HomeFAQSearchRegisterUsergroupsBlogLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Share | 

We don't go to Mordheim...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
spetswalshe
Youngblood
Youngblood

Trading Reputation : 0

PostSubject: We don't go to Mordheim...   Sun 5 Sep 2010 - 10:52

How do. This shall be a record of my crude Mordheim fumblings over the last two years. As background; I was involved in Warhammer and such back when I was a kid, but quickly gave up after becoming interested in girls and drugs. Six or seven years later I realised girls and drugs were not, in fact, interested in me and so abandoned all pretense of being cool or popular and dived headfirst into Mordheim. I'm not a player - I don't actually know a single person with more than a passing interest in GW or any other tabletop game - but I am thoroughly obsessed with Warhammer background and Mordheim in particular. I started converting and painting from scratch, having never done either before (I don't count slathering Tentacle Pink onto Gorkamorka Orks when I was 13 because I like to imagine it never happened). Hence, these warbands serve to document my progression as a painter as much as my slow spiral into warpstone-riddled depravity. I should warn you, though, that while I've developed my painting skills a great deal since I started I've also become indolent and lazy, prepared to accept the most crude and basic of highlights before calling it a day and starting on something else.

I'm sticking this in the Gallery forum because these minis are less works-in-progress than works-in-perpetuity; I deliberately left the faces (especially eyes) for when I felt able to do them justice, and am not likely to revisit them anytime soon. I'm also an avid writer and have scrawled background for each warband, but I'll do the right thing and put them in spoiler tags for those who only wish to subject their eyes to one hamfisted attempt at creativity at a time. They're a framing device for my warbands, told for the viewpoint of a hoary current-timeline Ostermarker with more opinions than sense, and the first is below;

Spoiler:

And here is my first ever painted model - an Apprentice for a Merchant Caravan that remains in progress to this day. His name is Karl von Kessel, and was featured in my entry for the Show Us Your Border Town Burning competition a little while back;

First warband goes up when I get round to it in a few hours. Pic too big? Fluff text unnecessary? Shut up and get on with the photos? Let us know.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Speckie
Captain
Captain

PostSubject: Re: We don't go to Mordheim...   Sun 5 Sep 2010 - 12:02

A WRITER <3

Haha, Woah, can't wait to see the rest of your stuff, and keep adding all the stories! I like how you have managed to give a life story through the medium of tabletop gaming, and I mean that to be a compliment even though it sounds like I'm giving you diggs... WELL MAYBE I AM WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO ABOUT IT? Phew sorry, bit of rage there =)

Maybe i skipped reading it or something but what is your main Warband?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
spetswalshe
Youngblood
Youngblood

PostSubject: Re: We don't go to Mordheim...   Sun 5 Sep 2010 - 13:24

Compliments disguised as insults or threats are exactly how I like (and give) them Smile I don't really have a 'main' warband, just a most recent one. I like to think I'd use this first one in a tournament or campaign, since it is the most 'normal' while also subverting the intended theme of the original.

Sir Corantin's Quest Bretonnians/Middenheimers

Spoiler:

I feel the Middenheimer rules fit a Bretonnian warband much better than the actual Bret rules - squires? only one person with WS4? madness, I say - and so built this using them.

Spoiler:

Sir Corantin, Questing Knight and leader of the Quest (obviously), with his two Champions; Sir Aiden, Knight Errant, and Corantin's trusted aide and sergeant-at-arms, Bernhardt.

Spoiler:

The youngbloods; peasant girl Isa, peasant boy Yvain and their chien, Andolou.

Spoiler:

Warriors, sturdy men-at-arms who follow Sir Corantin out of duty and typical peasant lack of gumption.

Marksmen, filthy villeins who nevertheless provide valuable missile support to the Quest.

As I'm sure is obvious by now, I'm not the best painter, photographer, writer or modeller. I'm not going to apologise for such shortcomings every post, you'll just have to imagine I am.

Three more who have skills but lack breeding; far left is my Bretonnian-themed Tilean Marksman, directly inspired by a conversion seen on here; centre and right are swordsmen hired later on, or possibly Lads with Talent.

Next up - tomorrow, assuming I don't sustain grievous injury or forget - will be warband number two (total currently stands at five, with another nearing completion); the Longknives Expedition.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DeafNala
Honour Guard
Honour Guard

Trading Reputation : 8

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: We don't go to Mordheim...   Sun 5 Sep 2010 - 14:06

spetswalshe wrote:
As I'm sure is obvious by now, I'm not the best painter, photographer, writer or modeller. I'm not going to apologise for such shortcomings every post, you'll just have to imagine I am..

