HomeFAQSearchRegisterUsergroupsBlogLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Share | 

Blindness

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Karskin
Warrior
Warrior

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Blindness   Fri 27 Aug 2010 - 8:01

Discussion has come up as to how to handle a character that loses both eyes without retiring them from the warband. Here are some of the special rules I've come up with so far:

------------------------------
Blind character has -1 WS and 0 BS and -2 Initiative. Subtractions to skills are applied to the maximum skill for the character's race, so a Human can only have 5 WS and 4 Initiative maximum. The 0 BS does not mean he can not use missile weapons at all, he can still use the magical artifact the Bow of Seeking (in my opinion this would make him the awesomest blind character ever).

The blind character may not parry or cast spells if they require a spellbook, as he well always strikes last.

The blind character no longer gains benefits from the following skills: Step Aside, Wyrdstone Hunter, Strongman, Dodge, Scale Sheer Surfaces.

The blind character is immune to fear from fear causing models, although still suffers from fear causing spells, even if they act as regular fear (ie. the blind character would still have to take a fear test when charging the Necromancer who has cast Death Vision).

When the blind character is not within 6 inches of another friendly model it has to take an all alone test regardless of if there are enemies nearby. If he fails then he moves his normal movement in the direction of a scatter die. Reroll direct hit results from scatter die. If he walks into a wall his movement ends.

On the Serious Injuries chart treat another roll of Blind In One Eye as Dead. Treat Sold To The Pits as Captured. Treat Bitter Enmity as a Full Recovery unless there was another friendly model who within 6 inches of the blind character when the blind character was taken out of action, and only apply it's effect in battle if there is a friendly model within 6 inches of the blind character. The witness must have Line of Sight, survive the battle, and not be stunned when the blind character is taken out of action.

In the Scenario Wyrdstone Hunt the blind character may not pick up Wyrdstone shards. In Hidden Treasure he may not find the treasure. The blind character may roll an exploration die for the exploration chart, but the value is discounted from the amount of Wyrdstone found. He may roll to find rare items in the market as normal.
-------------------------

This has only covered vanilla rules, I would like to have more input on how to deal with unique attributes of other official and unofficial warbands, as well as how it would be adapted to newer rules or other house rules.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
qboid
Elder
Elder

PostSubject: Re: Blindness   Fri 27 Aug 2010 - 10:24

This has me chuckling at the possibilities Very Happy

If the Blind model has declared a charge, a Ld test should taken.
If passed, the Blind model charges his intended target. If failed the model should charge in a random direction (scatter die) and attack a random friend or foe he contacts.
If he hits a wall, 1 STR 3 hit should be applied.

Magical missile attacks should also use this rule.

If the Blind model is an Orc, he can be ordered to "feed the troll" , regardless of the warband having the money to pay for food.

If the Blind model is a pirate, there should be a D6 bonus to the available EXP points used to recruit new models. This represents the added status of the warband for having a pirate with 2 eyepatches

If a blind model is used in exploration, the same tests for finding a well should be applied.

Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Karskin
Warrior
Warrior

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Blindness   Fri 27 Aug 2010 - 11:03

I forgot to write about charging! I was going to say it should use the rules of charging a target you can't see (nyuk nyuk) where unless there is another model withing 6 inches with LoS you have to take an initiative test. The reason I made his initiative so low is because I really want him to be a helpless, bumbling nimrod without people yelling at him what to do. Also walls being a S3 hit? I've run into walls before. Many times. I assume it was still more pleasurable than being hit with a sword!

Haha a pirate with 2 eye patches. I don't know what you mean by EXP points to recruit though. Do pirates need EXP to recruit new units? If so I have a friend currently playing pirates in our campaign and I will have to go yell at him.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
qboid
Elder
Elder

PostSubject: Re: Blindness   Fri 27 Aug 2010 - 11:59

I have never really read the Pirate rules so i could well be wrong.

But having two patches should give them some bonus.
Think of the prestige!

Knife Fighter Skill - If bind , the model throws 3 knives in random directions!

Repeating crossbow- If used by a blind model, a natural roll of 1 to hit causes the model to empty his magazine uncontrollably in one round. Fire 5 bolts in random directions, after which the weapon is empty for the rest of the game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mweaver
Etheral
Etheral

PostSubject: Re: Blindness   Fri 27 Aug 2010 - 12:58

"Do pirates need EXP to recruit new units?"

I don't think so, unless they are attempting to recruit experienced henchmen into existing henchman groups. You have to roll 2d6 to see how many experience points worth of appropriate henchmen are available for you to hire. All warbands have that rule.

The blind guy sounds entertaining. I think, rather than adjust his WS, it would be better (and a more consistent penalty) to say he is -1 on the die roll to hit his opponent, and an opponent is +1 on the die roll to hit him.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Karskin
Warrior
Warrior

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Blindness   Fri 27 Aug 2010 - 21:02

mweaver wrote:
"Do pirates need EXP to recruit new units?"

I don't think so, unless they are attempting to recruit experienced henchmen into existing henchman groups. You have to roll 2d6 to see how many experience points worth of appropriate henchmen are available for you to hire. All warbands have that rule.

The blind guy sounds entertaining. I think, rather than adjust his WS, it would be better (and a more consistent penalty) to say he is -1 on the die roll to hit his opponent, and an opponent is +1 on the die roll to hit him.

That would actually fix the balance I was thinking about with the racial maximums thanks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Blindness   Today at 9:37

Back to top Go down

Blindness
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1