Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Troll Slayers in Sea Dragon Cloaks?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Charybdis0
Warrior
Warrior
Charybdis0

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs
Achievements earned: none

Troll Slayers in Sea Dragon Cloaks? Empty
PostSubject: Troll Slayers in Sea Dragon Cloaks?   Troll Slayers in Sea Dragon Cloaks? Icon_minitimeMon 6 Sep 2010 - 0:21

We're playing in a Border Town Burning campaign at my local game store and the guy running the league has ruled that Sea Dragon Cloaks are not counting as armor and can be purchased but any warband with sufficient gold and the rarity role involved. As far as we can tell, there is no "Dark Elves Only" rule on them but we might have missed it.

With this comes the possibility of Dwarf Trollslayers with armor saves.

Has anyone else ever had this combination? Is it worth it to give them the armor if only to give them staying power till they can close to cc?
Back to top Go down
sartori
General
General
sartori

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead

PostSubject: Re: Troll Slayers in Sea Dragon Cloaks?   Troll Slayers in Sea Dragon Cloaks? Icon_minitimeMon 6 Sep 2010 - 4:39

Counting as armour or not, why does it matter? It is Dark Elf special equipment, and like most other warband's special equipment, is not readily available on the open market. I would love to hear the League dude's logic behind this...
Back to top Go down
Dahag
Warlord
Warlord
Dahag

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Troll Slayers in Sea Dragon Cloaks?   Troll Slayers in Sea Dragon Cloaks? Icon_minitimeMon 6 Sep 2010 - 9:34

First of all, welcome to this forum Smile

I must say, I have some problems with this argumentation, too.

1) I can't see why a Sea Dragon Cloak should not be armor. It does nothing else than providing armour saves.

2) Further, slayers would never wear any protection whatsoever. they seek a heroic death on the battlefield.

3) As sartori said, special equipment of warbands can only be bought by those warbands themselves. The only way for others to get access to it would be by capturing a warrior carrying the desired equipment (a Dark Elf warrior goes out of Action by a warrior of that warband and rolls "captured" on the Serious Injury Chart afterwards).

4) the rules for troll slayers state in the rules for "Dwarf Treasure Hunters", p. 22:

"Troll Slayers may be equipped with weapons chosen from the Dwarf Warrior equipment list. Slayers may never carry or use missile weapons or any form of armour."

----------

To protect the slayer you could give him a pair of dwarven axes and give him "master of blades". It lets him parry two attacks if he matches the to hit roll instead of surpassing it. And he can even reroll these parry attempts.

Further, dwarves are generally very powerful when it comes to defense, as they can raise to Toughness 5 and are only out of Action on a roll of 6.

But you can even improve that with dwarven skills: True Grit and Thick Skull. Even if he cannot wear a helmet, avoid being stunned on a 3+ is still more than worthwile.

And if you want to make him even harder to wound, you can also give him "resilience".

and for a little protection that also works against shooting, you could give him a lucky charm. And if you're really rich - an elven cloak. but again, there might be some fluff restrictions against this, too...

Back to top Go down
playtable
Ancient
Ancient
playtable

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Troll Slayers in Sea Dragon Cloaks?   Troll Slayers in Sea Dragon Cloaks? Icon_minitimeTue 7 Sep 2010 - 5:08

Oh, my!
I would hate to use the word fluff anywhere close to a troll slayer but...
Personally, I would never concider having a Dwarf use something an Elf made , it's just not right. Late one night, while you are sleeping, the Dwarf slayer might kill your whole warband in their storage container. At least chop your leader into pieces! Beware.
Troll Slayers in Sea Dragon Cloaks? Kopfschuettel Troll Slayers in Sea Dragon Cloaks? Icon_pale
Back to top Go down
Charybdis0
Warrior
Warrior
Charybdis0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

PostSubject: Re: Troll Slayers in Sea Dragon Cloaks?   Troll Slayers in Sea Dragon Cloaks? Icon_minitimeTue 7 Sep 2010 - 12:08

Talked it over with the guy running the league, apparently he had a master equipment list that had the Sea Dragon Cloaks on it. This has been adjusted, so the only way of getting the cloaks is to take them from the cooling bodies of our enemies. Thankfully there are a few Dark Elf players in the league.

I completely agree with the fluff argument, it's true that the Trollslayer would probably drop dead before putting on anything elven made.

From a purely mechanics basis, the idea of trollslayers with armor is something to fear though.
Back to top Go down
mweaver
Etheral
Etheral
mweaver

PostSubject: Re: Troll Slayers in Sea Dragon Cloaks?   Troll Slayers in Sea Dragon Cloaks? Icon_minitimeTue 7 Sep 2010 - 13:26

Yea for the guy running the League. Sounds like he is open to making adjustments when necessary. Good luck in the League!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Troll Slayers in Sea Dragon Cloaks?   Troll Slayers in Sea Dragon Cloaks? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Troll Slayers in Sea Dragon Cloaks?
Page 1 of 1