I've got a pretty decent imagination; SO...we've got some common ground. Actually there is no "best" painter; just some painters who are considered very good at what they do & have become very popular as a result. Suspect . One things for sure the second group of minis looks better than the first Lad. Taking the difference & projecting it into the future, you might just be "the best" painter down the road aways. ERGO, KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK! thumbsup

The fluff is what makes Mordheim. Whatever you come up with will be welcome; AND what you've come up with thus far is pretty good stuff. ALSO, there are quite a number of fellow "more painter/modeler/fluff freaks" here, myself included. WELCOME ABOARD! What a Face
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Davespaceman
Knight
Knight

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead

PostSubject: Re: We don't go to Mordheim...   Mon 6 Sep 2010 - 2:31

I like the warband and the fluff i used the menatarms models for my warband.

The questing knight is my favorite I really like the way he looks it's amazing what you can do just by mixing a few bits from other sets.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jackanory
Warlord
Warlord

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: We don't go to Mordheim...   Mon 6 Sep 2010 - 2:44

spetswalshe wrote:

and their chien, Andolou.
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Speckie
Captain
Captain

PostSubject: Re: We don't go to Mordheim...   Mon 6 Sep 2010 - 4:01

Lav Lav Lav the story!

gimme more plox, Cause I like having a chapter a day to read... mwahaha look what you've done now, I would love it if there was a background section on this forum... is there?

Loving the warband too. I have Bretonians for my fantasy army, win? Well they were win, they were pro... then infantry became stubborn and now my lances may as well be made out of rubber. OOO if they were made from rubber then the bretonians would probably be the most technologicaly advanced no? Liking my own logic here a lot... even if it is the sensless rambling of a teen.

But yeh likeDavespaceman said, loving how you can make some wicked stuff from different bits and bobs, hopping to steal some ideas from you for both the modelling and the story side.

Fianlly I also love how the dog looks so pathetically unferocious, cause I'd literally feel like i was killing a puppy if I attacked it, so I wouldn't. Pfft cheat.

-Speckie.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
spetswalshe
Youngblood
Youngblood

PostSubject: Re: We don't go to Mordheim...   Mon 6 Sep 2010 - 11:41

Cheers for the replies guys, nice to have recognition from real people who know what they're talking about (ignorant savages unable to tell the difference between a gnoblar and a necromancer do not, in my mind, constitute real people who know what they're talking about, and thus the opinions of my friends mean nothing to me). Those interested in kitbashed plastics will hopefully be justified in returning to this thread, because I utterly refuse to use metals unless it is necessary/easier. This next warband is a little light on story, but heavy on model-count;

The Longknives Expedition Skaven

Spoiler:

You will notice these filthy vermin sport the same colours as Sir Corantin's most noble Quest - that's because I was working from a very limited palette of about eight or so paints at the time. Red and black also happen to be my favourite colours - though after painting both these warbands I was really hoping to avoid such a scheme in the future. Alas, my most recent excursion hails from the darkest of lands where red and black are the only chromatic currency (apart from purple bruises and simpering green-skins), so I'm forced back to where I started from.

Assassin Adept Nobody and his trusted Black Skaven lieutenants. While Nobody is nothing special (ha!), he does sport a throwing bat (counts as throwing star); on his right is my favourite plastic model of all time, the old monopose plastic 'crabrat' from the Warhammer Quest box - he's an exception to the rule of GW model size creep, being large and intimidating enough to serve as a perfect Black Skaven.

Spoiler:

Centre is a suitable Eshin Sorceror model, though I actually made him up as a simple club-armed Verminkin; he could also serve as a characterful Warlock hired sword. Night Runners on the flanks. They have scratchbuilt throwing-star-launchers (based on those pull-tab spinner launchers you get as kids) because I refuse to give a twitchy, tunnel-dwelling can't-stay-in-one-place stabbit-kill group of rats an actual sling and a sack of blunt stone for him to sling with.

Spear-armed Verminkin, and a compatriot with a bell/club. The spearrats are later additions, from the recent Skaven Clanrat sprues.

Spoiler:

Your typical no-good dirty rats. I'm not a fan of club/sling tomfoolery, so they've got the more skaven-like armament of a vicious club (for knocking out man-things) and a long knife (for stabbing them up good).

Assorted Giant Rats. Because no warband is complete without furry friends. The two larger rats are from the WHQ box, (one with an old clanrat tail-swap, for variety), as is the giant flying rat bat.

