Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Good Warbands for Hired Swords

Go down 
+3
mweaver
Wyrdstone Dave
Night_Daggers
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Night_Daggers

Night_Daggers

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven
Achievements earned: none

Swords - Good Warbands for Hired Swords Empty
PostSubject: Good Warbands for Hired Swords   Swords - Good Warbands for Hired Swords Icon_minitimeSat 4 Sep 2010 - 2:32

Are there any warbands that function particularly well with hired swords?

I am interested in starting a warband that includes a lot of hired swords, but the fees to keep them on board seem steep. I am thinking I want an elf, a troll slayer and a halfling scout, maybe an ogre (but I doubt I could afford it!).

Are there any warbands that can buy hired swords at a discount or that work well with hired swords? Are there any skills or items to reduce the costs of hired swords upkeep?

Right now all I can come up with are Marienbergers for the extra cash.

Last edited by Night_Daggers on Sat 4 Sep 2010 - 3:16; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Wyrdstone Dave
Warlord
Warlord
Wyrdstone Dave

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

PostSubject: Re: Good Warbands for Hired Swords   Swords - Good Warbands for Hired Swords Icon_minitimeSat 4 Sep 2010 - 3:04

Hi Night_Daggers

There are no official warbands that can hire hired swords cheaply. There are a few options though:

1. The dwarf treasure hunters roll an extra dice to find wyrdstone so are likely to have a higher income than others. But their heroes and henchmen are expensive so you'd have hired swords at the expense of core troops.

2. Warbands that can take academic skills can get the wyrdstone hunter skill and thus generate a higher income. Witchhunters are a good option here because all heroes can take academic skills. Plus you max out at 12 warband members pretty quickly and most troops (except flagellants) are cheap.

3. Some warbands are able to hire a wider range of hired swords than others. The human mercearies and witch hunters can hire a lot. The skaven can't hire any out of the core rulebook.

With the 3 hired swords you mentioned, just remember that the dwarf and elf won't willingly go in the same warband. With both in the warband upkeep fees would be 60 gc! The halfing scout is useful mainly for allowing you to incraese the maximum size of your warband. He's not particualrly dangerous and is usually hired after a warband already has the halfling cookbook.

If you like the idea of a dwarf and elf in the same warband, one option would be to use an elf or dwarf miniature but proxy it for another hired sword. The dwarf slayer could use the pit fighter stats for example. The elf could use the Tilean marksman stats. You'd just need to be clear about this with opponents so they understand what's what.
Back to top Go down
Night_Daggers

Night_Daggers

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Good Warbands for Hired Swords   Swords - Good Warbands for Hired Swords Icon_minitimeSat 4 Sep 2010 - 3:46

Thanks for the help Wyrdstone Dave!

It's a shame that the Dwarf and Elf don't work well together, but I should have figured that would be the case given the fluff. I think I'll probably axe the Dwarf as the Elf helps pay for his upkeep with his modifications to the exloration phase. I don't think I'll enjoy playing the dwarf if he doesn't have dwarf rules.

I like the fact that you pointed out the income increasing options, I'll definitely use those to help cover my costs.
Back to top Go down
mweaver
Etheral
Etheral
mweaver

PostSubject: Re: Good Warbands for Hired Swords   Swords - Good Warbands for Hired Swords Icon_minitimeSat 4 Sep 2010 - 5:42

I think (except for the elf problem) dwarves are a good choice. As Wyrdstone Dave mentioned, the extra shard they automatically find does tend to mean extra gold - esp. once they have promoted henchmen to take the 5th and 6th hero slots. But there is another reason as well - all of their heroes have high leadership, which means Tarot decks are a good investment. If you aren't familiar with the Tarot Decks, they cost 50 g.c.. A hero makes a leadership check before the game - if he succeeds he may adjust one of the search die by +/-1 (the Elf Ranger skill). If he fails by 3 or more he is so spooked by a bad reading he sits the game out... but with Ldr 9, a dwarf hero would have to roll 12 to spook himself. The ability to adjust your rolls means that you can hit the "returning a favor" result much more frequently. We allow a warband that rolls "retuning a favor" to keep a current hired sword without paying the upkeep.

If you are attracted to the multiple hired sword idea because you like the the multi-ethnic idea, you might look at the old "Adventurers" warband that used to be on the Strike to Stun site. The five heroes were a sorcerer, and elf archer, a dwarf (not a slayer), an Imperial noble, and a barbarian. We played with them a lot, and they are fun, although we did decide they needed a bit of tweaking (probably they should start at 11 experience rather than Cool.
Back to top Go down
Night_Daggers

Night_Daggers

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Good Warbands for Hired Swords   Swords - Good Warbands for Hired Swords Icon_minitimeSat 4 Sep 2010 - 16:36

Hello mweaver,

I think the tarot decks are a great idea. Also, those dwarves have a skill that allows them to adjust a die by +1/-1 as well, which means they can really rake in the cash.

I was definitely going for the multi-ethnic idea, but I think I want to shy away from the experimental warbands.
Back to top Go down
Gobbo Freak
Elder
Elder
Gobbo Freak

Trading Reputation : 7

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Good Warbands for Hired Swords   Swords - Good Warbands for Hired Swords Icon_minitimeSun 5 Sep 2010 - 20:17

get Rabbit's Feet for your heroes to allow a re-roll in exploration if not used in battle, it's a nice combo with the tarot cards.
Back to top Go down
Nastyogre
Veteran
Veteran
Nastyogre

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Middenheimers Middenheimers

PostSubject: Re: Good Warbands for Hired Swords   Swords - Good Warbands for Hired Swords Icon_minitimeSun 5 Sep 2010 - 23:13

Buy an Arabian Merchant he generally makes his cost back every game. You can use his abilities to buy an item at half cost every game and sell items at full value (potentially)

I Can often fund another of the cheaper hired swords with him as well.

Halfling scout is effective and very cheap.

Elf ranger is somewhat pricey but that +1 -1 on the exploration can be paired with the merchant to get results that yield equipment you can sell.

Back to top Go down
edward
Veteran
Veteran
edward

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

PostSubject: Re: Good Warbands for Hired Swords   Swords - Good Warbands for Hired Swords Icon_minitimeMon 6 Sep 2010 - 5:49

does anyone have a link for the adventurers warband
haven't been able to find it and it sounds cool
Back to top Go down
hero
Elder
Elder

PostSubject: Re: Good Warbands for Hired Swords   Swords - Good Warbands for Hired Swords Icon_minitimeMon 6 Sep 2010 - 7:10

I'm pretty sure the human mercenaries have widest selection of hired swords available.
Back to top Go down
Gobbo Freak
Elder
Elder
Gobbo Freak

Trading Reputation : 7

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Good Warbands for Hired Swords   Swords - Good Warbands for Hired Swords Icon_minitimeMon 6 Sep 2010 - 8:02

the adventurers are from strike-to-stun IIRC, but that site is OOA...
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Good Warbands for Hired Swords   Swords - Good Warbands for Hired Swords Icon_minitimeMon 6 Sep 2010 - 8:14

If you go for fluff, you should take Marienburgers. They begin with more gold, but the main reason is the fluff thats tates they are lilely to hire any mercs to do their dirty work. As such, marienburgers are great to act as paymasters in a hired sword concentrated merc warband.

Yes, they might not be able to afford them for any lengthy periods, but they still feel more fluffy than dwarves, who would seem all to proud to seek aid of humans or other races, especially if they have to pay them Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Good Warbands for Hired Swords   Swords - Good Warbands for Hired Swords Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Good Warbands for Hired Swords
Page 1 of 1