HomeFAQSearchRegisterUsergroupsBlogLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Share | 

Omens of War

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
werekin
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Norse (Unofficial) Norse (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Omens of War   Fri 15 Apr 2011 - 14:56

I came across some interesting rules in a preview from the forthcoming Warhammer Roleplay release 'Omens of War' by Fantasy Flight Games.

The thing which struck me was that these are key-worded abilities, bearing similarity to special rules or skills in Mordheim. They apply key-words to a couple of old chestnuts. By that I mean 'Twin Weapon' and 'Bulwark' which many veterans have optionally applied house rules to, or treated as compulsory advanced rules.

Thought I'd post this to share what I'd found. At the very least it might assist in clarifying house rules used by folk or by supplying sexy nicknames to your existing game banter. Smile

The fighting styles described in OoW include:

Zweihander: A dangerous, destructive style, focusing on the use of a massive greatweapon. Favoured by Greatswords of the Empire, dwarf hammerers, some warrior-priests of Sigmar, and anyone else with two hands and a large weapon.

Bulwark: A defensive style requiring a shield in one hand and a hand weapon such as a sword in the other. An example would be Empire Swordsmen fighting in close formation and supporting one another.

Hunterís Eye: The kind of style that would be used largely in either Hochland or Stirland, a style of archery that emphasises awareness and patience.

Diestro: Fashionable amongst the noble elite of the Empire. Fencing weapon and off-hand daggers are used with speed and grace.

Twin Weapon: Warriors who use the Twin Weapon style forgo a shield and wield a second hand weapon, spinning and slashing like a whirling storm. Chaos Marauders and Beastmen often use this kind of fighting style.

Thunder: A style that involves pushing the capabilities of black powder weapons to the limit... or, frankly, well beyond!

Mounted: Fighting from horseback is a style in itself. This style is commonly used by knights of the Empire, but similar techniques have been developed by cavalry of every race and nation.

Judgement: The Witch hunters of the Holy Order of the Templars of Sigmar teach a variety of deadly techniques, many requiring some combination of sword and pistol.

Regards,

Werekin
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/stucrweebo
Tintin
Warlord
Warlord

Trading Reputation : 4

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Omens of War   Fri 15 Apr 2011 - 18:53

They really have NO clue about fighting with weapons and armour what so ever hehe.

I have actually had the chance to show some serious GW brass reall live weapon fighting once. I will try to find some pics of that event. I might have to scan it.
We showed them why two-handed weapons DO NOT hit last, but first. Its very simple, but perhaps hard to understand if you havent actually tried. Two-handed weapons are NOT that heavy and they are really super fast weapons... with length. Yes sirs and madammes, lenght. Hence, they get to strike any opponent with a shorter weapon first, before the dude with the short weapon gets to engage. And even then, the two-handed weapon is exellent for close combat fighting, you just turn it around and fight with the large handle and cross guard.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mephysto
Veteran
Veteran

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

PostSubject: Re: Omens of War   Fri 15 Apr 2011 - 19:20

Thunder ... I like that. pirat

Thanks, Werekin, for that nice find and fluffy heads-up. That book surely sounds interesting. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
StyrofoamKing
Etheral
Etheral

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Omens of War   Fri 15 Apr 2011 - 20:22

Very nice... although, the ones at the top seem the most defined.. the further along the list, the less clarified it seems...

I think this could lead to very neat warband/house rule: what if warriors had a specialty / restriction to certain weapon combos, a la the Pit Fighters? Not for everyone, but maybe for a Merc subtype.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://sites.google.com/site/styroheim/
werekin
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Norse (Unofficial) Norse (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Omens of War   Sun 17 Apr 2011 - 14:10

Your latex claymore doesn't scare me Tintin. Wink

Not all two-handed weapons strike last in Mordheim. Halberds, and Dragon swords from Border Town Burning require for instance require both hands to wield and they don't encumber the wielder.

I'm not a gambling man. However, I'd like to see those who are bet keenly against anyone steam into combat with double-handed hammer from striking first.

Anyone with mind bullets of Tchar strikes before whoever strikes first.

Regards,

Werekin
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/stucrweebo
Tintin
Warlord
Warlord

Trading Reputation : 4

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Omens of War   Sun 17 Apr 2011 - 14:13

werekin wrote:
Your latex claymore doesn't scare me Tintin. Wink

Not all two-handed weapons strike last in Mordheim. Halberds, and Dragon swords from Border Town Burning require for instance require both hands to wield and they don't encumber the wielder.

I'm not a gambling man. However, I'd like to see those who are bet keenly against anyone steam into combat with double-handed hammer from striking first.

Anyone with mind bullets of Tchar strikes before whoever strikes first.

Regards,

Werekin

I most certainly dont fight with latex weapons. Full contact with rattan weapons or live steel. Well I dont fight at all anymore, since I am really damaged in my back, and have been on sick leave for years :-P
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Omens of War   Today at 11:18

Back to top Go down

Omens of War
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1