Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

How To Paint Pirate Orcs

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
WarbossKurgan
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
WarbossKurgan

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: None

orcs - How To Paint Pirate Orcs Empty
PostSubject: How To Paint Pirate Orcs   orcs - How To Paint Pirate Orcs Icon_minitimeSat 6 Nov 2010 - 10:01

Dazza (on the Flame On forum) asked me to show him I paint Orc skin and I started with this in mind - while I was painting the rest of the model I carried on taking PIP photos so I though I may as well go the whole hog and do a start-to-finish tutorial.

So here goes!

PVA and sand the model's base and leave to dry over night. Undercoat the pirate black and leave that to dry another day. Have patience for Gork's sake!

Paint all areas of exposed skin with Orkhide Shade Foundation Paint.

orcs - How To Paint Pirate Orcs HPIM8846

Then using a Detail Brush, paint the raised areas of muscle with Snot Green in thin stripes, following the shape of the muscles. It's actually better at this stage if the stripes overlap a bit and (depending what you pot of Snot Green is like) you may have to paint a second layer to get a good rich colour. Make sure you leave all the recesses of the muscles with Orkhide Shade showing but don't try to get "smooth" edges to the areas of Snot Green - I think it looks better a little bit "ragged".

orcs - How To Paint Pirate Orcs HPIM8847

orcs - How To Paint Pirate Orcs HPIM8848

Using slightly watered-down Goblin Green paint more thin stripes over the Snot Green, but this time only a few in each raised area - this is the highlight so don't go overboard or the whole thing will look too bright!

I always painting fingers with the lines going across them, rather than along them - I like the wrinkled-skin look this gives.

orcs - How To Paint Pirate Orcs HPIM8849

orcs - How To Paint Pirate Orcs HPIM8850

orcs - How To Paint Pirate Orcs HPIM8852

The skin is finished!

Using a Fine Detail brush (or even a very pointy Detail brush) paint a line of Blood Red onto the eye.

orcs - How To Paint Pirate Orcs HPIM8853

Then a line of black just under the red. This separates the red from the green and makes the eyes "pop" a bit more. They look more spiteful and malicious to me!

orcs - How To Paint Pirate Orcs HPIM8854

Paint the teeth with Tausept Ochre (or Spearstaff Brown works just as well).

orcs - How To Paint Pirate Orcs HPIM8855

Paint the tips of the teeth with Bleeched Bone, leaving the base of each tooth in Tausept Ochre.

orcs - How To Paint Pirate Orcs HPIM8856

Now basecoat the whole of the model in what ever colours you chose. Metalwork just gets Boltgun Metal for armour and weapons. Earrings, buckles and weapon hilts normally get a Dwarf Bronze basecoat. The sword hilt on this one is bone though, so I used Deneb Stone.

orcs - How To Paint Pirate Orcs HPIM8857

I always go for earthy browns, greys and blacks with the odd touch of red but for this pirate I'm doing white and blue striped trousers.

orcs - How To Paint Pirate Orcs HPIM8858

It's much easier to paint the stripes over a solid background colour, rather than trying to paint the twice by filling in the gaps between you first colour! It needs a steady hand to get them even but don't worry - a little practice is all it takes. Any over-painting is easy to correct at this stage as none of the areas have any details yet! (except the skin, so be more careful in areas that border that...)

orcs - How To Paint Pirate Orcs HPIM8859

orcs - How To Paint Pirate Orcs HPIM8860

orcs - How To Paint Pirate Orcs HPIM8861

orcs - How To Paint Pirate Orcs HPIM8862

Leave the paint to dry for a few ours at this point. Metallic paints are tricky things and washing over nearly dry metallic paint is a bad idea. Tiny sparkly particles of paint occasionally get dragged onto non-metallic areas and they look horrible!

Devlan Mud! - every where except the skin and eyes (but I do give the teeth a slosh of it!)

