Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Stromfels Warband suggestions

Go down 
+2
Grimscull
Tintin
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Tintin
Warlord
Warlord
Tintin

Trading Reputation : 4

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: none

Stromfels Warband suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Stromfels Warband suggestions   Stromfels Warband suggestions Icon_minitimeMon 28 Mar 2011 - 15:58

Ohoy!

In our Sartosa campaign we will try to introduce a new warband, made up of Stromfels worshippers. Since we lack any rules for these, we where thinking of using the Posessed rules, with some variations.

The idea is to have a one "High Priest" as warband leader, naturally with some casting abilities, we where also thinking of letting the High Priest use two forms, one as caster, ie. human form, or shark form (we found an awsome model for this) where he/she becomes a formidable close combat monster.
The "High Priest" can choose to change to Shark form when ever he so decides, but must stay in that form for the duration of the game session.
Human form: weak physical appearance and acess to some spells (with a sea theme of course) armed cutlass or other handweapon.
Shark form: strong physical appearance and acess to some special melee attacks. Cant use spells or weapons in Shark Form.

Two "possesed" or the equivalent of thereof, ie. models that have shark mutations or features (we found some great models for this. Their main abilities would be closely connected with close combat, like bite attacks and so forth.
The "Possesed" can, like their master, change form at will, but must also stay in that form for the duration of the game session.
Human form: warriors with handweapons, normal abilities and skills.
Shark form: strong physical appearance and acess to some special melee attacks (close to the mutation list in function). Cant use spells or weapons in Shark Form.

Two "Adepts" armed with boathook or trident (two-handed weapons, simular to spear), along with handweapon and nets.

The main bulk of the warband will be made up out of cultists and worshippers. Armed with a mix of short bows and handweapons. They are not military trained and should not be using shields and only light armour. These are pirates/sailors/fishermen/pearldivers and the like. Normal inhabitants of the coastal areas or the islands.

We do realize that we can add/subtract/mix a bit after our own taste when it comes to the rules, and I am absolutely convinced that we will be fully able to create something that is game friendly and viable. However, some ideas, suggestions and oppinions of the fantastic crowd on these forums would be most welcome.

Last edited by Tintin on Tue 29 Mar 2011 - 12:52; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Grimscull
Etheral
Etheral
Grimscull

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Stromfels Warband suggestions   Stromfels Warband suggestions Icon_minitimeMon 28 Mar 2011 - 16:23

Who or what is Stromfels? I thought I knew the basic WHFB-Background (and some more) but this is completely new to me.
Let me guess, the awesome shark-model is made by Reaper? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Tintin
Warlord
Warlord
Tintin

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Stromfels Warband suggestions   Stromfels Warband suggestions Icon_minitimeMon 28 Mar 2011 - 16:53

Stromfels is the god of storms, pirates, sailors and so forth. The Predator god of the sea. It could be regarded as a aspect of Manaan, but by some it is its own god. Hunted and forbidden in the Empire (and most other places I suppose in the Old World).
Hehe, yeah some of the models are from Reaper Miniatures Smile
Back to top Go down
Ordo Septenarius
Warlord
Warlord
Ordo Septenarius

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: Stromfels Warband suggestions   Stromfels Warband suggestions Icon_minitimeMon 28 Mar 2011 - 17:26

Grimscull wrote:
Who or what is Stromfels? I thought I knew the basic WHFB-Background (and some more) but this is completely new to me.
Let me guess, the awesome shark-model is made by Reaper? Very Happy

If you're able to get your hands on the WFRP1.0 magazine "Warpstone," or the Marienburg sourcebook (also for the same game), you'll find some excellent information on the very interesting Stromfels.
Back to top Go down
StyrofoamKing
Etheral
Etheral
StyrofoamKing

Personal Info
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Stromfels Warband suggestions   Stromfels Warband suggestions Icon_minitimeTue 29 Mar 2011 - 12:23

I always thought that Stromfel was an aspect of Khorne, making the a spellcaster kinda out of place. (With that in mind, the Khorne Raiders would work great.) If you want something new, how about...

0-2 Scabbers - 90 gc
M WS BS S T W I A Ld
4 4 0 4 4 1 4 2 7
Weapons: Armed with two Claw mutations, which grant +1 S each. May not carry any other weapons, or have any further mutations.

