Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Non-Gw Scales

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

Non-Gw Scales Empty
PostSubject: Non-Gw Scales   Non-Gw Scales Icon_minitimeThu 12 Aug 2010 - 19:47

So, I was planning to get my hands on some awesome Reaper Models, but I noticed they are 25mm scale, and if im not mistaken, GW models are 28mm scale. Is this true? And if so, is the difference even notable?

I ask as I do not want my Heroes to be a head shorter or less bulky than my henchmen...

Any general guidelines concerning scale?
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: none

Non-Gw Scales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Non-Gw Scales   Non-Gw Scales Icon_minitimeThu 12 Aug 2010 - 20:38

Wouldn't it be nice if the various mini makers would get their act together & standardize what they call the height of their minis? Non-Gw Scales Suspect There is virtually no to little difference between Reaper's heroic 25s & G.W's 28...both if measured to the top of their heads are somewhere between 28 to 32 mm high.

The height also depends on the type of mini;e.g., G.W.'s Chaos Warriors are larger & bulkier than their Empire et al sized humans. SO...how well they match up depends on what War Band you're doing.

BTW you'd probably get more response to your thread in the Painting Modeling Section rather than the Gallery (finished minis only)...would you like me to move it? Non-Gw Scales Fresse
Back to top Go down
folketsfiende
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
folketsfiende

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

Non-Gw Scales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Non-Gw Scales   Non-Gw Scales Icon_minitimeFri 13 Aug 2010 - 8:35

Opheliate wrote:
I ask as I do not want my Heroes to be a head shorter or less bulky than my henchmen...

Any general guidelines concerning scale?

Reaper generally mix up well with GW. I've done many warbands mixing minis from several makers (check out the warbands via link in sig).

As for the head shorter thing, I personally think that a realistic warband should have height and girth differences. Surely you can model the more heroic ones with fitting equipment, should they lack it?

And yes, this thread should be moved.
Back to top Go down
5pointer
Elder
Elder
5pointer

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

Non-Gw Scales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Non-Gw Scales   Non-Gw Scales Icon_minitimeFri 13 Aug 2010 - 9:38

Reaper minis match up very well generally to GW, as has been said before.

That said, the Reaper Dwarf Miner (as a Treasure Hunter Hired Sword) I have is quite taller - more akin to the old-old GW Dwarfs (the ones that still had knees). I've given him the name 'Thovak the Tall' to honour his height! Smile
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Non-Gw Scales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Non-Gw Scales   Non-Gw Scales Icon_minitimeFri 13 Aug 2010 - 10:02

I agree, you can move the thread.

Thanks for the answers, though. I'll go ahead and get some of those cool Reaper minis i've been eyeing then Smile

Any other manufacturer that uses appropriate scales? Or, rather, any manufacturers you should avoid (scalewise, that is Razz )?
Back to top Go down
folketsfiende
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
folketsfiende

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

Non-Gw Scales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Non-Gw Scales   Non-Gw Scales Icon_minitimeFri 13 Aug 2010 - 11:46

Opheliate wrote:
Any other manufacturer that uses appropriate scales? Or, rather, any manufacturers you should avoid (scalewise, that is Razz )?

These are my general notions about scale, derived from personal experience, so don't take them too seriously. Again I refer to pics of my warbands, which should make good comparison material.

Gamezone are about equal to GW
Black tree design slightly smaller
Red Box slightly smaller, slightly more slender
Resina planet markedly taller, and less stocky
Warcrow slightly taller, slightly more slender
Kraken editions (Alkemy) markedly more slender, slightly smaller
Black scorpion about the same as GW, sometimes slightly more slender
Celtos markedly smaller
Foundry in general slightly smaller
Warmachine/Hordes more slender, generally on par with GW lengthwise

When I've written that the difference is slight, they're about the same as LOTR minis, or between LOTR and other GW stuff.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

Non-Gw Scales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Non-Gw Scales   Non-Gw Scales Icon_minitimeFri 13 Aug 2010 - 12:47

