Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Hadriel's first warband

Go down 
+19
SerialMoM
BurnTheWitch
folketsfiende
drakkol
5pointer
sartori
Pathfinder Dubstyles
Figgy
floedebolle
HornedRat
mweaver
Rudeboy
Pirexian
squattingmouse
Jacko' lantern
WarbossKurgan
Gobbo Freak
DeafNala
Hadriel Caine
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Hadriel Caine
Captain
Captain
Hadriel Caine

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Middenheimers Middenheimers
Achievements earned: none

Hadriel's first warband Empty
PostSubject: Hadriel's first warband   Hadriel's first warband Icon_minitimeFri 24 Dec 2010 - 2:13

Its been a long time since I was active in the fantasy side of the hobby. This is largely because although my only fully painted army is VCs my gaming group prefer 40k because we seem to be able to fit games in much easier.

Last year at my FLGS in Exeter; Khaos Games (then Eldritch Games) I took part in my first ever Mordheim campaign.

At the time I tried to get a warband assembled and painted. I got about 10 guys assembled then and one painted, my captain.

I really really enjoyed the campagin, not that I did very well but it was fun, so I decided to complete my warband which will hopefully see further use this Christmas holiday and then in a campaign in the New Year.

I have recently completed a couple more of the original warband members, so here's a shot of the three that are painted so far:
(The Captain is in the middle with the sweeping noble hair)
Hadriel's first warband DSC01024

I was lucky enough to pick up a box of the plastic Empire Greatswords at a large discount as Khaos Games is selling off its GW stuff as there's no real demand for it in our area at the moment.

Here are two of my favourite new guys:
Hadriel's first warband DSC01026

I am recycling bases from my bitz box because I cleverly left all my plain bases at University... This also allows me to repeat the style of the bases from my current Mordheim guys which are quite old minis.

Below is a picture of my undercoated guys from the previous campaing:
Hadriel's first warband DSC01025

web cookie to anyone who knows where the body for my Captain and various other minis comes from originally.

Here are the finalised greatsword-based conversions (I'm giving most of the swords and paraphernalia to my mate peaoui for his Empire army)
Hadriel's first warband DSC01021
Hadriel's first warband DSC01022
Hadriel's first warband DSC01023
NB: The archer on the scenic base (Scibor's) is very special since he was a youngblood in the campaign and got really quite badass by the end. He did the majority of the killing and was rewarded with a nice base and a High Elf bow!

This guy is just a hammer and shield bloke these days but was 'Captain' for a bit when mine died in the campaign. Figured the hammer could be counted as a morning star if needed.

Hadriel's first warband DSC01040
Hadriel's first warband DSC01041

I'm happy with how he came out, I have lost natural light so the highlights/ blending are a bit washed out by my camera flash.

I also finished this guy:
Hadriel's first warband DSC01042Hadriel's first warband DSC01043

The pictures really don't do him justice as they are too bright. The washes, lowlights and natural shadows are lost here which is a shame.
eCookies to people that came name the various parts in his construction.

Current warband shot:
Hadriel's first warband DSC01044

thats all for now!

I'd be interested to hear people's comments and criticisms.

thanks

Adam

p.s. Merry Christmas Eve!

NB: this is more or less a direct port from my warseer log but I thought you people were a captive and potentially friendly audience! It'd be nice to get feedback from a specific Mordheim community in order to continue and progress with this project.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Hadriel's first warband   Hadriel's first warband Icon_minitimeFri 24 Dec 2010 - 3:16

It takes a flash to really mess up a photo...despite that your Lads look TERRIFIC! I LOVE the fish emblazoned on your Hammer & Shield Guy's shoulder pad thingy...VERY Mordheimy. Your creative use of the various G.W. parts is producing some really interesting character pieces. Keep up the FINE WORK...& A MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU ALSO! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Gobbo Freak
Elder
Elder
Gobbo Freak

Trading Reputation : 7

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Hadriel's first warband   Hadriel's first warband Icon_minitimeFri 24 Dec 2010 - 12:16

I love the use of Bloodbowl bodies Very Happy

Sure, all their poses are the same, but you managed to convert them simple and still nice. Well done thumbsup
Back to top Go down
WarbossKurgan
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
WarbossKurgan

Personal Info
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Hadriel's first warband   Hadriel's first warband Icon_minitimeFri 24 Dec 2010 - 13:31

Love this warband! Really imaginative use of bitz - The Blood Bowl ones especially. Nice colour-scheme too. The brown, green and metal works very well.
sunny
Back to top Go down
http://www.flameon.co.uk
Jacko' lantern
General
General
Jacko' lantern

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Hadriel's first warband   Hadriel's first warband Icon_minitimeFri 24 Dec 2010 - 13:42

the guy with the hawk is made from heroquest 2 guard right?
used to play heroquest with my brother and dad Smile

anyway, really good models! the colour scheme is really nice thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Hadriel Caine
Captain
Captain
Hadriel Caine

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Hadriel's first warband   Hadriel's first warband Icon_minitimeFri 24 Dec 2010 - 13:54

Wow thanks very much for all the positive responses guys.