Thus, it's a Possessed hero that's traded a M and a W for two claws... powerful, yet thematic. (And modeling one should be easy, just use a Daemonette with slightly less purple.)

Change back and forth: a fun idea, but a full-fledged Possessed should NEVER use weapons. They are too strong already.

I think a fitting mutation for this warband would be "Gills" (aka being Aquatic, which means no movement penalty for water.) I'm guessing this would run around 30 in a normal campaign, 40-50 in Sartosa.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/styroheim/
Eliazar
Etheral
Etheral
Eliazar

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Stromfels Warband suggestions   Stromfels Warband suggestions Icon_minitimeTue 29 Mar 2011 - 12:42

I think Strohmfels is rather an evil aspect of Manaan and more of a God of Nature than a Chaos entity. However, a priest with prayers might be more fitting. Regarding the mutation to a close combat monster, there should definitely penalties (or you just have a prayer working like the skaven black fury from the start with a certain difficulty), otherwise the hero would be pretty damn strong, spellcaster and hth-monster on-demand.

Still, I really like the idea!
Back to top Go down
Tintin
Warlord
Warlord
Tintin

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Stromfels Warband suggestions   Stromfels Warband suggestions Icon_minitimeTue 29 Mar 2011 - 12:46

I dont see any connection with the Ruinous powers of Chaos at all, maybe, as suggested, an aspect of Manaan, but for now, we will accept it as a part of the pantheon on its own accord.
The thing is, we are trying to opt for old gods/new gods style of play, especially when it comes to the settings, but also for our warbands.

If I wanted a chaos posessed warband, there is one hehe ;-)

The weapons are only to be used in human form, when changed to their posessed status, they dont use weapons, same as the warband leader, he/she looses his/her casting abilities when changed. I thought that was clear, but I can change the text a bit, to clarify that part.
Back to top Go down
StyrofoamKing
Etheral
Etheral
StyrofoamKing

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Stromfels Warband suggestions   Stromfels Warband suggestions Icon_minitimeTue 29 Mar 2011 - 18:16

I tried finding a connection between Stromfels and Khorne online, but came up dry. Maybe I'm crazy, but I thought there was a link. Ah, well.

Stromfels: The possessed is a good basis, but remember: every strength you add, you have to have something to take away.

Suggestion: You can transform at the START of any of your turns. This makes it a strategic choice: do I change now, to anticipate the charge he's about to make, or do I stay "human" and get off one final pistol shot? Also, any mutations the possessed/priest/mutants have do NOT apply when he is not transformed: Therefore, your posssessed with a Great claw and hideous doesn't get the bonus until he transforms, dropping all weapons. Maybe, to make it harder still, if they transform, roll 1D6: on a 1-3, they may not move that turn (unless it's an involuntary move like frenzy).

Here's my suggestion for the line up:

1 High Priest - A spell/prayer caster that can transform, turning him into a powerful, aquatic, nearly possessed creature. Cost: HIGH. Probably 100+

0-1 Deep Spawn - A possessed, which can hold equipment or have mutations (but cannot use both at the same time... see the above!) As the leader now has access to super stats, I suggest he is only 0-1 ('cause THREE possessed level guys would be too much!) May also start the game transformed.

0-3 Mutants. - may buy mutations, including Gills. Once mutated, can't use weapons. Starts game human. (Or, as an alternative, the "1-3 No Move" limit only afffects Mutants as they transform... or 1-2, 1, whatever you decide. They can learn to remove this weakness as a skill choice.)

As for henchmen, keep the brethren and dark souls. Not sure about the beastmen. Maybe, as an animal choice, they can herd in crocodiles (kinda like super slow dire wolves). They work on land and water, so it fits the setting.

