Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

instant mold

Go down 
+2
pascal the rascal
Ozgilijat
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Ozgilijat
Veteran
Veteran
Ozgilijat

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs
Achievements earned: none

instant mold Empty
PostSubject: instant mold   instant mold Icon_minitimeMon 11 Apr 2011 - 12:52

hey guys I made a quick video review/tutorial on the instant mold, it's quite useful tool, and a lot of fun to work with, check it out if you like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_MZwj283eU
Back to top Go down
http://www.ozgilijat.com/
pascal the rascal
Ancient
Ancient
pascal the rascal

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

instant mold Empty
PostSubject: Re: instant mold   instant mold Icon_minitimeThu 28 Apr 2011 - 21:28

hi
thanks for your info

for those of you who haven't tried instant mold yet ; I find it not that cheap (here in Europe), but I think it's great for duplicating small items with a flat side
I have also tried horses legs and a human torso (parts of a centaur i was missing) and the results were ok. Have to do some more tries to get it 100 % right though.
Details are duplicated rather well.
The most attracting part for me is the fact that you can re-use the mold any time you like.

cheers
pascal
Back to top Go down
loche451
Youngblood
Youngblood
loche451

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

instant mold Empty
PostSubject: Re: instant mold   instant mold Icon_minitimeSat 30 Jul 2011 - 21:34

I got some instant mold from the warstore after doing 1/4 pound worth of silicon molds with resin. The instant mold works like a charm and you can do bits with no flat side by completely encasing in the mold and cutting through it though you will have greenstuff flash. Dont use resin for this, but only modeling puttys like green/brown/grey stuff or apoxie. Wont work with resins since they generate heat.

I have been duplicating wagon wheels and cloaks and such with the instant molds - wagon wheels have alot of spokes details ect that the silicone molds wernt as good for with 2 part molds.

$.02
Back to top Go down
renfield286
Captain
Captain
renfield286

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven

instant mold Empty
PostSubject: Re: instant mold   instant mold Icon_minitimeThu 13 Oct 2011 - 13:49

the non commercial chemical name of the plastic its made from is Polycaprolactone (PCL).
And if you are in the UK you can pick it up under the name "Polymorph" & Friendly plastic. both were quite cheap really.
a friend of mine ordered some through e-bay called Oyumaru (Think it was shipped from hong kong).
its all the same stuff
Back to top Go down
http://renfieldin28mm.6sided.net/
pascal the rascal
Ancient
Ancient
pascal the rascal

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

instant mold Empty
PostSubject: Re: instant mold   instant mold Icon_minitimeSun 18 Dec 2011 - 10:34

hi,
just a quick word of warning, as well as a question to Renfield ;
just picked up some polymorph. For me this is NOT the same stuff.
Polymorph hardens into something like nylon.
Whereas the instand mold is a little bit flexible, the polymorph is not
With an "instant mold" mold, you can push your newly made green stuff bit out of it, the polymorph is just rock hard and not flexible at all.
Googled a bit on polymorph to find some uses for which i could use it, miniature related, but haven't come up with anything yet.

Renfield, any ideas or suggestions would be most welcome.

cheers
Back to top Go down
renfield286
Captain
Captain
renfield286

Personal Info

instant mold Empty
PostSubject: Re: instant mold   instant mold Icon_minitimeSun 18 Dec 2011 - 11:23

maybe it was a bad stick of instant mold that i got, but i found i would have to wait for the green stuff to dry before peeling it out with either.

chemically they are the same

I've used it for texturing things like cloaks, Scales & Fur. I've also taken a mould of a few shields for some old chaos dwarves.

Back to top Go down
pascal the rascal
Ancient
Ancient
pascal the rascal

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

instant mold Empty
PostSubject: Re: instant mold   instant mold Icon_minitimeSun 18 Dec 2011 - 19:06

i don't think so. Don't you always have to wait for your GS / putty / clay / whatever to dry, before removing it from the mould ?
How did you use polymorph for a mould of your shields ? It sticks to whatever i put it on, and when dry cannot be removed from the original I was trying to make a mould from.
If i understand you correctly, you got a mould in polymorph, you put GS in it, let it dry, and then you can pry it loose without too much difficulty ?
cheers
Back to top Go down
renfield286
Captain
Captain
renfield286

Personal Info

instant mold Empty
PostSubject: Re: instant mold   instant mold Icon_minitimeSun 18 Dec 2011 - 19:50

Press the GS in with some overlap so you have room to peel it out, then cut it down once removing it.
the other option is to re heat it slightly when the GS is set.
Back to top Go down
Drayven
Knight
Knight
Drayven

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Beastmen (EIF) Beastmen (EIF)

instant mold Empty
PostSubject: Re: instant mold   instant mold Icon_minitimeSun 18 Dec 2011 - 22:58

I found Instant Mold to be very useful when putting together my Beastmen warband. I wanted them all to have hammers and they mostly came with axes. What I did was make impressions of the hammer heads of Dwarven weapons using the instant mold then pressed out a handful of hammer heads from the mold with green stuff. Then it was just a few snips to remove the axe heads and a little glue and suddenly my beastmen were all about the blunt weapons.
Back to top Go down
Captain Bernhardt
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Captain Bernhardt

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

instant mold Empty
PostSubject: Re: instant mold   instant mold Icon_minitimeThu 22 Dec 2011 - 13:05

I've started using molds to replicate small and rare pieces I needed. But is always used Green stuff to make the mold as well and it works fine for me. However I have no experience with instant mold. Should I switch to it? what are the benefits from using instant mold?
Back to top Go down
Drayven
Knight
Knight
Drayven

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Beastmen (EIF) Beastmen (EIF)

instant mold Empty
PostSubject: Re: instant mold   instant mold Icon_minitimeSat 24 Dec 2011 - 17:26

I think the main benefit is that you can reuse it as many times as you want. After you make the pieces you need you just throw it back in warm water and start something new.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

instant mold Empty
PostSubject: Re: instant mold   instant mold Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

instant mold
Page 1 of 1