HomeFAQSearchRegisterUsergroupsBlogLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Share | 

Zynxu's Warband of the not trying to be DEAD

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
zynxu
Youngblood
Youngblood

Trading Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Zynxu's Warband of the not trying to be DEAD   Thu 14 Apr 2011 - 13:35

My list is as follows, I've tried to make a very combative warband, they monsters are currently fighting, dark elves, orcs, brets, and lizardmen. Although the elves, are probably the most o.p. army the player himself does not have much experience in the field. The bretts player has by far the most experience as well as strong concept of tactics.

Heros
Vampire + bow + sword =130
Necromance + bow =45
Dreg + bow + sword =40
Dreg + bow + sword =40
Dreg + bow + sword =40

Hero total : 295

5xGhouls all in their own units to ensure atleast one gets a good skill, then ill switch them over to that group as I see fit.

Henchmen total =200

Crwn total =495 leftover = 5.

I'm planning on giving the dregs warhorses when I can.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shadowphx
General
General

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Zynxu's Warband of the not trying to be DEAD   Thu 14 Apr 2011 - 16:46

I run my Undead a little different. I would drop the Swords and Bows off the dregs for now. With W2, and B2; mine could never see combat. I keep them hidden way in the back just to look for shards. I try to just let them get ďsurvival XPĒ and see what happens with stats and skills to see if I will keep them long term or not. With 3 guys just hiding, thatís 3 Heroes for Exploration rolls. Use the extra gold for another Ghoul. The Bow on the Necro, Iíd keep and heíd be deep in cover just shooting. Why? This warband needs a Vampire (good fighter) and a Necro (moderate fighter) or the Band is destroyed. So these two Heroes become hunted for. Why should I go and fight the henchmen when, I can focus on the two main Heroes and the warband is done.

My main focus is to get my Ghouls as Heroes so they can build up with stats and skills. I also get just a few zombies as fodder to move in my Ghouls. I save my Dire Wolves moving in stealthily near the outside the main fighting area until my band move up closer. With the Dire Wolves 18 inch charge, they can charge from a good distance and save them (if you can) for and open enemy Hero.

If your Bret player has horses or armored warhorses, thatís a lot of gold for each Hero, itíll take time to build up a force and with lots of terrain, it slows them down. It also makes them a large target, easy pickings for Dark Elves and Bows. If the Brets are not using Horse, as I donít, theyíre similar to Mercs in tactics. I have found, Lizardmen arenít as strong out of the jungle. If your table uses a lot of terrain, itíll work close to jungle terrain in tactics. Your biggest threats will be the Dark Elves (good shooting and combat) and Orcs (strong fighters), and Brets without horses. Try and get them to battle each other more than you. That way itíll weaken their numbers and you can pick off the weaker members running for cover. Remember the winner is the last one standing not the just the strongest.

Good Luck.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mweaver
Etheral
Etheral

PostSubject: Re: Zynxu's Warband of the not trying to be DEAD   Thu 14 Apr 2011 - 17:00

Not a bad warband construction at all. I too tend to go cheaper with my dregs - no bows, and clubs instead of swords, initially - usually I do indeed spend the extra gold on another ghoul.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zynxu
Youngblood
Youngblood

PostSubject: Re: Zynxu's Warband of the not trying to be DEAD   Thu 14 Apr 2011 - 18:59

I appreciate both comments, the bret player has 1 decked out hero with horse and barding sitting at around 220 crwns i believe. I understand that dregs aren't great with only bs of 2, but the majority of my opponets have nearly 0 shooting, atleast the first few games ill play. I'd perfer not to get zombies as they are the definition of fodder. If i can limit the amount of models that i lose, not only do i not have to potentially replenish that money, but also that limits the xp that my opponets hero's could possibily obtain. A dreg will hit 1 out of 3 times, assuming standard 5+ to hit, with 3 dregs i should be able to hit once per turn on average. The standard movement marching is 8 inches. Bows have 24 inch range, therefore itll take 3 turns of shooting before my opponet can reach me with standard guys. This should be enough time to remove atleast, one opponet model, and slow down another 2. Opponet armies are generally small right now, sitting right around 9 models on average. By removing 1 model, that'll not only ensure an xp point for my hero, but also bring the route test ever earlier.

removing all 3 bows on dregs, v.s. 2 zombies. I still believe three bows are in my favor, are they not?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mweaver
Etheral
Etheral

PostSubject: Re: Zynxu's Warband of the not trying to be DEAD   Fri 15 Apr 2011 - 5:33

If you are planning on doing a lot of standing and shooting, the BS 2 can still result in hits. I tend to do a lot of moving and shooting, which means even at short range a BS 2 hits only on a 6.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zynxu
Youngblood
Youngblood

PostSubject: Re: Zynxu's Warband of the not trying to be DEAD   Sat 16 Apr 2011 - 12:34

I played my first game vs. norse. I did stand and shoot waiting for him to get to me, it was an interesting change not fully charging straight in. Within close range, the bows were very effective in hitting, lady luck however was not on my side as I rolled consistent 3's with needing 4's. The game itself was quite interesting, I ended up taking a route test every my vampire died via a crit hit followed by a 6, and 2 wounding blows. I ended up with my vampire dead, and 4 ghouls lost. Every one of my characters made a full recovery. With 4 hero's still on the board I was able to roll to obtain 3 wardstone pieces. My opponet lost two hero's each of which rolled and recieved a serious hand injury -1w.s.

Overall the army definitely has some serious power, I do enjoy the bows and think it'll work out even better when vs. an adversary that has lower toughness. Two of my dregs leveled up, 1 obtained +1ld, the other a skill, which i decided to allocate +1 strength to him. I also managed to get a free zombie do to doubles on the wardstone chart. And I spend 42crowns on a new ghoul.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Zynxu's Warband of the not trying to be DEAD   Sat 16 Apr 2011 - 20:05

Shooting T2 Skinks is everyone's favorite pass-time. Sad

Congrats on the excellent recovery rolls. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zynxu
Youngblood
Youngblood

PostSubject: Re: Zynxu's Warband of the not trying to be DEAD   Sun 17 Apr 2011 - 12:17

Thank you, I'll have to post some pictures of my models once there in display quality
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zynxu
Youngblood
Youngblood

PostSubject: Re: Zynxu's Warband of the not trying to be DEAD   Tue 19 Apr 2011 - 22:00

I was wondering if i could get some opinions on the minis i plan on obtaining before spending the big bucks,

this would be my vamp.

This would be my necromancer

these would be my 3 dregs, yes i understand there not the typical concept of a dreg, but i plan on designing some fluff to better fit these models.

my zombie will be a tombstone with a hand reaching out of the earth.

I need suggestions for ghouls, i have some empire men going to waste, and was debating wether or not i could cover 6 of them in green stuff, giving them robes, itd tie into the fluff, as my army has been hired and therefore is wealthy enough for expensive armour on dregs, and robes for the ghouls.

thoughts oppinions and critisms are welcome!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shadowphx
General
General

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven

PostSubject: Re: Zynxu's Warband of the not trying to be DEAD   Tue 19 Apr 2011 - 23:02

If you're not going to buy these, send me their link and I will. LOL! Good looking minis!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Zynxu's Warband of the not trying to be DEAD   Today at 12:47

Back to top Go down

Zynxu's Warband of the not trying to be DEAD
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1