Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

A collection of Hired Swords

Go down 
+16
Alex
Spectre76
Von Kurst
Pervavita
BurnTheWitch
Benji
Tewfik
sianpää
shotguncoffee
folketsfiende
Pathfinder Dubstyles
pascal the rascal
Speckie
Pirexian
DeafNala
Dreng Tromm
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Pirexian
Elder
Elder
Pirexian

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Middenheimers Middenheimers
Achievements earned: none

hired - A collection of Hired Swords - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: A collection of Hired Swords   hired - A collection of Hired Swords - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 27 Sep 2010 - 16:20

Very nice!
Back to top Go down
Dreng Tromm
Elder
Elder
Dreng Tromm

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: A collection of Hired Swords   hired - A collection of Hired Swords - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 28 Sep 2010 - 9:52

Greetings Fellow Travelers of the Old World!

First of all, let me thank everyone who took the time to go over my posts and those who cared enough to post their comments. As always, I appreciate all of your posts and consider them helpful in improving my craft.

@ folkietsfiende

The colors I used for Faeron Elenvir were from the P3 range. I used Iosan Green as my base, Gnarls Green for my shade color and Wyrm Green for my Highlight. I personally prefer P3 paints on account of the fact that their key colors come in base and highlight shades which makes using them easier and their application more intuitive. Second, P3 paints dries to a hard and satin finish which is resistant to chipping and unlike other paints, Formula P3 uses liquid pigments which basically means that it never separates even when thinned and retains its brightness even after thinning and drying.

@ DeafNala

Thank you very much for your kind comments whcih are always valued and appreciated. The "Tree Guy" definitely needs more attention paintwise. It actually is a toy which I appropriated for my miniature collection. I have already sealed all of the moveable joints with putty so as to further improve its tabletop appearance but the work is obviously far from done. I just thought that he would be an excellent companion and background for Faeron.

@ sianpaa

I would have to agree that the eyes of Glorrin are rather large than usual. I actually intentionally painted it to be so on account of a point that I was trying to prove with a friend of mine. My theory is that since Dwarves have for the longest time been living and working underground, their physical appearance have likewise adapted over time. They bacame diminutive in their stature (since they often work in tunnels and cramped places) and have become rather broad and muscular (on account of centuries of back-breaking work) AND since they often live and work in the dark, their sense of sight has likewise adapted HENCE the big eyes which is akin to that of the Tarsiers or other noctunrnal animals because the bigger the pupils the more light that goes into the eyes and the more light that goes into the eyes the better they could see in the dark (or maybe, he really is not too picky with the mushrooms he eats Laughing ).

@ Pirexian

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: A collection of Hired Swords   hired - A collection of Hired Swords - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 28 Sep 2010 - 13:55

Dreng Tromm wrote:
@ DeafNala

Thank you very much for your kind comments whcih are always valued and appreciated. The "Tree Guy" definitely needs more attention paintwise. It actually is a toy which I appropriated for my miniature collection. I have already sealed all of the moveable joints with putty so as to further improve its tabletop appearance but the work is obviously far from done. I just thought that he would be an excellent companion and background for Faeron.!

I thought that was the case...the screw on the jointed hand was a give away. There are quite a few "toys" that make GREAT models. The MacFarlane Dragons come to mind; I've done up a few of these for a Guy's D&D game. AND, of course, there's Lulu: https://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/fantasy-wargames-f15/the-tale-of-lulu-the-land-waster-t4272.htm What a Face
Back to top Go down
Dreng Tromm
Elder
Elder
Dreng Tromm

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: A collection of Hired Swords   hired - A collection of Hired Swords - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 30 Sep 2010 - 3:49

Halflings. like the dwarves are diminutive creatures ranging from three to four feet tall. They are neither very strong or very tough but they are smart, clever and cunning. They are also naturally good shots and are steadfast in the face of danger. They are a peace-loving, mild-mannered lot who are generally more concerned with the timing of their next meal than with military exploits but some halflings tend to be more ambitious than others and would sometimes leave the comforts of the Moot in search of adventure and these spirited halfings are sought after by mercenary bands for they are splendind archers and accomplished trackers... and they are excellent cooks to boot.

