Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Cork-plate buildings - Completed!

Go down 
+4
HornedRat
Handlebar
superscenic
DeafNala
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

Cork-plate buildings - Completed! Empty
PostSubject: Cork-plate buildings - Completed!   Cork-plate buildings - Completed! Icon_minitimeFri 27 Aug 2010 - 16:10

So, as well as trying to refine my painting skills, I thought Id do the same tiwh my terrain building skillz Very Happy

I found some cheap cork-plate boards and thought "why the fudge havent I seen any buildings made of cork!?" and bought me a few packs.

As it seems, cork is very easy to work with, both cutting and carving patterns, and it is very durable also! THe downside is that it gets REALLY messy, as everytime you cut or file, a fine dust of cork will cover pretty much everything...

Anyway, here are some pics of two small ruined towers and a large inn, all made of cork (except the inn roof, which is cardboard)

Also a pic of the round cork-platter I used for making the towers. For the inn, I used a larger rectangular one, a bit thinner too.

Cork-plate buildings - Completed! Toolsm
By opheliate at 2010-08-27

Cork-plate buildings - Completed! Smallruins

Cork-plate buildings - Completed! Ruinedinn04

Cork-plate buildings - Completed! Ruinedinn02

Cork-plate buildings - Completed! Ruinedinn01

Now, all that is left is painting them... Razz

Last edited by Opheliate on Fri 10 Sep 2010 - 14:45; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Cork-plate buildings - Completed!   Cork-plate buildings - Completed! Icon_minitimeFri 27 Aug 2010 - 16:52

VERY NICE WORK! The cork has the advantage of giving you natural texture; PLUS you did a FINE job on fabrication. Ilook forward to seeing the pieces all painted up. thumbsup

BTW Matakishi's Tea House has a cool article on doing buildings in cork. www.matakishi.com What a Face
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Cork-plate buildings - Completed!   Cork-plate buildings - Completed! Icon_minitimeFri 27 Aug 2010 - 17:22

Thanks! And I do NOT look forward to painting them Razz
Back to top Go down
superscenic
Captain
Captain
superscenic

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Cork-plate buildings - Completed!   Cork-plate buildings - Completed! Icon_minitimeFri 27 Aug 2010 - 17:29

Now why didn't I think of that?

Those building look brilliant. The way it crumbles looks like concrete.
Back to top Go down
http://clemssuperartblog.blogspot.com/
Handlebar
Warrior
Warrior
Handlebar

PostSubject: And for riverbanks, too!   Cork-plate buildings - Completed! Icon_minitimeFri 27 Aug 2010 - 18:19

The Major General has some nice uses of cork in his scenery section.

http://www.zeitcom.com/majgen/21grsc.html

I like the river banks in particular.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Cork-plate buildings - Completed!   Cork-plate buildings - Completed! Icon_minitimeFri 27 Aug 2010 - 18:39

Wow, river banks have never looked so good! Smile

I will try to do some good small hills for my Mordheim graveyard using cork I think, those looked really good as well!
Back to top Go down
HornedRat
Elder
Elder
HornedRat

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven

PostSubject: Re: Cork-plate buildings - Completed!   Cork-plate buildings - Completed! Icon_minitimeSat 28 Aug 2010 - 2:20

I agree the cork does look really nice. I have always liked the use of cork for rubble.

Looking forward to the painted pics!
Back to top Go down
http://www.pbase.com/therat
wobbly_goggy
Champion
Champion
wobbly_goggy

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead

PostSubject: Re: Cork-plate buildings - Completed!   Cork-plate buildings - Completed! Icon_minitimeSat 28 Aug 2010 - 14:52

crumblestastic! let's see them painted!
Back to top Go down
http://wobblygoggy.wordpress.com/
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Cork-plate buildings - Completed!   Cork-plate buildings - Completed! Icon_minitimeSat 28 Aug 2010 - 15:31

*sigh* I will try to paint them this weekend (i.e today or tomorrow), but dont hold your breath Smile
I am prone to comitting to new projects before the last ones are completed Razz
Back to top Go down
Handlebar
Warrior
Warrior
Handlebar

PostSubject: Re: Cork-plate buildings - Completed!   Cork-plate buildings - Completed! Icon_minitimeSun 29 Aug 2010 - 0:56

A Kindred spirit!

