Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Another Night Goblin Warband

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
benjaminography
Knight
Knight
benjaminography

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs
Achievements earned: none

night - Another Night Goblin Warband Empty
PostSubject: Another Night Goblin Warband   night - Another Night Goblin Warband Icon_minitimeFri 3 Dec 2010 - 12:39

I cannot take full credit for this at all, but instead of doing proper work yesterday, I ended up getting carried away in InDesign and making this:

NIGHT GOBLIN WARBAND

Please provide some feedback, it hasn't been play-tested yet.

- NB

The Dramatis Personae was a bit of a space filler. Make sure you read the story though.

And admire the art.

Version 1.1

- Adjusted some skills
- Changed snotlings (based on the snotlings StyrofoamKing designed)
- Other minor changes

Last edited by benjaminography on Sun 12 Dec 2010 - 20:32; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
StyrofoamKing
Etheral
Etheral
StyrofoamKing

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Another Night Goblin Warband   night - Another Night Goblin Warband Icon_minitimeFri 3 Dec 2010 - 21:29

Looks neat. A few notes (please excuse my curtness, I write notes succinctly)

Squig Herders vs. Bashers - Under choice of warriors, says "Bashers: Your warband may include up to 2 Squig Herder."

little hands + ded shooty - I saw this skill on other lists, and I couldn't understand why... then I realized that it's 'cause short bows have so little range! However, you forget: with Weapons Expert, you have them able to use Hochland rifles! Add on Eagle Eye, and you have a goblin sniper with 60" range! So, two possible fixes:
1. Add a "small hands" rules Like the halflings, so they can't use xbows, longbows, elf bows, handguns, blunderbusses, repeater crossbows, or long rifles. Which means all that's left to them, even with Weapons Expert, are bows, throwing knives, and xbow pistols.
OR
2. Make Ded Shooty only apply to certain weapons. May I suggest short bows, bows, and nets?

Heroes - you have your heroes suffer animosity (under their profiles), when it says only henchmen test for it.

Add nets to equipment

Boss pole - I've never used one, but I hear other players recommend that it be limited. Ex. one per warband / or leader only

mad cap - In the equipment section, you state the change in cost, but not the RULES- If you're going to bring them up in the spec. equipment section, might as well reprint them, just to save players search through their rulebooks

fanatics -add "may give mushrooms, despite being henchmen" -heavily implied, but never stated!
"Looney" - is redundant- merely add to "addict" the following "like any warriors that take the mushrooms, he gains frenzy and must roll for damage as usual."

Snotling mob - I've seen several people attempt the Snotling Mob, and I have to say, the worst are the "counts as multiple models" things, most of which are very poorly explained. My recommendation is to either: a) make them individual Snotlings and FORGET the mob, or b) make a "mob" a solid unit with W3 and A3. Want to "recruit" them as they die? Fine. Merely say, whenever a Mob is taken out of action, do NOT roll to see if the mob died. Instead, the Mob is at -1W and -1 Attack until you pay 10gc to replace the lost "Snotlings". If the Mob goes out of action again without being replenished, it will be at -2W and -2A until 20gc is paid. If the Mob's wounds are reduced to 0 or below in the post game phase without being replenished, the mob is instantly "dead". If a Mob is wounded in battle but NOT taken out of action, you do not need to pay to heal the unit, as they are assumed to have dusted themselves off.

By the way, the Snotling Stats are outrageous. You probably copy pasted the squig stats without realizing it. They're mostly 2s, if I recall.

Lucky - man, I'd love to stick him the "Wee War" setting, if you don't object.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/styroheim/
benjaminography
Knight
Knight
benjaminography

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Another Night Goblin Warband   night - Another Night Goblin Warband Icon_minitimeFri 3 Dec 2010 - 21:43

Thanks for the feedback StyrofoamKing!

There was a degree of cutting and pasting so I didnt have to reconstruct tables etc.