One of these stout-hearted halflings that have braved the streets of Mordheim is Good Luck Guy (pronounced as "gi" as in Guy de Maupassant ) and his human companion, Bad Luck Bob...

hired - A collection of Hired Swords - Page 2 WARHAMMER007-7

Good luck Guy's real name is Guy Sheel Issdair the World Walker while Bad Luck Bob's real name is Bartholomew Bree. Guy is a cunning and manipulative halfling who is also a user and an opportunist. It is these qualities that have consistently enabled Guy to get out of tight spots thereby earning him the nickname "lucky"

The two met in the forest boundary between the Moot and Stirland after Bob was rescued by Guy from a trap of Bob's own making.

Bob, on the other hand is a Stirlander woodsman who is not really the sharpest tool in the tool box. In fact, he is downright stupid who happens to also be a bit of a clutz (Someone who is extremely careless and a hazard to be around thereby earning for himself the nickname "Bad Luck". He also sports a glass eye after he literally blinded himself with another trap he was making... but that is another story!) but for all of his mental shortcomings, he is an extra-ordinarily gifted archer.

Guy, recognizing Bob's talent and realizing the advantages of having a human companion in a predominantly human-populated empire (halflings after all are not taken seriously by most men of the Empire), invited Bob to join him in his adventures and Bob, feeling that he owed Guy a blood-debt (after all, Guy did save his life right?), willingly came along. Together, the two makes an interesting and comical couple with people thinking that it is Bob who is the leader when in truth, it is Guy who is the real brains behind this unlikely partnership. Very Happy

hired - A collection of Hired Swords - Page 2 WARHAMMER008-4

I hope you guys like these two characters...
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: A collection of Hired Swords   hired - A collection of Hired Swords - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 30 Sep 2010 - 14:42

COOL minis & background fluff! Bad Luck Bob's five o'clock shadow fits nicely with the fluff. The expressive faces make both minis exceptional pieces. WELL DONE! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Tewfik
Warlord
Warlord
Tewfik

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven

PostSubject: Re: A collection of Hired Swords   hired - A collection of Hired Swords - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 1 Oct 2010 - 22:29

I love the Action shots of your models especially the Wizard that summoned the column of earth from the ground and the Slayer lunging forward off the chair.

I do think that the one guys sign should read "Will fight for Mead" instead of beer...
Back to top Go down
http://www.tabletopgeeks.com
Dreng Tromm
Elder
Elder
Dreng Tromm

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: A collection of Hired Swords   hired - A collection of Hired Swords - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 19 Oct 2010 - 7:21

It has been sometime since I made any posts in our Beloved Forum and the reason for this is because I have been busy painting several Empire Sate Troops for my Warhammer army. Consequently, I have several left-over bits which I then put together to make a unique Empire "Fire Wizard."

Meet Dietrich Herr Feuer...
hired - A collection of Hired Swords - Page 2 WARHAMMER003-14
Notice the flaming eyes and the "avatar-ish" tattoo on his forehead? Dietrich is made up of parts taken from several empire kits. His body and arms were taken from the new Flagellants, his head from the Knights sprue and his sword and staff, from the Wizard kit. When I painted him, I decided to give his robes that "fiery red" theme so as to remove any doubt as to what school of magic he represents.

Dietrich is a wandering Wizard of the Bright Order, the College of Magic which studies Aqshy, the Lore of Fiire. They are also known as Pyromancers.

hired - A collection of Hired Swords - Page 2 WARHAMMER004-12
I decided to add red tattoos on both his arms to further enhance his visaul link to the lore and fluff of such wizards because Pyromancers go through a series of physical changes after being exposed to the wind Aqshy.

The one first noticed by most people would be the Bright Wizard's hair, which takes on a fiery color of blond or red. In Dietrich's case, most of his hair had already been burned off but sometimes when he channels magic his head would glow and would appear like flickering flames. There are also the strange markings that appear on the Pyromancer's arms and face; many mistake these as tattoos, but they did not come from a needle. Other marks include glowing eyes, feverish skin, extreme discomfort in cold or rain, or a faint scent of brimstone constantly surrounding him

hired - A collection of Hired Swords - Page 2 WARHAMMER007-8
I also scribbled some "magical incantations" on to his attire to give him that added protection from the unstable winds of magic.

hired - A collection of Hired Swords - Page 2 WARHAMMER008-5
I then added a flaming sword and a Staff made from plastic rod to complete his look.

hired - A collection of Hired Swords - Page 2 WARHAMMER010-3
Finally, I painted the base to look as if there was fire showing through the cobblestones to give the impression that the wizard is drawing fire from the core of the earth itself.

