Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Pirate Warband

Go down 
+2
Von Kurst
BalrogTheBuff
6 posters
AuthorMessage
BalrogTheBuff
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
BalrogTheBuff

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: none

Pirate Warband Empty
PostSubject: Pirate Warband   Pirate Warband Icon_minitimeThu 7 Apr 2011 - 18:54

I bought a box of Empire Militia in order to finish up my Marienburger warband with a few archers and such. Since I had plenty of leftover models I decided that Pirates would have to happen!

So I started working up some warband stuff. Several warband building questions arose:

Is a Swivel Gun rare8 at start? Thus meaning you cannot start with one?
Are Boatswain worth it? I would think so, personally.
What kinds of weapons would people suggest? I am thinking pistol heavy.
Are Pirate Captains really -1 bs and -1 Init compared to mercenary captains? Is that just how they offset the swabbies and other special rules?

So far I made my Mates Young Tom and his father Old Tom each with sword and pistol. The Captain is going to be a Gentleman pirate who I have not thought of a name yet. I am looking at using two arms from a Pistolier set so he has duelling pistols and fluffy sleeves.

I made a Gunner with blunderbuss from the Pistolier box again and a gunner with a Handgun, but I think the handgun looks sufficiently blunderbussy so I may use both as Blunderbusses.

Any advice for Cabin Boys and other things?
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

Pirate Warband Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pirate Warband   Pirate Warband Icon_minitimeFri 8 Apr 2011 - 4:49

BalrogTheBuff wrote:

Is a Swivel Gun rare8 at start? Thus meaning you cannot start with one?
The Swivel Gun can be purchased at start. It is Rare 8 thereafter like most (all?) rare equipment available to other warbands.

BalrogTheBuff wrote:
Are Boatswain worth it? I would think so, personally.
As much as I would like to see rope and hooks as common equipment for all pirate henchmen, I never bother with the boatswains in campaigns. I buy crew because I can add pressed warriors to the group later.

BalrogTheBuff wrote:
What kinds of weapons would people suggest? I am thinking pistol heavy.
Good man. We tend to take as much gunpowder as we can in Sartosan campaigns. A couple of blunderbusses, handguns and lots of pistols of various types. Because we use the weather rules we also have a few bows and crossbows for rainy days.

BalrogTheBuff wrote:
Are Pirate Captains really -1 bs and -1 Init compared to mercenary captains? Is that just how they offset the swabbies and other special rules?
Not the Sartosan warbands. There's an Errata or FAQ somewhere but I don't remember if the Captain is covered or not.

BalrogTheBuff wrote:
advice for Cabin Boys and other things?
We start with clubs and then graduate to pistols and swords for most folks.
pirat
Back to top Go down
StyrofoamKing
Etheral
Etheral
StyrofoamKing

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: None

Pirate Warband Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pirate Warband   Pirate Warband Icon_minitimeFri 8 Apr 2011 - 6:04

Like youngbloods, their low Weapon Skill makes it easier for people to hit them... thus, it makes it easier to parry stuff. For cabin boys, a sword is a must, with an optional buckler.

It might be best to play the strength to the advances. BS? Crossbow. Toughness? Armor. Initiative? Leather whip or boot hook. That way, your cheaper youngbloods aren't wasting money on equipment that doesn't fit them.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/styroheim/
Mephysto
Veteran
Veteran
Mephysto

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

Pirate Warband Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pirate Warband   Pirate Warband Icon_minitimeFri 8 Apr 2011 - 16:01

Von Kurst wrote:
BalrogTheBuff wrote:
Not the Sartosan warbands. There's an Errata or FAQ somewhere but I don't remember if the Captain is covered or not.

Annual, p. 103: "The Pirate Captain should have an Initiative of 4 and not 3."
Although I also think I have read an (official) answer that said he should have the same profile (which would include BS) as the Mercenary Captain. Do not remember where, however.
But at least Initiative is sorted. Razz
Back to top Go down
Tintin
Warlord
Warlord
Tintin

Trading Reputation : 4

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)

Pirate Warband Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pirate Warband   Pirate Warband Icon_minitimeFri 8 Apr 2011 - 19:28

Hehe, I have equipped my captain, and crew for that matter, with as many guns I can and cutlasses for the rest. I go for what I think look cool, feels cool and go BOOM!
Back to top Go down
BalrogTheBuff
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
BalrogTheBuff

Personal Info

Pirate Warband Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pirate Warband   Pirate Warband Icon_minitimeFri 8 Apr 2011 - 21:56

I normally never use blackpowder weapons on my other warbands (Pit Fighters, Orcs and Goblins, Marauders, you can see why...) so I need to have some. My Pirates will NOT be built for any winning reasons, but purely for piratey awesomeness. If they win cool, but that is not the point! My only surprise was when i noticed they had Crossbows not handguns for the basic pirate list. I was sad...
Back to top Go down
5pointer
Elder
Elder
5pointer

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

Pirate Warband Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pirate Warband   Pirate Warband Icon_minitimeFri 8 Apr 2011 - 23:04

My Pirateburgers are pistol heavy. Tis the only way!
Back to top Go down
BalrogTheBuff
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
BalrogTheBuff

Personal Info

Pirate Warband Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pirate Warband   Pirate Warband Icon_minitimeMon 11 Apr 2011 - 23:33

Ok so which is correct for the Pirates 7 or 2 gunners? I am not using these in a Sartosa campaign but a Mordheim. And based on the annual it does seem BS3 is accurate... Oh well. So my Captain is an in your face kind of guy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Pirate Warband Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pirate Warband   Pirate Warband Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pirate Warband
Page 1 of 1