- Bashers text has been corrected
- I'll attach the 'Ded Shooty' specifically to short bows and nets as you suggested. It makes sense that a stronger proficiency would be had with their natural weapons.
- Animosity, can't believe I missed that one. Bashers and Hunters should test for it.
- Boss Pole will now be Boss only.

SNOTLINGS!

Good god that was an oversight. Whoops. I think youre right, as they are now they are a bit overly complicated. They would function well as a Giant Rat proxy, so I think I will base them more similarly to them.

Thanks again, you can only look at these things so long!:S

I'll upload an updated version later on.

Oh yeah, Lucky - Go for it! (What is Wee War though?)
Back to top Go down
StyrofoamKing
Etheral
Etheral
StyrofoamKing

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Another Night Goblin Warband   night - Another Night Goblin Warband Icon_minitimeFri 3 Dec 2010 - 22:02

Well, to be honest, I think the idea of heroes being "animosity free" is perfectly fair. He's proven his ability to lead by showing his boss that they can go 30 seconds without jabbing a knife into his teammates's eye.

snotlings as rats- that could work... although, that makes them as strong as goblins! May I offer an alternative? (Besides, the Giant Rats aren't quite worth the price)

0+ Snotlings 8 gc (10gc?) 9gc? [Goblins are 3/5ths of the cost of Orcs, so 9gc would be 3/5ths the cost of Goblins)
M WS BS S T W I A Ld
4 2 0 2 2 1 3 1 4
Equipment - None! Fights with sticks and rocks.
Special Rules -
Not Goblins: Goblins don’t expect much from Snotlings, and are therefore not unsettled if Snotlings break or get cut down in battle. In fact, they expect as much from these weaklings! Therefore, when testing to see if an Goblin Warband needs to take a Rout test, each Snotling taken out of action only counts as half a model. Therefore, a band of 5 Goblins and 10 Snotlings (15 models) would only have to take a test if 4 models fell (4 Goblins or 8 Snotlings, or some combination thereof).
Easily Goaded: As long as a friendly Goblin is within 6" of a Snotling, they automatically pass any Leadership Tests they are required to take.
Brainless - Gain No Experience

Thus, just like Goblins were the cheap screen to the Orcs, so the Snotlings are the cheap screen to the Goblins. Sure, they're definitely weak and don't gain exp, but they make a FEARLESS shield against both hth and shooting.

Wee War: Heh. It's a new campaign that I've been pecking at the last few months... it's Goblin vs. Halfling campaign, set in the Moot lands! Definitely very silly, and only small warbands, (goblins, halflings, gnoblars, snotlings) are allowed in.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&as_q=&as_oq=wee+war&as_sitesearch=boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com#sclient=psy&hl=en&source=hp&q=%22wee+war%22+site:boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&pbx=1&fp=1c030b17bae363c
. If you have anything to contribute, I'd be more than delighted to look at it.
Back to top Go down
Pathfinder Dubstyles
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pathfinder Dubstyles

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: Another Night Goblin Warband   night - Another Night Goblin Warband Icon_minitimeSun 5 Dec 2010 - 5:42

Hi Ben, nice formatting, i especially like the look and feel of your document.

It is nice to see that my warband , heavily dependent on those before it, has inspired another generation of spin-offs! It legitimizes my efforts.

I'm glad you kept the Madcap Master rule.

I absolutely love the story of Lucky the Halfling!

Now i feel bad for those wanting to use night goblins, there are so many variant warband lists to choose!
Back to top Go down
benjaminography
Knight
Knight
benjaminography

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Another Night Goblin Warband   night - Another Night Goblin Warband Icon_minitimeSun 5 Dec 2010 - 15:29

@ StyrofoamKing - I think I will use your snotling rules, seems alot more straightforward, especially for our group. Thanks for thinking of those! I'll price them as 10gc, as they are really handy meat shields. I'll attach a Pack Size rule to them too, which will justify the price (just so a green ocean doesn't manifest itself too soon)

@ Pathfinder Dubstyles - I know I should have asked your permission first, but thanks for making your warband available. I can make my InDesign version available if you want to make another pass at it. One thing I'd love to do is a generic Goblin Warband, like the mercenaries with three different subgroups - Forest, Night and Common.

