspiring minis.

Hope you will not be dissappointed about playing Warhammer.

But with these minis it will be awesome.
Back to top Go down
werekin
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
werekin

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Norse (Unofficial) Norse (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Pirates of Cathay   cathay - Pirates of Cathay Icon_minitimeSun 1 May 2011 - 11:07

Blimey, you have been creative and productive in equal measures this week sir!

Might be a good idea if I was to complete the first draft of the 'other' pirate themed warband list I was talking about. Wink
Back to top Go down
https://libermalefic.blogspot.com/
Eliazar
Etheral
Etheral
Eliazar

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Pirates of Cathay   cathay - Pirates of Cathay Icon_minitimeWed 25 May 2011 - 15:36

Alright, long time no see, but with university, social life, and some other projects, I didn't really find the time to sit down and sculpt a lot... however, this all changed today, and I finally managed to almost complete the pirate conversions. Also, I got myself a new camera, so after another hour or so of additional GSing, I'll take some pictures for you before I undercoat them all and start painting Very Happy
Back to top Go down
WarbossKurgan
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
WarbossKurgan

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Pirates of Cathay   cathay - Pirates of Cathay Icon_minitimeWed 25 May 2011 - 17:34

Woop! Looking forward to that. pirat
Back to top Go down
http://www.flameon.co.uk
Eliazar
Etheral
Etheral
Eliazar

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Pirates of Cathay   cathay - Pirates of Cathay Icon_minitimeWed 25 May 2011 - 18:01

Ok, I noticed that I forgot to fix the shoulder of the one with the claw and that there's a picture of John missing (didn't really do much to him, so no worries), but apart from that, here they are ready to be undercoated (I didn't bother to bluetack the shield to the models):

First of, Cpt. with Ogre

cathay - Pirates of Cathay Cathog11

Heroes:

cathay - Pirates of Cathay Heroes11

Swordsmen:

cathay - Pirates of Cathay Swords10

Gunners:

cathay - Pirates of Cathay Gunner11

Volley Cannon Crew with silly hat engineer (ancient chinese people always wore silly hats, and that's the one I could find a decent picture of and which looked recreateable for tabletop):

cathay - Pirates of Cathay Volley10

After this wasn't too exciting, I still got two additions to the crew.

First of, Princess Sela:

cathay - Pirates of Cathay Sela-w10

And the one I was talking about earlier, Gan Ning.

Wikipedia wrote:
As a youth, Gan served under the warlord Liu Yan but revolted when the latter died. After his rebellion failed, he led a band of bandits carrying bows and crossbows to wander the lands. They wore bells about their waists and bone ornaments in their hair as a mark, causing commoners to either run or hide when they heard the ring of bells. He kept looting, robbing and killing until he decided to pursue scholarly arts.

cathay - Pirates of Cathay Gannin10

Once I find the time and manage to finish the other things, I'll give a wild haired version with bones instead of skulls a go, but for now, dreadlocks chaos dwarf style have to suffice Wink

I hope you like them, C&C appreciated. I will not immediately start painting them, as there is still one more model missing for my Strigany starting warband, and some Priests of the Empire are waiting in line already, too Wink Ah well, perhaps I'll paint a hero or two and check out the colour scheme... Can't resist Wink
Back to top Go down
Scurvy Dog
Youngblood
Youngblood
Scurvy Dog

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Pirates of Cathay   cathay - Pirates of Cathay Icon_minitimeWed 25 May 2011 - 19:19

Very nice miniatures you got there mate! Love the silly hat engineer, nice expression on his face too Smile

What about adding a large/fat crew member? I remember seeing one in PotC 3 as part of Sao Feng's crew..
Back to top Go down
Eliazar
Etheral
Etheral
Eliazar

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Pirates of Cathay   cathay - Pirates of Cathay Icon_minitimeWed 25 May 2011 - 19:40

I am already working on a fat guy for another warband, but you're right, he would fit very nicely. You can never have enough swordsmen! I need to check my random bits I brough to my university flat, my big bitzbox is at home, where I won't be until September, I think Smile

Perhaps I need to check out the PotC trilogy (and the new movie!) for some inspiration. Love your little guy (and will likely steal the idea at some stage Wink )
Back to top Go down
Maestrom
Hero
Hero
Maestrom

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: Pirates of Cathay   cathay - Pirates of Cathay Icon_minitimeWed 25 May 2011 - 20:07

Fantastic conversions and kit bashes here.