Among the Bright Wizards, Dietrich is the most overtly offensive, not only because he tends to be unuasually aggressive and excitable by nature but also because he is the one who flagrantly displays his magical prowess. His spells range from concentrated firey blasts, to swords conjured of pure flame, to massive, all-consuming infernos. He is also trained in the martial arts of far away Cathay hence his general appearance. Because of this, various warbands would not hesitate to hire Dietrich provided they do not catch his ire themselves for those who do, usually end up being burnt to a crisp.

To Dietrich, the art of pyromancy is not a subtle one, and wherever it is employed, great change or great ruination tend to follow, whether intentionally or not.

I hope you guys like him...
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: A collection of Hired Swords   hired - A collection of Hired Swords - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 19 Oct 2010 - 14:07

It is a VERY NICELY painted mini wit an interesting base. thumbsup
Much as I hate to offer a critique on a finished mini, the flames on the sword are going in the wrong direction. That bit was meant to be held in a forward position with the point slightly down so that the flames would be rising in a natural fashion. Sorry to have mentioned this now that it's too late to do an easy fix. What a Face
Back to top Go down
Dreng Tromm
Elder
Elder
Dreng Tromm

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: A collection of Hired Swords   hired - A collection of Hired Swords - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 2 Feb 2011 - 6:38

From the deep dark labyrinthian libraries of the College of the Amethyst Wizards comes a figure cloaked in mystery. Meet Caiphas Vardrath the Necromancer.

hired - A collection of Hired Swords - Page 2 WARHAMMER001

Caiphas was once a battle surgeon who became fascinated with death and its prevention after his very own son, a soldier in the service of Altdorf died on his table. He eventually sought admission to the School of the Brethren of Shyish who studied the Lore of Death and because of his keen intelligence; He soon became an adept and an accomplished Amethyst Wizard.

Contrary to what many people believe, Amethyst Wizards are not Necromancers and have no spells that raise the Undead, nor would they want them. The Order of Shyish embraces the certainty of death and all other endings and its magic deals with time and the soul; of driving away or destroying the Undead; of causing a person or item to wither and age a decade in seconds; of draining a person of his vitality to empower the casting wizard; of communing with the recently dead; and of ripping a person's soul from his body to leave behind a decaying corpse.

Unbeknownst however to his colleagues, Caiphas’ fascination with Death went further than what was allowed by the College and he began to dabble in the forbidden arts of Necromancy. Caiphas sought to raise his beloved son and his dark experiments were soon discovered but before he could be arrested, he left Altdorf and disappeared.

He is rumored to have resurfaced in Mordheim where he is suspected to have continued his unholy research. To fund his experiments, Caiphas offers his services as a Wizard/Necromancer to anyone desperate enough to engage him. Long hours of study in dank crypts and catacombs have made his skin pale and corpselike. His figure, skeletal. Most people shun him for his peculiar looks and ways, but none doubt the power of Caiphas, for it is the stuff of nightmares.

His specialities are resurrecting fallen enemies into his service, cursing the enemies in a variety of ways and inflicting the enemies with poisons and diseases which reduce their ability to fight.

hired - A collection of Hired Swords - Page 2 WARHAMMER006-1

hired - A collection of Hired Swords - Page 2 WARHAMMER004-1

Last edited by Dreng Tromm on Wed 2 Feb 2011 - 9:58; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
folketsfiende
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
folketsfiende

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: A collection of Hired Swords   hired - A collection of Hired Swords - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 2 Feb 2011 - 9:41

I REALLY like Dietrich. Once again, your attention to detail makes for a smashing mini.
Back to top Go down
Dreng Tromm
Elder
Elder
Dreng Tromm

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: A collection of Hired Swords   hired - A collection of Hired Swords - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 2 Feb 2011 - 11:12

Greetings folketsfiende!

Thank you for appreciating Dietrich. The Fire Wizard is also a favorite of mine.

Incidentally, I would like to explain the rather awkward direction of the flames from his sword as pointed out by the comment and critique of Deafnala.

While I agree with the physics of DeafNala's observation, the mini was not intended to be viewed as if it is merely standing or that it was posed simply as a static model. The "flames" on his sword were intentionally positioned to face in a downward direction because I wanted to convey Dietrich in a dynamic pose and imply a sense of action so that when he is placed together with my Empire Swordmen, he could be percieved as if he is making a forward slashing motion. Consequently, I figured that the flames would naturally go in the opposite direction.