ALTERNATIVELY, we could work on three subgroups of Night Goblins? Squig Heavy (Herders, and fancy squigs), Fanatic Heavy (an entirely frenzied warband?), and Numbers Heavy (lots of snotlings and lousy troops)? - perhaps that is all getting silly. But the idea of characterizing the lists for future players as oppose to everyone claiming the 'generic' night goblin list could be a good idea.

Just started my models. I'll try and get some pics up soon!

Thanks again guys.

PS - A very quick question regarding the BLACK ORC OVERSEER. If he becomes the leader of a goblin warband ( i know this was written in mind for forest goblins, but lets just pretend it was not) would he then be allowed to be re-equipped and gain heroes experience? I'd like to say yes to the experience, but know to the equipment, beyond perhaps misc items.
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Another Night Goblin Warband   night - Another Night Goblin Warband Icon_minitimeSun 5 Dec 2010 - 20:48

The Black Orc Overseer is one of those good ideas that doesn't go anywhere. There are no rules given to allow this so the quick answer is no. Second his rules in the first place aren't much good so there is little reason to take him (aside from the general lack of GREEN Hired Swords.)

Back to top Go down
Pathfinder Dubstyles
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pathfinder Dubstyles

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: Another Night Goblin Warband   night - Another Night Goblin Warband Icon_minitimeSun 5 Dec 2010 - 23:39

I've considered breaking the Night Goblins into several more focused warbands, even mentioned it in my thread, but cannot decide what to cut out to make that happen.
Back to top Go down
StyrofoamKing
Etheral
Etheral
StyrofoamKing

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Another Night Goblin Warband   night - Another Night Goblin Warband Icon_minitimeMon 6 Dec 2010 - 1:57

Here is my stab at the "common" goblin warband:

https://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/rules-and-gameplay-f1/wee-warband-goblin-riders-t4541.htm?highlight=goblin+raiders

If you have any ideas for it, I'd love to work on it with you. Maybe include the "snotling" rules. (You're right, I think - 10gc is a fair price, as their potential as shields far outweighs their lousy stats.)

Different types of Night Goblin Warbands:

If I may suggest, what if the you had 0-4 generic Night Goblin heroes, with the option of buying Paths? (Worked well with the Lothern Sea Patrol warband Master and I wrote.) Although, for Gobbos, you'd call them something more orcish, like "Jobz"

NIGHT GOBLIN JOBZ
Each Night Goblin Big Boy may purchase one of the following Jobz when he is first purchase. After creation, he may not purchase another, nor may he have more than one Job.

Shoota - The Big Boy may learn shooting skills, and has the skill "Ded Shooty", which gives him +6" range on short bows. Up to 3 Big Boys may purchase this job. +15gc.

Netters - The Goblin gains +6 inches when throwing nets, and ALWAYS starts the game with a free net- it may not be stored, sold or given to another warrior. He may also use or carry additional nets, which must be bought as normal. Up to 2 Big Boys may purchase this job. +10gc.

Basher - The goblin may learn ONE skill from the Strength list, in addition to his normal skills, and starts with +1 WS above the normal Big Boy level. Up to 3 Big Boys may purchase this job. +10gc.

Herder - When armed with a Squig Prodder, any Squigs within 12" of the Herder may reroll their Movement once, accepting the second result. Also, if a Cave Squig has lost control, and starts his turn within 12" of a Herder, the Herder may bring the squig under control on a successful Leadership test (may not use the Leader's Ld to help). Up to 2 Big Boys may purchase this job. +10gc.

Squig Hopper - May MOUNT a Squig - will move 2D6 or 3D6" every turn (choose before rolling). However, on a natural roll of Double 1 or Double 5, the Squig and rider bounce in a random direction. A Squig mount has the same stats as a normal squig, except S5, A2, and costs 50gc. Only 1 Big Boy may purchase this Job. Costs 10g, in addition to the Squig Mount.

