Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

New Player, combat turn question

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Califax9898

Califax9898

Trading Reputation : 0

Combat - New Player, combat turn question Empty
PostSubject: New Player, combat turn question   Combat - New Player, combat turn question Icon_minitimeSun 11 Jul 2010 - 15:57

So new to Mordheim and wanting to bring it into my gaming group, it seems like a nice change from me being the DM and actually getting to play a table top game for once. Smile

So when going over the combat sequence I have some questions about how its resolved.

Player A charges Player B, Since A is charging he gets first strike. The attack is rolled and lets say its a hit but fails to wound. Still on player A's turn, player B's character that was charged and narrowly missed a wound gets to attack back. B rolls to hit and fails.

Now its player B's turn, no additional charges are made and we move to combat. Player A is in base to base with player B but since no charge is happening we go off the initiative of both chars. Player A has a 3 and player B has a 2, so player A gets to swing first this time, he rolls to hit succeeds and rolls to wound succeeding in that as well. Player B rolls injury and is taken out of action.

Is this the correct interpretation of the combat sequence? If not could someone set me straight?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
toemasss
Captain
Captain
toemasss

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ogres (BTB) Ogres (BTB)
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: New Player, combat turn question   Combat - New Player, combat turn question Icon_minitimeSun 11 Jul 2010 - 17:05

It seems like you've got the combat sequence down. I can see no problems here, though Player A should roll the injury on Player B's model (just because its so much more satisfying).

Edit: and welcome to the forum.
Back to top Go down
RationalLemming
Etheral
Etheral
RationalLemming

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

PostSubject: Re: New Player, combat turn question   Combat - New Player, combat turn question Icon_minitimeMon 12 Jul 2010 - 0:31

Welcome!

Looks OK to me. I agree with toemasss that the attacker should roll for injury. I don't think it is stated in the rules but it is fun for the attacker to get that extra roll.

Also, some items (e.g. Rabbit's Foot) allow one dice in the game to be re-rolled. In your interpretation Player B would get to re-roll the injury roll if Player B wanted to aim for a lesser injury (e.g. stunned instead of OOA). Just something to keep in mind when you choose who gets to roll for injury.
Back to top Go down
http://sites.google.com/site/ourhouserules/mordheim
Califax9898

Califax9898

PostSubject: Re: New Player, combat turn question   Combat - New Player, combat turn question Icon_minitimeMon 12 Jul 2010 - 15:48

Thanks for the feedback!

So I have another question in regards to shooting knocked down and stunned models.

Lets say player A has some dwarf snipers in a tower and player B is caught out in the open running around with wyrdstone like an idiot (aka me) all alone. Player A takes the shot, hits, wounds, and on the injury rolls stun.

Player B's turn comes around and the model goes from stunned to just knocked down, maybe crawls the 2 inches he is allowed but is still in the open.

Player A's turn now again and the dwarf in the tower takes aim and hits again....

Now my question is does player A need to roll for injury again or does the model go out of action like it does in close combat when knocked down and then attacked?
Back to top Go down
WarbossKurgan
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
WarbossKurgan

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: New Player, combat turn question   Combat - New Player, combat turn question Icon_minitimeMon 12 Jul 2010 - 16:52

Califax9898 wrote:
Now my question is does player A need to roll for injury again or does the model go out of action like it does in close combat when knocked down and then attacked?
You have to roll on the Injury each time you shoot someone, it's to balance out the fact that all-shooting warbands are quite powerful compared to all-combat warbands (the enemy doesn't get to hit you back!)

And welcome to the forum! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
http://www.flameon.co.uk
RationalLemming
Etheral
Etheral
RationalLemming

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

PostSubject: Re: New Player, combat turn question   Combat - New Player, combat turn question Icon_minitimeWed 14 Jul 2010 - 6:04

WarbossKurgan is correct about rolling to injure again. Failing to do this is a mistake that many gaming groups (including my own gaming group until recently) make.
Back to top Go down
http://sites.google.com/site/ourhouserules/mordheim
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Player, combat turn question   Combat - New Player, combat turn question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Player, combat turn question
Page 1 of 1