Spoiler:

Looking at the plastic Doomwheel sprues gave me a hankering, and I soon sourced an old Rat Ogre model. The red is a little brighter than the older models - turned out to be a mistake.

Here is the handler with his charge. Jewellery chain stiffened with superglue gives them a diorama feel while also allowing the handler (probably a promoted Verminkin) to be removed when he inevitably flees the battlefield to save his own mangy hide.

Ever wonder where a skaven spends his money? Who he unloads the warpstone to after every battle? Exactly what kind of ratman is crazy enough to ply his wares near the surface, smart enough to be trusted with such a job and disposable enough to be 'trusted' with the Mordheim secret, all at once?

Meet Warlock Engineer Snivet (centre-left), an indentured servant of Clan Eshin and an essential link in the supply chain between Mordheim and the Undercity. He also sells his services as a Coreheim hired sword (though if I had known the IoB Warlock Engineer pics were to be released days later, I probably never would have converted him). Snivet has globes instead of a pistol because I foolishly used my long-hoarded Kroot pistol on the Ogre handler.

While Snivet and his (brown-furred) Stormvermin bodyguard were purpose-built after the Coreheim rules were released, the rest of his entourage are actually just Longknives practice figures who happened to fit his colourscheme. They're a pretty good example of my very early painting attempts, and my more recent ones.

There we have it. Whom shall be next in this gallery of horrors? A particularly vile example of the bands plaguing our cursed city, I fear - the murderous knaves who call themselves the Night Lords of Mordheim.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Speckie
Captain
Captain

PostSubject: Re: We don't go to Mordheim...   Mon 6 Sep 2010 - 13:12

if I had to choose a favourite, whisch is blatently easy as they're all so rubbish *jealousy* I'd have to say the one with the spear in the final images, The paint job is amazing and look of him is wicked. I kind of want him to suddenly become a pirate O_o... Look I'm just saying it might be a good idea! Whatever >_<.

Again the stories were epic, will be eagerly awaiting tomorrow's instalment. Hope they never end, though I know they shall =(
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DeafNala
Honour Guard
Honour Guard

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: We don't go to Mordheim...   Mon 6 Sep 2010 - 14:48

PRETTY COOL LOOKING RAT GUYS! I like the scarlet & black colors...I must, I'm using them on my new Night Goblins Suspect . The Rat Ogre & Handler are an ESPECIALLY NICE piece...I imagine the Big Guy reaching back, grabbing the chain, AND, viola, an improvised Morning Star with a squishy weighted end bit. ALL VERY WELL DONE! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
View user profile
spetswalshe
Youngblood
Youngblood

PostSubject: Re: We don't go to Mordheim...   Tue 7 Sep 2010 - 15:31

Again, ta for the support guys - the Brown Skaven is my fave too, and Rat-on-Chain is certainly the martial art preferred by the more jocular of Moulder's creations. Please find below the warband I am probably most proud of - the apex point, after my painting had improved a great deal but before I got lazy and just couldn't be bothered anymore. Certainly, it seems like the last warband where I relied on labour-intensive dry/overbrushing rather than washing techniques. This is also my first real divergence from regular Mordheim lists; I see the Night Lords as a campaign antagonist or GM warband, rather than an actual, feasible player force. For one, I find giving the Night Lords mere Brethren profiles insulting - not to mention the fact that the band probably costs 1000gc, all told. For some reason, I don't have a group photo of these guys.

Night Lords of Mordheim Cult of the Possessed

Spoiler:

The Magus, magister of the Lords, and his pet possessed (constructed from Tyranid, Ork Boy and Flagellant spares).

Spoiler:

Side view, so we can see the poor rightmost Possie's head. A Tyranid weapon symbiote arm provides the other's eye-hand.

A rear view, with my favourite detail - the Possessed have hearts locked in a box on their belts, and what does the Magus have attached to his scabbard? Two keys...

Spoiler:

Two Beastmen and a Darksoul (an ancient, pre-Necromunda metal Scavvy mini, whom I picked up on Ebay for a pittance and who brilliantly sports a grotesque lower-face mask, just like every good Darksoul).

Rear of the Darksoul/Beasties. The Beastman's whip is from an Ork frame, I think. I always intended to give the Beasts a wash to blend the highlights in, but I'm actually quite enamoured of the extreme contrast look and worried about screwing it up.

Spoiler:

The Libertine and the Coveter. The Libertine has a suitably arrogant Bretonnian head. It isn't every day you get to make a model who carries both a cane and a skull-hilted machete.