@DeafNala- I would prefer to not use flash but there is very little in the way of light when I'm at home and I'd rather you could see the models in the images than not Smile
@Gobbo Freak- I liked the uniformity of the old models. In a skirmish game that might seem a little backward but I like how they turned out anyway! Allows me to be a bit more adventurous with any hired hands I suppose...
@WarbossKurgan-I'm glad you like my colour scheme. I wanted to limit my colour palette as I tend to use fairly bright colours (due to my 40k activity) and lots of vibrant details and OSL etc. I hoped to create a drab cohesion amongst the figures that reflects the harsh gritty reality of the Mordheim setting.
@Jacko' Lantern- you are exactly right, Advanced Heroquest henchman, these models are all actually older than me Very Happy Bloodbowl 1988 Advanced Heroquest early 1989.

All that's left for this post is for me to wish you all a very
MERRY CHRISTMAS

Hadriel's first warband CookieMonsterXmas

thanks again

Adam
Back to top Go down
squattingmouse
General
General
squattingmouse

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: Hadriel's first warband   Hadriel's first warband Icon_minitimeFri 24 Dec 2010 - 15:29

Nice to see my old blood bowl models getting some use! Nice work with the painting - planning to try and run something at some stage in the new year so keep an eye/ear open.

Oh and some of us still play Advanced Heroquest. I'm older than it - not by much but still older than it!
Back to top Go down
http://squattingmouse.tabletopgeeks.com/
Hadriel Caine
Captain
Captain
Hadriel Caine

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Hadriel's first warband   Hadriel's first warband Icon_minitimeTue 4 Jan 2011 - 16:50

Hey guys!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I managed to fit in two games yesterday and have posted a battle report of the first one in the appropriate subforum! There are some pictures of varying quality on in the thread.

check it out!

@squattingmouse- I am looking forward to playing Mordheim quite a bit more so I'll be very interested in your plans Smile

Adam
Back to top Go down
Hadriel Caine
Captain
Captain
Hadriel Caine

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Hadriel's first warband   Hadriel's first warband Icon_minitimeTue 4 Jan 2011 - 19:32

I hope its not poor form here to double post in one's own thread.

So my games yesterday really inspired me about this warband. I decided I'd spend some time today painting the next member to reward myself for actually using some of those 'little plastic men' my girlfriend is always complaining about.

The astute amongst you will realise that more time has been spent on this miniature than some of the previous ones. That is because I wanted to make sure he tied in with the other models but looked suitably unique and shiny as he is the first of the guys based on the new Empire goldswords that I have.

The pictures aren't the best quality, no flash or natural light used but hey, here he is:

Hadriel's first warband DSC01323
and again
Hadriel's first warband DSC01327
extreme close up
Hadriel's first warband DSC01329

I'm rather chuffed with how he turned out. If you read my second battle report, which I'll probably get around to writing at about midnight after the pub, then you'll find out why this mini was picked out in particular for a paint job!

Group shot
Hadriel's first warband DSC01331

and a couple of guys I picked up yesterday from Andrew (see battle report), going to convert them up and paint them too. If I'm not careful I'm going to end up with an Empire army....

Hadriel's first warband DSC01332

So comments? criticisms? declarations of love?

thanks for dropping in

Adam
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Hadriel's first warband   Hadriel's first warband Icon_minitimeTue 4 Jan 2011 - 20:01

Lighting looks good..now the question: did you have the macro on? The close ups are a tad blurry, but The Man looks GREAT in the group shot. Nice metallic work; the hair & skin tones look fine; all in all VERY WELL DONE! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Pirexian
Elder
Elder
Pirexian

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Hadriel's first warband   Hadriel's first warband Icon_minitimeWed 5 Jan 2011 - 0:13

Very cool minis mate =)
Back to top Go down
Rudeboy
Elder
Elder
Rudeboy

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Restless Dead (BTB) Restless Dead (BTB)

PostSubject: Re: Hadriel's first warband   Hadriel's first warband Icon_minitimeWed 5 Jan 2011 - 17:41

I really like the Blood Bowl Mini's. I like the Mods you made. Nice Work!

The new guys are well done as well.

I really like the Armor.
Back to top Go down
Jacko' lantern
General
General
Jacko' lantern

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Hadriel's first warband   Hadriel's first warband Icon_minitimeWed 5 Jan 2011 - 19:11

nice! they look great painted up! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
mweaver
Etheral
Etheral
mweaver

PostSubject: Re: Hadriel's first warband   Hadriel's first warband Icon_minitimeFri 7 Jan 2011 - 14:02

Excellent! Great-looking warband.

I love seeing how people assemble the Empire models together. There are such a huge number of bits to choose from. I really like the men you have created.
Back to top Go down
HornedRat
Elder
Elder
HornedRat

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven

PostSubject: Re: Hadriel's first warband   Hadriel's first warband Icon_minitimeSat 8 Jan 2011 - 0:39

I really like the BB conversions.