My son is helping me finish off my gaming table tomorrow in my recently excavated (aka cleaned) basement. I had to give up my landfil... er... office, for wife's TV goals, but I ended up with a much better room for hobbies.

Once that's done, I'm hoping to finish projects I'm working on before taking on new ones, but alas, I am all too familiar with what will probably occur...
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Cork-plate buildings - Completed!   Cork-plate buildings - Completed! Icon_minitimeMon 6 Sep 2010 - 8:20

Just wanted to let ppl know I am almost done with it. The project has grown to, for me, unseen proportions, adding furniture and beams etc.

Over and out.
Back to top Go down
Pirexian
Elder
Elder
Pirexian

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Middenheimers Middenheimers

PostSubject: Re: Cork-plate buildings - Completed!   Cork-plate buildings - Completed! Icon_minitimeMon 6 Sep 2010 - 18:05

What material do you use for your bases mate?
The cork looks amazing by the way. It gives a lot of depth and volume to your scenery, very nice indeed.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Cork-plate buildings - Completed!   Cork-plate buildings - Completed! Icon_minitimeMon 6 Sep 2010 - 18:39

The bases are made from some kind of rock plates. They are made for candles to stand upon, but I thought they made excellent bases for buildings, as they will create natural sidewalks when situated beside other buildings, with main roads between them. They arent that expensive either (10-20 swedish crowns depending on size, making about... 1,5 - 3 dollars or 1 - 2 english funny-money). The sizes are everywhere from 100x100 mm, to the ones I used above, and square ones almost as wide Razz

I will also have used Cernite clay to create furniture, which worked surprisingly well! You'll see the results soon Sir, yes sir!
Back to top Go down
Speckie
Captain
Captain
Speckie

PostSubject: Re: Cork-plate buildings - Completed!   Cork-plate buildings - Completed! Icon_minitimeMon 6 Sep 2010 - 18:55

Stone beats scissors, Cork beats my paper mache *sad face*

Nice job dude.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Cork-plate buildings - Completed!   Cork-plate buildings - Completed! Icon_minitimeFri 10 Sep 2010 - 14:47

Here it is, my cork plate inn! With cernite clay furniture Smile

Cork-plate buildings - Completed! Ruinedinncomplete06
By opheliate at 2010-09-10

Cork-plate buildings - Completed! Ruinedinncomplete05

Cork-plate buildings - Completed! Ruinedinncomplete05

Cork-plate buildings - Completed! Ruinedinncomplete03

Cork-plate buildings - Completed! Ruinedinncomplete02

Cork-plate buildings - Completed! Ruinedinncomplete01

---

What say you? I've been working day and night Razz
Back to top Go down
BargainBinArcher
Champion
Champion
BargainBinArcher

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Sisters of Sigmar Sisters of Sigmar

PostSubject: Re: Cork-plate buildings - Completed!   Cork-plate buildings - Completed! Icon_minitimeFri 10 Sep 2010 - 15:17

That turned out quite well! I like how you painted patterns on the floors, very nice touch. I say you should uncork a bottle of wine to celebrate... and then maybe use that cork for your next project?
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Cork-plate buildings - Completed!   Cork-plate buildings - Completed! Icon_minitimeFri 10 Sep 2010 - 15:43

BargainBinArcher wrote:
That turned out quite well! I like how you painted patterns on the floors, very nice touch. I say you should uncork a bottle of wine to celebrate... and then maybe use that cork for your next project?

Good idea! Now, I aim to make a castle made from whine corks alone! I have counted to 416 bottles of whine, which means I should get started. I mean, if you gotta, you gotta cheers
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Cork-plate buildings - Completed!   Cork-plate buildings - Completed! Icon_minitimeFri 10 Sep 2010 - 18:29

That was quick! It painted up VERY, VERY NICELY! I like your choice of colors. thumbsup
Your 416 cork castle sounds like it could land you in a 12 step program. drunken
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Cork-plate buildings - Completed!   Cork-plate buildings - Completed! Icon_minitimeFri 10 Sep 2010 - 18:58

Yeah... imma on muh *hic* third buttl... ish goin' t'be hoaard tae drank t'rest o em... Drinkin' makesh me schpeek lakka gobbo! geek
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cork-plate buildings - Completed!   Cork-plate buildings - Completed! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cork-plate buildings - Completed!
Page 1 of 1