I shall likely be making a few 40k pirates soon to go with a red corsair
I made, shall be stealing a few ideas from this thread when I do Smile
Back to top Go down
Scurvy Dog
Youngblood
Youngblood
Scurvy Dog

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Pirates of Cathay   cathay - Pirates of Cathay Icon_minitimeWed 25 May 2011 - 20:53

Haha that's great! looking forward to your edition of him Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Pirates of Cathay   cathay - Pirates of Cathay Icon_minitimeWed 25 May 2011 - 21:34

You're developing a real feel for the exotic with your pirates. EXCELLENT WORK! thumbsup
Note: we Ancients do love our silly hats. clown
Back to top Go down
5pointer
Elder
Elder
5pointer

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

PostSubject: Re: Pirates of Cathay   cathay - Pirates of Cathay Icon_minitimeThu 26 May 2011 - 20:11

A warband featuring a historic figure (and character in Romance of the Three Kingdoms) such as Gan Ning is a winner with me!

Looking forward to seeing some colours on these guys!
Back to top Go down
folketsfiende
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
folketsfiende

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Pirates of Cathay   cathay - Pirates of Cathay Icon_minitimeFri 27 May 2011 - 10:08

Gan Ning looks great, both the hair and the great weapon. What's your plan for princess Sela? Would be nice with some pics from different angles!
Back to top Go down
Eliazar
Etheral
Etheral
Eliazar

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Pirates of Cathay   cathay - Pirates of Cathay Icon_minitimeFri 27 May 2011 - 11:59

I can take some pics from different angles. Princess Sela is supposed to stay as she is, I swapped her hair with a bandana (looks a little better now after filing it down, though I might need to improve it a little more still) and exchanged the witch elf dagger for a cutlass, that's pretty much all I wanted to do with her. She'll be either Cabin Girl, Swordswoman, or something completely different once a couple more Marienburg warbands are finished Wink

And thanks for the comments everyone.
Back to top Go down
Delectable Tea
Knight
Knight
Delectable Tea

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Sisters of Sigmar Sisters of Sigmar

PostSubject: Re: Pirates of Cathay   cathay - Pirates of Cathay Icon_minitimeFri 27 May 2011 - 12:35

5pointer wrote:
A warband featuring a historic figure (and character in Romance of the Three Kingdoms) such as Gan Ning is a winner with me!

Looking forward to seeing some colours on these guys!

I second that, 'Three Kingdoms:A Historical Novel' is among my top pieces of literature, only second to George R.R. Martin's Song of Fire and Ice series (Also a great source of mature fantasy inspiration!). There is a wealth of awesome character ideas you could rob from both!

@Eliazar: These are some really great minis you've crafted here, you should be proud!! Looking forward to seeing them painted up.
Back to top Go down
Eliazar
Etheral
Etheral
Eliazar

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Pirates of Cathay   cathay - Pirates of Cathay Icon_minitimeMon 2 Apr 2012 - 15:01

Hey hey. While I am currently studying abroad without having been able to take my paints, I did create an additional warrior for the crew - a "cianty style" warrior monk that can be used with the Pirates of Cathay rules of the Sartosa supplement:

cathay - Pirates of Cathay Monkwi10
Back to top Go down
Lemariont
Warrior
Warrior
Lemariont

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: Pirates of Cathay   cathay - Pirates of Cathay Icon_minitimeFri 27 Apr 2012 - 11:40

Are awesome the ideas for this type of warband, miniatures modelling is so good!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pirates of Cathay   cathay - Pirates of Cathay Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pirates of Cathay
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next