Using a bit of photoshop, this is how I envisioned Dietrich as he slashes his flaming sword in a forward direction...
hired - A collection of Hired Swords - Page 2 Firewizard-1

hired - A collection of Hired Swords - Page 2 WARHAMMER-1

I hope I got the physics right. Smile
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: A collection of Hired Swords   hired - A collection of Hired Swords - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 2 Feb 2011 - 12:26

I stand corrected...as a stop motion image it looks fine. The Photo Shopped image is VERY CINEMATIC...it would be so cool to be able have that sort of effect as a static feature. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Dreng Tromm
Elder
Elder
Dreng Tromm

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: A collection of Hired Swords   hired - A collection of Hired Swords - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 3 Feb 2011 - 6:08

After having painted Caiphas Vardrath the Necromancer, I decided to break open a box of Manitc Zombies (which I acquired as soon as they came out and I must say that these minis are awesome, both in terms of their sculpt and the proportion of their scale in terms of limbs and their over-all anatomy!).

So far, I have painted only 6 figures and I intend to add more to make not just a decent warband but maybe a considerable Zombie horde army!

Let me share my zombies... (quite frankly, I feel that the pics do not do justice to the actual paintjob. Maybe its time to invest in a better camera!)

hired - A collection of Hired Swords - Page 2 WARHAMMER006

hired - A collection of Hired Swords - Page 2 WARHAMMER005

hired - A collection of Hired Swords - Page 2 WARHAMMER004

hired - A collection of Hired Swords - Page 2 WARHAMMER002

hired - A collection of Hired Swords - Page 2 WARHAMMER007

hired - A collection of Hired Swords - Page 2 WARHAMMER003
In painting the foregoing zombies, I decided to make them as bloody as possible so as to convey the impression that they have just feasted (Of course, insofar as the Zombie who is just coming out of the ground, his hands are still blood-free because obviously he has not yet predated on living flesh)

And now, here is a group shot...

hired - A collection of Hired Swords - Page 2 WARHAMMER008
Back to top Go down
Benji
Veteran
Veteran
Benji

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Restless Dead (BTB) Restless Dead (BTB)

PostSubject: Re: A collection of Hired Swords   hired - A collection of Hired Swords - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 3 Feb 2011 - 8:44

Those zombies are frightening cool!!! And the blood on hands and around their mouth... Sweet!!!!
Back to top Go down
Dreng Tromm
Elder
Elder
Dreng Tromm

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: A collection of Hired Swords   hired - A collection of Hired Swords - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 3 Feb 2011 - 10:21

Thank you Benjie!

...and with a little photoshop, I think that my zombies can be "frighteningly cool-er!" Smile

hired - A collection of Hired Swords - Page 2 Zombieedited
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: A collection of Hired Swords   hired - A collection of Hired Swords - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 3 Feb 2011 - 14:45

VERY COOL...in an appropriately disturbing sort of way. The minis look GREAT, & you did a FINE job bringing them to life...the glossy, fresh blood effect is VERY convincing affraid . VERY WELL DONE! thumbsup

The Photo Shopped image is FANTASTIC. Making scenery for such photos is becoming a new focus for moi. What a Face
Back to top Go down
BurnTheWitch
General
General
BurnTheWitch

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ogres (BTB) Ogres (BTB)

PostSubject: Re: A collection of Hired Swords   hired - A collection of Hired Swords - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 26 Feb 2011 - 21:21

Looks great! Love the "will fight for beer"-sign Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Dreng Tromm
Elder
Elder
Dreng Tromm

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: A collection of Hired Swords   hired - A collection of Hired Swords - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 28 Feb 2011 - 4:02

Archers are a staple in most warbands. They are cheap and they are quire useful. Since I was already working on my Emppire army, I wanted to share with the community my take on an Empire Archer which, hopefully would provide some inspiration to others.

I was trying to figure our how to base my Empire Archers. As most of you know, I paint the bases of my Empire army with a cobblestone effect but with the archers, I wanted to come up with something that suited their fluff.

Empire archers are mostly woodsmen and are not really mainstays of an Empire army. They are used as forward scouts and skirmishers. I therefore wanted to convey their connection with the woods and the great outdoors (Hence I decided to use static grass!) rather than the city-look of most of my army BUT I still wanted them to look cohesive with the main force (thus, I still feel constrained to employ the cobblestone look!).