AND, as if by magic, the thread is moved...damn I'm GOOD! Non-Gw Scales Fresse

On the size thingy: West Wind minis tend to be somewhat taller & bulkier than G.W./Reaper.; they're about the same size as the Ron & Bones minis. HOWEVER, if you were going for a War Band of Norse Dwarves (the Dwarf War range), they look TERRIFIC...& quite reasonably priced. Their Vampire Wars range have some REALLY GOOD minis for a Witch/Vampire Hunter &, obviously, a Vampire Gang. I used one of their Heroes, with a bit of modification, as a Mercenary Captain; the added height rather enhanced the feel of his position. Non-Gw Scales Fresse
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Non-Gw Scales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Non-Gw Scales   Non-Gw Scales Icon_minitimeFri 13 Aug 2010 - 14:01

Thanks for the answers! Feels a lot safer now Smile
Back to top Go down
Rudeboy
Elder
Elder
Rudeboy

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Restless Dead (BTB) Restless Dead (BTB)

Non-Gw Scales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Non-Gw Scales   Non-Gw Scales Icon_minitimeFri 13 Aug 2010 - 14:16

I think GW is 28 mm Heroic, which means that the hands and weapons are over sized in relation to the rest of their body, which is nice because it makes them easier to paint, and thin weapons like swords, and bows a little thicker so that they are more durable.

Also I have noticed that even within GW different races vary in size, so for example Dwarves tend to be shorter, but with thicker bodies, arms, legs, hands, and feet. Elves tend to be taller and thinner then humans. Marauders are super ripped humans, and Orcs look like humans that have taken so many steroids that they have devolved, and turned green.
Back to top Go down
5pointer
Elder
Elder
5pointer

Personal Info

Non-Gw Scales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Non-Gw Scales   Non-Gw Scales Icon_minitimeFri 13 Aug 2010 - 14:28

As no one else has mentioned them:

Avatars of War are (obviously when you think of the main sculptor) spot on with GW minis (the AoW Beastman mini leads my own warband).

Clan War seem close to GW, although maybe slightly smaller/more slender. Difficult to get hold of, but worth it for a Nippon warband Smile
Back to top Go down
folketsfiende
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
folketsfiende

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

Non-Gw Scales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Non-Gw Scales   Non-Gw Scales Icon_minitimeFri 13 Aug 2010 - 14:55

5pointer wrote:
Clan War seem close to GW, although maybe slightly smaller/more slender. Difficult to get hold of, but worth it for a Nippon warband Smile

Actually available via CMON (coolminiornot) nowadays!
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

Non-Gw Scales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Non-Gw Scales   Non-Gw Scales Icon_minitimeFri 13 Aug 2010 - 15:08

folketsfiende wrote:
5pointer wrote:

That brings up a question I've been meaning to ask: I've often considered recommending CMoN as a mini source to our European Forumites. BUT I wasn't sure how well they do on International orders...SO, how well do they do? Non-Gw Scales Fresse
Back to top Go down
5pointer
Elder
Elder
5pointer

Personal Info

Non-Gw Scales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Non-Gw Scales   Non-Gw Scales Icon_minitimeFri 13 Aug 2010 - 15:27

folketsfiende wrote:
5pointer wrote:

Wow, thanks for the tip!

Even though I've got a warband worth of Clan War minis mostly not available via CMON, I might pick up some Mantis Clan minis and do another warband Smile (purely for nostalgic reasons - I used to be known as Yoritomo Ujiro, although if anyone recognises that name on here I'd be amazed!)
Back to top Go down
BossFacePunch
Warrior
Warrior
BossFacePunch

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info

Non-Gw Scales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Non-Gw Scales   Non-Gw Scales Icon_minitimeFri 13 Aug 2010 - 16:06

5pointer wrote:

Valiant Miniatures has re-issues of the Clan Wars models.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Non-Gw Scales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Non-Gw Scales   Non-Gw Scales Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Non-Gw Scales
Page 1 of 1