Also, if you want to have a Sartosa / God battle, may I suggest you include "King Death"? He's the Sartosan equal to Morr. Maybe through in some Vampire Hunters, or let them start with the Priest of Morr as a hero.
Back to top Go down
Tintin
Warlord
Warlord
Tintin

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Stromfels Warband suggestions   Stromfels Warband suggestions Icon_minitimeTue 29 Mar 2011 - 19:34

I love all your suggestions, this is exactly what I am looking for, super input. Now it feels like we are getting somewhere, and I totally agree, they got to have some flaws to make up for their superior abilities.
We will absolutely, without a doubt, play with a Sartosa setting. We have your Sartosan stuff downloaded, I have saved most of it until I can print it and take some time at a coffee shop and enjoy reading it! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
StyrofoamKing
Etheral
Etheral
StyrofoamKing

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Stromfels Warband suggestions   Stromfels Warband suggestions Icon_minitimeTue 29 Mar 2011 - 22:19

Sartosa: Yay! Wait a few more weeks, and Von Kurst will pass back to me the Locations setting... super fun, by the looks of it.

Other possible stuff:

Mutation list:
Great Claw, Tentacle, Black Blood, Spines, hideous (or make it eyestalks, like in "Powers of the Stones") - the same

Serpent's Tail - Same as Scorpion tail (more fitting)

Fanged Jaw - Can make an extra base strength attack that strikes last (like a Saurus bite.) 30-35gc?

Suckers*. The mutant's limbs are covered in adhesive suckers. The mutant automatically passes Initiative tests when climbing. cost: ?

Gills - gains aquatic. Cost: 30-40?

Mutations they can't get: demon soul (less with magic, more with "gifts), extra arms (as would be too good with the jaw), cloven hoofs (doesn't fit the setting.)
Back to top Go down
Tintin
Warlord
Warlord
Tintin

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Stromfels Warband suggestions   Stromfels Warband suggestions Icon_minitimeTue 29 Mar 2011 - 23:37

I think that the High Priest should cause Fear in his Shark Form, same perhaps for the posessed ones. Maybe to strong? But then, they could loose out on movement as well, bening more adept for water in their aquatic form. They should have a powerful charge, as in a shark attack.
Back to top Go down
StyrofoamKing
Etheral
Etheral
StyrofoamKing

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Stromfels Warband suggestions   Stromfels Warband suggestions Icon_minitimeWed 30 Mar 2011 - 2:51

Well, let's compare:

Code:
Normal Magister:
M WS BS S T W I A LD
4  4  4 3 3 1 4 1 8
Leader, Wizard

Code:
Normal Possessed:
M WS BS S T W I A LD
5  4  0 4 4 2 4 2 7

So, purely for comparison, it gains +1 M, +1S, +1T, +1W, +1A, and Fear
Loses -1 Ld and Wizard
(It also has -4 Bs, but since it doesn't have missiles, not a big deal)

So, you can two different ways: it gains positive AND negative stats as it changes, or just gains slightly fewer stats (with few weaknesses, aside from losing wizard and weapons)

If your heroes only go from Human to Monster or start in monster, the +1 wound will be fine... however, if you go from Monster to Human, may I advice AGAINST using the +1 Wound as one of the bonuses, as it opens a whole can of worms if a model gets MINUS 1 wound.

I do like your "-1M, Aquatic rule." It kind of gives him a "waddle". In the water, he gains +2" in charge/run/swim. On land, he loses -2 inches. It also gives you a reason to start human, as you can venture further onto the board as humans. Also, it doesn't "stall" the model (ie it can't move, I like I suggested originally), but increases your chance of failing a charge... sure, he's tougher, but less likely to reach that target. Let's hope the player is used to eyeballing dwarves!

So, if Wounds are out, and he gets -1 M instead, how's this:

-1M, +1 S, +1T, +1A

To make it more "fair", why not make that +1 attack have a penalty, like only working on charges, or attacks last (like a Saurus bite.) That gives him an impressive (but not game breaking) +1S, +1T, +1 Lesser attack, and fear. The M3 aquatic is great in some scenarios, but for most of them, is a greater disadvantage.

Back to top Go down
werekin
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
werekin

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Norse (Unofficial) Norse (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Stromfels Warband suggestions   Stromfels Warband suggestions Icon_minitimeThu 31 Mar 2011 - 20:35

There is a ton of fabulous lore on the God of Storms in the Verenan archives. I have been amassing notes for months, and do you honestly think that I was only going to include details for one new pirate warband in Marienburg? Smile

Hmm, I may have to reveal what all the new gangs are going to be now...

Regards,

Werekin.
Back to top Go down
https://libermalefic.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stromfels Warband suggestions   Stromfels Warband suggestions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stromfels Warband suggestions
Page 1 of 1