As a compromise, I decided against painting the cobblestone look on their bases since I figured that it would eventually get lost when I place static grass. Instead, I sculpted the cobblestones on to the bases and made them look broken in order to provide room for the static grass. I ended up with a rough, frontier-type and edge-of-town look which I was pretty happy with.

I have also decided to deploy my Empire archers with hunting dogs in order to generate additional points of interests. I recently acquired several Mastiffs from Warlord and I figured that these would be perfect companions for my Archers.

Here is what I have done so far...

hired - A collection of Hired Swords - Page 2 WARHAMMER001-19

hired - A collection of Hired Swords - Page 2 WARHAMMER002-18

I hope you guys like them. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: A collection of Hired Swords   hired - A collection of Hired Swords - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 28 Feb 2011 - 4:31

VERY NICE WORK as always! Teaming up the Hunters with the Dogs was a FINE idea. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Dreng Tromm
Elder
Elder
Dreng Tromm

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: A collection of Hired Swords   hired - A collection of Hired Swords - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 30 Mar 2011 - 3:22

I have just finished painting another Jade Wizard whose services are now available to any warband who could afford his services...

Meet Radagast the Brown!
hired - A collection of Hired Swords - Page 2 WARHAMMER004-18

The miniature is from GamesWorkshop's LOTR line which I have incorporated in my Warhammer Army/Mordheim warband.

I hope you guys like him!
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: A collection of Hired Swords   hired - A collection of Hired Swords - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 30 Mar 2011 - 3:32

VERY NICE WORK! The Woodsy Wizard could double as a Priest of Taal...multipurposing can be a fine idea with the cost of minis. Your choice of colors definitely gets across the man's calling. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Dreng Tromm
Elder
Elder
Dreng Tromm

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: A collection of Hired Swords   hired - A collection of Hired Swords - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 31 Mar 2011 - 9:44

I really do not have any specific thread to post this so I figured this would be the most appropriate location and just consider this guy as a huntsman and his pack of hunting dogs...

hired - A collection of Hired Swords - Page 2 WARHAMMER006-9

The dogs are Mastiffs from the Warlord line and the huntsman's body is from the plastic Militia kit of GW with a borrowed head from the hairy men sprue of the Plastic Empire Kinights .

I hope you guys like them!
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: A collection of Hired Swords   hired - A collection of Hired Swords - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 31 Mar 2011 - 17:55

BEAUTIFULLY PAINTED as always! I didn't realize that the Warlord Dogs were such a nice hefty size...I'm used to their true 25 E.C.W. line. thumbsup
My own take on the Middenland hunting pack that G.W. came up with is that it has an awkward look to it; having a Hunter for two or maybe three Hounds would give a better appearance...at least to moi. Suspect
Back to top Go down
Dreng Tromm
Elder
Elder
Dreng Tromm

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: A collection of Hired Swords   hired - A collection of Hired Swords - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 5 Aug 2011 - 2:36

greetings Fellow Travelers of the Old World!

I recently acquired a GW Citadel Finecast version of the Empire Captain with Hammer and pistol for my Empire army. This miniature could easily be incorporated into any human-type warband for a Mordheim campaign and I thought of sharing him with the community...

hired - A collection of Hired Swords - Page 2 EMPIRECAPTAIN001

and here's a look at some of my re-painted 6th edition GW hand-gunners/riflemen...
hired - A collection of Hired Swords - Page 2 Medievalgamingtable002-1

hired - A collection of Hired Swords - Page 2 Medievalgamingtable001-1

hired - A collection of Hired Swords - Page 2 Medievalgamingtable003-1

I love painting these old miniatures. Notice how the same model was given different faces? I did not sculpt on beards nor did I change heads. I simply painted on different faces.

The only problem with these old casts is the limited characterization. This can be problematic especially when you intend to field 20 or more of these miniatures because you end up looking with an army of clones. So, to provide some semblance of variation, the painter should treat each models as independent characters and strive to create individuals rather than a group.

I hope you guys like what I have done with them so far.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: A collection of Hired Swords   hired - A collection of Hired Swords - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 5 Aug 2011 - 13:42

VERY NICELY DONE! Not being one that is adept at using Green Stuff myself, I've found that varied paint schemes make for different personalities even if the mini is the same...your pieces prove that out VERY WELL. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A collection of Hired Swords   hired - A collection of Hired Swords - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A collection of Hired Swords
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next