Some time ago me and Skavenblight decided to make a new board for Mordheim, BTB, Warhammer and some other tabletop wargames we play. Due to storage issues we decided to build a double-sided one, with cobblestones on the one side and dirt with grass on the other. I managed to take some photos during the production process to prepare some kind of a tutorial - perhaps you'll find it somewhat useful and inspiring
Enough talking, let's start:
1. First of all, I ordered two 48" x 24" MDF boards. Two smaller pieces are easier to storage than one large and putting them together makes our beloved 48" x 48" in total. Moreover, it will be possible to expand the board in the future by adding an additional 48" x 24" part in the middle.
2. I also bought some styrene insulation foam, 6 mm thick (sometimes known as depron or something like that) to carve the cobblestones in it.
3. Before sticking the foam to the board I sandpapered the surface.
4. Using a wide brush I covered the MDFs surface with a special styrene glue.
5. As the MDF board is larger than styrene foam sheets it was necessary to cut some additional pieces in order to cover all the surface.
6. The board with foam sheets attached to looked like this:
7. Then came a boring part of the work
: carving the cobblestones with a pencil...
8. ...until it looked like this.
9. After I finished carving the cobblestones I started preparing HDF edges for our board. They're useful for at least two reasons. Firstly, in case of the double-sided board they act similarly to bases. Regardless of which side is currently up the whole board rests on them and not on the finished, painted, surface. Secondly, the edges prevent the miniatures, terrain pieces, dice etc. from falling off the board.
In order to prepare the edges I cut some 3 cm wide HDF stripes.
10. I sticked the edges to the board using the PVA glue...
...and tiny nails.
11. I regret not taking some more pictures during this part of the work... Now I can only show you the final effect, after painting the edges with resistant oil black paint.
12. It was high time to take care of the other, grassy side of the board. I made the texture of this side in a quite simple and well known way: I mixed large amount of sand with PVA glue (and with some old out of date resin as well
) and covered the board surface with this mixture.
13. It took some time for the wilderness texture to be dry and ready to paint so I moved to the city cobblestoned side and undercoated it with black paint mixed with PVA glue (it toughens the paint after it dries) and additional pigment (better covering effect; similar to foundation paints).
14. When the black paint dried I drybrushed the cobblestones with several layers of grey, starting with darker tones and finishing with almost whitish (though there were about 3-4 layers I've got only one photo to post it below).
15. The final effect (white splashes on the right side are only light reflexes from the nearby window - don't worry, it isn't white paint which accidentally poured down on the board
16. Then I came back to the wilderness side and undercoated it with brown paint mixed with PVA glue.
17. I brightened it then with lighter tones of brown.
18. The finishing move was covering the board with electrostatic grass. Using a paintbrush I applied several patches of PVA glue on the wilderness side and spread the grass on them using a special feeder. Unfortunately I don't have any more pics on this part of the work :/.
The finished wargame board - enjoy