When it's wet it looks pretty grim:

orcs - How To Paint Pirate Orcs HPIM8864

orcs - How To Paint Pirate Orcs HPIM8865

But when it dries it looks amazing!! Now we are nearly finished!

orcs - How To Paint Pirate Orcs HPIM8866

orcs - How To Paint Pirate Orcs HPIM8867

Using a similar technique to painting the texture into the skin, re paint the same colour as the basecoat onto each area, following the shapes of the raised areas and leaving the recesses in the wash-darkened colour.

orcs - How To Paint Pirate Orcs HPIM8868

orcs - How To Paint Pirate Orcs HPIM8869

For metallic areas just paint the basecoat colour onto the sharp edges.

orcs - How To Paint Pirate Orcs HPIM8870

You can also start adding the free-hand details you want, like checks (or crossbones!)

orcs - How To Paint Pirate Orcs HPIM8871

orcs - How To Paint Pirate Orcs HPIM8872

Some areas (by no means all) will look improved by a small amount of further, lighter highlights - a added a little white to the Dark Grey of the beard and picked out a few strands of hair with it.

orcs - How To Paint Pirate Orcs HPIM8873

The stripes didn't need any more than the basecoat colour painted over the wash.

orcs - How To Paint Pirate Orcs HPIM8874

Using Mithril Silver paint more thin lines onto the sharp edges of sword blades. No other areas of the Boltgun Metal need this final highlight - it makes the blades stand out more that the rest of the metalwork and look sharper!

orcs - How To Paint Pirate Orcs HPIM8875

If you paint towards the edge of the blade it easier to get a point onto each brush stoke, like painting lots of tiny, thin triangles along the blade with the points towards the back of the blade (hope that makes sense!).

orcs - How To Paint Pirate Orcs HPIM8876

Near done now! Add a few simple tattoos if you want - anchors are easy but octopuses, mermaids, fish skeletons and compasses all look very piratey!

orcs - How To Paint Pirate Orcs HPIM8877

orcs - How To Paint Pirate Orcs HPIM8878

orcs - How To Paint Pirate Orcs HPIM8879

orcs - How To Paint Pirate Orcs HPIM8880

I paint names onto the bases of my Mordheim warbands - it makes it easier to keep track of who has what weapons , skills or stats in the heat of the game! U use a Detail Brush and Skull White.

Now varnish it. I use spray Purity Seal in a thin layer and it seems pretty tough to me.

The next day (so the varnish is really dry) I paint the base with Graveyard Earth using a scruffy old brush. The sand really buggers up a good brush!

orcs - How To Paint Pirate Orcs HPIM8881

You have to layer the paint on pretty thickly, so it takes ages to dry. Come back to it tomorrow!

Dry-brush (see I do use dry-brushing!) the sand with Bleached Bone and sit back to admire your new completed Pirate Orc!

orcs - How To Paint Pirate Orcs HPIM8895

orcs - How To Paint Pirate Orcs HPIM8896

orcs - How To Paint Pirate Orcs HPIM8897

orcs - How To Paint Pirate Orcs HPIM8898

Let me know if you have any questions!!

orcs - How To Paint Pirate Orcs 665330
Back to top Go down
http://www.flameon.co.uk
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: How To Paint Pirate Orcs   orcs - How To Paint Pirate Orcs Icon_minitimeSat 6 Nov 2010 - 12:28

That certainly is a definitive tutorial by the Master of Orcy Piracy...EXCELLENT step-by-step with GREAT photos to backup the text. VERY WELL DONE! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Davespaceman
Knight
Knight
Davespaceman

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead

PostSubject: Re: How To Paint Pirate Orcs   orcs - How To Paint Pirate Orcs Icon_minitimeWed 10 Nov 2010 - 1:07

I've just thought what a good idea it is to put the names on the back of the base so I can read it without having to move or ask my opponent. Thanks for that. orcs - How To Paint Pirate Orcs 665330
And as always your painting looks lovely
Back to top Go down
Svenn
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Svenn

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: How To Paint Pirate Orcs   orcs - How To Paint Pirate Orcs Icon_minitimeWed 10 Nov 2010 - 15:36

Great stuff! I love tutorials like this with lots of photos. I really learn a lot. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.tabletopgeeks.com
Tewfik
Warlord
Warlord
Tewfik

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven

PostSubject: Re: How To Paint Pirate Orcs   orcs - How To Paint Pirate Orcs Icon_minitimeWed 17 Nov 2010 - 0:27

I love your work Warboss!

Thanks for the turorial as well, I just played my 1st game with Orcs over the weekend. Its an interesting change from Skaven...

Back to top Go down
http://www.tabletopgeeks.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How To Paint Pirate Orcs   orcs - How To Paint Pirate Orcs Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How To Paint Pirate Orcs
Page 1 of 1