Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Dueling pistols and automatic hits

Go down 
+2
Keylan
Dahag
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Dahag
Warlord
Warlord
Dahag

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: none

pistols - Dueling pistols and automatic hits Empty
PostSubject: Dueling pistols and automatic hits   pistols - Dueling pistols and automatic hits Icon_minitimeThu 23 Dec 2010 - 23:36

1)did I understand correctly that with if a ranged attack - with BS 5 or higher- and reach a 1+ to hit roll, that you hit the target automatically?

2) if yes, then what about dodge? If I hit automatically does this mean it can't be dodged or simply that i don't have to roll if it hits? and in cc-combat with step aside, respectively? (diving charging with duelling pistol and higher WS.)

3) can such automatic hits be parried?

thanks a lot in advance...
Back to top Go down
Keylan
Champion
Champion
Keylan

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Dueling pistols and automatic hits   pistols - Dueling pistols and automatic hits Icon_minitimeFri 24 Dec 2010 - 1:24

Rules state clearly there is no autohit if it is not called autohit^^

what means u have to roll and 1 is always a fail
Back to top Go down
RationalLemming
Etheral
Etheral
RationalLemming

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

PostSubject: Re: Dueling pistols and automatic hits   pistols - Dueling pistols and automatic hits Icon_minitimeFri 24 Dec 2010 - 2:11

We have always played that it is still possible to fail a test even if the roll required implies otherwise. This means a shot will miss even if it requires a 1+ to hit or an armour save will fail if it was ever possible to get a 1+ armour save.
Back to top Go down
http://sites.google.com/site/ourhouserules/mordheim
Dahag
Warlord
Warlord
Dahag

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Dueling pistols and automatic hits   pistols - Dueling pistols and automatic hits Icon_minitimeSun 26 Dec 2010 - 20:35

Keylan wrote:

where do the rules clearly state this? I never found it in mordheim (iirc). i think that is (only) from warhammer. if it is not an official mordheim rule then it would be a good house rule.

however, it would help a lot to improve dueling pistols which are on almost all aspects (concerning the shooting phase) inferior to throwing stars (at least if the model has S4 which admittedly is not always the case of course...)
Back to top Go down
Identity
Elder
Elder
Identity

Trading Reputation : -2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Lizardmen (Unofficial) Lizardmen (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Dueling pistols and automatic hits   pistols - Dueling pistols and automatic hits Icon_minitimeSun 26 Dec 2010 - 21:47

Keylan wrote:

Like Dahag, I couldn't find this on a cursory search of the rulebook, so I don't think it's as obvious as implied. Anytime you cite the rulebook, could you please give a source with page #? I don't doubt you, I'd just like to read it in context if possible (sounds like something from the rules review).

Dahag wrote:
however, it would help a lot to improve dueling pistols which are on almost all aspects (concerning the shooting phase) inferior to throwing stars (at least if the model has S4 which admittedly is not always the case of course...)
Haha, my group has houseruled many improvements to the armament of Mordheim, but dueling pistols are not one of them. We find them very powerful. You yourself pointed out their strengths and then stated that if you ignore those strengths (close combat and S3 models), then they're too weak. If you're a hero with S4+ and you like to avoid close combat, then stay away from dueling pistols! Giving a S3 model a brace of dueling pistols is about the most significant boost to a model's overall effectiveness which can be achieved with a piece of equipment in all of Mordheim.
Back to top Go down
squattingmouse
General
General
squattingmouse

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: Dueling pistols and automatic hits   pistols - Dueling pistols and automatic hits Icon_minitimeMon 27 Dec 2010 - 9:18

1 is awlays a fail. A BS of above 5 does mean you can enter the situation where you are at 2+ hit having moved and with a target in cover at long range instead making your marksmen much more mobile. My Bergjaegers in a previous campaign entered the state where they could move and snipe at anything on the board (provided they had LOS of course) and mostly hit on a 2+.
Back to top Go down
http://squattingmouse.tabletopgeeks.com/
Dahag
Warlord
Warlord
Dahag

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Dueling pistols and automatic hits   pistols - Dueling pistols and automatic hits Icon_minitimeMon 27 Dec 2010 - 10:15

Identity wrote:

Haha, my group has houseruled many improvements to the armament of Mordheim, but dueling pistols are not one of them. We find them very powerful. You yourself pointed out their strengths and then stated that if you ignore those strengths (close combat and S3 models), then they're too weak. If you're a hero with S4+ and you like to avoid close combat, then stay away from dueling pistols! Giving a S3 model a brace of dueling pistols is about the most significant boost to a model's overall effectiveness which can be achieved with a piece of equipment in all of Mordheim.

when did I point out or ignore the strength of dueling pistols? I did just compare them with throwing stars in the SHOOTING PHASE (only). And in this aspect they are rather inferior to throwing stars (if the carrying model has S4). So I can't see the inconsistency that I might have made. I did not speak about dueling pistols in cc, of course this must be taken into account as well for an overall comparison, but i did not do such a thing.

Anyway, I do not object to hitting on a 1+ should still fail on a 1. But speaking of which, I still have not seen such an OFFICIAL rule in mordheim. In warhammer yes, but not (yet) in mordheim.
Back to top Go down
Grimscull
Etheral
Etheral
Grimscull

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Dueling pistols and automatic hits   pistols - Dueling pistols and automatic hits Icon_minitimeMon 27 Dec 2010 - 13:00

[quote="Dahag"]
Identity wrote:

I still have not seen such an OFFICIAL rule in mordheim. In warhammer yes, but not (yet) in mordheim.
Me neither, though we did houserule that. And we did look it up in the RBs and FAQs we had. I believe most people take it for granted because they also play WHFB a lot or have played by this houserule for a decade. But it is, to my knowledge, not official.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dueling pistols and automatic hits   pistols - Dueling pistols and automatic hits Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dueling pistols and automatic hits
Page 1 of 1