Spoiler:

Rears. Luther, the Coveter, sports a High Elf Spearman torso, which I feel is criminally underused.

The Glutton and the Beast. The Beast is intended to be an unstoppable frenzied powerhouse - the Glutton less so, though note he is eating a frog on a stick, that probably counts for something.

Spoiler:

Yes, that's right - the Glutton laughs at your feeble wineskins because he carries an entire corked goat corpse on his back.

The Engineer and his manservant. Bows? In a Possessed warband? It's more likely than you think.

Spoiler:

The Engineer's body is that of an Empire artillery officer - very fitting, I feel.

Servants of the Magus; Brother Rat, the Herald and the Smiler. The Smiler is my favourite - a distinctly daemonic hermaphrodite both alluring and disturbing in equal measure.

Spoiler:

A rear shot, just to point out that the royal purple splash colour - used to link both servant and nobles in the warband - applies to everyone, even filthy Brother Rat.

Spoiler:

What could possibly come next, after this band of rogues? What manner of creature can combine the raw power of the Possessed, the insane depravity of the Night Lords and the cold, terrifying genius of the Magus? The answer shall be revealed tomorrow; suffice to say you will learn to fear the name of Richter Cornival (extra hint; it's a BTB warband).

Last edited by spetswalshe on Wed 8 Sep 2010 - 7:33; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DeafNala
Honour Guard
Honour Guard

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: We don't go to Mordheim...   Tue 7 Sep 2010 - 16:44

It's interesting how the stories make the minis more than they seem, & the minis give life to the stories. All you need is to provide a set for your little actors to strut their tale upon. A FINE PIECE OF INSPIRATION! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Soulblight
General
General

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

PostSubject: Re: We don't go to Mordheim...   Wed 8 Sep 2010 - 2:37

I really like this little stories ´bout you minis!
Gives them a bit history that im quite fond of! And sparkling a flare of insopiration even!
Also reminds me of the fluff in the rulebook! Good ones!

So keep them coming!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Speckie
Captain
Captain

PostSubject: Re: We don't go to Mordheim...   Wed 8 Sep 2010 - 9:54

I feel like I'm sitting by the fire in some tavern listening to some old hasbeen with an eyepath weaving his tales for a tuppence.

Not calling you a hasbeen, or old... okay I am. But it's in a complementative way! Honest!

Anyway really love the fluff... hate how your models get more awesome with each new post.

GIVE ME MORE!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
spetswalshe
Youngblood
Youngblood

PostSubject: Re: We don't go to Mordheim...   Fri 10 Sep 2010 - 15:09

Thanks again for the kind words. An eyepatched hoary veteran deep into his cups is exactly what I was going for with the narrator (though I myself am sprightly, effeminate teetotaler with two eyes that basically work fine). Alas, thirty hours of door supervisor training in three days is playing merry hell with my Mordheim, but here's the next warband (light on models, heavy on story);

Richter Cornival, the Fleshcrafter, the Monster of Pikelburg, the Rime Man Restless Dead

Richter Cornival and his Restless Carnival, group shot. I love necromancers and the undead, but I hate vampires and really don't want an Undead warband filled with living ghouls. Much lamentation was due, until the fine men at Border Town Burning rode to the rescue.

Spoiler:

Richter clutching his stuffed pet vulture, Raven. He is flanked by Dieter Klammerer, a peasant boy desperate for power and to show the world that he is nobody's village idiot (I deliberately gave him a youthful face, to counteract the typical elderly necromancer image; he is very much an apprentice, knowing only a few cantrips and spells to make his master's life easier), and by some horrific mannikin creation.

Spoiler:

The Grave Guard, ancient former soldiers tomb-robbed from barrow mounds and raised with a spark of identity. Anyone guess where the halberd-wielder's body is from?

Spoiler:

Wights, including an undead Skaven and some kind of greenskin creature; a little skinny for an orc, and a little orcish for a hobgoblin.

Spoiler:

Lastly, the Zombie meatshields. Given the amount of Beastmen littering the Empire, I felt it fitting that one should serve Richter. The human is a fallen Cathayan mercenary, sporting a Tau Fire Warrior torso. I still don't know why I did that.

Our sorry tale is almost complete, but there are still more dark deeds of which to tell. Next we have the shaky alliance of Rallo's Rough Men, who stand ready to do violence on behalf of the Empire, and Sigmar's Blades, who stand ready to do violence because it amuses them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
spetswalshe
Youngblood
Youngblood

PostSubject: Re: We don't go to Mordheim...   Thu 16 Sep 2010 - 15:10

Last warband, until I finally finish these Black Dwarfs....