I have a ton of old empire halberd guys that I converted up for my undead Empire army, lots of fun.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pbase.com/therat
floedebolle
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
floedebolle

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Hadriel's first warband   Hadriel's first warband Icon_minitimeSun 9 Jan 2011 - 11:31

Wow, nice models, the bloodbowlguys i like the most! And nice painting style too, keep on posting please, floedebolle

Bob Parkhurst: Take it!
[she undoes her shirt - exeunt]
Back to top Go down
Hadriel Caine
Captain
Captain
Hadriel Caine

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Hadriel's first warband   Hadriel's first warband Icon_minitimeMon 10 Jan 2011 - 23:24

Thanks for all the responses chaps!

@DeafNala- I'll figure the camera thing out soon. Glad you like the fig!
@Pirexian- cheers man
@Rudeboy- The armour is a really old recipe that I used on my chaos warriors when I was about 13. Tin bitz, boltgun metal, mithril silver, muted with a wash (devlan mud/ badab black) then rehighlighted.
@Jacko' Lantern- thanks, hoping to get more done soon.
@mweaver- I've always regretted not making an Empire army for WHFB but there woul be too many options and too much painting to do. one day maybe...
@HornedRat- I'm not sure what to do with the Halberd guy yet, sure I'll think of something.
@floedebolle- I will endeavour to carry on. got a couple of ideas for a skaven warband after this maybe... or an undead one.

expect another mini within the week Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Hadriel's first warband   Hadriel's first warband Icon_minitimeTue 11 Jan 2011 - 1:57

Hadriel Caine wrote:
@DeafNala- I'll figure the camera thing out soon. Glad you like the fig!

I'm rather hoping I figure it out myself. Right now I achieve photos that are noteworthy only for their ASTOUNDING mediocrity. If I stumble across The Way, I pass along the info. Suspect

AND I LOVE the way your stuff is turning out. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Hadriel Caine
Captain
Captain
Hadriel Caine

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Hadriel's first warband   Hadriel's first warband Icon_minitimeTue 11 Jan 2011 - 13:55

Heh heh. What I didn't say at silly o'clock this morning was that I'd painted another guy but was too tired to take any pictures.

Here's my marksman;

Hadriel's first warband DSC01335
He was incredible in the first campaign I played so was next in line for a nice shiny paint job.
rear view

I also snapped a better shot of my youngblood:

Hadriel's first warband DSC01337

and the falconer:

Hadriel's first warband DSC01338

Bearing in mind that this is a painting log I thought I should include a pic of my kitten
Hadriel's first warband DSC00271

enjoy!

Adam
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Hadriel's first warband   Hadriel's first warband Icon_minitimeTue 11 Jan 2011 - 14:52

VERY NICE...I like the way you do your metallic work. GOOD JOB on the cat. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Figgy
Elder
Elder
Figgy

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Hadriel's first warband   Hadriel's first warband Icon_minitimeTue 11 Jan 2011 - 16:58

Well done! I love the axe that one model is holding. Great choice of parts to make each of your men unique. That cat, I believe, is your best work. The eyes are amazing, how did you get that effect?
Back to top Go down
Pathfinder Dubstyles
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pathfinder Dubstyles

Personal Info
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Hadriel's first warband   Hadriel's first warband Icon_minitimeTue 11 Jan 2011 - 23:36

These are very nice, and i love to see HeroQuest and Advanced HeroQuest models put to good use!

Your painting really shines in the second set of pictures, the colors are very vibrant.

Squattingmouse gets 50 cool points for still playing Advanced Heroquest!
Back to top Go down
Hadriel Caine
Captain
Captain
Hadriel Caine

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Hadriel's first warband   Hadriel's first warband Icon_minitimeThu 13 Jan 2011 - 21:01

Glad everyone likes the cat. She's actually quite a lot bigger now but lives at my parents' house.

@Figgy- the greatswords kit is full of awesome components- I couldn't resist from buying it when I saw them reduced at my FLGS.

I've got a decent camera set up again now I'm in my student house so future pics ought to be good too. Or if they aren't I don't really have an excuse.
Back to top Go down
Hadriel Caine
Captain
Captain
Hadriel Caine

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Hadriel's first warband   Hadriel's first warband Icon_minitimeFri 21 Jan 2011 - 23:43

new stuff!
Hadriel's first warband DSC01351

the guy on the far left belongs to my house mate Rob. the other two are WIPs for my guys (which may become two different warbands with the guy with the pistol as leader #2)

cheeky shot of my workspace:
Hadriel's first warband DSC01352

closeup showing Rob's WIP warband:
Hadriel's first warband DSC01343

the theme behind these guys is that they comprise some sort of town watch. I'm not looking forward to facing all of those archers.

thanks for stopping by!

Adam
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Hadriel's first warband   Hadriel's first warband Icon_minitimeSat 22 Jan 2011 - 0:08

CONGRATULATIONS ON ALL THE NEW TOYS, Guys! Have FUN painting them all! cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hadriel's first warband   Hadriel's first warband Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hadriel's first warband
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next