Farmer - The Goblin has an affinity for growing mushrooms. Starts with Fungus Farmer skill. Also, the Goblin may learn ONE skill from the Academic list- he may not choose Arcane Lore. Up to 2 Big Boys may purchase this Job. +15gc

Sneaky Git - Starts with Sneaky Git skill, and gains access to Throwing Daggers. Only 1 Big Boy may purchase this skill. +15gc [Note: doesn't have access to shooting skills, so probably won't be broken]
Back to top Go down
RationalLemming
Etheral
Etheral
RationalLemming

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

PostSubject: Re: Another Night Goblin Warband   night - Another Night Goblin Warband Icon_minitimeMon 6 Dec 2010 - 12:32

benjaminography wrote:
PS - A very quick question regarding the BLACK ORC OVERSEER. If he becomes the leader of a goblin warband ( i know this was written in mind for forest goblins, but lets just pretend it was not) would he then be allowed to be re-equipped and gain heroes experience? I'd like to say yes to the experience, but know to the equipment, beyond perhaps misc items.

Officially no. However, I'd treat this like hired swords with a blood pact becoming a hero from the 'Swords of the Empire' article and allow the Black Orc to become a true hero type if it becomes the hero (with all of the benefits - able to be equiped, 90 xp, roll on the hero serious injury table, etc).

Here is the link to the thread about the article:
https://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/rules-and-gameplay-f1/liber-malefic-old-swords-on-new-contracts-t4536.htm
Back to top Go down
http://sites.google.com/site/ourhouserules/mordheim
StyrofoamKing
Etheral
Etheral
StyrofoamKing

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Another Night Goblin Warband   night - Another Night Goblin Warband Icon_minitimeMon 6 Dec 2010 - 12:47

well, the rules on him say:

Who’se Da Man!: If any Goblin leader is taken out
of action during the battle, the Black Orc steps up
to replace him. For the duration of the battle he
gains the Leader ability. If the Goblin leader gets
killed then the Black Orc decides to fill the new
vacant position permanently. The Black Orc
becomes the new warband leader, but he keeps his
upkeep cost (hey, a Black Orc can’t live on
mushrooms and fungus alone). The Black Orc does
not count towards the warband size when selling
treasure.

Looks to me that he REMAINS a hired sword... only, he's a hired sword who makes all of the decisions. Upkeep and experience are the same as a HS (although he gains +1 exp for winning...), he doesn't add to the max number of members in your warband, and if you DON'T want him to be your leader, easy- just don't pay his upkeep.
Back to top Go down
RationalLemming
Etheral
Etheral
RationalLemming

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

PostSubject: Re: Another Night Goblin Warband   night - Another Night Goblin Warband Icon_minitimeTue 7 Dec 2010 - 7:58

Actually, yeah StyrofoamKing is right. This is a different situation to what I was thinking.

If you were using the rules for blood pacts and you wanted to keep the Black Orc then when a blood pact occurred then I think at that point the situation would change. However, if you are not playing with the rules for blood pacts then the Black Orc stays a Hired Sword.
Back to top Go down
http://sites.google.com/site/ourhouserules/mordheim
benjaminography
Knight
Knight
benjaminography

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Another Night Goblin Warband   night - Another Night Goblin Warband Icon_minitimeSun 12 Dec 2010 - 20:21

Version 1.1

- Adjusted some skills
- Changed snotlings (based on the snotlings StyrofoamKing designed)
- Other minor changes

I'll put this on the top post too so it doesn't get lost.

More suggestions welcome
Back to top Go down
StyrofoamKing
Etheral
Etheral
StyrofoamKing

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Another Night Goblin Warband   night - Another Night Goblin Warband Icon_minitimeMon 13 Dec 2010 - 0:57

Lookin' good.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another Night Goblin Warband   night - Another Night Goblin Warband Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Another Night Goblin Warband
Page 1 of 1