Rallo's Rough Men / Sigmar's Blades Witch Hunters

Spoiler:

The Rough Men and their Blade allies. They're from Ostermark, but I can't stand painting peasants with expensive purple-dye clothes, so I changed the colour scheme to that of Stirland.

Spoiler:

The witch hunters themselves, with Rallo centre left. They're plastic Archer bodies, and at first had gloss coat on the black leather until I realised how waxed leather has the exact opposite effect. Plus it looked silly.

Spoiler:

Hounds! Cornerstone of any WH band. From the GW LotR range, Farmer Maggot and his dogs. A good compromise between the tiny plastic Bret M@A dog and the big metal WH warhounds. I like the centre rottweiler; the others look more like witch-sniffers than fighting dogs.

Spoiler:

Sigmar's Blades. I still regret not painting the Blades in Sigmarite red like the priest, to help differentiate them, but I didn't have that idea until later.

Spoiler:

Warrior-Priest Father Sonne and his Flagellants. Sonne is ginger mainly because ginger stubble tends to remind me of violent drunks, for some reason (my own beard comes through ginger but my own prejudice doesn't apply to me). His hammer is actually a pretty rare bit - the clue is in the background text.

Zealots. Drunks, thugs and crazies, mostly from Militia bits.

Spoiler:

A back view of some of the lads. That's a former vampire-hunter on the left, or possibly just a witcher long enough in the tooth not to leave anything to chance.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DeafNala
Honour Guard
Honour Guard

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: We don't go to Mordheim...   Thu 16 Sep 2010 - 16:52

The stories match the minis to the teeth...EXCELLENT STUFF! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
View user profile
spetswalshe
Youngblood
Youngblood

PostSubject: Re: We don't go to Mordheim...   Sat 9 Oct 2010 - 15:58

These boys have been painted for a few weeks now, but I've only just got round to photographing them; they're another divergent warband, using a weird and untested mix between the BTB Black Dwarfs and the vanilla Dwarf Treasure Hunters.

Hellspire Harvest Team - Black Dwarfs

Group shot; the entire warband, apart from the greenskins, was constructed using one Dwarf Warrior sprue, one Thunderer sprue, one Artillery sprue and a small amount of greenstuff - with loads of spare parts left over.

Spoiler:

Kurgan Blackthirst Al-Akar, Harvester for Zharr-Naggrund's Hatespire district, Dawi Ascendant, holder of the Third Quarter of the Truth of the Dawi-Zharr and leader of this motley crew. An inveterate moustache-twirler. His daugher, Korona Blackthirst Ar-Elza, is a pretty nasty piece of work too.

Spoiler:

On the right; Barakuz Firespit Al-Horgas, Kurgan's most trusted lieutenant in matters of combat. On the left; Aris, an outsider who serves as Kurgan's most trusted lieutenant in matters of accountancy.

Spoiler:

Two Henchdwarfs with blunderbusses; I don't like the exaggerated funnels of GW blunderbusses, so I just replaced some Thunderer handgun barrels with plastic rod to make them look more like the proto-shotguns of history.

Spoiler:

'Toothless' Znerri Vashtar Al-Faraz. He's getting on a bit - a lot - and the Dawi-Zharr don't respect the elderly like their Western cousins do, especially if they're drunk on snakebite+black all the time. He's constantly bitter about this, and hence gets drunk even more to spite them. He is accompanied by a pair of pack-Gnoblars; regular plastic Gnoblars, one with a metal Mordheim backpack and one with a collection of plastic bits on a greenstuffed pack.

This will be my final warband for the time being. I have Kurgan's scarred Ogre Bodyguard in the works, and I'll post him here when he's done, but the other models I have ready for painting (Freidgang's Merchant Caravan and associated Hired Swords) are going to have to wait; November sees me start a Vampire Counts army headed up by the loveable Richter Cornival (see earlier post). I'm particularly stoked to be converting up the Bird of Pikelburg.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DeafNala
Honour Guard
Honour Guard

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: We don't go to Mordheim...   Sat 9 Oct 2010 - 17:32

Those are TERRIFIC caricature style minis...perfect opponents for my Night Goblins. A VERY IMAGINATIVE take on the Vertically Challenged Baddies. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: We don't go to Mordheim...   Today at 9:15

Back to top Go down

We don't go to Mordheim...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1